Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

Saying that though he still has a face I want to punch and was a useless prima donna when he was here. And for those reasons only I am glad we got rid.
Question sometimes is tho.. Why do prima donnas somehow work or get reigned in at Barça, Madrid, City etc and not so much here? We can't make him change his face though.

I am not trying to do an "I told you so".... but from the moment he put on a United shirt I said he isn't a winger (for United anyway) and needs to be played centrally to get anything out of him. He has a strikers instinct and a hell of a shot, just not the all round dribbling and tracking ability to play out wide.

Not surprised he is looking a good player when played through the middle.

Saying that though he still has a face I want to punch and was a useless prima donna when he was here. And for those reasons only I am glad we got rid.
You can say that when he goes to a more competent league and produces the goods on a constant basis but we already know what'll happen if he does move back to England or Spain.
He's being overhyped because of the stats in similar fashion as Lukaku is/was

He's a good striker, but I still think he lacks that extra bit of speed and extra special class to succeed in the Premier League, that he basically still has the same problem. A club like Manchester United should aim higher in any case. He could be that great striker just in the tier after that.

He's a good striker, but I still think he lacks that extra bit of speed and extra special class to succeed in the Premier League, that he basically still has the same problem. A club like Manchester United should aim higher in any case.

He’ll always lack that speed which is why a striker is perfect for him. He was never fast enough to be a flying winger.

Fair play to him. He might be a Sanzhez and Lukaku replacement one day.

He’ll always lack that speed which is why a striker is perfect for him. He was never fast enough to be a flying winger.

Fair play to him. He might be a Sanzhez and Lukaku replacement one day.

We'll see, I hope he does. But my current take is he isn't exactly Ruud, is he?

Unfortunately our 'system' requires a big lump up top. Thats one of the reasons why we were cursed with buying Lukaku because he was one of the few target men available. A striker can be a big bully but that shouldnt be the main attribute that makes United buy him. Depay is a solid player but he wont take us to the next level. We should offload Lukaku and buy Icardi and a RW. A CB, DM, RW and ST are all positions we need to improve and depay doesnt look like the guy who will transform us up top.

Question sometimes is tho.. Why do prima donnas somehow work or get reigned in at Barça, Madrid, City etc and not so much here? We can't make him change his face though.

Well he didn't sign for any of those teams and plays for Lyon so its a bit of moot point. He is only now starting to show that he could be a very decent striker for top side..... maybe. When he was here struggling on the wing he didn't even look a Premier League player.

Unfortunately our 'system' requires a big lump up top. Thats one of the reasons why we were cursed with buying Lukaku because he was one of the few target men available. A striker can be a big bully but that shouldnt be the main attribute that makes United buy him. Depay is a solid player but he wont take us to the next level. We should offload Lukaku and buy Icardi and a RW. A CB, DM, RW and ST are all positions we need to improve and Depay doesnt look like the guy who will transform us up top.

Lukaku one of the few target men available? Only problem is that Lukaku is anything but a target man. He's big but he couldn't shield the ball if his life depended on it...

I think current Depay is better than current Lukaku. He's equally strong, but has much more technical ability. Ofcourse he plays in the French league, but he produced against France, Germany and Belgium. It's just that he really needs confidence to play well.

Haven't seen the performance, but it's good to know he's playing well at striker. The one time he played there for us (under LVG, against Watford), he had a good game and scored, if I recall correctly. Don't think he featured centrally again after that.

Lukaku one of the few target men available? Only problem is that Lukaku is anything but a target man. He's big but he couldn't shield the ball if his life depended on it...
He is 6'3. Jose clearly wants him to be a target man because of how much he has bulked up. That doesnt happen by accident. Its true he is better as a striker running in behind. But even then teams hardly give United the space in behind. And even when running in behind he always loses control of the ball. If we do get a new manager in the summer I would gladly see Lukaku go and Depay come back. Need a shift to a technical team. That means Smalling Matic Lukaku and Rashford out the first team. Depay 100% has the personality to play for this club.

I am not trying to do an "I told you so".... but from the moment he put on a United shirt I said he isn't a winger (for United anyway) and needs to be played centrally to get anything out of him. He has a strikers instinct and a hell of a shot, just not the all round dribbling and tracking ability to play out wide.

Not surprised he is looking a good player when played through the middle.

When he first signed for us LVG was talking about using him centrally and thats where he started for us in preseason, behind the striker. Looks like he played there 1 time in the league that season. With some average performances LVG went away from it and away from him. When he was at United his shot was terrible which was mystifying as thats what stood out for PSV.

Martial, memphis & Rashford are all strikers.

Whilst Memphis was severely out of form - a LVG 3rd season or Giggs at the club was only every going to start with playing martial & Rashford in a strikers partnership.

Memphis would have easily had the chance to make the cut here & that didn't happen because our strikers got turned in to wingers by Jose & memphis became our 3rd or 4th left winger.

