Moyes: "January not an easy month to purchase in. We have a good squad."

We need a buy to signal intent as much as anything else. Look what Ozil did to Arsenal's confidence and initial form. We're just fans but the players undoubtedly feel some of the hesitation and concern we do. They're not used to being the 'budget' team making do through pure grit.

I think almost everyone out there knows that if we don't sign anyone in this window, we will not be in the CL next year. Maybe that's okay with Moyes and the Glazers, but it's not going to sit well with some of those players.

we will make the top four this season with players we already have.

Not surprised there .It was all about the summer window.

We need a LB and proper back up RB. Also if our youth system is so fantastic why isn't there a back up RB from there? You would usually expect it to be a young player from the system.

"Yes, we have a poor squad, need to reinforce atleast 3 positions, I'll be looking through big clubs for signings so get ready to overprice your players. I love overpaying as well, so just in case, we've got plenty of money here. Please, rape us financially."

Teams that win 6 games in a row tend to be quite good.

He said that we are supposed to be doing that. Given the run of games that it was then he is certainly correct. We have gone from 1st - 7th. If we don't improve then we are looking at the worst title defence in Premier League history!

Moyes's job may be unique and difficult, but in my opinion, he is definitely underachieving considerably. I doubt that his profile as a manager is going to help him bring in the players that we need either.

Nonetheless, I think that if he can get Van Persie fit and happy then our season can be rescued. This should be the focus rather than landing a Fabregas profile type player in the January window.

"Yes, we have a poor squad, need to reinforce atleast 3 positions, I'll be looking through big clubs for signings so get ready to overprice your players. I love overpaying as well, so just in case, we've got plenty of money here. Please, rape us financially."

Repost this on January the 30th when we have signed no one.

He's saying what Sir Alex has said for years and every other manager in his position would (and will) say. January is a difficult time to bring quality in. It's been said by plenty of people on here before. And we do have a good squad. Sir Alex gave his teams that extra 10%, maybe even 20%, but funnily enough even if you took off 20% of our points total last season we'd still have won the league. The squad needs an injection of quality in a couple of positions but it is more than good enough to achieve our current goal of getting into Europe this season without that. We have one of the best players in the league coming back from injury soon, and while he's been out we've won 5 of our 6 games. How could anyone honestly be fuming at the suggestion that we have a good squad?

It doesn't mean he won't be trying to sign anyone.

Exactly! Agree with your point about Ferguson, but it's easy to forget that we have also been without our top striker for the majority of the year as well. He turned games like Wednesday night into points. Carrick has been missing for the majority of the season, and Rooney is far from 100%. Most people would have considered those players to be 3 of our most influential last season, and Rooney certainly has been this season. He inherited a title winning squad, and I can understand why he did what he did. I'm not making excuses, but he hasn't been able to keep that title winning side out on the field for an extended period.

At the end of the day, as you say, what he says here won't necessarily have a bearing on what he will do. No doubt people on here will criticise him anyway. Complete contrast to what it's like at games. We just need to keep our key players fit.

I didnt realise winning streaks only counted against big sides and had to be won by more than one goal.

It was nothing special, but an improvement as far as results are concerned and more positive than the previous 6 games

Obviously, but people talk as if it throws new light on everything. Or indeed anything. We won 6 fairly easy games over different competitions. In any other season no one would be drawing much attention to it. Par exemple...

When we were on that six game winning streak was anyone thinking our squad wasn't good?
Yes.
Teams that win 6 games in a row tend to be quite good.
Surely it all depends on who you beat, and how? Otherwise it's just blind stats.

Repost this on January the 30th when we have signed no one.

But if he said that we need to buy players just so some egos here can get a little massage and still bought feck all then it would've been ok ?

It doesn't matter what he says, it matters what he will do.

We have a good squad. Of course we do.
heh you should see my twitter feed irwhine. It's gone senile!! How could losing to tottenham mean our fans have lost all sense of perspective? What is going on?!?

Ye obviously losing at home is pretty bad but my word it's like people think we're destined for relegation

the worst thing about supporting United, is the pouring over every single word said by the manager.

We tried it the "yeah we're big shots with sh!tloads to spend" approach In the summer, so I applaud the admit nothing thing.

First I want to hear about a signing is when it's sealed.

We need a left back for me. Other than that, you are not going to get the type of players who will improve the first team in January. That's why the summer is highly important.

Things will look better when Jones, RVP, Nani and Fellaini return when it comes to the squad but we are missing left back cover if Moyes does not fancy Fabio there, which he clearly does not.

heh you should see my twitter feed irwhine. It's gone senile!! How could losing to tottenham mean our fans have lost all sense of perspective? What is going on?!?

Ye obviously losing at home is pretty bad but my word it's like people think we're destined for relegation

That's right, who would think Manchester United ever get relegated? Not that we will of course. However it is delusional to think we never will again.

We need a left back for me. Other than that, you are not going to get the type of players who will improve the first team in January.

