View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was doing things on the pitch that most players can't. Not just with the insane skill he was pulling off to go past players but his passing, crossing, touch and finishing was on another level. If it's so easy to look THAT good why didn't we see any other United player do it? Why didn't Martial do it last week?
because he was on one. I've seen martial humiliate premiership level defenders so lets not even mention Martial in this thread please. Martial on the LW is different class to Memphis and we see it every other game he plays on the wing. Last week Martial was playing CF and he was isolated as we played a shit away performance vs a team that came at us so pretty bad comparison. This game they sat back and invite us. P.S. who were the other flair players on the pitch? academy players mostly. If Nani played vs this team he'dbe walking past them

One of, if not the best individual performance by a United player since Ronaldo. The right back will be having nightmares about that game for years!

Magnificent performance. I'm lost for words really and I don't really give a shit it wasn't against a strong team. He absolutely pissed all over Roemer and really drove us to victory. 10/10 performance without a doubt. Some of the skills were just....:eek:

I also don't give a shit about the Arsenal game right now. I just want to watch a compilation video from tonight :drool:

No doubt the onus is on him to prove himself at the highest level and he's still a long way off from doing that but there's a reason why he looked streets ahead of any player on the park today and that's because the kid does have bags of ability. The question for me is about application. I don't see any reason why if he works hard he can't adapt to a higher level when he's taking the piss (when confident) against a lower one when no one else is. But it's up to him to do that and establish himself. Otherwise it'll just be wasted talent.
Who is there to "buss tricks" on our weakened team anyway. Perhaps its because not many of our players are flairy piss takers. mata doesn't beat players, neither does Herrera, Schneiderlin, Lingaard is average. So that leaves that young lad who scored 2 as the other star of the show. Varela played well. Does this mean our young goal scorer is suddenly better than Martial since Martial did not score vs these lot?

When all is said and done, it serves me greatly if Memphis can be the real deal against Arsenal as I badly want us to beat them. I just don't want the feeling of despair that goes with getting your hopes up and realising you were just deluding yourself in a groundhog day scenario. If he has another stinker vs Arsenal, what am I gonna do? I will feel a certain acceptance that I don't wanna have.

You can raise questions about the opposition but that performance tonight was unreal. I've not seen a player light up Old Trafford like that in years. After going a goal down and with so many young players in the team I was worried that heads might drop... but he stood up and spurred us on.

Despite the quality of the opposition, his talent and potential is there for all to see. That boy has it in him to become world class.

I just hope the fans don't jump on him when he has the inevitable off days or things don't quite come off for him. He's only just turned 22 and he has a lot more to learn. Given patience and encouragement, I'd back him to go a long long way.

Delighted for the kid and delighted that he's shut up some idiots on here for 5 mins at least

That was a very special performance from him tonight, he has so much talent. He can be very frustrating to watch at times but if he gets his act together and plays like he did today then he will succeed here no doubt.

Good to see a player that is not afraid to show some skill.:drool: Fantastic performance, hopefully he can build on it.

You can see the all the potential. He's a fantastic young talent, next season I'm confident we will see a better player. He's really exciting on the ball at times and is a very capable player. Some of his criticism has been warranted and some has been harsh. His tracking back is a concern, and attitude has been questionable when it's not going well but he has talent. I really can see him and Martial in our long term plans, attacking wise. When we get Luke Shaw back next year, that will help memphis down the side. When Depay's confidence up he's formidable. He tore them a new one tonight on that side. Yes they are a poor side but there was so much pressure on United tonight, so many academy players playing is such a big game(they done magnificently by the way).

I think when Memphis gets's settled next year he will shut a few up in here. He's been made a scapegoat far to often this year. He's not a senior player and everybody doesn't settle as well as Martial. I think Jose could handle him perfectly.He's need to play without fear of getting subbed for giving the ball away. Players like Memphis flourish under freedom. I'm not getting carried away but you see glimpses of magic from him. I think he will be a phenomenal player for us in the future. When we get our squad sorted and properly balanced and a new coach, we will see Depay light up Old Trafford.

everything was going his way today. I was impressed how unselfish he was in the first half, tried not to lose the ball often in some situation where you'd think he would go to try to past defender but he stayed on the ball and played like a team player, not as much in the second half but he was even better when he tried to play a bit selfishly. Hope he has only this kind of games not the other ones.. standing ovation

Now that was the Memphis we bought, so pleased he got that goal at the end as if anyone deserved a goal tonight it was him.
Hopefully this is a huge confidence booster for him and he stars like that more often. Definitely Man Of The Match.

