Messi in Miami

That Barca statement is so incredible small time, hilarious stuff.
Definitely the goat for giving them the middle finger as well as deciding against Saudi Arabia.

Of course he lives in a bubble. He is Messi. Everyone knows him. And he always has an entourage with him, and they all speak Spanish to him.

I've heard they sometimes serenade him to a beautiful old Guatemalan love song.

Cuando limpiado mi cuarto
No encuentro nada
Adonde va con tanta prisa?
Al partido de fútbol

I was going to stop watching after realising how long the video is - but my god I’ll miss watching him regularly.

It’ll give me a reason to keep an eye on the MLS I suppose.
What an absolute joy to watch.

The MLS and whatever the league was named before the MLS have seen the most amazing football stars play in the league. From the top of my head: George Best, Johan Cruyff, Pele, Beckenbauer, Muller, Messi, Beckham, Stoichkov, Andy Cole, Mattheus, Nesta, Chiellini, Higuain, Valderrame, Gerrard, Lampard, Schweinteiger, Villa, Drogba, Pirlo, Kaka, Bale, Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Henry and probably many more of way before my time.

Shock horror, a Scouse employee rates Messi over a former Man United player!
That is not the shock horror part of it really. The truly shocking part is he needed some advanced scientific data to make that statement when actually watching them play over the last 16 years would have led to the same conclusion.

TBH I suspect most folks down there will have no idea who he is, football in FL means the Glazer's and the Buccs, baseball is the real big sport

Because of the FIFA video game and the rise of the PL it's going to be very difficult to not know who he is especially in a city like Miami. Maybe if he was in the Florida panhandle.

Gives me a reason to watch the MLS. Barcelona don’t deserve him purely on the way they have ran the club in recent years.

Messi even stepped in to say no as he didn’t feel right about taking money off others in the squad.

It’s absolutely reckless the spending Barcelona are prepared to do each and every summer.

Neymar should go to Miami too. A few more seasons with Messi. I’d love to see that.

Neymar has little to prove despite his detractors. Stay away from injuries and enjoy his football at a slower pace would be my advice.

Last edited:
Also Messi will be 36 in a few weeks. Ronaldo wins the longevity contest by still being a decent poacher at 37. Who cares tbh. Messi was a better young player than Ronaldo and hit his prime earlier.
Messi always have been and always will be a better player then Ronaldo. No disrespect to Ronaldo who was a machine but Messi is a football genius.
There is no contest. No stats will tell me otherwise.

I am an United supporter and I rate Messi much higher then Ronaldo. No disrespect to Ronaldo. Messi is a football genius.

That is not the shock horror part of it really. The truly shocking part is he needed some advanced scientific data to make that statement when actually watching them play over the last 16 years would have led to the same conclusion.
Errrrm nope, have you ever been in the Messi/Ronaldo GOAT thread

Can he speak English? Thinking on, I don't think I've ever actually heard him speak.

A little bit yeah.

Miami is Latino speaking mostly anyway. He won't need to be able to speak that much.

I have no dog in the fight and admire both legends of the game, but I wonder if those who mocked Ronaldo for going to Saudi at 38 will do the same about Messi, going to America at 35. By comparison, when Ronaldo was 35, he finished the Serie A season with 31 goals in 33, winning the title. A year later he finished the season with 36 in all competitions and a year later again, he finished United's top scorer.

If people insist on comparing the 2, where longevity is concerned both have been incredible, but its a metric Ronaldo shades.

He'll be 36 in a matter of weeks, he'll be 36 going to America.

Ronaldo at 36 seemed like he still had something to offer, and he did end up being our top goal scorer but arguably made us worse.
Messi at 36 also seems like he still has something to offer but it looks like he wants to call it day while he's still sort of on top.

The honeymoon period has just started and seeing him live for the next couple of season should be fun for those who go watch him.

But Miami is a bad football club and this will be the worst set of teammates he'll play with, even if a few of his pals saddle up next to him.

I think the best foreign player at MLS besides Becks is Giovnico for Toronto FC. If Messi is to create further interest in MLS, he's gonna have to win and it is zero guarantee because the salary restrictions of MLS. But knowing the MLS, they are certainly making up the rules as they go to guarantee this is a commercial success. He'll have to play in the heat of American Summer and it might be okay for him due to his lack of intensity compared to others.

