Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this even a debate anymore?

Never should have been. Messi is miles better and most people think so, most pundits and football men pick Messi. The ones that don't are mainly ex teammates of Ronaldo's.

Messi is winning 60/40 on a forum with heavy Ronaldo bias.

The website Messi Vs Ronaldo has just over 1m votes and Messi has over 600k of the votes.

The website ladbible had 380k votes and Messi has 62% of the votes.

I could show miles more polls but I don't feel that it is necessary. Obviously it is only opinions but it is striking that most voting polls have Messi as better.

Never should have been. Messi is miles better and most people think so, most pundits and football men pick Messi. The ones that don't are mainly ex teammates of Ronaldo's.

The website Messi Vs Ronaldo has just over 1m votes and Messi has over 600k of the votes.

I could show miles more polls but I don't feel that it is necessary. Obviously, it is only opinions but it is striking that most voting polls have Messi as better.

The polls overall all being 60/40 kinda proves that this forum doesn't exactly have a heavy Ronaldo bias since it's inside the norm of the rest of the polls.

Like I said before, saying that any one of those players is "miles better" than the other is a biased opinion because you can't really say that when their output is somewhat similar in similar circumstances.
You can't really quantify talent and even if there are aspects of the game that Messi is better, Ronaldo isn't exactly sht either in a lot of those aspects.
If there is a gap between the two overall, it's small enough that any opinion is more based on personal taste than actually "who is the better player".

After that double last night there's no debate anymore...

Yeah, makes sense. The debate was decided over a 90m game although they both share 15 years of elite games.
It's always funny when someone from either camp says that like it makes sense.

There's nothing they both can do now that will change the mind of most people or decide whatever there is to decide. Maybe winning the WC or something like that will shake some opinions, but that's pretty much it and even that is highly subjective since both could win it without having a great impact.

Last edited:

I could show miles more polls but I don't feel that it is necessary. Obviously it is only opinions but it is striking that most voting polls have Messi as better.
Ok but I can’t resist posting this everytime someone mentioned about polls results, just another 483k votes for your considerations. It could means nothing to you, but votes are votes.

Aye he bought Ramsey the same way Messi bought Memphis :lol:

Can’t believe how top tier Barcelona have been with the amount of top tier players they have had at near 100m for some players and got destruct by Suarez leaving almost on the same year. Messi just can’t win the big titles for them without World Cup Spanish team at it’s core :(

same with Ronaldo and not having the best midfield in the world behind him

Ok but I can’t resist posting this everytime someone mentioned about polls results, just another 483k votes for your considerations. It could means nothing to you, but votes are votes.

The people who saw Pele and Maradona play, probably don’t even know how to vote on sky sports apps or whatever they use.

when Eder scored and united went to CL finals and win the league even after Ronaldo left ;)

The same years Spain (pique, puyol, Alba, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Pedro etc) won the euros and World Cup playing Barcelona copy tiki taka football? :eek: Crazy coincidence they played literally the same way as Barcelona.;)

I find this thread fun!

The same years Spain (pique, puyol, Alba, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Pedro etc) won the euros and World Cup playing Barcelona copy tiki taka football? :eek: Crazy coincidence they played literally the same way as Barcelona.;)

I find this thread fun!

haha Ronaldo had some of those World Cup and euro winning players too you know! Real Madrid players were part of that core

Do you want Ronaldo to stay at Juventus? I think he’s wasting his time there. He’s obviously still good enough to win a CL with the right squad around him but Juvnetus’s management is brutal and I don’t think allegeri will be enough to right that ship enough

in fairness all the pundits at sky sports have Messi ahead of Ronaldo:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...le-maradona-who-are-the-greatest-players-ever
As you may already know, even though I personally favours Ronaldo, I would still think Messi is the better player, he is simply the best I've seen, so I tend to agree when people thinks Messi is better than Ronaldo.

But in regards to who is the greatest, Ronaldo is a slightly ahead in my mind, not because of his pure footballing, but rather his overall achievements and his mentality to keep challenging for greatness throughout his career, at whatever clubs and country he has played for, he just keep breaking records after records, winning trophies after trophies, and still keep going strong at the very top even he is already 36, he just never stop. I don't think I've seen anything like that before, and I simply felt he is most relatable in my definition of "greatest".

