Michael Olise | Joins Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Including Amad as part of this deal would be smart and beneficial for both. And I rate Amad highly.
How would it be beneficial for us? Amad has impressed more often than not when given the opportunity.

There's talk of a release clause for Olise too. We shouldn't be giving good players away for no reason.

Tuned in for the premiere and great video as usual, cheers! Additional confirmation for me that we really need to go for him.

My only argument was your statement saying Dalot likes to invert. He has a tactical instruction to invert right now in the past 5-10 games but he was a typical wide fullback making underlapping / overlapping runs quite a bit otherwise. Last season our set of four (or five) defensive players in possession was:

---------- Eriksen -- Casemiro ------
--- Shaw -- Martinez -- Varane ---

Dalot is up there providing width already. Let's see what Ten Hag's tactics for next season bring.
Agreed. I think the main reason Dalot has been asked to invert alot is due to the severe lack of ball playing defenders this season, because of the injures to Shaw and Martinez. Replacing Varane with an athletic ball playing defender and Casemiro with someone like Adam Wharton will mean less need to invert.

Rather Wharton than Olise or Eze at this point. Both are great but we will have to massively overpay to get either. Wharton is still underrated and he is headed for the very top and we might have a better chance at a cut price deal there.
I think the way things work with these sort of signings now is that you have to pay an insanely high amount with 2 years left to go, and Wharton has 4 years left. I think we just missed the boat on that one. Maybe in 2 years we go for him, unless we're prepared to pay at least 70M for him.
Remember. You don't buy Olise without buying Adam Wharton( the mind and brain of Palace )

Why the hype about this guy? Data's nothing to write home about: https://fbref.com/en/players/4b542852/scout/365_m1/Adam-Wharton-Scouting-Report

Why the hype about this guy? Data's nothing to write home about: https://fbref.com/en/players/4b542852/scout/365_m1/Adam-Wharton-Scouting-Report
I think if you look at Mainoo's fbref headline stats, they won't impress you either. He looks really good imho. Can really zip a pass through the lines and is quite physical in the tackle from what I've seen. Looks like a gem. He's only 19 too so sometimes with those stats its just a volume/usage thing. Teammates don't overburden such young players with constant possessions as they don't want to expose them but overtime they build trust. Fully expect his and Mainoo's stats to increase significantly as they solidify themselves in the first teams and grow in confidence to make more ambitious passes.

I think if you look at Mainoo's fbref headline stats, they won't impress you either. He looks really good imho. Can really zip a pass through the lines and is quite physical in the tackle from what I've seen. Looks like a gem. He's only 19 too so sometimes with those stats its just a volume/usage thing. Teammates don't overburden such young players with constant possessions as they don't want to expose them but overtime they build trust. Fully expect his and Mainoo's stats to increase significantly as they solidify themselves in the first teams and grow in confidence to make more ambitious passes.
This does make me wonder whether we can afford to have a 19 and 20 year old starting midfielders.

How would it be beneficial for us? Amad has impressed more often than not when given the opportunity.

There's talk of a release clause for Olise too. We shouldn't be giving good players away for no reason.

Olise is far better. Amad will be worth money in exchange.

2nd English midfielder (Rice, obviously, who we missed out on) since Carrick who looks capable of sitting in front of a defence and actually moving the ball and doing his job defensively, unless you count the best 18 months of Kalvin Phillip's career. Nice boring midfielder. Ideally we'd have signed him before Palace and we'd have a more defensive option to rotate with Mainoo as a #8 and a backup #6.

Bruno-Mount
Mainoo-Wharton
DM-Wharton

would have been a very nice looking midfield group going into next season assuming we could sign a proper #6, and then as a 6th guy maybe McTominay sticks around or we sell him and make a little profit even after signing a young player or Barkley on a free or another discount option as DM/CM depth.

We don’t have the squad for an Olise. It would be madness to bring in injury prone players after the year we have had.

Bowen is always fit, is exciting and direct and would offer proper service to Hojlund

We don’t have the squad for an Olise. It would be madness to bring in injury prone players after the year we have had.

