Moyes: "January not an easy month to purchase in. We have a good squad."

We need a buy to signal intent as much as anything else. Look what Ozil did to Arsenal's confidence and initial form. We're just fans but the players undoubtedly feel some of the hesitation and concern we do. They're not used to being the 'budget' team making do through pure grit.

I think almost everyone out there knows that if we don't sign anyone in this window, we will not be in the CL next year. Maybe that's okay with Moyes and the Glazers, but it's not going to sit well with some of those players.

I don't think it would be ok with either Moyes or the Glaziers.

At United a "good squad" would not be sitting in 7th place after half a season unless it's being managed by an inept fool. So what Moyes is basically saying is...

You do have a good squad. You just don't have a solid, great first XI this season.

Of course it is, but he is right that it's a good squad - it won the PL quite easily last season

Agreed. I do think that we need a new left-back in January, however. Evra looks knackered, and we don't have any other reliable players in the squad who can step in to give him a rest.

It was good enough in 2012 no question about that but players have aged and others have strengthened whereas we have stood still.

If we had stood still (with Sir Alex still in charge), we'd be comfortably near the top of the table.

We've gone backwards, more than Dalglish or even Hodgson managed to do with Liverpool, or any of Chelsea's hundreds of managers between the 2 Mourinho reign. :(

Oh FFS, I'm gone.

*slams forum door*

Perhaps our current squad and our current manager aren't a great fit. I can imagine some managers being excited at the prospect of working with the likes of Kagawa, Nani, Zaha and Fabio. On balance, I believe we do have a good squad, though we may be at a point where several big names are nowhere near as good as their reputation (Vidic, Carrick, RVP haven't impressed at all this season), while some of the younger players still have a way to go before they are worthy starters.

He's saying what Sir Alex has said for years and every other manager in his position would (and will) say. January is a difficult time to bring quality in. It's been said by plenty of people on here before. And we do have a good squad. Sir Alex gave his teams that extra 10%, maybe even 20%, but funnily enough even if you took off 20% of our points total last season we'd still have won the league. The squad needs an injection of quality in a couple of positions but it is more than good enough to achieve our current goal of getting into Europe this season without that. We have one of the best players in the league coming back from injury soon, and while he's been out we've won 5 of our 6 games. How could anyone honestly be fuming at the suggestion that we have a good squad?

It doesn't mean he won't be trying to sign anyone.

If this is his ambitions, then it won't just be Rooney saying he wants to leave. Yet they will still be expecting fans to buy season tickets and shirts and other merchandise after a bad season. All we can hope is to win a trophy of some sort and go in the dreaded Europa League. Can we not just have the trophy and forget about Europe, unless we win the CL of course.

Reverse psychology.

We HAVE to buy in January. We absolutely have to, or else this season will end with us outside of the CL spots.

pretty much what Moyes said for the first half of the summer and it made us look stupid when we only signed Fellaini

The summer was a total disaster in the market and Moyes had many an ill thought out comment, todays comment though is the correct thing to say. If we sign nobody he is covered, if we do nobody will care about what he said.

You do have a good squad. You just don't have a solid, great first XI this season.

This. It's first XI quality we lack, and to be fair with Moyes it's hard to find that player in January. We still need to sign a midfielder though, even if we do get bent over. It's not worth risking falling out of the top 4.

No. He said you need several to win the champions league. Quotes were twisted by press

I don't see how that's much better, though. Even a midtable team would have been massively strengthened with the addition of several world class players. And how many is "several", exactly? 3? 4? 5?!

Saying that our current team is several new world class signings away from winning the CL(which ought to be our ambition, seeing as we're fecking Man Utd), is a massive insult to the team, and something Fergie never would have said. It was a cnutish thing to say then, and it's even more cnutish now to suddenly change his mind to just further back out of the transfer window. I hope for his sake it's a bluff. Not because I think we're screaming after new blood, but because at least then Moyes would be a man of his word.

What's this "6 game winning streak" everyone keeps banging on about? We won some games. Mostly against average teams and most of them by the odd goal. We're supposed to be doing this. Even when a bit average.

