Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does seem the Copa format constantly changes

Yeap, much like the geopolitics of that continent, lol; anyway, Maradona never won the Copa América; as I've said, winning it ain't easy at all.

Yeap, much like the geopolitics of that continent, lol; anyway, Maradona never won the Copa América; as I've said, winning it ain't easy at all.
It's certainly easier than winning the Euro, one quick look at how many the top countries have won tells you that.

Well, he only competed in two of them. How many attempts has Messi had?

Well, he only competed in two of them. How many attempts has Messi had?

Is it Messi's fault that Maradona has competed in only 2 Copa Americas..?

The degree of envy, littleness and stupidity exhibited by some of our posters here is really bewildering

Either Argentina or Brazil are in the final 9x out of 10

Argentina were in 3 of the last 4 finals.

The quality is very poor in copa América and that’s not much of a debate.

Wales probably makes the semi finals in the copa.

Croatia possibly final etc.

Even Brazil isn’t really that good compared to European teams.

In reality Messi should have multiple copa América trophies there is not enough competition to only have 1 win.

I don't know, Belgium isn't good compared to Portugal but CR7 lost..

In reality Portugal should have progressed past Belgium, there is not enough competition to lose against Belgium

Such childishness here. Is Argentina making it to the finals consistently the last decade or so an effect of Messi, or not? Is it that they just make it to finals all the time or is it that they've been making it to finals all the time because of Messi?

THINK, stop bawling like baby

No player in the history of the Copa has had more goals and assists in a single tournament than Messi who has done it twice now.

so yes, he holds the record

also

The Argentine, who has played more Copa America matches than any other player, holds the record for most assists in tournament history along with most free-kicks scored.

His five assists are the most by any player at a single tournament. The 34-year-old was awarded the player of the match award four times during the tournament which is also the record for a single edition. Messi has been player of the match 14 times in Copa America history which is also a record.
Again, assists weren't recorded in the past so we cant really say where that stands. 13 copa goals(joint 7th) in 31 copa games(joint 1st), hardly astonishing stuff. Also one title including some dire finals performances. It's also the first time he's top scored at a Copa even if it was joint.

Just knew this thread would have the classic nonsense. :lol: Portugal's 2016 run was against garbage, stop pretending otherwise. They scraped out of a crap group and only played literally one good team, in the final. Argentina have literally NEVER BEATEN Brazil in Brazil in a competitive fixture, and they had a day's less rest, after slogging past Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Ecuador and Colombia in extremely physical games. There is no comparison at all to anyone who watched the matches. But then, that's the entire basis of this debate, isn't it? Ronaldo fans keep trying to change the scope of the argument, trying to find one specific stat that favours their guy. This was the one actual thing they had over Messi, and now it's gone.

Frankly, this debate ended when Ronaldo took a MASSIVE step down to Serie A, not only is it a vastly weaker league and proves nothing, but he has actually achieved less and made Juve worse. Face facts guys. This battle is over. Your guy lost.

Even as a Messi fan I find this quite stupid. For me what Ronaldo does at 33-36 years old doesn't impact his legacy much, but he still managed a rather impressive amount of goals at Juventus despite his age. I agree Juventus have become worse with Ronaldo, but I also find part of that due to the quality of team and the manager.

Again, assists weren't recorded in the past so we cant really say where that stands. 13 copa goals(joint 7th) in 31 copa games(joint 1st), hardly astonishing stuff. Also one title including some dire finals performances. It's also the first time he's top scored at a Copa even if it was joint.

he’s had an immense run in the Copa, finals
Performances be damned. I’ve showed you the stats, he’s done things no other player has done on Copa history

It's certainly easier than winning the Euro, one quick look at how many the top countries have won tells you that.

portugal has been knocked out by South American teams the last two times they faced them. Says it all

And those teams were eliminated by other european teams?

