Most overrated ex Manchester United players

United supporters who are younger and didn't watch Scholes regularly think he was the best in the world in his position and one of the best players in the world. At no point in his career was Scholes the best or one of the best players in the world. A great player, though, but this isn't what it's about. Therefore, he is overrated. It's pretty much the same argument for Carrick, which several posters already have said in a better way than I can.
He was one of the best for many years even his peers say so. When he came out of retirement vs city and was head and shoulders the best midfielder until his energy depleted says it all.

Scholes was always rated, it's just that we had better players in the team.

Which kind of explains my point. He was very, very good but not even the best at United. Not one player of the season even at his club. He isn't as good as Xavi, Pirlo, Zidane etc, but right behind them.

Which kind of explains my point. He was very, very good but not even the best at United. Not one player of the season even at his club. He isn't as good as Xavi, Pirlo, Zidane etc, but right behind them.
Says Scholes is below Pirlo is insane.

That's why I said every player in the world is overrated and underrated. People rate players differently.

Xavi was never best at Barca, it was Ronaldinho and Messi. Doesn't make him any less of a player.

Yeah, you got a point, but I think especially Carrick and Scholes are rated more now than ever.
Both were highly rated by many people in football when they were playing. Before the CL final in 2011, Pep Guardiola was asked if he could buy any United player for Barca who would it be and he answered Scholes. Xavi and Iniesta were well known to be huge admirers too and practically fell over themselves to get his shirt. I remember top European clubs were interested in Scholes in the early 2000s, I believe Inter made a decent sized bid for him. Pep also said when Carrick was retiring that he was one of the best holding midfielders he had ever seen. The narrative put out there by bitter opposition fans like that Curtis Woodhouse twat is that our players have become mythical legends and weren't viewed the same when they were playing. It's utter bollocks.

No he wasn't. And funnily enough, 2005-2008 was probably his peak.
Yes he was. Many pro's think so. Scholes is actually the perfect example of someone who is correctly rated. People have a case about Carrick because he had obvious weaknesses, but Scholes is a weird one. He is actually underrated because he never shone for England.

Yes he was. Many pro's think so. Scholes is actually the perfect example of someone who is correctly rated. People have a case about Carrick because he had obvious weaknesses, but Scholes is a weird one. He is actually underrated because he never shone for England.

Depends on what you read. I remember having plenty of arguments arguing Carrick was better than Song, Fellaini during 2010-11 time, going by that he was very underrated.

Has to be Berba for me. Super talented, and ridiculous touch, but he was never at his best for us consistently.

Looking back at some of his highlights these days, you'd think he was tearing it up.

By far Berbatov. The ultimate Youtube highlight footballer. 87 minutes of "feckless" and "lazy" and slowing the line and berating others and hand waving . . . and then about three minutes of bliss and amazing talent. Looks fantastic on Youtube highlights, but watching for 90 minutes would piss you off. Fergie unsettling Tevez to accommodate Berbatov has to be up there in his class of Stam and Moyes mistakes. Why he would break up the trinity of Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo at their peak is one of the biggest mysteries of the man. Watching Tevez carry City for years and lead their rise to the top makes it all the more maddening. I suppose Fergie dropping him for the CL final after he led a weak scoring league (what, 13 goals?, like 10 of them in 3 matches?) has to be one of the biggest fook offs in Premier League history.

By far Berbatov. The ultimate Youtube highlight footballer. 87 minutes of "feckless" and "lazy" and slowing the line and berating others and hand waving . . . and then about three minutes of bliss and amazing talent. Looks fantastic on Youtube highlights, but watching for 90 minutes would piss you off. Fergie unsettling Tevez to accommodate Berbatov has to be up there in his class of Stam and Moyes mistakes. Why he would break up the trinity of Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo at their peak is one of the biggest mysteries of the man. Watching Tevez carry City for years and lead their rise to the top makes it all the more maddening. I suppose Fergie dropping him for the CL final after he led a weak scoring league (what, 13 goals?, like 10 of them in 3 matches?) has to be one of the biggest fook offs in Premier League history.
Just sounds like you don’t like berbatov because he banged your wife or something. Much more than a YouTube highlight footballer, just because he didn’t passion merchant to death doesn’t mean he was lazy.

He had a good record for us and added something different.

Without a shadow of a doubt I've never witnessed a more overrated "player" at United than Paul Pogba, continually given the epithet "World cup winner"....for me his attitude to the club and the fans was one of disrespect. His "performances" were mediocre, and even wretched at times, the odd, very odd flicker of talent was very rare, as for commitment....that vanished the day he signed for us. He came across as arrogant and pretentious, and although I was never in his company, he gave the impression that his presence was one of disruption, plus a poor role model for younger players.

