Michael Olise | Joins Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think we need Anthony regardless, the issue is we dont have the ability to sell a footballer.
Or at least we haven’t had the ability in the past. Hopefully things should be much better in terms of buying and selling from now on.

I dont think we need Anthony regardless, the issue is we dont have the ability to sell a footballer.

True. Probably a combination of giving too high wages to begin with and not being ruthless with players when needed.

Hopefully something the new management can improve.

Or at least we haven’t had the ability in the past. Hopefully things should be much better in terms of buying and selling from now on.

Well lets just see this window. There is alot of players they can sell.

Lindelof, Shaw, AWB, Maguire, McTominay, Eriksen, Sancho, Greenwood, Anthony, Donny

lets see how many get sold at what prices.

Unpopular opinion here but I don't think we should go for him. He finished the season on really good form so Palace will ask for at least 60-70M.

He's had two hamstring injuries in last two seasons which kept him away for a combined of 200 days and 21 games. So that's a red flag, we don't need any more injury prone players.

Also I think while he's technically gifted he's not fast and call me old fashion but I think pace is a must for wingers, at least for really top ones. I think he would shine in a team that dominates possession like City but I'm not sure he'd had much of an impact with a team like us. He's kind in the mold of Sancho who's more of a creator than an electric winger and we've seen how Sancho fitted here.
100% agree with you. He is probably not the type of winger Utd needs at this stage.

I actually still think there’s a pulse in Antony, personally. Some quality there to work with. As has been the common phrase with any footballer with technical ability in recent years, ‘he’d look far better in a City side’.

It’s also more about quality than quantity. Garnacho, Amad and Antony is hardly a set of formidable wide players especially if we are to go back to using Garnacho as a LW.

I have to disagree. I actually think Amad is the better player of these three, and that he could be better than Olise too if given a run in the team.

I actually still think there’s a pulse in Antony, personally. Some quality there to work with. As has been the common phrase with any footballer with technical ability in recent years, ‘he’d look far better in a City side’.

I agree. I haven't given up on Antony. There's talent there. He has clear technical ability on the ball. He shows defensive responsibility. He obviously needs to add more tricks beyond his obvious cut-in-and-curl-a-left-footer MO. As clichéd as this is, I feel that one of the problems with him this season was that he tried too hard, that the criticism (the burden of his fee) was in his head too much, and he desperately wanted to prove himself to the point he got in his own way. I honestly think if he can do some work on his mental approach to playing for United, he could still come good.

Well lets just see this window. There is alot of players they can sell.

Lindelof, Shaw, AWB, Maguire, McTominay, Eriksen, Sancho, Greenwood, Anthony, Donny

lets see how many get sold at what prices.
I think it’s unrealistic to sell so many players if we’re not bringing in all replacements. We’ll need squad depth so it will probably take a couple of windows to get rid of them all and then hopefully freshen the squad up with new quality faces which we can then form a strong team.

I think it’s unrealistic to sell so many players if we’re not bringing in all replacements. We’ll need squad depth so it will probably take a couple of windows to get rid of them all and then hopefully freshen the squad up with new quality faces which we can then form a strong team.

No, I don't mean sell them all, I am saying there are many sellable options. How much we sell these players will tell me alot about INEOS.

I am tired of hearing excuses about wages and the like because I saw Chelsea players last season like Pulisic, Loftus Cheek, Havertz, Mount, Kovacic, Koulibaly, Mendy and the like generating 270m.

Yet, Manchester United cannot generate more than 50m in player sales generally.

No, I don't mean sell them all, I am saying there are many sellable options. How much we sell these players will tell me alot about INEOS.

I am tired of hearing excuses about wages and the like because I saw Chelsea players last season like Pulisic, Loftus Cheek, Havertz, Mount, Kovacic, Koulibaly, Mendy and the like generating 270m.

Fair point mate. Time will tell.

This feels like a luxury signing for the most unluxurious of teams.

We need cbs, fbs, mids and a striker far more urgently and we seem to be working on a very tight budget.

