Moyes: "January not an easy month to purchase in. We have a good squad."

Not really, but if we don't get CL football next season he might find Manchester United with David Moyes is not as attractive to players as Manchester United with David Moyes. If they think there is no value now, what do they think the value will be in the summer after a World Cup? His job might be harder as no saying Rooney and RVP will be here either. How to do you replace their quality with no CL football. I just hope these players buck their ideas up and we don't get more injuries. This is depressing, hope we get a cup win to cheer us all up.

Yeah, they wouldn't care about finishing fifth, they just wouldn't want to play under Moyes.

That is the big point, it isn't finishing outside the Top 4, if SAF was still here or a bigger name manager, not even that a manager who had the charisma to charm players to come to us. Just don't think Moyes has that. He seems unsure of what he wants and what is actually happening round him. That is what it is going need or absolutely extortionate wages. Someone is going to need the gift of the gab.

Look through the first page on your recent posts mate. Seriously, just have a read. Perhaps you don't realise just how much anti-Moyes stuff you're posting. It's incessant, but you're not alone, and it really is getting tedious.

Honestly, this is the leading Manchester United fan forum and look at it. What happened to supporting our manager and being above all the pettiness that surrounds other clubs? We're showing ourselves to be no better at all, in fact we're increasingly looking like a bunch of spoilt, small time arses, bitching and moaning at every negative headline or quote.

We're Manchester United, we're fecking better than this. At least, we should be.

You are right, in a way, that is our opinion. However, we might be Manchester United, mid table team or at least out of the CL. Top foreign players will want CL football, so then you are not buying the top notch players. They won't give a toss that we are Manchester United, only we care about that.

How do you lot know who will and who won't want to play for Moyes?

If players want to pass up the opportunity to play for Utd good luck to them, it happened under Fergie too, it will

Edit: now being Man Utd carries no sway with players? Right.

If players want to pass up the opportunity to play for Utd good luck to them, it happened under Fergie too, it will

Maybe, I realise that, some people on here think we are the only club in the world and that everyone would play for us even if we were in the Championship. I just hope we can pull ourselves together and get in the CL. The Europa League could mess with our efforts to get into it next season. I would love to win a cup, but then that would guarantee us a Europa League place.

Except RVP I reckon all the players we have signed in the last 5 seasons would have signed regardless if we finished outside top 4 in 1 season. We very rarely sign the top players in the world it's more the potential top players and they all know United is a great place for nurturing youth. Plus we have only swapped places with Chelsea in the last season without the circus. We will be back our players are too good not to regardless what anybody thinks of the manager.

Yeah, even under Fergie, we had trouble attracting the very best because we simply do not pay the going rate in transfer fees or wages. If we don't even offer CL football, it will be even more difficult.

The name Manchester United carries very little sway among the very top players who have the pick of the elite clubs. Money and chance of success is far more important. We're one of the elite clubs which, in theory, should be able to lure the best players but we don't stand a chance if we don't offer as much as other clubs of similar stature do in the other two aspects.

We very rarely sign the top players in the world it's more the potential top players and they all know United is a great place for nurturing youth.

A point seemingly lost on so many.

Sorry it doesn't work like that. The top footballers will always have a lot of big clubs chasing them. They are attracted to money and CL in that order. Good luck signing the likes of Vidal, Gundogan etc. without CL football and with the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, even City after them. Unless you find a top player who always had a burning desire to play for United. We fans care about the name. But majority of footballers don't.

Because it's quite irrelevant now. Even potential top players are courted by almost all the big clubs and oil clubs these days, see the example of Hazard or Alexis Sánchez back then.

We can always hope to get some obscure bargain who turns out to be insanely good but it's getting more and more difficult.

The name Manchester United carries very little sway among the very top players who have the pick of the elite clubs. Money and chance of success is far more important. We're one of the elite clubs which, in theory, should be able to lure the best players but we don't stand a chance if we don't offer as much as other clubs of similar stature do in the other two aspects.

In the past 40 years when have we based our transfer policy on signing these sort of players?

"Would you like to play for Manchester United, one of the most successful and wealthiest clubs of all time, including the past 10 years?"

"No, they might finish fifth."

Seriously. Some of you are insane.

If we offer enough money they will. On the other side considering that we'll lose 30m or more * if we don't qualify for UCL (and other clubs which we will compete against will get those money) and Glazers were never that much generous when it come to splashing the cash, it will be e bit more difficult than usual. I completely agree with the poster who said that for modern players the priorities are money, UCL, name of the club (in order)

* Does the Chevrolet and the new TV deal start from next season? If yes then that 30m won't be such a big lose cause it will get compensated from these two deals.

Because it's quite irrelevant now. Even potential top players are courted by almost all the big clubs and oil clubs these days, see the example of Hazard or Alexis Sánchez back then.

We can always hope to get some obscure bargain who turns out to be insanely good but it's getting more and more difficult.

So we have literally no chance of signing anyone then.

Close the doors I guess, and put the hard hat on because the sky is truly falling.

Sorry it doesn't work like that. The top footballers will always have a lot of big clubs chasing them. They are attracted to money and CL in that order. Good luck signing the likes of Vidal, Gundogan etc. without CL football and with the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, even City after them. Unless you find a top player who always had a burning desire to play for United. We fans care about the name. But majority of footballers don't.

Apart from all the dedicated die hard football fans who tend to turn up in their droves every August and Jan, who says we're trying to sign those players?

Close the doors I guess, and put the hard hat on because the sky is truly falling.

Yeah, drop the tedious sarcastic stuff, that's not even remotely close to what I said.

No CL makes it harder to attract players because we have to be more careful with money and can't offer Champions League football. These are more important considerations for most players than the name of Manchester United. That's all. That's why it's very important to get CL football, so we have the best possible chance of rebuilding.

It's at best naive to say that not being in the CL would not impact our chances of attracting the required quality just because we are Manchester United.

We will sign players, but not the ones all the threads are about. There again we rarely do sign the ones the threads are about.

They are maybe going to have to get their scouting system working properly. There must be players out there. Clubs are too lazy now and just let agents push players onto them.

Apart from all the dedicated die hard football fans who tend to turn up in their droves every August and Jan, who says we're trying to sign those players?

So you're saying we don't need to sign a top class central midfielder who's ready to step into the first team?

What are 'those players'? Top players? Players that cost a lot of money? They come hand in hand these days. I admire United's policy of buying young players or academy players and bringing them through. But, sometimes a club needs to reinforce that by buying a footballer that is already top class to fix an area in their squad. See Bayern Munich. They had their academy players coming through but also bought the likes of Robben, Ribery. They bought Javi Martinez for a lot of money because Heynckes deemed it necessary and he did extremely well for them and was one of the key players in their treble season. You look at that hole in our current midfield, surely you can't say that we don't need to spend money to bring in a top midfielder in the mould of Vidal or Gundogan? Or are you planning on waiting till Pearson matures? Our midfield has reached the stage where it needs immediate boost, not a young player who can potentially go on to be a top player.

Also, I'm assuming you're saying that United go for young players and not big money players. But these talented young players are going for loads of money nowadays. See: Isco, Gotze, Hazard. The pool of 'uncovered gems' is getting smaller and smaller. Like it or not, we have to start spending money to keep up with other big clubs, both for quality players and for young players.

So you're saying we don't need to sign a top class central midfielder who's ready to step into the first team?

What are 'those players'? Top players? Players that cost a lot of money? They come hand in hand these days. I admire United's policy of buying young players or academy players and bringing them through. But, sometimes a club needs to reinforce that by buying a footballer that is already top class to fix an area in their squad. See Bayern Munich. They had their academy players coming through but also bought the likes of Robben, Ribery. They bought Javi Martinez for a lot of money because Heynckes deemed it necessary and he did extremely well for them and was one of the key players in their treble season. You look at that hole in our current midfield, surely you can't say that we don't need to spend money to bring in a top midfielder in the mould of Vidal or Gundogan? Or are you planning on waiting till Pearson matures? Our midfield has reached the stage where it needs immediate boost, not a young player who can potentially go on to be a top player.

