View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if he could adapt his game to play more likely Ribery. I just fear he doesn't have the acceleration to be a great winger. Clearly has all the skill in the world, but having beaten a man, if they can catch up again in a few steps it's kind of pointless. Will be a real challenge against presumably Gibbs on Sunday - who is rapid.

One does wonder if he just went out there and had fun tonight. That's the most take-ons I can remember in a United match, certainly in the past 5 seasons.

He'll be up against Bellerin who is probably the quickest player in the league with Walcott, interesting to see how he does..

Bellerin's lightning, and also a generally excellent fullback. There aren't many harder opponents for a LW in the league at the moment. He'll have to muck in and do some defending too, Bellerin's one of their most reliable attacking outlets and too fast for any fullback in our squad bar Shaw to deal with on his own.

I'm hopeful that this was the pivotal first season moment he has been waiting for, and that he kicks on from here.

Edit: not expecting miracles on Sunday, mind, but a general improvement of his game in the season run-in would be very very welcome.

Absolute monster today! Whatever you are doing Memphis continue please! Really hoping to see him, Martial and Lingard running wild and horny this weekend!

The last time he had a good game, he was dropped for the following match and didn't start again for weeks. Ruined his confidence and put him back to square one again. If nothing else, all the injuries should prevent that from happening again.

He's up against two quick fullbacks at the weekend, but with the naive silliness we often see employed by Arsenal fullbacks in attacking, he will have chances. If we can get him one on one with Per a couple of times he'll turn him inside out.

Bellerin will neutralize him easily I am afraid.

Probably, but then again if Memphis is open to going to left and not just his right he Bellerin may have a hard time coping with him.

He suffers from the same problem which plagues any young player with potential. They don't know how to pace themselves over the course of 90 mins. They try too hard and most times are eager to overachieve. To add to that, Lvg overworked him early in the season which only messed with his confidence even more. Hopefully he is smart enough and will show signs of maturity soon.

Was great from the start - finished with a goal. Brilliant game from him, destroyed their team and looked ever so confident - meaning his casual tricks and skills all came off.

Delighted that 2 of the most criticized players recently (Memphis and Schneiderlin) both had brilliant games. They've played worse opposition and haven't stood out - todays side knocked out Southampton, and being 3-1 on aggregate at one stage, they kept fighting and showed that they are a class above.

He is back. Hopefully we will have another minnow team to play soon so that he can be played.

There really is a lot of people with 0 knowledge posting here eh? FC Midtjylland is a League 1 or 2 level opposition? They beat Southampton over 2 legs FFS. Not every team outside of the big leagues are complete shit.

because he was on one. I've seen martial humiliate premiership level defenders so lets not even mention Martial in this thread please. Martial on the LW is different class to Memphis and we see it every other game he plays on the wing. Last week Martial was playing CF and he was isolated as we played a shit away performance vs a team that came at us so pretty bad comparison. This game they sat back and invite us. P.S. who were the other flair players on the pitch? academy players mostly. If Nani played vs this team he'dbe walking past them
You've missed the point entirely, no one is saying he's better than Martial are they? What's being said is you can't discredit his performance becasue it was against shit opposition when no other player was able to get close to that level fo performance in over 3 hours of football. Why does it have to be a 'flair player', are non flair players unable to dominate games?

There really is a lot of people with 0 knowledge posting here eh? FC Midtjylland is a League 1 or 2 level opposition? They beat Southampton over 2 legs FFS. Not every team outside of the big leagues are complete shit.
Yeah they were quite good at times in this tie. Although we moan about our defending, the skill by that sisto chap for their goal was class, and their football in the first leg was very good.

Does anyone have a compilation of his career ending massacre on that midgtyland right back? I haven't seen a single player get so humiliated on a professional level in a long time

Context matters though. Midtjylland didn't play official games for three months before last week whereas they were in top form vs Soton.

People seem to forget that Memphis was outstanding in the home game vs Brugge as well and then shit against serious opposition. Unfortunately, I expect the same to happen again. He has the talent to destroy shit teams but struggles against good ones big time.

Something happened last night, there was a sudden response from our players-something we haven't seen at all this season. I don't think it's coincidence he played well last night as he was linking up with different hungry young talented players with a will to impress and do well and we all know the potential that Memphis has, it was just so fustrating we weren't yet seeing it. I'm hoping we see a similar team against the Arse on Sunday. 10/10 performance in my opinion.

Something happened last night, there was a sudden response from our players-something we haven't seen at all this season. I don't think it's coincidence he played well last night as he was linking up with different hungry young talented players with a will to impress and do well and we all know the potential that Memphis has, it was just so fustrating we weren't yet seeing it. I'm hoping we see a similar team against the Arse on Sunday. 10/10 performance in my opinion.
They were obviously horny yesterday.

