Most overrated ex Manchester United players

Owen Hargreaves

I sometimes see posts about what a good addition he was to our central midfield, when his best outings for United came on right back and right wing, and he was (surprise surprise) so often injured that couldn’t even reach 40 matches for us in 3 seasons.

Schmeichel is a good shout. Think we often forget how awful he actually was during the 99 treble season and we often succeeded in spite of his blunders. And graciously for him its his heroics at the FA Cup semi final against Arsenal which we mostly remember him for during that season. Definitely agree with the assessment that VDS was the superior keeper for us.

A bit of a controversial shout - but Evra for me. I loved him to bits (still do!) but his trajectory with us was a bit of a bell curve - started horrendously, then became a solid member of an otherwise excellent back 5 during our peak in European football, and then became somewhat of a liability during his final seasons with us to the extent some of us wanted Alexander feckin Buttner to displace him in the side :lol: . He also pretty much stayed second fiddle to Eric Abidal for the French NT until the latter retired.

No, quite simply I think Varane in ETH’s first season was far better than anything Maguire has shown. Last season was a pretty good one for Maguire, but even then I don’t think much better than Varane last year, and nowhere near as good as Varane in 2022-23. Varane’s first season was a bit underwhelming but not as calamitous as Maguire that year. So already, the claim of Maguire being clearly better during their shared time at United is shaky, in my opinion, and I don’t think Maguire’s first two seasons do much to bolster his United C.V.
I'd have Varane on the pitch over Maguire at any point of those three seasons.

Jesus Christ! Some of the names here...Carrick, Gary Neville, Scholes, Park, Rooney? What is going on?

All I need from this thread is the name of whatever you guys are on.

O'shea. Yeah he was flexible but any other player whos willing to do the same things as he did would have done just as well I reckon

Tevez, he was fortunate to be part of a great team and was a hard working player but for me he was involved in to many 0-0 and lacked cutting edge threat too often.

Owen Hargreaves

I sometimes see posts about what a good addition he was to our central midfield, when his best outings for United came on right back and right wing, and he was (surprise surprise) so often injured that couldn’t even reach 40 matches for us in 3 seasons.

I don't think he's overrated throughout his career but in his one full season here the midfield did always feel a lot more open when he was playing for me.

He was meant to have the opposite effect. I think this may have played a role in him being moved outside.

I don't reckon that many rate his time here all that highly but if they do I'd agree it's overrated.

He didn't lead United. Keane might have done it. Ronaldo or Rooney might have done it. But never Paul Scholes. If we look at the most important games United had... CL-semifinal 99, Scholes on the bench, CL final 2008 Scholes subbed off, CL final 2009 didn't even start. How was he the most important player? Never even once club's player of the season. IMO all this shows that Scholes was overrated. Most of you can't even argue about it, it's just "but he was the best!" "How can you say that!". As I said, Scholes was extremely good, a very, very good and even great player for a long time, but he was never the most important player, he wasn't even the most important midfielder for long spells at his own club.

Scholes was a tempo player, much like Carrick. They don’t really do anything flashy but they keep the ball ticking over. I think most people saw the importance of Scholes at the end of his career when he dropped deeper in midfield. I agree in the early stage of his career he was no where near as important to the team. In the 90s he was effectively an AM, then became a supporting striker for United in 2002/03. It was after 2005 we saw the best from him. I would love a Scholes type player in our midfield and hoping Mainoo can fill the void.

He didn't lead United. Keane might have done it. Ronaldo or Rooney might have done it. But never Paul Scholes. If we look at the most important games United had... CL-semifinal 99, Scholes on the bench, CL final 2008 Scholes subbed off, CL final 2009 didn't even start. How was he the most important player? Never even once club's player of the season. IMO all this shows that Scholes was overrated. Most of you can't even argue about it, it's just "but he was the best!" "How can you say that!". As I said, Scholes was extremely good, a very, very good and even great player for a long time, but he was never the most important player, he wasn't even the most important midfielder for long spells at his own club.
08 wasn’t he subbed off at ET with a bloody nose and had ran his race?