He needs time and games. Every player needs at least 1 season to bed in at a new club so we need to give him some time to adapt but today showed what he can do, granted it was against poor opposition but you have to perform against whats out on the pitch. Give the lad some time.

I've always rated him and thought he has the potential to be one of the best in the world (physique, pace, dribbling etc). I've always admitted his attitude isn't the best and he is lazy.

I do think all Depay haters need to back off or even better feck off because we all know he is an outstanding player who needs confidence from the team and the manager. Seeing so many posters now saying they are happy for him despite slating him for weeks is an absolute farce.

Seeing so many posters now saying they are happy for him despite slating him for weeks is an absolute farce.
I've been doubting him, but why wouldn't I be happy for him? He's just played a frankly ridiculous game for us. I'm made up for him. Now we just need to see it more often.

I mean that is a showcase that he clearly has talent, yes its a weak opponent but the fact is, if he wasn't on the pitch we would have lost. I can understand some people saying he needs to do that consistently but to see people actually still criticizing is baffling and actually one of the most embarrassing things ive ever seem. Your meant to be UTD fans, give the players some fecking credit!

I've been doubting him, but why wouldn't I be happy for him? He's just played a frankly ridiculous game for us. I'm made up for him. Now we just need to see it more often.
I don't know about you but I see Depay as a player who needs support to play at his best. He isn't as mentally strong as Ronaldo who couldn't care less about anyone's opinion. Depay has always been that player who needs shielding which van Gaal hasn't done whatsoever. Fergie would've managed him so so much better.

Fair enough we all love seeing United players do well and we are fully entitled to moan when they dont perform. With Depay though I personally didn't agree with all the grief he was getting because it was clear as day that he was being man managed terribly.

I am the complete opposite of surprised that he torn their right back a new arsehole tonight because I know he is capable of it.

Been awhile since I've seen a full back so utterly destroyed in a game. Brutal for Rømer. Let's hope Memphis kicks on after this. I like when he both cuts in and goes to the byline; so much more dangerous.

He clearly has talent. My only concern is that perhaps the athleticism of the PL is what is derailing him in the PL. Think whatever you want about other leagues, but the PL tends to have more athletic guys, and a lot of Memphis' game is based on physicality. Beating guys on quick turns with his first step. In the PL he is running into guys that are that much quicker than the likes of the European clubs he has excelled against so far.

He still needs to prove that he can do this in the PL. Hopefully he is a confidence player, and with confidence he will start to blossom into the talent that he obviously has.

Brilliant game from him. He looked a completely different player tonight. Sure he had a lot more space than he would get in a PL game but he sparked into life tonight it was great to watch. I think that's what a lot of people including myself have been waiting to see.

absolutely killed it today. this was the memphis I expected when we signed him, now please show this more often.

I'll wait until he does it against some decent opposition before getting too excited.

Some were claiming he was something rubbish. It was always clear he's a fantastic talent. Just needed confidence. Easily the best player for us tonight. And he looks in better shape too.

His speed on the ball is mediocre at the moment. Too often we've seen him beat his marker on the first touch only to get caught up and muscled off the ball later.

If he can improve on that I'm convinced he'll become one of the best.

Wonder if he could adapt his game to play more likely Ribery. I just fear he doesn't have the acceleration to be a great winger. Clearly has all the skill in the world, but having beaten a man, if they can catch up again in a few steps it's kind of pointless. Will be a real challenge against presumably Gibbs on Sunday - who is rapid.

One does wonder if he just went out there and had fun tonight. That's the most take-ons I can remember in a United match, certainly in the past 5 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.