:+1: Couldn’t have put it better myself. An awful player who also comes across as an awful person.
Yet for reasons unknown some thought the sun shone out of his arse.

Pirlo is not on the same level as Xavi or Zidane either.

Varane is not overrated either.
One of the worst takes Ive ever seen.

@AjaxCunian and @tomaldinho1 explained it perfectly.

Fans saw a centre back who is one of the most decorated players in football display good box defending in a struggling team, playing in one of the lowest defensive lines across the league, and completely ignored or just straight-up never realized his shortcomings and deficiencies, which led to "Rolls Royce" and "best defender in the league" shouts when he was probably never even among the top 10 PL centre halves at any time during his United spell, and both Maguire and Martínez are much better CBs than him. The best centre halves in the league are genuinely in a different stratosphere to what Varane was at United.

But we are talking about the fanbase that were led to believe that van de Beek was some world beater sitting on the bench because Ole was too stupid to know how to utilize such a genius on the pitch, and that any half-decent manager would bin Bruno and play him instead. :lol:

@AjaxCunian and @tomaldinho1 explained it perfectly.

Fans saw a centre back who is one of the most decorated players in football display good box defending in a struggling team, playing in one of the lowest defensive lines across the league, and completely ignored or just straight-up never realized his shortcomings and deficiencies, which led to "Rolls Royce" and "best defender in the league" shouts when he was probably never even among the top 10 PL centre halves at any time during his United spell, and both Maguire and Martínez are much better CBs than him. The best centre halves in the league are genuinely in a different stratosphere to what Varane was at United.

But we are talking about the fanbase that were led to believe that van de Beek was some world beater sitting on the bench because Ole was too stupid to know how to utilize such a genius on the pitch, and that any half-decent manager would bin Bruno and play him instead. :lol:

Maguire better than Varane, oh my and this guy talks about fan base delusion.

Both were highly rated by many people in football when they were playing. Before the CL final in 2011, Pep Guardiola was asked if he could buy any United player for Barca who would it be and he answered Scholes. Xavi and Iniesta were well known to be huge admirers too and practically fell over themselves to get his shirt. I remember top European clubs were interested in Scholes in the early 2000s, I believe Inter made a decent sized bid for him. Pep also said when Carrick was retiring that he was one of the best holding midfielders he had ever seen. The narrative put out there by bitter opposition fans like that Curtis Woodhouse twat is that our players have become mythical legends and weren't viewed the same when they were playing. It's utter bollocks.

It's funny that every argument I see about Scholes is that a coach said something nice about him. Scholes never won any personal awards, never got a vote in the balon d'or, never won player of the year even at United, or Premier League. As I said, he was very, very good for a long time, and at one point he was extremely good for his age, but he was never one of the best in the world. He was never the key player who won United or England a trophy like Pirlo, Xavi, Zidane, even Modric or Kaka or plenty others did.

It's funny that every argument I see about Scholes is that a coach said something nice about him. Scholes never won any personal awards, never got a vote in the balon d'or, never won player of the year even at United, or Premier League. As I said, he was very, very good for a long time, and at one point he was extremely good for his age, but he was never one of the best in the world. He was never the key player who won United or England a trophy like Pirlo, Xavi, Zidane, even Modric or Kaka or plenty others did.
How old are you? Not trying to be clever but am genuinely interested.

Just for balance I’ll choose one of our own, Dennis Tueart, aside from his wonder goal in a league cup final, I can’t recall another memorable moment but he’s highly regarded among older fans

I'm an older United fan and Dennis Tueart was one of City's best players of that era.

Just out of curiosity do you rate Heinze, Valencia, Javier Hernandez and Ander Herrera above Evra, Carrick, Andy Cole and Rio Ferdinand?

Surely that list of players shows the difference between a great season and a great career?

Those mentioning Scholes are either delusional or just trolling.

How can a player who led the most critical position within multiple eras of united teams while delivering 12 PL titles be overated?

Had England built its midfield around Scholes rather than than trying to shoehorn him with Slippy G and Fat Frank, we might just have won something.

Those mentioning Scholes are either delusional or just trolling.

How can a player who led the most critical position within multiple eras of united teams while delivering 12 PL titles be overated?

Had England built its midfield around Scholes rather than than trying to shoehorn him with Slippy G and Fat Frank, we might just have won something.