yes but Portugal won the euros and still lost to South American teams. Making it sound like the Copa is full of poor teams outside of Argentina and Brazil is blatantly false

yes but Portugal won the euros and still lost to South American teams. Making it sound like the Copa is full of poor teams outside of Argentina and Brazil is blatantly false

The teams are not bad but they are weaker when you compare the rooster to Europe

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia

vs

Italy, England, Germany, France, Portugal, Spain, Croatia, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands

Just the group of death in the Euro this year is arguably higher theoretical quality than Argentina's and Brazil's entire run in Copa América this year

Bitterness is unreal. The Ronaldo fans constantly used the “International Achievements” as an arguement, and now that is evened out, the criteria has changed again.

Whether you like it or not, Messi will go down for most people as the GOAT. It’s matter of opinion and no one wins a medal for being on either side. The toxicity from both sides is mind-blowing though.

It Copa America was not an acceptable achievement for Ronaldo fans, then it means the only thing Messi could do to match Ronaldo’s Euros was to win the World Cup - which is something Ronaldo has not won himself. Adding to that, Messi has actually gone further in that competition than Ronaldo - a moot point perhaps.

Messi GOAT and a 7th Ballon d’Or will cement many people’s opinion of it.

The teams are not bad but they are weaker when you compare the rooster to Europe

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia

vs

Italy, England, Germany, France, Portugal, Spain, Croatia, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands

Just the group of death in the Euro this year is arguably higher theoretical quality than Argentina's and Brazil's entire run in Copa América this year

I agree totally that euro teams are better on average than South American teams, but Portugal’s run in 2016 was an extremely easy bracket

I agree totally that euro teams are better on average than South American teams, but Portugal’s run in 2016 was an extremely easy bracket

Yes for an Euro, about the hardest Argentina can get in Copa América.
Basically France (aka Brazil), Croatia (Chile/Uruguay) and other medium and medium-low teams.

You lunatics can't even give it a rest during one of the biggest games of the year.

That stat is right, but you need to see how was the Cup in their first 30 years or so. Uruguay has 15 Cups as well, but they played tournaments with 4 or 6 teams at the beginning, it's a little ridiculous. And many were played in consecutive years haha.

In 1975 the Cup started to be played with all 10 countrys that played in this year's Cup. This would be the 3rd CA for Argentina since then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América
But I was replying to someone who said they have won it 3 times in 100 years, which clearly isn't true.
portugal has been knocked out by South American teams the last two times they faced them. Says it all
Hasn't Argentina been knocked out by European teams every time in the WC in Messi's entire career?

I don't know, Belgium isn't good compared to Portugal but CR7 lost..

In reality Portugal should have progressed past Belgium, there is not enough competition to lose against Belgium

Such childishness here. Is Argentina making it to the finals consistently the last decade or so an effect of Messi, or not? Is it that they just make it to finals all the time or is it that they've been making it to finals all the time because of Messi?

THINK, stop bawling like baby
They have made plenty of finals before Messi….. the same can’t be said for Ronaldo.

So congrats your wrong on that one.

Them and Brazil making that many finals is a testament to how weak the competition is. It’s Brazil and Argentina and then everyone else.

You almost have an obligation to win if your either of those two and play as many finals as they have .

But I was replying to someone who said they have won it 3 times in 100 years, which clearly isn't true.

Hasn't Argentina been knocked out by European teams every time in the WC in Messi's entire career?

yes But European teams were much better back then where now Europe is weaker than ever

Easy bracket yet Portugal struggled in every single game and barely made it out the group. They faced the World Cup finalist Croatia, Poland which we only won on penalties and wales who were the surprise team of the tournament granted probably our easiest game. Oh and we faced tournament favorites and eventual World Cup champions France in the final.

So the only “easy” game for Portugal was wales and they almost got eliminated in the group stage.

Clearly Portugal were not that good and I could admit that. Without Ronaldo they don’t get out the group and that’s just fact.