Results have been shit, the football has been shit and the league position is shit. If Moyes doesn't want to spend or more the club doesn't want to spend whats required then I can only see it going one way, FA Cup and CL results will basically be his life raft and if that pops he better hope we have clawed back a respectable league position or he is fecked.

I still think it's CL qualification or out the door for him.

I don't understand why you believe him.

I mean, it's transfer window, saying "we want to buy xxx" doesn't help what you could see last summer.

It's like when managers very often don't say, just after the game, that their teams have been poor, because it doesn't help the team when something like that is later written in press, on Twitter and discussed on SSN, MOTD etc. but I'm pretty sure they are livid in the dressing room.

What's this "6 game winning streak" everyone keeps banging on about? We won some games. Mostly against average teams and most of them by the odd goal. We're supposed to be doing this. Even when a bit average.

Agreed.

When he was openly talking about transfer targets in the summer people were going mental that he was being too open.

Now that he is trying to play down expectations, people are going mental that he is too cautious.

Exactly. Words mean feck all. Managers lie all the time.

If this is his ambitions, then it won't just be Rooney saying he wants to leave. Yet they will still be expecting fans to buy season tickets and shirts and other merchandise after a bad season. All we can hope is to win a trophy of some sort and go in the dreaded Europa League. Can we not just have the trophy and forget about Europe, unless we win the CL of course.

This is what grates me more than anything. We believe we are a better football club because we spend within our limits. How is this morally superior to someone putting his own money into a club instead of looking at the supporters as cash cows, which Manchester United has done for the past decade and a half.

Insert jokes about £26m bid for Fabregas, paying £27.5m for Fellaini

Oh really? If we have a good squad why is he braking one negative record after another and 7th in January then.

Exactly, he doesn't even realise that he is showing himself up as inept by saying it. If they are so good we should be doing better, why aren't we then?

I didnt realise winning streaks only counted against big sides and had to be won by more than one goal.

It was nothing special, but an improvement as far as results are concerned and more positive than the previous 6 games

Im pretty much still pissed of at the defeat and the performances if valencia, cleverley and evra and now I read this crap from him. The squad is not good enough.

If he said the squad wasn't good enough and needed strengthening, people would still tear him apart about it saying it won the league last season and how exactly would it make things easier for us to try and get players in January?

I said before that I don't expect us to add new players in January and I stand by it.

Teams that win 6 games in a row tend to be quite good.

We'll be idiots if we don't sort out the left back situation at the minimum in this window regardless of the difficulty in signing players. We're in for big trouble otherwise. Evra is knackered.

This is what grates me more than anything. We believe we are a better football club because we spend within our limits. How is this morally superior to someone putting his own money into a club instead of looking at the supporters as cash cows, which Manchester United has done for the past decade and a half.

I honestly think they treat the fans as mugs at time. They got away with it before because SAF brought us such happiness. They might be in for a nasty shock. As you say we have been quick to criticise the sugar daddy clubs, but am not entirely sure it is justified now.

Not surprised there .It was all about the summer window.

I for one wish he had laughed at how easy it is to sign players that are essential to other clubs League and Cup campaign's and then went on to criticize our squad, ideally singling out players who are already low on confidence and playing shit and ridiculed them. What the feck is wrong with the man?

If he said the squad wasn't enough and needed strengthening, people would still tear him apart about it saying it won the league last season and how exactly would it make things easier for us to try and get players in January?

He could easily have said something like you always look to strengthen no matter how good your team already is. Just look at bayern they bought gotze after winning the Cl. Whether we can in this window is another question. Something like that. He's coming off a defeat, supporters are frustrated. Theleast you expect is abit of tact when dealing with questions like these.

Agreed. I do think that we need a new left-back in January, however. Evra looks knackered, and we don't have any other reliable players in the squad who can step in to give him a rest.

I'm one of Evra's biggest fans - he's been a great player and a great servant to the club - but lately he isn't good enough. He may yet be again. He still has pace and trickery, but he needs competition and rest.