He didn't lead United. Keane might have done it. Ronaldo or Rooney might have done it. But never Paul Scholes. If we look at the most important games United had... CL-semifinal 99, Scholes on the bench, CL final 2008 Scholes subbed off, CL final 2009 didn't even start. How was he the most important player? Never even once club's player of the season. IMO all this shows that Scholes was overrated. Most of you can't even argue about it, it's just "but he was the best!" "How can you say that!". As I said, Scholes was extremely good, a very, very good and even great player for a long time, but he was never the most important player, he wasn't even the most important midfielder for long spells at his own club.

Nani, online especially, has likely been more overrated by fans than underrated.

Personally I just thought he was a good player who had world class games/moments now and again.

Think Varane has a much higher floor, less prone to huge mistakes. Maguire on his game, overall contributes more to the team I feel. For Man United anyway.

Another case for Real Madrid/France though. Though Maguire has been terrific for England as well.

Think it’s an ok take for specifically United.

Like saying Fred is better than Schweinsteiger. Clearly one had a vastly better career and had a vastly better peak but, United only, there’s a clear winner. Same goes for Maguire/Varane I’d say.

I’m not suggesting he wasn’t a good player, but I remember Phil Jones was talked about as being a future England captain and at one time comparisons were even made to Bobby Charlton.
Obviously injuries badly curtailed his career in the end, but I don’t think he would ever have reached those heights regardless.

Schmeichel, widely regarded as one of the greatest all time goalies ever to play the game is now considered overrated by United fans? What the actual feck? He made some mistakes, mostly because he was extremely proactive, but that does come at a cost.

Park is probably overrated. Rafael perhaps. Most are rated just about right I think.

I’m going to be as controversial as the Schmeichel schmucks: i think Rooney was overrated.

Hear me out. He was ridiculous as a teenager, but he was inconsistent as you expect. However, he never got rid of that. He was always brilliant in patches but quite average to poor in others. He was also versatile, but never THE best in any position. So great player, but not WC as many seem to argue.
I disagree and would argue that Rooney was indeed world-class. I dont remember the exact season when we wore chevron but he bailed us out
Nani, online especially, has likely been more overrated by fans than underrated.

Personally I just thought he was a good player who had world class games/moments now and again.
Yes. He has good moments but wasn't a great passer and had tendancy to be selfish and wasteful with the ball more often than not.

Think it’s an ok take for specifically United.

Like saying Fred is better than Schweinsteiger. Clearly one had a vastly better career and had a vastly better peak but, United only, there’s a clear winner. Same goes for Maguire/Varane I’d say.
I wouldn't say it's clear at all. Maguire was better last season, but Varane was far better the season before; and the season before that (Varane's first), I'd give the edge to Varane, mostly because Maguire was in calamity mode most of that season. Prior to that, it's Varane in his final few seasons at Real vs Maguire in his first few at United. I didn't Real enough at that time, but I suspect Varane was performing at a similar (or higher) level to Maguire during that time.

I disagree and would argue that Rooney was indeed world-class. I dont remember the exact season when we wore chevron but he bailed us out
Yes. He has good moments but wasn't a great passer and had tendancy to be selfish and wasteful with the ball more often than not.
He was fecking immense that season.

I wouldn't say it's clear at all. Maguire was better last season, but Varane was far better the season before; and the season before that (Varane's first), I'd give the edge to Varane, mostly because Maguire was in calamity mode most of that season. Prior to that, it's Varane in his final few seasons at Real vs Maguire in his first few at United. I didn't Real enough at that time, but I suspect Varane was performing at a similar (or higher) level to Maguire during that time.
That’s literally missed the entire point of what I said. United time specific.

My list goes like this:
1: Nani - you'd think he was the second coming of Cristiano)

2: Ander Herrera - again, when you read about him now you'd see the description of Roy Keane)

3: Zlatan - only the number of goals is mentioned without the mention of inconsistency and how detrimental he was to our attack

4: Valencia - A bit harsh here but he only had a couple of good seasons and then the mix of average/bad seasons

5: Gary Neville - A brilliant player and won everything just not at the same level as others in the class of 92
Gary Neville has said that there were more talented players than him that didn’t make it. There is a thin line and attitude and hard work count for a lot

For me it's Juan Veron. Worse than every one of our midfielders of the time, and went on to disappoint at Chelsea too. Maybe would work better in the modern game, but really disappointing and although he was crap, seems to still remain highly overrated for one or two performances+ his time at Lazio.