Most overrated ex Manchester United players

Depressing thread...

I have been thinking for some time now, how comparable our situation is with the New England Patriots who I also follow and support. 20 years winning and dominating, with 1 coach considered the GOAT, but now that all of that is in the past and both teams are struggling.
Not exactly the same situation obviously, before someone mentions Brady etc.

One of the NE players expressed something recently that I kind of agree with, not an exact quote but - Our fans dislike their own players when they are losing instead of hating on the enemy team, they are so used to winning.

Herrera I don’t think was overrated. He was quite limited but had a good attitude and played up his love for United a bit too much that it seemed contrived. But ability wise I don’t think he’s overrated? A solid cog in the team but not much more.

Varane is a good shout, he was done by the time he was here u less we were playing a deep line in which case he still has the skillset to do well.

Maybe Larsson is a shout? Was a top player and it was a great loan for timing/support but I feel he had a couple of amazing moments and the rest was a bit average but the media absolutely jizzed their pants over him.

Seriously?!?

What are the best quotes about Paul Scholes?​

Zinedine Zidane: "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation.”

Lionel Messi: "At La Masia his name was mentioned a lot. He’s a teacher."

Xavi: "For me, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years."

Thierry Henry: "I can’t understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t seek the limelight like some of the other ‘stars’."

Ronaldo (Brazilian): “He’s the phenomenon.”

David Beckham: “He’s always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me ‘what’s he like’? They respect him as a footballer and see him as the ultimate.”

Cesc Fabregas: "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Pep Guardiola: “Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.”

Laurent Blanc: "I tell anyone who asks me – Scholes is the best English player."

Patrick Vieira: "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy – Scholes."

Ronaldinho: “I want to pass like him. Who taught him how to do that?”

Luis Figo: "I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch, you can’t catch him. Off the pitch, he disappears."

Edgar Davids: "Everyone of us should emulate him. We can all learn from Paul Scholes.”
Andy Gray: 'That young man has never learned to tackle.'

He had a point.

Anyway, Beckham was a seriously over-rated player but only due to his celebrity. Those capable to separate it from his arrant ability saw a quality player.

Fabien Barthez is a good shout. Thought himself as a prototype of the 'sweeper keeper' craze, but really just a frustrating jester.

Michael Carrick
I appreciate united fans loving him but I, and I’m sure most other oppo fans thought he was very “meh”

Just for balance I’ll choose one of our own, Dennis Tueart, aside from his wonder goal in a league cup final, I can’t recall another memorable moment but he’s highly regarded among older fans

Falcao. Don’t know whether he wore slippery boots but he used to slip all over the pitch for no particular reason. Also past it when he arrived but the Caf was in bizzare ecstasy after he signed
An absolute goal machine and one of the worlds deadliest strikers at the time. Mendes fecked his career by moving him to Monaco from Atletico, where he tore his ACL. His move to Utd came at the wrong time, he was still recovering from his ACL. Only when he went back to Monaco did he properly recover and get back to his best.

"...21 goals in 29 league appearances, seven in 10 Champions League games – only his second season in it – and 30 in 43 overall. His goals propelled Monaco to the Ligue 1 title and a Champions League semi-final – an astounding achievement for the team but also for the striker.."

A real shame we never got to see him at his peak.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/...top-and-overcame-an-unlikely-fall-from-grace/

Neville, Scholes, Carrick are all ridiculous shouts, each one of them would walk into our current side and make us better immediately :rolleyes:

Schmeichel, widely regarded as one of the greatest all time goalies ever to play the game is now considered overrated by United fans? What the actual feck? He made some mistakes, mostly because he was extremely proactive, but that does come at a cost.

Park is probably overrated. Rafael perhaps. Most are rated just about right I think.

I’m going to be as controversial as the Schmeichel schmucks: i think Rooney was overrated.

Hear me out. He was ridiculous as a teenager, but he was inconsistent as you expect. However, he never got rid of that. He was always brilliant in patches but quite average to poor in others. He was also versatile, but never THE best in any position. So great player, but not WC as many seem to argue.

Never realised anyone rated him. Agree, he was awful.

Herrera for me. Decent player who had a handful of outstanding games. Never was consistently at the level I heard some talk about him at.
Yeah they did. Not as much as Eric ("our best centre back when fit") Bailly. Comedy double act.

Neville, Scholes, Carrick are all ridiculous shouts, each one of them would walk into our current side and make us better immediately :rolleyes:
Overrated after they retired doesn't mean they weren't class when they played.

Who rates Sanchez at United?
His piano-playing intro to the club gave indication of something big, and he was given the number 7 shirt. And he was very high rated at Arsenal, and he had played for Barcelona too. But he failed at United, and many people's expectations of him were too great, and he was therefore overrated to that extent.

Carrick. All I remember him doing is side ways passing. Not a single ball went forward. He was never a goal threat either. Never even tried to do anything effective with the ball, just passit to the winger constantly. . What pissed me off the most is that he does all that in his final game! Almost scored a great goal too.