Last edited:
I think United websites and Portuguese ones are the only places where Cristiano is rated higher than Messi. I hope they both retire quickly to be honest, they can take to their hysterical fans with them and all.

As you may already know, even though I personally favours Ronaldo, I would still think Messi is the better player, he is simply the best I've seen, so I tend to agree when people thinks Messi is better than Ronaldo.

But in regards to who is the greatest, Ronaldo is a slightly ahead in my mind, not because of his pure footballing, but rather his overall achievements and his mentality to keep challenging for greatness throughout his career, at whatever clubs and country he has played for, he just keep breaking records after records, winning trophies after trophies, and still keep going strong at the very top even he is already 36, he just never stop. I don't think I've seen anything like that before, and I simply felt he is most relatable in my definition of "greatest".

You just love being sensible don’t you? Well said, Ronaldo’s mentality is definitely amazing and I admire his drive at 36 like he still has something to prove. I took a trip to Italy back in 2019 and got an opportunity to see him up close with some great seats. He had a brave against Udinese and for me it was easier to appreciate his movement in the box than it was on TV.

Exactly this.

Messi is the best player I’ve seen with my eyes.

Ronaldo is just the greater player - I value his achievements more.

Exactly this.

Messi is the best player I’ve seen with my eyes.

Ronaldo is just the greater player - I value his achievements more.
Yup. Best for me means talent and peak level, of which Messi wins for sure for me. Greatest is the legacy and a mixture of talent with career achievements. Ronaldo beats Messi based on the past 5 years. Was tight until Ronaldo decided to win the euros and multiple CL titles in a few years. Only way Messi catches up in that regard at this point is by winning a world cup.

Yup. Best for me means talent and peak level, of which Messi wins for sure for me. Greatest is the legacy and a mixture of talent with career achievements. Ronaldo beats Messi based on the past 5 years. Was tight until Ronaldo decided to win the euros and multiple CL titles in a few years. Only way Messi catches up in that regard at this point is by winning a world cup.

No chance Messi only catches up if he wins the WC. He has won more league titles and barely many less CL titles. If he wins the Copa they are equal.

Another marvellous performance by Messi.

Is this even a debate anymore?

I get that you're making fun of the previous comments here, but the constant recency bias here is both a bit fun and tiring. They both sealed their legacy a long time ago. Even if they both keep playing untill they are 40 I don't think there is much that could change my mind at this point.

I get that you're making fun of the previous comments here, but the constant recency bias here is both a bit fun and tiring. They both sealed their legacy a long time ago. Even if they both keep playing untill they are 40 I don't think there is much that could change my mind at this point.

I just try and enjoy both while I can. It's also quite funny that amidst a host of expectations and opinions about every other player on earth like Mbappe, Lukaku, etc, Ronaldo faired pretty well at 36 years of age at the Euros and at the very least didn't choke, and Messi is pretty much showing that all of South America is 1 entire level below him at age 34.

I just try and enjoy both while I can. It's also quite funny that amidst a host of expectations and opinions about every other player on earth like Mbappe, Lukaku, etc, Ronaldo faired pretty well at 36 years of age at the Euros and at the very least didn't choke, and Messi is pretty much showing that all of South America is 1 entire level below him at age 34.

True despite their age and having more milage in their legs than most footballers eve they are still delivering as well as you could expect them to at their age. Apart from their peaks their consistentsy is unprecedented in this age of football.

Messi wins his first international trophy against Brazil, in Brazil, on the 10th of July after Maradona passed away.

Ronaldo wins his first international trophy against France, in France, on the 10th of July after Eusébio passed away.

Congrats to Messi, deserves it for the career he's had. Came very close a lot of times and got unlucky, today luck went his way. That's the reward for being at the top level for so long.

Congrulations to Messi on winning Copa. He deserves winning it.

This year he adds his first Copa trophy for Argentina, and also finished as top scorer/assist of the tournament, which I think is quite significance milestone for him, as he finally wins it for his country, theres no longer any major regrets in his career!