I know it’s his style, but just concerned about how laid back he is.

Is he really a game changer? A player to take the game by the scruff of the neck and push the team on?

I know it’s his style, but just concerned about how laid back he is.

Is he really a game changer? A player to take the game by the scruff of the neck and push the team on?

You should watch palace when he plays and when he doesn't

I know this has been a running narrative on here for years, but I’m curious as to how people expect us to sell players for 40m if clubs don’t offer us 40m for players? And on the rare occasion we do get decent offers, the players themselves decline. Just because INEOS are now in charge makes no difference. They are not going to get 20m for Van de Beek because nobody wants to pay that.

This is the price we pay for being underachievers and being the highest profile club in the land. Players’ values are contributed to by public narrative, narrative of the player and narrative of the club. City win every thing and have the strongest squad, so just being close enough to touch that will assign a value to a player. Zinchenko is never worth 35m, but he’s part of a winning squad. All of our players are constantly spoken about as rubbish, including by our own fans. ‘None of them could get in a City side’ etc. It’s not true, but it contributes to their market value.

When we were not long a poor team, we were able to get 20m+ for Schneiderlin, for example. At that time, people would still see value in players who were just not good enough to make an impact at United. We will struggle to get respectable offers for Sancho this summer because he’s a ‘failure’ and associated with the failure that is United, but in reality, he’s better than the vast majority of players in this league.

Spending 60m on him is making the Mount mistake again. We should not use 60m on a RW with questionable injury record and moan when we lack money to fund the other transfers. Fix the CB, LB, DM, backup CM and backup CF situation first.

Spending 60m on him is making the Mount mistake again. We should not use 60m on a RW with questionable injury record and moan when we lack money to fund the other transfers. Fix the CB, LB, DM, backup CM and backup CF situation first.
Played most of the previous three seasons before this one? (Mount was a mistake given MFers at the time… might be more relevant next season)

Mount wasn’t an obvious need for us as he’s never really been an 8 and Bruno was our cam. However we do need a consitant goal threat on the right and Olise has supplied them steadily this season. I’m not even that worried about his injury history because we have Garnacho and Amad to back him and challenge him.
I’d definitely prioritize a starting level RW over a back-up striker, not that we don’t need both.

I can't see this happening unless we were to get rid of Antony or Amad.

Following Amad's positive end to the season and ten Hag's admiration for Antony, I don't think any of the two will be sold, leaving us with:

Rashford
Garnacho
Amad
Antony

Not the greatest options in the world but I think there's a nice blend of pace and technical qualities.

Jury is still out with Rashford as to whether he will go or stay, but if he has the season he had during ten Hag's first year, then we'll be flying.

Time will tell, but I can't imagine we'll sign a winger. I think the only attacking player we'll sign is a centre forward to provide competition to Hojlund.

Tag line checks out

Hahaha - part of keeping a source isn't going to the biggest Man Utd fan forum in the world and revealing who that source is :lol: I'd expect people to understand that, there would probably be less outrage if I said I had it on good authrotiy he was joining us. I get it, like I said time will tell.

Even though he’s performed well lately and always shown potential, I don’t want United to get him at this stage.

He’s a really high risk signing, the risk is especially increased by the current squad quality. We would be better off building a solid midfield and defence, to provide some foundation to build the squad on, he’s that signing probably that we get when we have champions league money.

We won’t be going from -1 goal difference to top scorers anyways, need to rejuvenate the fallen wingers we have or spend big, which looks unrealistic atm

I know this has been a running narrative on here for years, but I’m curious as to how people expect us to sell players for 40m if clubs don’t offer us 40m for players? And on the rare occasion we do get decent offers, the players themselves decline. Just because INEOS are now in charge makes no difference. They are not going to get 20m for Van de Beek because nobody wants to pay that.

