Moyes: "January not an easy month to purchase in. We have a good squad."

I've just read a rather shocking statistic on Skysports

It's taken 16 Premier League matches before any of the club's midfielders registered a goal or an assist.

Seriously?

Well Giggs got an assist on the opening day according to Transfermarket. Clev scored against Villa. But those are the only stats for all of our midfielders (which includes Kagawa and Phil Jones).

What makes me laugh is that Januzaj has 3 goals and 3 assists, that puts him 4th on our goal scoring chart and joint 2nd on our assist chart. Makes you appreciate the shit we're in when an 18 year old in his opening season has some of the best stats in the team. Putting that into perspective, Januzaj has scored more goals so far than Valencia, Young and Nani combined.

:lol: I'm talking about Alex Sandro the left back at Porto :p

:nervous:

It's taken 16 Premier League matches before any of the club's midfielders registered a goal or an assist.

Seriously?

Not surprising to me I've gotta say. We've looked utterly toothless through the middle (Rooney aside) for years but this year has been particularly poor.

We'll sign someone I think. I reckon it'll be a left back though. Hopefully Coentrao. He seems to be available.

I don't think he's bluffing.
Me either which is weird because it was only a few months ago that it looks certain we would be in the market. Its scary because I feel we will be hearing a lot of excuses in the next two windows... "its difficult signing top players in January" "With players away with the world cup its a difficult time"

People that are saying its all probably a bluff is odd as I believe it would have no impact on how much we sign a player for. Regardless of whether Moyes comes out and says we are or we aren't shouldn't have any bearing on the selling club - by merely bidding in the window clubs will have the perception we are desperate and up the price anyway regardless of what Moyes says in public. Hence why I believe we wont be in the market hes doesn't seem like the SAF type who would play his cards close to his chest

Going by the summer transfer window debacle, July and August are not easy months to buy either considering it was a last minute panic buy that was our only move.

Going by the summer transfer window debacle, July and August are not easy months to buy either considering it was a last minute panic buy that was our only move.
Well judging by our new CEO and other people involved in that team every window will be difficult to make new signings... Unless its signing a new commercial deal...

Well Giggs got an assist on the opening day according to Transfermarket. Clev scored against Villa. But those are the only stats for all of our midfielders (which includes Kagawa and Phil Jones).

What makes me laugh is that Januzaj has 3 goals and 3 assists, that puts him 4th on our goal scoring chart and joint 2nd on our assist chart. Makes you appreciate the shit we're in when an 18 year old in his opening season has some of the best stats in the team. Putting that into perspective, Januzaj has scored more goals so far than Valencia, Young and Nani combined.

It's much worse than that. Januzaj has scored as many league goals in 14 appearances this season as Valencia, Young and Nani have in a combined 95 appearances over the last season and a half.

Me either which is weird because it was only a few months ago that it looks certain we would be in the market. Its scary because I feel we will be hearing a lot of excuses in the next two windows... "its difficult signing top players in January" "With players away with the world cup its a difficult time"

People that are saying its all probably a bluff is odd as I believe it would have no impact on how much we sign a player for. Regardless of whether Moyes comes out and says we are or we aren't shouldn't have any bearing on the selling club - by merely bidding in the window clubs will have the perception we are desperate and up the price anyway regardless of what Moyes says in public. Hence why I believe we wont be in the market hes doesn't seem like the SAF type who would play his cards close to his chest

:lol:

Why do people keep pretending the things Moyes is doing is somehow miles apart from what Sir Alex did? Just last January he said this:

"I will not be bringing anybody in, in January - definitely not,". Link

Sir Alex has said stuff like this all the time so it's bizarre that Moyes saying it has caused such uproar.

It's much worse than that. Januzaj has scored as many league goals in 14 appearances this season as Valencia, Young and Nani have in a combined 95 appearances over the last season and a half.

Holy feck you're right. Valencia, Young and Nani managed an impressive combined goal tally of 2 last season. Wow. :lol:

Seriously?

Cleverley vs Villa?

Can't say I'm that surprised, really. Our goal threat from the center of the park is non-existant.

Thing is though, the likes of Özil will get classed as a midfielder when Rooney, playing even deeper in midfield (and getting assists from there) doesn't.

Was the OP really intended to make this another thread just to slag off Moyes?

Have we not realised by now that anything any manager says about transfers is usually a load of rubbish?

My semi-realistic dream scenario for Moyes re-sculpting the side in the summer:

Vidic and Evra out of contract. Gone.
Ferdinand retires. Fabio gets sold.
Anderson gone, Giggs retires.
One or maybe even two of Nani, Young, Valencia, Zaha gets sold. Take your pick really.
Rooney fecks off.

Moyes declares that Rooney leaving 'will solve a lot of problems' as he can now play 4-2-3-1 and that he's already earmarked Kagawa and Januzaj for the role behind the striker. "We'll be in the market for a winger to replace Rooney."

You'll sign Baines, a centreback of some sort, a central midfielder (probably Cabaye) and a winger.

Leaving you with:
  • De gea in nets - top class
  • A decently good backfour nonetheless entirely void of the world class quality it used to have in 2-3 positions.
  • A central midfield of an ageing Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley and Moyes new guy.
  • Kagawa finally getting a chance to fail in his favoured position and a kid having to pick up the slack (he'll be your star man before the season is over) in the hole.
  • 3 average wingers and maybe a good one if Moyes can get it right.
  • An ageing Van Persie who seems to have lost his mojo, Hernandez and Welbeck up front. Welbeck covering wings and the hole as well when needed.
A team with only two major profiles from the Ferguson era left, Van Persie and Carrick, both of them rapidly approaching over-the-hill status.
I suppose if Moyes could manage to find world class players for his centreback, midfield and winger signings it would look good enough, but I don't see him getting more than one of those right.

