Messi in Miami

The gulf in class will be unreal, even with his twilight years.
Only if he cares and plays like it. Which I don’t believe he will.
He will score some beautiful free kicks, a few nice goals from open play and that’s about it.

Messi won’t struggle in the MLS because he isn’t still one of the best footballers in the world, he’ll struggle because the collective quality of his new team is pretty low. We have seen Messi struggle at times with some of the Argentina squads because of such a gap in quality, and he looks half the player. Not a single person on that Miami team can replicate the off the ball runs his former teammate make that allow him to just dictate the play with his passing. He’s also going to find that the balls played into him are not as accurate. As another poster said, he will score some nice free kicks and some good goals from open play, but I don’t think we will even view him as the most effective player in the league. Pirlo looked awful in the MLS at times, and a lot of it was simply because his teammates weren’t anywhere near the level required to play alongside him. Perhaps if Miami can sign a few players that work well with Messi (a quick, overlapping left back for example) then he will be able to shine, but right now, I expect he’s going to train with these players and feel like he’s got no hope of elevating them.

I mean If you are going to count Messi as being 36 going to MLS, you also have to count Ronaldo as being 36 when he was top goalscorer in Serie A too (he played the season at age 35 to 36, around half each over there)
What's exactly your point? Your username gives me somewhat an idea but still...

The gulf in class will be unreal, even with his twilight years.
I think that he mentally called it a day after he won the WC. There's no motivation left in him and he couldn't get out of Paris soon enough.

He's not going to Miami for trophies or competitive football. Just to gently finish his career in the sun while taking a last nice big payday. He and his family (will) love it there.

Fair play to him, proving himself capable 1 final time of being able to do things CR7 can't do, by showing he can live freely in the USA

What's exactly your point? Your username gives me somewhat an idea but still...
Well you just jump into middle of conversation not directing to you, so don't expect you will have any clue at all.

Impressive that Beckham learned to speak English at that age. When I met him outside OT and got his autograpth it took ages because we were just talking past eachother in foreign gibberish.

Last edited:
One thing about David Beckham he learned to speak English for us, with an accent.

What?

I think that he mentally called it a day after he won the WC. There's no motivation left in him and he couldn't get out of Paris soon enough.

He's not going to Miami for trophies or competitive football. Just to gently finish his career in the sun while taking a last nice big payday. He and his family (will) love it there.
Oh I agree, but I think even in snooze mode he still stands out a mile in that league. Even more so when he’s playing just for fun with no pressure.

I mean If you are going to count Messi as being 36 going to MLS, you also have to count Ronaldo as being 36 when he was top goalscorer in Serie A too (he played the season at age 35 to 36, around half each over there)
Real shame he didn't win a World Cup at age 35 to 36.

(can't post media)
Rejecting Jeddah proves it's not about money. He didn't want to get fingers pointed at him, to be called responsible for the departure of several of the veteran players (Pique, Busquets, Alba) just so he could return and Barça could pay him, so ultimately he refused the offer and chose Miami
I suppose Miami will treat him as the main star, something that he would obviously want, and a big spanish speaking community in the city so probably another reason for chosing it.

With Messi's European club career coming to an end, what are people's pick for Messi's best season and his best ever performance in a game?

For best season, I've always said 2010-2011 is his peak, but I do think 2014-2015 has a very very strong argument. I don't consider his 2011-2012 season in the argument despite the insane production, because I thought he was lacking a bit in certain big games compared to his own standards.

For his best ever game, I actually think it was against United in the CL final at Wembley. But there's plenty of other games to argue too.

Rejecting Jeddah proves it's not about money. He didn't want to get fingers pointed at him, to be called responsible for the departure of several of the veteran players (Pique, Busquets, Alba) just so he could return and Barça could pay him, so ultimately he refused the offer and chose Miami
I suppose Miami will treat him as the main star, something that he would obviously want, and a big spanish speaking community in the city so probably another reason for chosing it.

He could have played for Barca for a romantic finale if he was willing to lower his wages enough though. Im not finger wagging though. Its his job. If he wants to paid what the market calculates him to be worth i cant begrudge him for his decision.

With Messi's European club career coming to an end, what are people's pick for Messi's best season and his best ever performance in a game?

For best season, I've always said 2010-2011 is his peak, but I do think 2014-2015 has a very very strong argument. I don't consider his 2011-2012 season in the argument despite the insane production, because I thought he was lacking a bit in certain big games compared to his own standards.

For his best ever game, I actually think it was against United in the CL final at Wembley. But there's plenty of other games to argue too.

I would also go with 2010-2011 as the best version of Messi. Can't pin down his best game though.

Too many “best games”. One that people don’t really mention was the hattrick in the Classico for 10 men-barca, but when Ronaldinho was still there

He could have played for Barca for a romantic finale if he was willing to lower his wages enough though. Im not finger wagging though. Its his job. If he wants to paid what the market calculates him to be worth i cant begrudge him for his decision.

I don't think that's true. They allegedly offered him a €13m contract and he was principally willing to accept it, essentially renouncing a billion in wages from Saudi Arabia. The issue rather seemed to be the old registering topic at Barca. If they needed to get rid of players and lower the wage bill for the permission by La Liga, they couldn't even have registered him if he played for free.