Also, I'm assuming you're saying that United go for young players and not big money players. But these talented young players are going for loads of money nowadays. See: Isco, Gotze, Hazard. The pool of 'uncovered gems' is getting smaller and smaller. Like it or not, we have to start spending money to keep up with other big clubs, both for quality players and for young players.

Big money and quality don't always go together. They will just have to make sure they make the right decision.

We were never going to make signings in January.

The best players in the world who we want are all established players at their clubs and will not risk losing that place in a world cup year. Even the best players will take time to embed in a new team.

Young exciting players, again are probably 'exciting' at the moment probably because they are getting game time (I.e barkley), they wouldn't want to risk moving to a bigger club and fighting for place in a world cup year.

Big money and quality don't always go together. They will just have to make sure they make the right decision.

No they don't. But proven quality players cost big money, and that's what we need at the moment. Unless our scouts find an obscure player in Portugal or something who's ready to be the midfielder to improve us and bridge the gap between us and other big European clubs.

We were never going to make signings in January.

The best players in the world who we want are all established players at their clubs and will not risk losing that place in a world cup year. Even the best players will take time to embed in a new team.

Young exciting players, again are probably 'exciting' at the moment probably because they are getting game time (I.e barkley), they wouldn't want to risk moving to a bigger club and fighting for place in a world cup year.

And anyway, the squad we have should be good enough to get in the top four.

Where's all these damaging articles today?

And anyway, the squad we have should be good enough to get in the top four.

That is the point, yes we know the squad had deficiencies that needed addressing, but it should still be capable of being in the Top 4. Have the other teams strengthened that much to put us in this situation?

People don't actually believe we won't sign anyone (loan or otherwise) this month do they?

I'll bet 10 English pounds that we do.

Are there any semi decent midfielders available for loan I wonder? Someone experienced...

No they don't. But proven quality players cost big money, and that's what we need at the moment. Unless our scouts find an obscure player in Portugal or something who's ready to be the midfielder to improve us and bridge the gap between us and other big European clubs.

The problem is even the top European clubs are after these players. Take Matic for example, hes at Benfica - a move to Utd would be a step up and he would improve us substantially. But City and Chelsea are both in for him. Without CL football, we won't get him as the other clubs can provide it.

Yes we are Manchester United - but unfortunately the history and name of a club means less and less to the modern day football player. We as fans might not like it but its the truth.

Why would it be so unbelievable?

Because of how shit we've been and because of how clear Moyes has made it previously about the need for new players.

Moyes tried to sign 2 left backs in the Summer. Has anything happened between then and now to change his mind?

Including the manager when he bemoaned in the Summer that we needed World Class players :p

I agree though, hence why i'd prefer the club go for players like Rakitic, Sandro etc. We should be going after the worlds best youngsters though, players like Hazard, Draxler etc.

Don't see why people go on about Sandro. Quality player yes but seems to suffer at least 1 medium-long term injury every season.

That is the big point, it isn't finishing outside the Top 4, if SAF was still here or a bigger name manager, not even that a manager who had the charisma to charm players to come to us. Just don't think Moyes has that. He seems unsure of what he wants and what is actually happening round him. That is what it is going need or absolutely extortionate wages. Someone is going to need the gift of the gab.
That post wasn't serious. In the slightest.

Don't see why people go on about Sandro. Quality player yes but seems to suffer at least 1 medium-long term injury every season.

He only missed 5 games last season, 3 in a row due to an injury. That's not exactly terrible! Still managed over 2000mins! Young players always tend to pick up niggly injuries as their bodies haven't fully developed. I think he's going to end up being a fantastic LB.

Anyway, this is in the wrong thread!

On topic: Dave's not wonderful at media stuff is he? He needs to start banning a few reporters.

He only missed 5 games last season, 3 in a row due to an injury. That's not exactly terrible! Still managed over 2000mins! Young players always tend to pick up niggly injuries as their bodies haven't fully developed. I think he's going to end up being a fantastic LB.

Anyway, this is in the wrong thread!

On topic: Dave's not wonderful at media stuff is he? He needs to start banning a few reporters.

Erm... wrong Sandro I think! :lol:

I've just read a rather shocking statistic on Skysports

It's taken 16 Premier League matches before any of the club's midfielders registered a goal or an assist.

Seriously?