Things will look better when Jones, RVP, Nani and Fellaini return.

Injuries haven't helped, he must have been excited to be coming to manage such a big squad and then he has probably had more injuries to key players than he ever had at Everton.

He could easily have said something like you always look to strengthen no matter how good your team already is. Just look at bayern they bought gotze after winning the Cl. Whether we can in this window is another question. Something like that. He's coming off a defeat, supporters are frustrated. Theleast you expect is abit of tact when dealing with questions like these.

So because he didn't say those words means he has no tact, and in DomesticTadpole's view he's inept because of it? Everyone knows he'll be looking to bring in players if possible - he has said that in previous interviews and press conferences. He doesn't need to repeat it again, and because he may not have said it this time doesn't mean a thing. The criticism over him saying that is ridiculous.

He said that we are supposed to be doing that. Given the run of games that it was then he is certainly correct. We have gone from 1st - 7th. If we don't improve then we are looking at the worst title defence in Premier League history!

Moyes's job may be unique and difficult, but in my opinion, he is definitely underachieving considerably. I doubt that his profile as a manager is going to help him bring in the players that we need either.

Nonetheless, I think that if he can get Van Persie fit and happy then our season can be rescued. This should be the focus rather than landing a Fabregas profile type player in the January window.

I don't know what people were saying about this 6 game run so I'm not sure what Mockney's arguing against, I'm just saying the fact we won 6 games in a row (and that's expected of us) is a sign that we do have a good squad - as Moyes said. My comment was only related to the topic in this thread. I don't think anyone's arguing against the idea that he's underachieved or using the fact that we went on that run as proof that we're having a great season.

So because he didn't say those words means he has no tact, and in DomesticTadpole's view he's inept because of it? Everyone knows he'll be looking to bring in players if possible - he has said that in previous interviews and press conferences. He doesn't need to repeat it again, and because he may not have said it this time (I'm sure there's more to what he said than those words) doesn't mean a thing. The criticism over him saying that is ridiculous.

Actually I think someone else said he was appearing inept and I tended to agree. I think he should be more guarded with what he says. SAF didn't trust the press and Moyes shouldn't either.

Injuries haven't helped, he must have been excited to be coming to manage such a big squad and then he has probably had more injuries to key players than he ever had at Everton.

The left back issue is clear though. Evra's been overplayed this season and he's getting to an age now where it should not be happening.

I'd be happy with us signing Baines or going back to Real to get Fabio Contreroa on loan for six months if that is still a possibility. If Moyes did sign Baines, he would probably get hammered for signing another Everton player but I evaluate those things on a deal by deal basis and I don't see many better available full backs. Plus Luke Shaw is probably going to go to Chelsea.

Actually I think someone else said he was appearing inept and I tended to agree. I think he should be more guarded with what he says. SAF didn't trust the press and Moyes shouldn't either.

And him not saying that the squad is poor and we need more players means that he isn't being guarded? What he said there is being guarded with what he said.

In the summer, he commented on transfers a lot - with Fabregas etc and he got vilified for it. This time he IS being guarded about it and rightfully so, yet is being crucified for it and you think he isn't being guarded?

We've got a good squad - that's the truth. Some key injuries coupled with a period of uncertainty / identity has seen us get some uncharacteristic results.

Even though we have a good squad, even with 1 or 2 players we could be quite a bit better. It's completely possible because end of the day money will talk. The club though are not willing to do whatever it takes - probably because they think of it as a short term solution. Easy to see the thinking is they need to think long term and not pay over the odds now because that might put them in an endless cycle of paying over what they value players at.

For us that way of thinking means for at least this season we are going to maybe make Europa league at best - not a great feeling for the fans. For the short term that may be acceptable to Moyes/Glazers as they think they'll be able to get back to where we need to through continuing doing the way we've always worked which has served us pretty well so far.

Huge risk in that line of thinking though.

1) Compared to previous seasons in the league, there is far more fierce competition at the top. Even when United haven't been great, they've had a relative easy ride to get into the top 4. That will no longer be the case.

2) Banks a lot on the "we are United" and that is enough to still attract players - when reality has been even when we've been winning league titles and going to CL finals, we've had a hard time snagging the marquee names.

We do have a good squad and in any other season, I think we'd easily make top 4. We need a little bit of inspiration and a good signing or two really could do that. Players talked about how getting RVP last season just gave that extra bit of belief when he walked in. For once we should consider the short term because of the potential huge impact it could have for the long term.

And him not saying that the squad is poor and we need more players means that he isn't being guarded? What he said there is being guarded with what he said.

In the summer, he commented on transfers a lot - with Fabregas etc and he got vilified for it. This time he IS being guarded about it and rightfully so, yet is being crucified for it and you think he isn't being guarded?

I just wish he would decide exactly what he is going to be. One or the other. He keeps saying something and then later on he contradict himself.

It is a very good squad so he's right about that. He's getting feck all out of it which is the problem. So he might just need to make some signings to change that.