Just a temporary boost towards MLS attention that falls in line with Women's World Cup and the first tri-nation Men's World Cup in the U.S.. It's great to have him play in MLS, but I'm not bother watching him, as I've seen him many times on the television during his rise to GOAT status, plus seeing him a few times in person in much better squads like Argentina and Barca.

Errrrm nope, have you ever been in the Messi/Ronaldo GOAT thread
This is a Man United forum and despite all his shenanigans, Ronaldo is still loved by Man United fans many of who are biased in their opinion. Same would be true for Real Madrid fans. My whole family support United and all of them defend Ronaldo to this day. I am the exception. Most Real fans I know are also unwavering in their support. Most neutrals say Ronaldo's one of the greats but Messi is better.

But, for the unbiased eye (I am United through and through, no support for any of the clubs Messi played for or for Argentina. And I have no special dislike for Real or Juve) there is absolutely no doubt the Messi has always been the much better allround footballer. Ronaldo has been an incredible goalscorer but the rest of his game really really pales in comparison. It's similar to the Henry vs RVN debate (but at a higher level); when RVN played here, we all claimed he was better because of whatever reasons, but unquestionably Henry was the better footballer.

If you were to compare them: Messi has always been the far better dribbler and playmaker. Both are great goalscorers (amongst the best ever) but Messi has more great goals than Ronaldo, more free kicks, more goals from outside the area and more solo goals. Ronaldo has more headed goals, more poached goals, more ultralong range goals, more penalties and more one touch goals.

Infact, if Ronaldo did not have longevity, he wouldn't be in the goat discussion but Messi's peak years were at such a high level that he'd still be considered one of the greatest even without longevity.

Than there is the small issue of the world cup. No goals or assists in the knock out of 5 additions of the tournament surely is an embarrassing stat to defend even for his most ardent fans. Meanwhile, Messi just had an iconic tournament and like it or not is now part of the history of football's most prestigious and historic tournament by far. Maybe it doesn't damage Ronaldo alot given his body of work but it surely immortalised Messi's legacy.

This is a Man United forum and despite all his shenanigans, Ronaldo is still loved by Man United fans many of who are biased in their opinion. Same would be true for Real Madrid fans. My whole family support United and all of them defend Ronaldo to this day. I am the exception. Most Real fans I know are also unwavering in their support. Most neutrals say Ronaldo's one of the greats but Messi is better.

But, for the unbiased eye (I am United through and through, no support for any of the clubs Messi played for or for Argentina. And I have no special dislike for Real or Juve) there is absolutely no doubt the Messi has always been the much better allround footballer. Ronaldo has been an incredible goalscorer but the rest of his game really really pales in comparison. It's similar to the Henry vs RVN debate (but at a higher level); when RVN played here, we all claimed he was better because of whatever reasons, but unquestionably Henry was the better footballer.

If you were to compare them: Messi has always been the far better dribbler and playmaker. Both are great goalscorers (amongst the best ever) but Messi has more great goals than Ronaldo, more free kicks, more goals from outside the area and more solo goals. Ronaldo has more headed goals, more poached goals, more ultralong range goals, more penalties and more one touch goals.

Infact, if Ronaldo did not have longevity, he wouldn't be in the goat discussion but Messi's peak years were at such a high level that he'd still be considered one of the greatest even without longevity.

Than there is the small issue of the world cup. No goals or assists in the knock out of 5 additions of the tournament surely is an embarrassing stat to defend even for his most ardent fans. Meanwhile, Messi just had an iconic tournament and like it or not is now part of the history of football's most prestigious and historic tournament by far. Maybe it doesn't damage Ronaldo alot given his body of work but it surely immortalised Messi's legacy.
I don't go for all this GOAT stuff, IMO is all BS, in 20 years time there'll be the same debate with 2 other players, both are great players end of!

Can we not have this thread also dissolve into Messi vs Ronaldo. Ronaldo fans go to the Saudi thread.