This target man thing is a complete waste of money & time - should only be used as a tactic if we went all out for Kane.

No regrets. We can just accept that he is a decent midtable player, but never good enough for the top clubs and also probably not stylistically suited for the premier league.

Though we are hardly a top club nowadays, I suppose.

You can say that when he goes to a more competent league and produces the goods on a constant basis but we already know what'll happen if he does move back to England or Spain.
He's being overhyped because of the stats in similar fashion as Lukaku is/was

You do, don't you?

Always been a good player....just like Zaha, he was another that we gave up on too soon. Never should have been sold. He should have been sent out on loan. And I'm not just saying this now, I said it then too...

He's doing a Mertens basically. Shifting from wide to central and they're like a completely new player.

I think the fact he was naturally always going to get bulkier, didn’t really have that elite level pace to consistently take people on out wide and lacked the discipline to stay on one side of the pitch or get back means he was always going to end up seeking a freeer role.

Think LVG played him up top once and he done very well and then that experiment was never seen again. Not sure if that is my memory playing tricks on me. Either way I wouldn’t mind him back here as a backup CF. We could mould him into how Arnautovic is being used.

I think the fact he was naturally always going to get bulkier, didn’t really have that elite level pace to consistently take people on out wide and lacked the discipline to stay on one side of the pitch or get back means he was always going to end up seeking a freeer role.

Think LVG played him up top once and he done very well and then that experiment was never seen again. Not sure if that is my memory playing tricks on me. Either way I wouldn’t mind him back here as a backup CF. We could mould him into how Arnautovic is being used.
He actually started up front for us. Eventually got shifted wide and they played Rooney upfront.

Let's be honest Memphis at that time was never going to make it, he looked a shadow of his former self. Now though he seems quicker and stronger again, can actually control a football properly.

I guess it's just the number 7 curse :nervous:

Depay under Klopp? :eek::drool: No links but I'd love him here as Firmino cover, or even replacement.

How many Ruud-type players have you seen in the last 10 years?

I'm not sure but that's not really the point, the striker doesn't need to be his exact type, but to be of this top tier quality level. Lukaku and Memphis will never play for Real or Barca because they aim higher, so why doesn't ManUtd?

He played him up front for a game when everyone else was injured. Mind you, we didn't have anyone else to play because LVG had already sold off most of our strikers and then complained that we "didn't have a 20 goal scorer on the team"

What is that style? Is he just wearing a children's kit!?!

Forget the skintight everything, even the socks are too small. And they aren't just rolled down , they genuinely look several sizes too small.

Just because our striker is awful doesn't mean we ahould bring anyone who is better. We could bring Crouch and he would be an improvement.

He wouldn't though would he, stop talking out of your arse. I like Rom and he's really low on confidence at the moment but I expect him to find the goals soon.

The way he is playing just now, I wonder how much longer he will be at Lyon, must be starting to attract attention from bigger clubs. Looks so full of confidence just now.

Unfortunately our 'system' requires a big lump up top. Thats one of the reasons why we were cursed with buying Lukaku because he was one of the few target men available. A striker can be a big bully but that shouldnt be the main attribute that makes United buy him. Depay is a solid player but he wont take us to the next level. We should offload Lukaku and buy Icardi and a RW. A CB, DM, RW and ST are all positions we need to improve and Depay doesnt look like the guy who will transform us up top.

Thing is Lukaku has never been a target man. He lacks the hold up play required. That’s why 3/4 of the Caf currently hate him, as he’s being wrongly used.
Personally seen nothing in Depays game that would point to him being a real top class player. Wish he’d gone to Liverpool way back when...

For those who wonder, Lyon's President, Jean Michel Aulas, confirmed during an interview that Man Utd had a buyback clause around 35M€.

For those who wonder, Lyon's President, Jean Michel Aulas, confirmed during an interview that Man Utd had a buyback clause around 35M€.
Well if that’s the case even if the club don’t fancy him as a player if he continues in this sort of form he’d be worth activating that clause and then selling as is probably worth more than that in today’s market.

Well if that’s the case even if the club don’t fancy him as a player if he continues in this sort of form he’d be worth activating that clause and then selling as is probably worth more than that in today’s market.

Probably yes. He still has ego and consistency issues though. I watch him play/interract every week and we can't really say that his behaviour improved much but yeah, you can still buy him and sell him directly.

Thing is Lukaku has never been a target man. He lacks the hold up play required. That’s why 3/4 of the Caf currently hate him, as he’s being wrongly used.
Personally seen nothing in Depays game that would point to him being a real top class player. Wish he’d gone to Liverpool way back when...
Even when he isnt used as a target man he isnt good enough. When he runs in behind he cant dribble and overruns is 9/10 times. Never good enough for United.

Can’t watch highlights of our successful teams and the players in them and think depay will fit here