I just wish he would decide exactly what he is going to be. One or the other. He keeps saying something and then later on he contradict himself.

Ok, and what has he contradicted himself with this time?

It was last summer when he commented on everything. 5 months later changing his tact does not mean he's being indecisive and that he hasn't decided what he's going to be. In my view he's decided what he's going to be/do - and that's to keep things close to his chest.

We've got a good squad - that's the truth. Some key injuries coupled with a period of uncertainty / identity has seen us get some uncharacteristic results.

Even though we have a good squad, even with 1 or 2 players we could be quite a bit better. It's completely possible because end of the day money will talk. The club though are not willing to do whatever it takes - probably because they think of it as a short term solution. Easy to see the thinking is they need to think long term and not pay over the odds now because that might put them in an endless cycle of paying over what they value players at.

For us that way of thinking means for at least this season we are going to maybe make Europa league at best - not a great feeling for the fans. For the short term that may be acceptable to Moyes/Glazers as they think they'll be able to get back to where we need to through continuing doing the way we've always worked which has served us pretty well so far.

Huge risk in that line of thinking though.

1) Compared to previous seasons in the league, there is far more fierce competition at the top. Even when United haven't been great, they've had a relative easy ride to get into the top 4. That will no longer be the case.

2) Banks a lot on the "we are United" and that is enough to still attract players - when reality has been even when we've been winning league titles and going to CL finals, we've had a hard time snagging the marquee names.

We do have a good squad and in any other season, I think we'd easily make top 4. We need a little bit of inspiration and a good signing or two really could do that. Players talked about how getting RVP last season just gave that extra bit of belief when he walked in. For once we should consider the short term because of the potential huge impact it could have for the long term.

That is definitely true, we have never been able to sign the massive names from abroad, that is why I can never understand why everybody thinks that will change.

What was left beind had the makings of a mostly competitive squad not to mention a whole summer window to attend to any obvious weak spots.

So far as January is concerned Moyes and Woodward have had four months to decide upon the club's primary targets as well as commence preliminary negotiations [quietly as SAF/Gill used to do], therefore unless we intend bypassing these next four weeks entirely i would expect some sort of movement fairly shortly.

Ok, and what has he contradicted himself with this time?

He said he wanted to make some signing in the summer. I am not entirely blaming him for what happened. As has just been mentioned we have never been able to attract the really big players from abroad and that was with SAF so why go sniffing around there. They were on a hiding to nothing. We just seem incapable of finding the hidden gems anymore. The fact that scouting has gone out of the window to an extent and clubs let agents dictate who is available. We are also competing with the London clubs, where a lot of players seem to want to live and City with their money. Hells bells I'm depressing myself now. He must have someone in mind. I would be happy with a LB to help out Evra.

His comments on Rooney say a lot for me. "I would rest him if I could". Doesn't strike me as a manger who is completely content with the strength of his squad.

We will just have to see what happens.

I read an interview by Mitten saying the club are deliberately playing down expectations due to what happened in the summer when they promised the world and delivered nothing. This obviously ties in with that, although Moyes is right, we do have a good squad, the problem is they're drastically underperforming.

A good quote from Moyes. He's right. The squad is actually rather great. I'd love it even more if he told us what exactly it is our ground breaking coaches Steve Round and Phil Neville are doing to improve the passing, movement and aesthetics of this team in training.

I think Moyes gets stick for the wrong things. These quotes are very true. What I do want to see is some slight indication that he actually knows what to do with it.

If we can't buy quality player who will improve our first XI, then what's the point of buying another average player then? Our squad depth is more than okay(except on LB), we don't need numbers, and if meant it like that, I think he is right.
If anything, our depth has costed us few times earlier in the season when we just kept rotating players for every game and we looked disorganised like some of those players just met eachother, our defence looked awfull. I am yet to see a team in premiership that has 4 good strikers(2 world class, one potentialy world class striker, and 4th choice who can score 20 goals a season) or 5 good centre backs.

We have a good squad.

We also have a group of cretins within our fanbase, many of whom are in this thread talking absolute shite.

He's right on both counts, we do have a good squad, needing 2 or 3 quality players doesn't mean we have an average squad, i know that new players can make a difference, but we all know that top players don't leave in January, we must be ready to wait till the summer.

We have a good squad, just happens that's its not good enough ATM.
We have a manager that appears a little out of his depth but should be given time to turn things around.
A lot of people need to wind their necks in and tighten the nut, just support the team.

He's right on both counts, we do have a good squad, needing 2 or 3 quality players doesn't mean we have an average squad, i know that new players can make a difference, but we all know that top players don't leave in January, we must be ready to wait till the summer.

yep we do...but we should also bear in mind that if we don't reach fourth, then some of those team changing players won't want to think about coming to us..

:lol: Moyes says exactly what Fergie has been saying, and yet Moyes is being lambasted. I know our current position is worse off than when Fergie was here, but I'm amazed some of you lot expect him to say "Yeah, we have a shit squad - I'm definitely going to need to buy a few players".