08 wasn’t he subbed off at ET with a bloody nose and had ran his race?
Yeah he came off near the end of normal time. He was lucky to stay on the pitch after that head clash but of course he powered through it and was heavily involved in the Ronaldo goal. Just more nonsense from Mickson.

Schmeichel is a good shout. Think we often forget how awful he actually was during the 99 treble season and we often succeeded in spite of his blunders. And graciously for him its his heroics at the FA Cup semi final against Arsenal which we mostly remember him for during that season. Definitely agree with the assessment that VDS was the superior keeper for us.

I mean that was his 8th season with United and there was a reason he decided to call it quits on his time here that year.

He was absolutely fantastic for the rest of his time at United and definitely wasn’t overrated.

Sorry I can't have Schmeichel in this.

All goalies make errors but he was amazing. Remember the Newcastle match when Cantona scored the only goal?

We should have conceded 5+ he was amazing in that game.

The FA Cup penalty save that let Giggs score the legendary winner?

All the distribution, all the wonder saves and blocks.

He is a United legend in my eyes it's not even up for discussion for me.

Yes he tarnished it a bit after he left but that doesn't alter the fact that he and Cantona were absolute steals and club legends.

I really struggle to believe people think he was overrated.

You put him in goal now in his mid twenties and he's worth more than any keeper alive.

RVP had 1 good season and looked like he downed tools when SAF left

Some here think he was Ruud’s equal! Madness

Yeah he came off near the end of normal time. He was lucky to stay on the pitch after that head clash but of course he powered through it and was heavily involved in the Ronaldo goal. Just more nonsense from Mickson.

Are you kidding me, Is it nonsense to state a fact? How about you come up with an argument, or don't you have one? United were totally outplayed the whole second half, it wasn't like he dominated the match...

feck me. Scholes and Schmeichel on this page alone.

Think I'll put this thread on ignore it's too jarring.

feck me. Scholes and Schmeichel on this page alone.

Think I'll put this thread on ignore it's too jarring.

I have noticed that this is the reaction. Not trying to explain why, just stating that it's "ridiculous" or "nonsense". If I thought something was nonsense, explaining why would be pretty easy.

Are you kidding me, Is it nonsense to state a fact? How about you come up with an argument, or don't you have one? United were totally outplayed the whole second half, it wasn't like he dominated the match...
You were clearly trying to imply that he got taken off because he didn't perform. I just thought it was important to add a bit of context.

You can keep on trying rewrite history like many others do. I know what I watched with my own eyes and so do most other reds. Scholes will always go down as one of our greatest players. Cheers.

RVP had 1 good season and looked like he downed tools when SAF left

Some here think he was Ruud’s equal! Madness
Moyes fecked it by ripping up his training schedule he had under SAF. I don't believe he downed tools he was just banged up for most that season. He still looked like the old RvP in some games Olympiacos at home springs to mind but he was never the same.

I have noticed that this is the reaction. Not trying to explain why, just stating that it's "ridiculous" or "nonsense". If I thought something was nonsense, explaining why would be pretty easy.
I already did. If you are that invested then please read back.

You were clearly trying to imply that he got taken off because he didn't perform. I just thought it was important to add a bit of context.

You can keep on trying rewrite history like many others do. I know what I watched with my own eyes and so do most other reds. Scholes will always go down as one of our greatest players. Cheers.

He obviously would still be on the pitch if he was that important. Are you implying that Roy Keane, Xavi, Pirlo, Zidane, or even Ronaldo would have been taken off because of some nosebleed? And one year later, he was on the bench. You can't seem to accept that he was never once the most important United player or one of the best in the world.

Judging by this Utd's most over rated xi could look something like this.

Schmeichel
Neville Stam Varane Heinze
Beckham Scholes Carrick Park
RVN Rooney

This place is weird. Players who won everything being called over rated, yet some on here think the likes of Maguire, McT and AWB should be kept. Some people either never watched these players play or have just forgotten what top class players look like.

My list goes like this:
1: Nani - you'd think he was the second coming of Cristiano)

2: Ander Herrera - again, when you read about him now you'd see the description of Roy Keane)

3: Zlatan - only the number of goals is mentioned without the mention of inconsistency and how detrimental he was to our attack

4: Valencia - A bit harsh here but he only had a couple of good seasons and then the mix of average/bad seasons

5: Gary Neville - A brilliant player and won everything just not at the same level as others in the class of 92
Wow some ballsy calls in there. I'd only agree with Nani due to his inconsistent nature from that list because the rest were excellent (Zlatan before his injury, and Neville for a decade) and/or did a role that was asked from them perfectly (Valencia, Herrera). But even then Nani had flair and bled for the shirt, I'd take him again in a heartbeat.

Valencia in particular was actually regularly slated after his move to RB and I don't think he was overrated at all, just a solid-ish player who is symptomatic of the malaise under the Glazers. Plus the fact he got rid of his agent to forever commit to us gets him some brownie points.

I'd think Welbeck is the one who I was shocked at for being sold because I really thought he'd be a great striker, and then he showed why he was always the almost-player. So much skill and talent but almost always fluffed his lines. Van Gaal was right on that one.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR
Judging by this Utd's most over rated xi could look something like this.

Schmeichel
Neville Stam Varane Heinze
Beckham Scholes Carrick Park
RVN Rooney

This place is weird. Players who won everything being called over rated, yet some on here think the likes of Maguire, McT and AWB should be kept. Some people either never watched these players play or have just forgotten what top class players look like.

Do you know the definition of overrated?

Do you know how good Paul Scholes was?

You didn't answer my question, because your post suggests that you don't understand the term overrated. You seem to think it means someone is a poor player.

I know exactly how good Paul Scholes was. A great player, but not as good as United supporters seem to think, hence the anger in this thread for people mentioning him.

You didn't answer my question, because your post suggests that you don't understand the term overrated. You seem to think it means someone is a poor player.

I know exactly how good Paul Scholes was. A great player, but not as good as United supporters seem to think, hence the anger in this thread for people mentioning him.

Aye I know what overrated means.

Seems you don't, when you think Scholes and Schmeichel are overrated.

Aye I know what overrated means.

Seems you don't, when you think Scholes and Schmeichel are overrated.

I have already explained. United supporters think he was one of the best midfielders in the world when he clearly wasn't, and that's really nothing to back up that he ever was. No personal prices, was often overlooked both for club and country. He was never the journalists, fans or players Premier League player of the year. No one rated him as high as he is rated now, hence he is overrated, his status has grown after his career and that is pretty much the definition of being overrated...

I have already explained. United supporters think he was one of the best midfielders in the world when he clearly wasn't, and that's really nothing to back up that he ever was. No personal prices, was often overlooked both for club and country. He was never the journalists, fans or players Premier League player of the year. No one rated him as high as he is rated now, hence he is overrated, his status has grown after his career and that is pretty much the definition of being overrated...
He obviously was though, hence why you've been shown quotes from some of the greatest football minds of their generation telling you as much. No offence lad but I hold more weight in Guardiola and Zidane's opinion than some randomer on RedCafe.

He obviously was though, hence why you've been shown quotes from some of the greatest football minds of their generation telling you as much. No offence lad but I hold more weight in Guardiola and Zidane's opinion than some randomer on RedCafe.

And there's the quote argument. A bunch of random quotes that no one has ever verified. Scholes was clearly a great player, no one is doubting that. But it's funny at the same time, if he was so good and everyone loved him, he would have got at least ONE ballon d'or vote sometime, or some recognition in England. Unless you think it's a conspiracy against him.