Bowen is always fit, is exciting and direct and would offer proper service to Hojlund
So that's what we are gonna do 100%

Declare your source, so if he wanted Chelsea then why didn't he just go there last summer

We were going to pay his release clause. Palace said the only way we knew he had a release clause was because we were tapping up the player and said they would file a complaint about the transfer. Chelsea dropped all interest after that exchange

His brother is in the Chelsea Academy and just signed a two year extension.

I don’t know where he will end up but Olise and Joe Shields have a connection and the interest has been there even this year.

Last edited:
Olise is far better. Amad will be worth money in exchange.
I think they're similar level talents, just Olise has had the regular exposure to first team football to show it more often. I don't see a scenario where we wouldn't get shafted if we included Amad in the deal.

Yeah I've been digging into Mainoo's stats quite a bit actually but that's a separate topic.

This guy's defensive quality looks obvious from the stats but not sure about play making / passing. It shows up a bit in xA, key passes, passes into penalty area etc but not a lot of passing volume.

Him vs rice is quite interesting too https://fbref.com/tiny/ke3dQ

The injuries are the only concerning thing here but otherwise we're pretty much buying certain success for decent money. Missed two months this season and about 4 months last season both hamstring related. You also wonder about his pace / explosiveness if they keep recurring. I think between Amad, Olise and Garnacho we have enough depth there to cover in case Olise goes missing.

I still really would like to take a punt on him instead of chasing guys like Sancho who play in other leagues and who knows how well the success will translate?

The injuries are the only concerning thing here but otherwise we're pretty much buying certain success for decent money. Missed two months this season and about 4 months last season both hamstring related. You also wonder about his pace / explosiveness if they keep recurring. I think between Amad, Olise and Garnacho we have enough depth there to cover in case Olise goes missing.

I still really would like to take a punt on him instead of chasing guys like Sancho who play in other leagues and who knows how well the success will translate?

Leagues such as the Bundesliga are also elite competitions - successfully transitioning to a new club has more to do with how well the new club replicates the conditions within which the player in question thrived at their old club.

Olise seems to love coming inside and operating in that inside right/ half space area. If we bring him in and ask him to be the primary provider of width on the right, maintaining a wide position to stretch the pitch while having Dalot constantly moving into central midfield areas then the fact he has performed well in the league previously won't guarantee success here.

I am wary of this signing. His injury record where he has missed 135 & 60 days in the last two seasons respectively is a bit of a red flag. We don't need another player who struggles to stay fit. The rigors & pressures at United are going to be be much more taxing then at Palace, playing one game a week. On top, I am not sure how his languid playing style is going to work here. I would like us to get a more pacey versatile winger than another forward who does his best work centrally and doesn't have pace to burn. We already have Amad who is of a similar nature.

Leagues such as the Bundesliga are also elite competitions - successfully transitioning to a new club has more to do with how well the new club replicates the conditions within which the player in question thrived at their old club.

Even with like-for-like roles, there's always the risk of moving across leagues. I can't dig up the data right now but I'm pretty sure others can rattle off a few.

Olise seems to love coming inside and operating in that inside right/ half space area. If we bring him in and ask him to be the primary provider of width on the right, maintaining a wide position to stretch the pitch while having Dalot constantly moving into central midfield areas then the fact he has performed well in the league previously won't guarantee success here.

I agree, but as I responded elsewhere, Dalot being in midfield is somewhat new. Our earlier structure (or new structure if a guy like Tuchel comes in) was:

------------- Eriksen --- Casemiro -----------
------- Shaw --- Martinez --- Varane -----

With this Dalot was making overlapping / underlapping runs constantly.

It's clear we view Olise is a wide creator (what we thought we were getting with Sancho and to an extent Antony) who can also be a goalscorer. The Saka role if you will. The other wing will have guys like Garnacho / Rashford who can get in behind and stretch the pitch through off the ball running. Bruno does his best work in the left half space too so they will only complement each other.

I really struggle to see another player that's available for 50-60m that will fit this mould. He's an absolute must for me unless we expect Sancho to come back and play RW.

Unpopular opinion here but I don't think we should go for him. He finished the season on really good form so Palace will ask for at least 60-70M.

He's had two hamstring injuries in last two seasons which kept him away for a combined of 200 days and 21 games. So that's a red flag, we don't need any more injury prone players.

Also I think while he's technically gifted he's not fast and call me old fashion but I think pace is a must for wingers, at least for really top ones. I think he would shine in a team that dominates possession like City but I'm not sure he'd had much of an impact with a team like us. He's kind in the mold of Sancho who's more of a creator than an electric winger and we've seen how Sancho fitted here.

Remember. You don't buy Olise without buying Adam Wharton( the mind and brain of Palace )

Like buying tennis ball without buying tennis racket. Olise & Wharton = goes hand in hand. You can't miss one of them

And Like how can you smash in volleyball, without a set up to smash? Be logical and have a wider perspective. Narrow perspectiv will not solve the problems.

Most of Crystal Palace attack and build start much deeper. And Wharton is a key factor.

What happen to Palace before Wharton arrived back in 2 feb 2024? They start to became more consistent and more dangerous with their counter attack and scoring goals after Wharton arriving. So credit to Palace's recruitment team.

Palace's upfront 3 got most credit and attention. But if you analyzing Palace build closely. Then you will see Wharton had many 2nd and 3rd assist passes.
And due to Whoscored : Wharton has average 1 key pass each game.

At Old Trafford and for United. Wharton will be the same key factor. The deep lying and controlling cm playmaker.

The chemistry and connections between players are really important.
Don’t be silly, they aren’t joined at the hip.

Unpopular opinion here but I don't think we should go for him. He finished the season on really good form so Palace will ask for at least 60-70M.

He's had two hamstring injuries in last two seasons which kept him away for a combined of 200 days and 21 games. So that's a red flag, we don't need any more injury prone players.

Also I think while he's technically gifted he's not fast and call me old fashion but I think pace is a must for wingers, at least for really top ones. I think he would shine in a team that dominates possession like City but I'm not sure he'd had much of an impact with a team like us. He's kind in the mold of Sancho who's more of a creator than an electric winger and we've seen how Sancho fitted here.

to follow your post:
it’s hard not to jump on the bandwagon, this threads done a really good job of hyping him.
He’s only 22 and played 1277minutes last year. That isn’t a lot at all.

I agree with you. He may not suit our style, his style reminds me a bit like Antony and look how badly he has struggled. Granted, Olise is much better than Antony but for us to spend 60m of our budget on a RW this summer may not be the right play.

We need to get 2 CB's CDM and a ST before we get a RW. We have Amad, Garnacho and Antony who can play there. We would need to shift Antony before signing another RW.

I agree with you. He may not suit our style, his style reminds me a bit like Antony and look how badly he has struggled. Granted, Olise is much better than Antony but for us to spend 60m of our budget on a RW this summer may not be the right play.

We need to get 2 CB's CDM and a ST before we get a RW. We have Amad, Garnacho and Antony who can play there. We would need to shift Antony before signing another RW.

Agree with this, a right wing with current options feels like overkill and a waste of precious resource.

Seems to lack pace and directness. He's a great player and I think will go on to good things but lacks an edge for me. We're a transition team and I'm not sure he's suited to that.

I am wary of this signing. His injury record where he has missed 135 & 60 days in the last two seasons respectively is a bit of a red flag. We don't need another player who struggles to stay fit. The rigors & pressures at United are going to be be much more taxing then at Palace, playing one game a week. On top, I am not sure how his languid playing style is going to work here. I would like us to get a more pacey versatile winger than another forward who does his best work centrally and doesn't have pace to burn. We already have Amad who is of a similar nature.
I'm with you on this. I think we'd be better off hanging our hat on Amad and spending money more wisely in areas we desperately need like LB and CB.

Ridiculous signing if we make it. Overloading the right wing where we already have Amad, Garnacho and Antony as options when we have no left wingers? What kind of plan is this to improve the club?

We know that Amad can play on the right, and given a reasonable run he'll be a good player in that position, but then we also have Garnacho who is clearly better on the right too, and Antony will be staying at nobody will be looking to pay what we would want.

On the left we have Garnacho who can play there but is less effective, and Rashford who might as well stay on the bench and play with ten men instead most of the time. How have we decided that right wing is where we want to strengthen? Baffling!