Easy bracket yet Portugal struggled in every single game and barely made it out the group. They faced the World Cup finalist Croatia, Poland which we only won on penalties and wales who were the surprise team of the tournament granted probably our easiest game. Oh and we faced tournament favorites and eventual World Cup champions France in the final.

So the only “easy” game for Portugal was wales and they almost got eliminated in the group stage.

Clearly Portugal were not that good and I could admit that. Without Ronaldo they don’t get out the group and that’s just fact.

sure I agree and without Messi Argentina never get the last of group stage of any tourney

That I agree with, but top European teams are better than Argentina & Brazil and have the results to back that up

yes but Portugal avoided the cream of the crop during their run. Even against france it was the jammiest result of the last 20 years in fairness. But they got it done

They have made plenty of finals before Messi….. the same can’t be said for Ronaldo.

So congrats your wrong on that one.

Them and Brazil making that many finals is a testament to how weak the competition is. It’s Brazil and Argentina and then everyone else.

You almost have an obligation to win if your either of those two and play as many finals as they have .

I dunno, on one hand we have Messi one of the greatest footballers of all time

and then on the other hand we have you, a keyboard warrior, fighting for Cristiano

I think I’m going to go cheer for Messi winning the Copa

Argentina won three Copas in 60 years, so yes, it's a big deal winning the Copa América, much more in Brasil, at the Maracaná and against Neymar

Argentina won three Copas in 60 years, so yes, it's a big deal winning the Copa América, much more in Brasil, at the Maracaná and against Neymar
But that speaks more about Argentina though, bit of England about them innit. They should always be joint favourites with Brazil. Also, the competition in the copa really isn't all that as been mentioned before. It is as if Maradona moved to an English club at the end of his career and winning the League Cup, and his fans going nuts over it.

I slightly disagree. He obviously was not a good tactician but i'm assuming his presence as coach greatly motivated the players.
In modern football you don't win chapionships by motivating your players. In the 70's maybe

748 goals

315 assists

35 trophies

57 freekicks

54 hattricks

50 league goals in a season

73 goals all competitions in a season

91 goals in a year

30 or more club goals in last 13 seasons

8 Pichichi

6 European Golden Shoe

6 Ballon d'Or

6 FIFA Best Player

1 World Cup Golden Ball

2 UEFA Best Player

35 titles (some of the highlights are his 10 La Liga titles (vs Ronaldo’s mere 2 La Liga titles, 4 CL titles, one Copa America).

And as far as Ballon D’Or in 2021 is concerned: Messi is at 47 G+A in the calendar year 2021 for club and country. Trophies: Copa del Rey and Copa America.

Ronaldo not on that level in his statistical output. Both won their country’s respective Cup, but Messi also edge Ronaldo with his Copa America (in which very importantly Messi was the top scorers; top assistmaker AND deservedly awarded best player for the whole tournament).

Messi in 2021 has better stats and more trophies compared to Ronaldo so far.

Messi has the statistical output and trophies to win his 7th Ballon D’Or. Ronaldo won’t come close. He can’t beat the first trophy with Argentina-narrative.
Not a chance. Only Lewa will have a chance with his historical goal scoring in the Bundesliga, but I don’t think even he can’t top Messi in 2021 because of the stats of Messi AND Copa America triumph.

Last edited:
poland and Wales are nowhere near as good as Brazil. Hell, Columbia are probably better than Poland too

Uruguay are better than those teams as well and even Ronaldo admitted Pepe was Portugal’s best player in euro 2016, whereas Messi was much better for Argentina this year
I was comparing them at the respective stages they met in the tournament so Brazil would be comparable to France as that’s who portugal met in the final and are stronger.

Columbia and Uruguay aren’t better than those versions of Croatia and Poland. The former dismantled Spain in the group stages and made the WC final just 2 years later. The latter finished on the same points with a strong Germany in the groups. No way Columbia and current Uruguay are better than those teams were.

Status
Not open for further replies.