An abrupt end to perhaps the most glorious European club career ever and it does sting knowing I'll never get to enjoy seeing him play in another big European night but alas all great things come to an end and he does seem to have taken it upon himself to do it according to his own volition unlike a certain someone (i know it bot his thread but couldn't resist the cheap shot) so that's not to bad and besides the guy basically completed football this past fall.

Well the silver lining is we'll at least get to see him play for a few more years even if it's basically in a semi retired capacity and even that should provide us with tons of highlight reels to savor and enjoy.

That Barca statement is so incredible small time, hilarious stuff.
Definitely the goat for giving them the middle finger as well as deciding against Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia already pays him millions as a tourism ambassador.

God forbid what you would say if you knew your greatest ever manager Fergie said about Messi. In just 2012, he was already calling him one of the biggest geniuses in history (alongside the likes of Cruyff). In 2018 (after Ronnie's Euro), he called Messi the greatest in history. That was even before Messis copa and WC. Rio, Scholes, other former Ronnie's team mates, also calling Messi the greatest.
It's universal.

Barcelona's Garry Cook-esque "He's bottled it" statement is a real touch of class.

“The difference is that Messi is also a world-class attacking midfielder,” he said. “The chances he creates for his teammates are an order of magnitude greater than Ronaldo. Messi does two jobs brilliantly. Ronaldo does one job brilliantly. That’s the difference.”

Sounds pretty logical to me......

The MLS and whatever the league was named before the MLS have seen the most amazing football stars play in the league. From the top of my head: George Best, Johan Cruyff, Pele, Beckenbauer, Muller, Messi, Beckham, Stoichkov, Andy Cole, Mattheus, Nesta, Chiellini, Higuain, Valderrame, Gerrard, Lampard, Schweinteiger, Villa, Drogba, Pirlo, Kaka, Bale, Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Henry and probably many more of way before my time.

And Chinaglia, who was a top striker at the time. Legend.

Messi always have been and always will be a better player then Ronaldo. No disrespect to Ronaldo who was a machine but Messi is a football genius.
There is no contest. No stats will tell me otherwise.
Then together will always make my mouth water

He'll be 36 in a matter of weeks, he'll be 36 going to America.

Ronaldo at 36 seemed like he still had something to offer, and he did end up being our top goal scorer but arguably made us worse.
Messi at 36 also seems like he still has something to offer but it looks like he wants to call it day while he's still sort of on top.
I mean If you are going to count Messi as being 36 going to MLS, you also have to count Ronaldo as being 36 when he was top goalscorer in Serie A too (he played the season at age 35 to 36, around half each over there)

I mean If you are going to count Messi as being 36 going to MLS, you also have to count Ronaldo as being 36 when he was top goalscorer in Serie A too (he played the season at age 35 to 36, around half each over there)

Messi the last season for club and Country has 62 GA in 53 games, including a WC, WC best player, and one of the greatest individual WC performances of all time. Not even worth a comparison. Outside of goal involvement, he has been far superior to Cristiano at the same age.

Messi the last season for club and Country has 62 GA in 53 games, including a WC, WC best player, and one of the greatest individual WC performances of all time. Not even worth a comparison. Outside of goal involvement, he has been far superior to Cristiano at the same age.
Well I am simply pointing out his flaw logic on his age comparison there only, not meant to make any comparison on who is better player there.

They both are/were extremely good at 36. Their understanding of football is the god tier, they can be better than most even 10 years later.

God forbid what you would say if you knew your greatest ever manager Fergie said about Messi. In just 2012, he was already calling him one of the biggest geniuses in history (alongside the likes of Cruyff). In 2018 (after Ronnie's Euro), he called Messi the greatest in history. That was even before Messis copa and WC. Rio, Scholes, other former Ronnie's team mates, also calling Messi the greatest.
It's universal.

Gigggs and Rooney too. RVP.

Don't know if anyone posted this yet.

Guy said he really wanted to return to Barca but decided against when he heard some players must be sold or take a salary cut so they can afford him. Good man I think. And a good decision too it'd be so complicated and might turn really bad for everyone involved. Nostalgia rarely does any good.

It's universal.

Fergie had Messi up there with the greatest after the 2011 final not just Cryuff.