This is the price we pay for being underachievers and being the highest profile club in the land. Players’ values are contributed to by public narrative, narrative of the player and narrative of the club. City win every thing and have the strongest squad, so just being close enough to touch that will assign a value to a player. Zinchenko is never worth 35m, but he’s part of a winning squad. All of our players are constantly spoken about as rubbish, including by our own fans. ‘None of them could get in a City side’ etc. It’s not true, but it contributes to their market value.

When we were not long a poor team, we were able to get 20m+ for Schneiderlin, for example. At that time, people would still see value in players who were just not good enough to make an impact at United. We will struggle to get respectable offers for Sancho this summer because he’s a ‘failure’ and associated with the failure that is United, but in reality, he’s better than the vast majority of players in this league.

All this is just an excuse for the poor structure and the lack of ability from our negotiating team.

Its funny because Chelsea's failure of Havertz got 65m for him, its about having the right people who can sell someone.

We just dont have the ability to sell, players like Garner who at other clubs will have gone for alot more money.

I can't see this happening unless we were to get rid of Antony or Amad.

Following Amad's positive end to the season and ten Hag's admiration for Antony, I don't think any of the two will be sold, leaving us with:

Rashford
Garnacho
Amad
Antony

Not the greatest options in the world but I think there's a nice blend of pace and technical qualities.

Jury is still out with Rashford as to whether he will go or stay, but if he has the season he had during ten Hag's first year, then we'll be flying.

Time will tell, but I can't imagine we'll sign a winger. I think the only attacking player we'll sign is a centre forward to provide competition to Hojlund.

Ten Hag's admiration for Antony is long gone, he didn't even sub on Antony in the FA Cup final. Antony's right now is at best a sub. Rashford and Garnacho are the starters. I think both Rashford and Garnacho have (enough) quality and can give us consistent performances throughout next season. The backup wingers Amad and Antony aren't too bad either. Also, I expect Amad to kick on and improve even further and Antony can't be worse than last season. The biggest problem right now isn't the winger department. We need an extra striker, a central defender to replace Varane and a defensive midfielder to partner Mainoo.

But you're right, in order to get a new winger in we first need to sell a winger.
I can't see Antony going, not at this point of his contract. His wages must be huge and he produced very little the last two years.
Rashford will only leave if he himself wants to leave the club.
Amad is a tricky one. I don't think Ten Hag fully trust him.

My guess is if we do sell a winger it would be Amad.

We also still have Greenwood and Sancho in our books. I feel Ten Hag has no problems reintregrating him back in the first team. Not after a season he had. Greenwood can play as a striker as well. I really hope we can sell him for a decent fee, but INEOS really need to resolve this issue fast.

I feel Sancho and Ten Hag need to talk things out. Another winger available would be great of course. Preferably I want Sancho gone: he can't play as a striker, so I would rather we sell him for £40m and use that money to get us a striker. Also, I didn't miss Sancho on the winger last season.

Ten Hag's admiration for Antony is long gone, he didn't even sub on Antony in the FA Cup final. Antony's right now is at best a sub. Rashford and Garnacho are the starters. I think both Rashford and Garnacho have (enough) quality and can give us consistent performances throughout next season. The backup wingers Amad and Antony aren't too bad either. Also, I expect Amad to kick on and improve even further and Antony can't be worse than last season. The biggest problem right now isn't the winger department. We need an extra striker, a central defender to replace Varane and a defensive midfielder to partner Mainoo.

But you're right, in order to get a new winger in we first need to sell a winger.
I can't see Antony going, not at this point of his contract. His wages must be huge and he produced very little the last two years.
Rashford will only leave if he himself wants to leave the club.
Amad is a tricky one. I don't think Ten Hag fully trust him.

My guess is if we do sell a winger it would be Amad.

We also still have Greenwood and Sancho in our books. I feel Ten Hag has no problems reintregrating him back in the first team. Not after a season he had. Greenwood can play as a striker as well. I really hope we can sell him for a decent fee, but INEOS really need to resolve this issue fast.

I feel Sancho and Ten Hag need to talk things out. Another winger available would be great of course. Preferably I want Sancho gone: he can't play as a striker, so I would rather we sell him for £40m and use that money to get us a striker. Also, I didn't miss Sancho on the winger last season.