My semi-realistic dream scenario for Moyes re-sculpting the side in the summer:

Vidic and Evra out of contract. Gone.
Ferdinand retires. Fabio gets sold.
Anderson gone, Giggs retires.
One or maybe even two of Nani, Young, Valencia, Zaha gets sold. Take your pick really.
Rooney fecks off.
I finally find a job.

Moyes declares that Rooney leaving 'will solve a lot of problems' as he can now play 4-2-3-1 and that he's already earmarked Kagawa and Januzaj for the role behind the striker. "We'll be in the market for a winger to replace Rooney."

You'll sign Baines, a centreback of some sort, a central midfielder (probably Cabaye) and a winger.

Leaving you with:
  • De gea in nets - top class
  • A decently good backfour nonetheless entirely void of the world class quality it used to have in 2-3 positions.
  • A central midfield of an ageing Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley and Moyes new guy.
  • Kagawa finally getting a chance to fail in his favoured position and a kid having to pick up the slack (he'll be your star man before the season is over) in the hole.
  • 3 average wingers and maybe a good one if Moyes can get it right.
  • An ageing Van Persie who seems to have lost his mojo, Hernandez and Welbeck up front. Welbeck covering wings and the hole as well when needed.
A team with only two major profiles from the Ferguson era left, Van Persie and Carrick, both of them rapidly approaching over-the-hill status.

I suppose if Moyes could manage to find world class players for his centreback, midfield and winger signings it would look good enough, but I don't see him getting more than one of those right.

That's a very pessimistic outlook imo. I think that Vidić will prolong his contract and we'll get some decent CB in too because Rio will retire and Vidić won't play as often, we'll get rid of Anderson and get some decent CM who can actually pass the ball. If Rooney fecks off, then I'm sure that Kagawa would work very well in the hole.

Well this is bollocks. If we don't buy we are not going to make the top 4, it is obvious. This squad, complete with the manager we have is not good enough to get us there. We have to get true top quality in order to bridge the gap.

Well this is bollocks. If we don't buy we are not going to make the top 4, it is obvious. This squad, complete with the manager we have is not good enough to get us there. We have to get true top quality in order to bridge the gap.

Seems to me that the club don't trust him to spend the money, at least without proving himself with the squad at his disposal.

Seems to me that the club don't trust him to spend the money, at least without proving himself with the squad at his disposal.
There's also a small issue of first getting rid of players like Anderson, Young, Valencia etc. High earners in poor form that very few clubs will be tempted to buy.

Moyes - ''There is an urgency that we would like to bring players in but are those players available in January?'\

''There is no point in me hyping it up and saying we are because players we would like to bring in are probably not available'

Moyes - ''There is an urgency that we would like to bring players in but are those players available in January?'\

''There is no point in me hyping it up and saying we are because players we would like to bring in are probably not available'

Something tells me they wont be any easier to get in the summer too. Oh, and Woodie the Idiot should try paying fair market price for once

Sadly he will get villified for this. I've criticized him a lot and even on quotes but i'm beyond the point of caring anymore. It doesnt make me any happier so why bother

Has he now backtracked on "We've a good squad"? :rolleyes:

Dunno I've lost track now, it's a good squad but he's desperate to buy new players? All I know is that we have to buy some top players this month otherwise we are not getting in the top 4 with this lot and as a result he might find himself out of job in the summer. Maybe he has been made aware of this…..

The two are not mutually exclusive. We have a good squad that needs reinforcements. He really said nothing wrong this time.

My only fear is that we'll find it similarly difficult to sign anyone in a World Cup year, with the way we operate in the transfer market.

Yes, but he didn't say we're looking to add to our squad, "There's an urgency to bring players in" make it sound desperate.

Why do people keep pretending the things Moyes is doing is somehow miles apart from what Sir Alex did? Just last January he said this:

Sir Alex has said stuff like this all the time so it's bizarre that Moyes saying it has caused such uproar.

The noises Moyes has been making for the last few weeks regarding transfers are straight from Fergie's copy book. People want to believe he is bluffing and we'll sign someone.

United do not have the finances to just go out and gamble on expensive players on a whim/panic mid-season - this has been evident for a few years.

The noises Moyes has been making for the last few weeks regarding transfers are straight from Fergie's copy book. People want to believe he is bluffing and we'll sign someone.

United do not have the finances to just go out and gamble on expensive players on a whim/panic mid-season - this has been evident for a few years.

So we do that in August instead?

Moyes was let down by the board in the summer. If there ever was a time to splash £50-60 million on a world class talent then it is now. It could potentially give us a huge life. Welcome back RvP and Rooney to the side and suddenly things look a lot brighter. But despite Eddy's claims in the summer we've not shown any evidence that we are capable of doing it despite raking in hundreds of millions of pounds a year.

:lol:

And we didnt bring anyone in? What am I missing here?

Moyes was let down by the board in the summer. If there ever was a time to splash £50-60 million on a world class talent then it is now. It could potentially give us a huge life. Welcome back RvP and Rooney to the side and suddenly things look a lot brighter. But despite Eddy's claims in the summer we've not shown any evidence that we are capable of doing it despite raking in hundreds of millions of pounds a year.
Agreed.

I think it's a whole lot of bullshit. The club was the source of a lot of hot air in the summer - and since when do United do their dealings in public? Seems to me that they wanted to appear to be in the market (sponsors) but when it comes down to it they are not prepared to invest the levels needed.

On a similar vein, this is worth reading http://www1.skysports.com/football/...vest-in-world-class-talent-says-jeff-stelling

I read an article from September where he claimed it was a tactic.to wait until Afromans release.clause expires and that....that summer is.fecking hilarious when you look at ir from certain perspective