I guarantee that what will happen is that we'll get in a right winger who will do ok, and we'll let Amad go because EtH clearly doesn't like him and he'll light up the league wherever he goes after a few games starting in the same position.

I’m starting to think Wharton is more what we need than Olise given that we already have young RW like Garnacho and Amad but we have not many option for young midfielder other than Mainoo.

Wharton isn’t finishing product yet so the stats doesn’t reflect his true potential. But based on eye test, he has the talent to play for top club level. At his age, he’s already been called in England squad too and part of the important player in Palace. Although, I’m not too sure what his best position. He plays in double pivot but I haven’t watch him enough to know if he has the talent to play as lone DM.

Ridiculous signing if we make it. Overloading the right wing where we already have Amad, Garnacho and Antony as options when we have no left wingers? What kind of plan is this to improve the club?

We know that Amad can play on the right, and given a reasonable run he'll be a good player in that position, but then we also have Garnacho who is clearly better on the right too, and Antony will be staying at nobody will be looking to pay what we would want.

On the left we have Garnacho who can play there but is less effective, and Rashford who might as well stay on the bench and play with ten men instead most of the time. How have we decided that right wing is where we want to strengthen? Baffling!

I guarantee that what will happen is that we'll get in a right winger who will do ok, and we'll let Amad go because EtH clearly doesn't like him and he'll light up the league wherever he goes after a few games starting in the same position.

To be fair, it’s more ridiculous that you have cited us as having no left wingers because Garnacho is a right winger. He isn’t. He’s obviously one of our left wing options.

Garna is primary a lw. We dont have a proper rw as anthony will be sold if we can find someone to take him.Olise will be the Greenwood ''replacement''

Are we confident that he'll have the mentality, the drive, the ambition to succeed here? He appears to be a bit too laid back, cool and comfortable to my liking and we can't really afford another Sancho.

To be fair, it’s more ridiculous that you have cited us as having no left wingers because Garnacho is a right winger. He isn’t. He’s obviously one of our left wing options.
He's an option for both but is a far better player on the right and his future (imo) should be on the right. But will probably be a top player on either flank

Olise has proven to be twice the player that Antony is in the league...garnacho can shift to the left where he prefers playing

still missing a back up for Rasmus but wingers in garnacho, olise, rashford(if he can find form again) and Amad is pretty solid

He's an option for both but is a far better player on the right and his future (imo) should be on the right. But will probably be a top player on either flank

Him becoming an option on the right is a testament to the fact that we don’t have the abundance of viable options on the right as is being implied by a few. He’s always been a left winger, yet became our best option on the right this season.

We don’t have a top class right wing option. Of all of our wingers, we only have a potentially top class option on the left, which is when Rashford hits his best levels. The rest are all promising, at best. Olise is one of the league’s best at the moment. I think we have room for that.

Him becoming an option on the right is a testament to the fact that we don’t have the abundance of viable options on the right as is being implied by a few. He’s always been a left winger, yet became our best option on the right this season.

We don’t have a top class right wing option. Of all of our wingers, we only have a potentially top class option on the left, which is when Rashford hits his best levels. The rest are all promising, at best. Olise is one of the league’s best at the moment. I think we have room for that.
Oh I agree, even if my preference would be to go for a guy like Nico Williams who can be a top option on both wings as well and is more of a direct runner and dribbler than Olise. But just looking at Garnacho individually, I wouldn't say he's better as a left winger than a right winger even if he played that position while younger. At the top level he has shown he's just a more composed player on the right, more unpredictable, more complete.

You think he's better on the left?

He will take this team up several notches with his playmaking capacity, crossing accurately to the back post and goal contributions.

Get him and a right back as Dalot can cover either flank given Shaw's inconsistency and it drastically changes how well the team can advance the ball on the right side of the pitch.

Garnacho is still a LW long term for me even though he’s done well on the right this season. He’s had to play most of the year without Shaw or even Malacia. As a winger his support from LB has been seriously lacking this season.

It’s also more about quality than quantity. Garnacho, Amad and Antony is hardly a set of formidable wide players especially if we are to go back to using Garnacho as a LW.

If we get Olise there’s very little reason to keep Antony. Would love to see the back of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.