But don't forget Ronaldo has also broke a few all time records this year too! (career goal record, Euro record, international goal record etc). So I'd say they have both managed to add more to their legacy this year, which is amazing feat given their old age.

Messi wins his first international trophy against Brazil, in Brazil, on the 10th of July after Maradona passed away.

Ronaldo wins his first international trophy against France, in France, on the 10th of July after Eusébio passed away.

Congrats to Messi, deserves it for the career he's had. Came very close a lot of times and got unlucky, today luck went his way. That's the reward for being at the top level for so long.
Great post you Ronaldo “fanboi”! (Seriously though - good post)

It's good that both of them won major trophy for their countries. It would have been ridiculous had they retired without winning one for the GOAT career they had.

I hope one of them wins the next world cup.

It really would have been ridiculous if Messi finished his unbelievable career without an international trophy.

I’d love to see him in another too European league now too away from Barcelona.

He will retire the best of all time for me. His highlight reel of goals and assists will possibly be the best DVD in history too. It’ll be a sad day when they have both retired.

Ronaldo winning a trophy with Portugal, or Messi now winning a trophy with Argentina doesnt change my opinion of either players, that opinion remains the same.

So Messi in his 5th try has finally won an International trophy. Surely that makes his intl record better than that of Ronaldos. I mean 4 copa finals (one win) and one world cup final is a better record than 2 finals (one win). I'm talking about senior honours here so the olympics and u20 world cup is irrelevant.

For me, Ronaldo is slightly better than Messi due to ronaldo winning at United, Real and Juventus while Messi only won with Barca

For a player of his caliber he was missing a trophy for his national team, hope this does relieve some pressure from him.

For me, Ronaldo is slightly better than Messi due to ronaldo winning at United, Real and Juventus while Messi only won with Barca

Not up to date, are you? Messi just won something with Argentina.

His other skill set is clearly not as good as Messi now or in recent years. But I would say from around 06 to 14, they are indeed very close in every sense. Ronaldo used to be one of the best dribbler, best tricks and best runner with best long shot back in his days, remember. Maybe Messi was better in dribbling and ball control while Ronaldo was better in doing tricks and long shots etc. I’d even argue Ronaldo was more all rounded back in his days with more weapons in his pockets than anyone. Messi just being exceptional good in dribbling and playmaking.

I mean, it’s funny people tend to remember the past greats in their peak form which only last for around 2-5 years, wheteas for Ronaldo, people tend to just remember the older, poacher version of him more in recent years during his 30s, but not during his physical peak which last for 8+ years back in his 20s.

If we compare both players in their peak (06-14)

Ronaldo:

- finishing 10
- long shot 10
- heading 9
- passing 8
- vision 8
- playmaking 8
- crossing 9
- dribbling 9
- ball control 9
- technique 9
- tricks 10
- pace 10
- acceleration 9
- freekick 9
- stamina 9
- strength 9
- athleticism 10
- balance 8
- agility 9
- composure 9
- movement 9

Messi

- finishing 10
- long shot 8
- heading 7
- passing 9
- vision 10
- playmaking 10
- crossing 8
- dribbling 10
- ball control 10
- technique 10
- tricks 8
- pace 8
- acceleration 9
- freekick 8
- stamina 8
- strength 7
- athleticism 7
- balance 10
- agility 10
- composure 9
- movement 9

I’d say Messi has more 10s but Ronaldo has higher average stats and fewer weakness back in those days. Sure if we compare now Messi would look better overall.
Did you come up with all these ratings yourself or is there some kind of science to it?

Messi has more goals outside the box than Ronaldo I'm pretty sure(or it's certainly very close either way) @RedRonaldo

So how'd you give Ronaldo a 10 for that, but Messi a 8?

For a player of his caliber he was missing a trophy for his national team, hope this does relieve some pressure from him.

Funny enough, I too think he will feel a little more light now. Just like with Ronaldo, there was always this lack of nt trophies. And now the debate can be held even sillier :drool:

Messi won his international trophy against their most hated rival in their country and stadium. Can't be better than this. It's epic if you know something about football history.

Argentina can now play the Confederation Cup next year in Qatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.