I don't think that's true. They allegedly offered him a €13m contract and he was principally willing to accept it, essentially renouncing a billion in wages from Saudi Arabia. The issue rather seemed to be the old registering topic at Barca. If they needed to get rid of players and lower the wage bill for the permission by La Liga, they couldn't even have registered him if he played for free.

Well what i meant is that he could gone for an even lower wage at Barca but i dont think there is a precedent for the greatest players ever not wanting to be paid roughly what the market dictates what they are worth. If his wage was low enough they wouldnt need to sell players to comply with la liga ffp.

Well what i meant is that he could gone for an even lower wage at Barca but i dont think there is a precedent for the greatest players ever not wanting to be paid roughly what the market dictates what they are worth. If his wage was low enough they wouldnt need to sell players to comply with la liga ffp.

I don't think it works this way. As I understood, they technically aren't allowed to sign any players since their wage bill is too high in relation to their revenues, so every transfer requires a special permission by La Liga. And they only approved his arrival on the premise that they further reduce wages. He probably could have offered to play for 0€ and they would still have to get rid of players or lower their salaries because La Liga expects an improvement before giving its blessing.

I don't think it works this way. As I understood, they technically aren't allowed to sign any players since their wage bill is too high in relation to their revenues, so every transfer requires a special permission by La Liga. And they only approved his arrival on the premise that they further reduce wages. He probably could have offered to play for 0€ and they would still have to get rid of players or lower their salaries because La Liga expects an improvement before giving its blessing.

Okay i admit i have no idea what the actual rules are regarding this.

So this team is rock bottom, with a 19k temporary stadium and not a great "roster" of players, apparently. A very interesting move indeed. I'm actually quite intrigued to see Messi in this type of environment and what he can do in a really poor team.

I can't believe he would move to a team that is so poor. Yes, yes - I know the money, etc. But I'm sure he could have got that type of money elsewhere.

That’s just PR talks. You’ll know it’s full of shit the moment Barcelona makes a signing.

Saying La Liga didn’t allow Messi to play even if he’s willing to take a huge pay cute free for a much nicer story to the fans than Barce can’t afford Messi.

Their fans are gullible enough to lap it up.

That’s just PR talks. You’ll know it’s full of shit the moment Barcelona makes a signing.

Saying La Liga didn’t allow Messi to play even if he’s willing to take a huge pay cute free for a much nicer story to the fans than Barce can’t afford Messi.

They literally could not register him until player sales are made this summer. Take the tin foil hat off your head.

A dribble from the good old days :drool:

Absolute filth. At 35 years of age, in his final World Cup. He deserves all the hype that WC generated for him. Still has it in spades and is an elite player. Really hope he puts on a clinic in the MLS.

Just that it's the case for every transfer rumour. All the time the leaks claimed 'Barca can't sign players in the summer if they don't significantly reduce their wage bill'. It's been consistent since two years or so even if that's not what the angry mob wants to hear.

You can claim you're right when Barca signs a player on a similar financial deal without freeing budget or making profits. Won't happen obviously.

great goal. 19 goals behind international record atm, which is quite something since he never played San Marino and other disabled teams. Argentina to hold couple of low profile friendlies so he can settle that as well? :drool:

They literally could not register him until player sales are made this summer. Take the tin foil hat off your head.
He can wait till they sell someone if he really wanted to join them but sure big bad La Liga is denying Messi’s return to Barcelona, nothing to do with the huge salary he’s going to enjoy in semi-retirement.

Just that it's the case for every transfer rumour. All the time the leaks claimed 'Barca can't sign players in the summer if they don't significantly reduce their wage bill'. It's been consistent since two years or so even if that's not what the angry mob wants to hear.

You can claim you're right when Barca signs a player on a similar financial deal without freeing budget or making profits. Won't happen obviously.
They’ve Busquet, Bellerin and Depay’s salary off the books in a few weeks time, if Messi was willing to play for as low as they’re claiming, they will find a way to get it done.

La Liga isn’t going to say no to more viewers watching their league if Messi was really willing to return.

I dunno, I think Messi doesn't care or doesn't know how silly and Toxic the Yank and Mexican press can be if his team doesn't have a good campaign and from what I've heard the team is quite in poor state, plus like the aussie match play above, everyone would want a piece of him, a tale for their grandkids.
It's a team sport after all and if you pass a ball and you later receive a brick it won't work, less if you he goes there with the idea of playing futbol in the beach with his kids.

It seems that he hurry up the "Cosmos Affair" (not a bad idea, not a new one also, but it could have been easily two years later) clearly he wants to be with his family more time in his house in Miyami, I'm pretty sure that for instance the real Inter would have love to have him but at this instance of his career I have no doubt Antonella must be fed up with the whole "Messi" thing, I just think that they should have considered the toxic Press in America in general can be even worse than in Europe and the team was chosen because of Becks going after him since a decade now hahaha.
In any case if some shitty scenario happens he will leave sooner and call it a day, but the whole Barca exit how it was managed clearly affected the whole Messi Clan.

PD: Just a thought, but why not just a Messi in the title, instead of changing it depending the club, at this stage if he stays in Miami, or if he leaves to any other place tomorrow, it's already the later stages in his carreer, the forum also can call it a day and just keep one single Messi thread without any extra in the title and follow his later years and even after his final retirement.

Last edited: