Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These days I don't get how a 1-month cup is rated higher than 10-15 years of football domination. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that winning the World Cup is still the top achievement for any player and I assume that both Ronaldo and Messi will finish their career without winning one but they did win everything else.
I don't hold against Messi for not winning a trophy for the NT the same way I don't rate Ronaldo higher for winning the Euro 2016. Both were core key players for their national team and at the end of the day, the team stepped up for Ronaldo in 2016 while in the case of Messi they didn't step up at all when it mattered.

With that said, it's probably the only thing they have against them when you compare Pele and Maradona vs Ronaldo and Messi. In pretty much everything else, it seems to be a no-contest imo based on what I know.

Obviously, I didn't see either Pele or Maradona play so my opinion might sound a bit unfair because it's based on online information so it's mainly based on stats.

Yeah. I agree with the pundits here. Goes for Ronaldo too

People always talk stuff like "how can a one month world cup matter". Yeah well how can a one second kick of the ball to win the champions league final matter? Collectively winning goal kicks are what, a minute?

It's a silly argument. The world cup is the pinnacle of pressure. Overcoming it be it one second or one year is a massive achievement -- the highest there is.

People always talk stuff like "how can a one month world cup matter". Yeah well how can a one second kick of the ball to win the champions league final matter? Collectively winning goal kicks are what, a minute?

It's a silly argument. The world cup is the pinnacle of pressure. Overcoming it be it one second or one year is a massive achievement -- the highest there is.

I would say that usually the best team(and the best functioning one) wins the world cup and not the one that has the best player. Of course in a final anything can happen. I'd say from more recent history only Maradonna carried a more average international side to glory and of course that's his ultimate legacy. Of course in the recent past some of the worlds best players have played for the winners or the finalists like R9, Ronaldinho, Zidane etc. However you still need an element of luck to be born both a great player and then into a great international generation. I'm pretty sure Pelé would have had less world cups if he had been born into much lesser international side and if you swapped Messi or Ronaldo into some of the greatest international sides they would have had 1 at least.

We should all be backing our boy CR7. Yes, he made a mistake in leaving us but he was still our boy at the end of the day. Only ever spoken very highly of us and has suggested numerous times that’d he be very keen to come back.

Not when 2 players have performed better than everyone else in the world for 10 years straight at club level.

Scoring roughly 700 goals and 300 assists in 15 years is far superior to performing for 4 weeks once every 4 years.

Not when 2 players have performed better than everyone else in the world for 10 years straight at club level.

Scoring roughly 700 goals and 300 assists in 15 years is far superior to performing for 4 weeks once every 4 years.

That's because they've done so much better than the rest at club level but if there was a closer number 3 who was just behind at club level but churned a WC or two for their nation it would be a different story. Obviously, your NT teams standing matters a lot as well for a world cup.

I would say that usually the best team(and the best functioning one) wins the world cup and not the one that has the best player. Of course in a final anything can happen. I'd say from more recent history only Maradonna carried a more average international side to glory and of course that's his ultimate legacy. Of course in the recent past some of the worlds best players have played for the winners or the finalists like R9, Ronaldinho, Zidane etc. However you still need an element of luck to be born both a great player and then into a great international generation. I'm pretty sure Pelé would have had less world cups if he had been born into much lesser international side and if you swapped Messi or Ronaldo into some of the greatest international sides they would have had 1 at least.

Luck is part of anything even Messi and Ronaldo but those players who you mentioned had standout world cup games as well.

We should all be backing our boy CR7. Yes, he made a mistake in leaving us but he was still our boy at the end of the day. Only ever spoken very highly of us and has suggested numerous times that’d he be very keen to come back.

Why should we throw our judgement out of the
window and let bias cloud our judgement.

He also suggested he would come back numerous times as a ploy to get a better deal at Real and used the club as a stepping stone. This is a fact and thinking he is a loyal United lad is naive.

Luck is part of anything even Messi and Ronaldo but those players who you mentioned had standout world cup games as well.

I agree and its a slight on Messi and Ronaldo that they havnt had truly outstanding world cup performances.

I agree and its a slight on Messi and Ronaldo that they havnt had truly outstanding world cup performances.

Messi's WC performance 2014 was outstanding if you look past goals and assists.

I am not at all claiming that European teams are better than South American teams or vice versa. All I said was that it is dumb making a point that some team X beat some team Y who happened to be a Euro/Copa winner 2 years ago so team X is better. Teams change every year and they either improve or get worse. Just take a look at Croatia, the WC finalists in 2018 losing to England this year. Makes no sense.

Winning copa back to back only to not qualify for the WC speaks volumes about Chile's and South American teams' quality if you wanna go down that route but again, I am not wanting to make any judgements there.

Again, you picking knockout stages and not group stages is cherry picking and if you choose to die on that hill, be my guest.

you explained your logic much better this time around. I do agree that things can change very quickly in sports but be arguing that during that “period” Chile and Uruguay were better than Portugal. I do understand that using a one game sample is not always the best sample size, and barges with you there but I was also reiterating that when those teams were bearing Portugal they were genuinely good in their own right as opposed to getting a jammy result which can sometimes happen when you have a massive underdog upset a Goliath.

England are crap just good players on paper - yet your telling me that Chile were a good team once :lol: literally 3-4 good players on paper.

england has more on paper anyway and always have.

Chile won back to back Copa America’s and were ranked top 5 in the world for a few years. England have been one of the biggest underperforming sides of the past ten years and had one decent tournament run during that time mostly thanks to being on the much easier side of the bracket. So yeah, England are crap, and have the results to back that up outside of a one year blip.

These days I don't get how a 1-month cup is rated higher than 10-15 years of football domination. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that winning the World Cup is still the top achievement for any player and I assume that both Ronaldo and Messi will finish their career without winning one but they did win everything else.
I don't hold against Messi for not winning a trophy for the NT the same way I don't rate Ronaldo higher for winning the Euro 2016. Both were core key players for their national team and at the end of the day, the team stepped up for Ronaldo in 2016 while in the case of Messi they didn't step up at all when it mattered.

With that said, it's probably the only thing they have against them when you compare Pele and Maradona vs Ronaldo and Messi. In pretty much everything else, it doesn't seem to be a contest imo based on what I know.

Obviously, I didn't see either Pele or Maradona play so my opinion might sound a bit unfair because it's based on online information so it's mainly based on stats.

It’s about having a complete resume I guess. It’s not a 1 month cup v 10-15 years of football domination because Pele and Maradona also have 10-15 years of football domination (well more like 10 in Maradona’s case) plus the one month cup which is the biggest and most iconic prize in the sport. Obviously Messi and Ronaldo will have played for longer when they retire but there’s reasons for that and it shouldn’t just be about longevity. Lebron is not better than Jordan just because he played longer.

Messi's WC performance 2014 was outstanding if you look past goals and assists.

It was actually very good (and deserving of the Golden Ball) but not on the level of the best that Pele or Maradona produced. Certainly no truly iconic moments.

It was actually very good (and deserving of the Golden Ball) but not on the level of the best that Pele or Maradona produced. Certainly no truly iconic moments.

Not suggesting it was as good as Pelé or Maradona. Yet he was the best player in the tournament and he had more than decent competition in Robben (and Neymar up until his injury) for example. Both better than any player in 2018 e. g. if you ask me.

Well Messi has reached the final and Ronaldo has reached the semi final so it was possible for both of them to win it. But they didn’t. Neither has scored a goal in the KO rounds of the WC and CR has not even registered an assist.

Also, when Pele came into the Brazil team, they’d never won the World Cup before (in fact they’d been humiliated on home soil just 8 years prior). They had a strong team but no pedigree in the world game. Also, they had the disadvantage of playing in Europe, and the 58 victory remains the only time that a SA team has won on European soil (it took until 2014 for the reverse to happen).

The first WC win is always the hardest.

Is this even a debate anymore?
I also don‘t get it how this is even debatable.
I think you can‘t compare Messi to anyone.
The best passer, dribbler, playmaker ever vs arguably the best goalscorer ever (Ronaldo) and Messi also has as many goals as him.

Sir Alex Ferguson "The Messi I saw 10 years ago was on verge of being the best, the Messi I saw today is already the greatest ever"

Never heard Sir Alex call Ronaldo the greatest ever.

Sir Alex Ferguson "The Messi I saw 10 years ago was on verge of being the best, the Messi I saw today is already the greatest ever"

the number of footballers who call Messi the GOAT vs Ronaldo is 10 to 1

I will feel sorry for you guys when both players retire and the new generation are a few levels below them, no more " x better than y " so be happy to actually watched them play in your lifetime.

I will feel sorry for you guys when both players retire and the new generation are a few levels below them, no more " x better than y " so be happy to actually watched them play in your lifetime.

It will be Messi junior vs Ronaldo junior.

Yes but a lot of them say that because they see Ronaldo an arrogant "star"

I don’t think that’s true at all. It’s because they see both at close quarters and (mostly) realise that Messi is a better footballer. I’m sure they all respect Ronaldo, plus I’m sure they don’t all see him as arrogant, how someone comes across on TV or from a distance in a game is not necessarily how they are behind the scenes.

Are you sure? Didnt SAF say Ronaldo could score a hat-trick playing for port Vale or something like that while Messi would struggle to be effective outside of Barca’s system?

Are you sure? Didnt SAF say Ronaldo could score a hat-trick playing for port Vale or something like that while Messi would struggle to be effective outside of Barca’s system?

he did. then he saw Ronaldo vs Lyon & Porto after he left Madrid and said - "Never mind".

Yes but a lot of them say that because they see Ronaldo an arrogant "star"

they also say that because no one else "murdered" them the way Messi did. Ronaldo's stats are crazy, but he rarely destroys you during the game. no one is intimidated by his penalties, tap ins, headers etc. SAF was literally shaking during that final vs Barca. the last time I felt like that was when Kaka was toying with our poor defence and before that it was L. Ronaldo. Cristiano scores, you lose and that's that. Messi basically humiliates you and exposes you to unthinkable so that impression lasts longer.

Last edited:
Cristiano keeps on murdering record after record, at Club and International level, season after season, the guys with high IQ's on Redcafe keep blabbering on and on, one of the funniest and most entertaining things to see.

Some are more invested in arguing than anything. When Messi and CR7 retire they'll just move on to Mbappe and Haaland or whoever else.

Cristiano keeps on murdering record after record, at Club and International level, season after season, the guys with high IQ's on Redcafe keep blabbering on and on, one of the funniest and most entertaining things to see.

No one is arguing that Ronaldo isn't one of if not the gretaest goal scorer of all time. Best goal scorer and best player are two different things.

Some use their eyes to decide - some use their mind to decide.

That is the only difference.

CR7 50cents army calling others with different opinions stupid. Why am I not surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.