A quote from Scholes himself:
“You see loads of quotes from these players, [but] nobody's actually proven that they've actually said it! But if somebody's made them up, I'll take 'em!”

I will ask you a question. Was Scholes a better midfielder than Yaya Toure, and why or why not?

Last edited:

You think Schmeichel and Scholes are amongst the most overrated Utd players ever. It's incredible that any Utd fan would even think that.

Scholes played over 700 games for Man Utd over 18 years, scored 150+ goals and won a shed load of trophies. Who cares if he never won a personal award, quotes and personal awards are the least important metric to judge a player by.

And Schmeichel is widely regarded as one of the greatest goalkeepers ever.

Fans of clubs are obviously going to hold players who were crucial to the most successful period in the clubs history in higher regard than those outside. You have Liverpool fans who think VVD is the best PL defender ever, even though he has a 1 PL title and only handful of trophies to his name. I wouldn't even have him above Steve Bruce.

You think Schmeichel and Scholes are amongst the most overrated Utd players ever. It's incredible that any Utd fan would even think that.

Scholes played over 700 games for Man Utd over 18 years, scored 150+ goals and won a shed load of trophies. Who cares if he never won a personal award, quotes and personal awards are the least important metric to judge a player by.

And Schmeichel is widely regarded as one of the greatest goalkeepers ever.

Fans of clubs are obviously going to hold players who were crucial to the most successful period in the clubs history in higher regard than those outside. You have Liverpool fans who think VVD is the best PL defender ever, even though he has a 1 PL title and only handful of trophies to his name. I wouldn't even have him above Steve Bruce.

That's a very weird logic, counting trophies when you try to decide who the best player is. Isn't Ryan Giggs the best player ever then? Bruce better than VVD... I think I leave the discussion now.

That's a very weird logic, counting trophies when you try to decide who the best player is. Isn't Ryan Giggs the best player ever then? Bruce better than VVD... I think I leave the discussion now.

Yeah, counting appearances and trophies over a long career is almost as weird as the logic of using quotes and personal awards to judge a player.

And Steve Bruce was a bloody great defender.

Last edited:
And there's the quote argument. A bunch of random quotes that no one has ever verified. Scholes was clearly a great player, no one is doubting that. But it's funny at the same time, if he was so good and everyone loved him, he would have got at least ONE ballon d'or vote sometime, or some recognition in England. Unless you think it's a conspiracy against him.

A quote from Scholes himself:
“You see loads of quotes from these players, [but] nobody's actually proven that they've actually said it! But if somebody's made them up, I'll take 'em!”

I will ask you a question. Was Scholes a better midfielder than Yaya Toure, and why or why not?
Different players, peak Yaya was the definition of box-to-box and was what we expected Pogba to become.

Yeah, counting appearances and trophies over a long career is almost as weird as the logic of using quotes and personal awards to judge a player.

And Steve Bruce was a bloody great defender.
Steve Bruce was a crucial component of Fergie's first great side between 90 and 95/96.

With Robson being injured so much, he became so important.

He also scored probably two of the most important goals in our history.

A bit of a controversial shout - but Evra for me. I loved him to bits (still do!) but his trajectory with us was a bit of a bell curve - started horrendously, then became a solid member of an otherwise excellent back 5 during our peak in European football, and then became somewhat of a liability during his final seasons with us to the extent some of us wanted Alexander feckin Buttner to displace him in the side :lol: . He also pretty much stayed second fiddle to Eric Abidal for the French NT until the latter retired.
wheres the white text??????

his performance against newcastle away, when they were the ABU team of choice is enough on its own to make him a legend.

wheres the white text??????

his performance against newcastle away, when they were the ABU team of choice is enough on its own to make him a legend.
He's definitely a great keeper, the overrated aspect for me comes from him being labelled as our greatest ever. I genuinely believe VDS was the better keeper over his tenure here.