Greenwood and Sancho are gone in my opinion

I agree. I haven't given up on Antony. There's talent there. He has clear technical ability on the ball. He shows defensive responsibility. He obviously needs to add more tricks beyond his obvious cut-in-and-curl-a-left-footer MO. As clichéd as this is, I feel that one of the problems with him this season was that he tried too hard, that the criticism (the burden of his fee) was in his head too much, and he desperately wanted to prove himself to the point he got in his own way. I honestly think if he can do some work on his mental approach to playing for United, he could still come good.

No, it has everything to do with his footballing ability, not his mental headspace. And we REALLY need to stop using "defensive responsibility" as a bonus for what is supposed to be a right winger. His only PL level trait he has is being able to shield/keep the ball under pressure, but in reality he's only able to do that when he doesn't actually look to progress play forward. He'll keep it, get hounded by two players, then pass it back to Dalot.

He's probably the worst finisher we have in the squad, lacks almost any ability to create either for himself or for others, lacks good balance to make up for his average pace, and is one of the more one-footed wingers we've seen since ADM. This romanticism and "belief" that fans feel the need to give every player just isn't necessary.

We probably sign him if we sell Sancho, Greenwood and we loan/sell Anthony. In that case then yes we do need another RW especially one like Olise who wouldn't cost a fortune and can switch it around (ie either tons of assists or tons of goals)

No, it has everything to do with his footballing ability, not his mental headspace. And we REALLY need to stop using "defensive responsibility" as a bonus for what is supposed to be a right winger. His only PL level trait he has is being able to shield/keep the ball under pressure, but in reality he's only able to do that when he doesn't actually look to progress play forward. He'll keep it, get hounded by two players, then pass it back to Dalot.

He's probably the worst finisher we have in the squad, lacks almost any ability to create either for himself or for others, lacks good balance to make up for his average pace, and is one of the more one-footed wingers we've seen since ADM. This romanticism and "belief" that fans feel the need to give every player just isn't necessary.

If it was about his footballing ability, you'd want to keep him at United, as he's clearly talented. I'm arguing that his psychological headspace is what is holding him back. Fix that, and we have a very good player. You disagree. Fine. But please, don't patronize me with words like romanticism and placing scare quotes around other words (belief) I didn't use. This could be a place for healthy debate if it weren't for these rhetorical tricks people use in place of solid argument.

And to address one area, tracking back is a trait valued by our manager. If an attacking player doesn't do it (Ronaldo, Sancho to a lesser extent), they fall foul of the system the coach is trying to impose. If a player does it, that demonstrates they want to fit in to a system and not act like an entitled maverick. It's merely one aspect of what might help a player succeed at United, but it's a fundamental one given the manager's insistence on it.

Anyway, I was simply agreeing wth Rozay's post as an aside, and I don't want to derail a thread about a possible transfer target.

Totally disagree. Mount, like Van de Beek before him was a stupid purchase because we wasted too much of our transfer kitty on a player who plays in the same position as our never-injured star player (and was a total dud injury-wise himself). Olise would straight away be our best attacker. I think he's being quite under-rated on here. I love Amad but Olise is a different class to him as a PL player. Our attack has been so underwhelming and Olise would support Bruno in terms of providing creative output, would improve our set pieces and he would also be our hardest working forward in defence.

Hopefully the saudis do us a favour and take a few of the higher earning misfits off our hands and it could be a great window with some of the links.

If it was about his footballing ability, you'd want to keep him at United, as he's clearly talented. I'm arguing that his psychological headspace is what is holding him back. Fix that, and we have a very good player. You disagree. Fine. But please, don't patronize me with words like romanticism and placing scare quotes around other words (belief) I didn't use. This could be a place for healthy debate if it weren't for these rhetorical tricks people use in place of solid argument.