Schneiderlin befote his move to United.

Varane is actually a decent shout. His skillset is well utilised in a negative set-up. Strong in the air, good positioning when playing a low line, reaction speed and athleticism. But he's opposite of a modern full back, no aggressive interceptions to help transition play. Though extremely two-footed, doesn't take responsibility with the ball at all.

He could great in top matches when we are being dominated, but feel like his style of play always made us the underdog even more. Never proactive.

I still can't believe I saw Beckham's name in here on more than one occasion. Probably the most underrated Utd legend of modern times.

Scholes. Not as good as Keane and not always trusted by Fergie. Fantastic player but the fact that he's been mentioned in the 'top 25 players since 2002' thread shows how his legend has grown.

For balance, I'm the same on Xabi Alonso for us....very overrated.
Bannable offence this

This list is so wrong on so many levels. Have you watched them play?

In my decades of watching football I have never seen a player getting so much attention and praise that Pogba got. I always wonder on what grounds. One of most overrated ever in our shirt. If not the most.
Spot on.:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

So where's your argument?

It's pretty simple actually. Because they were very good players, but not as good as United supporters think. You actually just helped with the point. You can't even understand how someone can mention your hero.
No, just no.

Dunno about overrated, bit Ruud is definitely higher rated by United fans than by Dutch people.

Mostly because we want everyone to be Van Basten, but we were always whinging his footballing ability wasnt good enough and that it took him too long to be become world class.

Agree with first 3. Don’t think anyone really glorifies Valencia but agree with your assessment.

With Gary, again, don’t think anyone over glorifies him. If anything, he’s a bit underrated.
William Prunier, Bebe and David Bellion (supposed to be the next Henry) those three were something special, you'd have to put Taibi in goal

He is right. And the funny thing is that Scholes (and Carrick) becomes better every year. A bit like an injured player in an underwhelming team.
I don't agree in the slightest

William Prunier, Bebe and David Bellion (supposed to be the next Henry) those three were something special, you'd have to put Taibi in goal
Bellion was a £1m punt and totally different ballpark to the big money flops.

Without a shadow of a doubt I've never witnessed a more overrated "player" at United than Paul Pogba, continually given the epithet "World cup winner"....for me his attitude to the club and the fans was one of disrespect. His "performances" were mediocre, and even wretched at times, the odd, very odd flicker of talent was very rare, as for commitment....that vanished the day he signed for us. He came across as arrogant and pretentious, and although I was never in his company, he gave the impression that his presence was one of disruption, plus a poor role model for younger players.

Varane in recent seasons. Never saw a world class CB when he played. Was involved in the all the embarrassing losses. He came in with such hype and was no better than Maguire.
One of the worst takes Ive ever seen.

I don't agree in the slightest

United supporters who are younger and didn't watch Scholes regularly think he was the best in the world in his position and one of the best players in the world. At no point in his career was Scholes the best or one of the best players in the world. A great player, though, but this isn't what it's about. Therefore, he is overrated. It's pretty much the same argument for Carrick, which several posters already have said in a better way than I can.

Scholes, Beckham, Carrick, Schmeichel, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney.

:lol: I can't believe people in this thread have mentioned any of them. You either have short memories or are fans of other clubs and are jealous/envious of the success of United.

United supporters who are younger and didn't watch Scholes regularly think he was the best in the world in his position and one of the best players in the world. At no point in his career was Scholes the best or one of the best players in the world. A great player, though, but this isn't what it's about. Therefore, he is overrated. It's pretty much the same argument for Carrick, which several posters already have said in a better way than I can.

Every player in the world is overrated, everyone rates them differently so it makes every player overrated and underrated.

In 2008 he definitely was one of the best in the world in his position, easily. Other than Xavi, he was the best controlling deep lying playmaker on the planet.

My list goes like this:
1: Nani - you'd think he was the second coming of Cristiano)

2: Ander Herrera - again, when you read about him now you'd see the description of Roy Keane)

3: Zlatan - only the number of goals is mentioned without the mention of inconsistency and how detrimental he was to our attack

4: Valencia - A bit harsh here but he only had a couple of good seasons and then the mix of average/bad seasons

5: Gary Neville - A brilliant player and won everything just not at the same level as others in the class of 92

It’s funny that you put Nani on your list , because while I think he was a great , exciting winger I do agree he was meant to be a second CR And he never lived up to the hype. So yes, while I still think he was great for us, I do get why you consider him overhyped.

Probably de gea if i was being brutally honest. He’s was a world class shot stopper but had so many flaws in his game. When shot stopping declined all his other faults became more clear.

What a keeper he was in his prime though. I think being in such a poor team forced him to overrated status as he had more work to do than he should have.

Yeah, you got a point, but I think especially Carrick and Scholes are rated more now than ever.

Scholes was always rated, it's just that we had better players in the team.