And to address one area, tracking back is a trait valued by our manager. If an attacking player doesn't do it (Ronaldo, Sancho to a lesser extent), they fall foul of the system the coach is trying to impose. If a player does it, that demonstrates they want to fit in to a system and not act like an entitled maverick. It's merely one aspect of what might help a player succeed at United, but it's a fundamental one given the manager's insistence on it.

Anyway, I was simply agreeing wth Rozay's post as an aside, and I don't want to derail a thread about a possible transfer target.

Tracking back isn’t a skill though. It’s a matter of effort. Sure it’s important that any player be willing to put in due effort out of t, but I don’t think it’s worth anything to note that as a defining trait of an attacker.

And you and I have far different definitions of talented so we can just leave it at that.

Tracking back isn’t a skill though. It’s a matter of effort. Sure it’s important that any player be willing to put in due effort out of t, but I don’t think it’s worth anything to note that as a defining trait of an attacker.

And you and I have far different definitions of talented so we can just leave it at that.

You seem to want to put words in my mouth. Words like romanticism and belief and now skill. I didn't say tracking back is a skill; it's a learned trait that can endear an attacking player to coaches who value it. I only mentioned it again because you did.

As for definitions of talented, let's just say that I've watched George Best play live, as well as Pele, Beckenbauer, and Eusebio. And I watched Bryan Robson from the Stretford End every other Saturday for years in the early eighties. I think I might know talent when I see it. But you're entitled to your unique definition. And yes, we should leave it at that, I agree.

This signing is quite near the bottom of the list. We need defenders, midfielders and a backup striker, before we can start looking at him.

I'm not just saying this because I have a soft spot for Palace and hope they keep him, but it seems to be that a team that's been dealing with significant injury issues should be wary of spending significant money on a player with such a spotty injury record...

If he remains injury free (a big if) I think his natural position is as a 10 rather than stuck out on the wing whether hugging the touch line or being an inverted winger making out to in runs.

Looks far more effective when operating from the centre as glasner has him doing.

If he remains injury free (a big if) I think his natural position is as a 10 rather than stuck out on the wing whether hugging the touch line or being an inverted winger making out to in runs.

Looks far more effective when operating from the centre as glasner has him doing.

He’s fine as a wide man, so long as he’s not on the touchline. A player like him would work well with a RB like Frimpong, with the balance provided by a more conservative LB. His role off the right for Palace now is perfect.

Ah, this has now become one of those ‘structure’ issues I hear so much about here now.

Again, Chelsea have a different narrative to United. Even when underperforming individually or collectively, their players are generally seen as good players

Okay you dont think our structure has issue, that is your opinion.

I am not only talking about Underperforming players. Youth players too. I suggest you have a look at Man City and even Chelsea.

Man City sold a player called Palmer for £40m with barely any first team experience.

Chelsea sold a player called Lewis Hall for around £30m.

Manchester United sold Alvaro Fernandez for £7.8m

Man City have just sold a player Taylor Harwood-Bellis for £20m.

There are many more youth players that were not playing first team football at their respective clubs still went for very good money.

I am not only talking about Underperforming players. Youth players too. I suggest you have a look at Man City and even Chelsea.

Man City sold a player called Palmer for £40m with barely any first team experience.

There are many more youth players that were not playing first team football at their respective clubs still went for very good money.

These players have different reputations, and are being sold to different clubs. It is irrelevant what City sell an academy player to Chelsea for if we can only sell ours to Benfica. Chelsea, Newcastle - they pay more money.

Also, City academy players are valued due to being on the fringes of an all-conquering team. Clubs come to City looking for opportunities, looking for players who can’t get in because the chances are, they will be better than theirs still. At United, even the players who play for us every week are largely considered to not be good enough by public perception. As a result, any player who can’t add value to or improve that team isn’t really considered an opportunity for big payers.

If we started winning major trophies again, better clubs than the ones we currently sell to will start sniffing around those on the fringes, and signing them would be seen as a coup.

We also sold Gilmour for 9m and CHO for less than 5m. Lewis Bate was seen as an absolute gem in the youth teams. Sold for 1.5m to Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.