I didn't see the game, have just seen the highlights but.....wow....great performance. I think he has benefited greatly from not having Rooney or Martial in the team. I think he likes the thought of being the star man so without those two it allowed him to shine.

He also looked a yard quicker than he has at other times this season. Maybe fitness has been an issue. Some of those tricks were :drool:. The video also looks like a season compilation. The highlights reminded me of watching Ronaldinho

In truth, what probably happened yesterday was we played a crap team who've barely played a game for months. They were probably worse than Brugge which takes some doing.

What the!? Who the?! How the!? :eek:

I've been critical of Memphis thus far, and feared the worst for his United career, but I'm glad to be eating my own words. He was unplayable last night!

Reminded me of Ronaldo's debut against Bolton a little bit, in the sense that it was one of those "just give him the ball" performances. Their poor right-back didn't know if he was coming or going, and the fact that they resorted to elbows, blatant pulls and bad tackles goes to show how much he ruffled their feathers.

This kid needed a springboard, and boy did he just get one. A couple more games like that and he could be well on the way.

He's starting to learn that he can't just keep cutting in as he has become predictable, was good to see him go around the full back. Probably the best individual performance this season from any of our attackers.

In truth, what probably happened yesterday was we played a crap team who've barely played a game for months. They were probably worse than Brugge which takes some doing.

Absolutely. Well done for the win, and terrific story about Marcus Rashford, but flippin' eck. We beat FC Midtjylland at home for crying out loud.

Arsenal will be an interesting game, and for some strange (but rather beautiful reason which has no basis and v little rationale..) I think we're going to do ok there. How funny would that be...

He's been generally poor since arriving but some of the stick he has gotten on here is a tad OTT. To make things worse, plenty on here have used the likes of Lingard as a stick to beat him with. I don't understand that at all; Depay has struggled but then people go into the Lingard thread and say things like 'oh lol Lingard is great, look how shit Depay is' - I never understand that type of thing on here. It was like last season when everyone used to absolutely tear into RvP, Rooney and Falcao and use the whole 'oh Welbeck is amazing, look how shit our current strikers are' argument- this was instead of just trying to support the players that we had. Supporting youth products is all well and good but I feel other players get a-lot of, sometimes unwarranted critisism because of this. Rant over, but I just don't get it at all.

Anyhow, Depay was absolutely brilliant last night. The opposition were equally as shocking but still, I hope that he can push on from this.

Look forward to Sunday now. Bellerin will be a big test for him. But all the raw materials are there. Maybe working with Giggs one to one is also helping. Who better to learn from, if you're a left winger, than one of the best ever.

ps I believe he broke the Europe League record last night for most successful dribbles in a game. 15.

He was immense last night, and I think a lot of that came from confidence. He started well against their rightback, and thought "I can beat this guy."

I liked his attitude as well, wanting to take corners quickly, encouraging his teammates. After seeing him strolling around in a few games, it was nice to see.

Happy for Memphis, I think he will have a good game against the Gunners too FWIW.

You've missed the point entirely, no one is saying he's better than Martial are they? What's being said is you can't discredit his performance becasue it was against shit opposition when no other player was able to get close to that level fo performance in over 3 hours of football. Why does it have to be a 'flair player', are non flair players unable to dominate games?
Because Flair players or wide players tend to steal the show maybe, especially if up against a defender they clearly got the beating of. Anyways, I am not discrediting his performance. It was a 10/10 performance no doubt about it. You said initially that anyone questioning his talent are ridiculous and it is all confidence with him. Now that is not strictly true as with all players. Your talent is as good as the level it shows or works at. Memphis has made it as a professional footballer who plays on the wing. Just like 100's before him, he must've had a level of skill and talent to make it pro. My doubt is whether he has the talent for the top level of the game which he has yet to show me. When I played semi professionally as a teen, I looked very talented playing against grown men amateur sides who we would beat 7-0. Playing with other semi pros of my age and lets just say it weren't so obvious. As Memphis says, playing with lower opposition you can do whatever you want. If Memphis played with us in a kick-about he would look like Rivaldo. Playing against better defenders you can't do this. It's what separates the real from the pretenders. The pros from the professional showboaters. and so on and so on. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong and demolishes Bellarin. With Martial out, Memphis is our Obi-Wan "our only hope"

Finally looked like an accomplished winger. People will probably infer that it's down to the lack of a quality opponent, however he looked determined and full of tricks and it can only serve to boost his confidence.

Pleased for him. The opponents had some good moments and some nice quality but couldn't handle the pace or intensity. We are not a poor team when we stop worrying and play our game. The problems have been when there is a lack of energy in the team and that makes it harder for the likes of Depay, who seem to thrive on tempo. Promising performance.

I think it was a 8/10 performance. He made a lot of mistakes, put a few poor crosses and shots in, dwelled a bit too much after getting past his man a few times. Defenitely MotM and a very enjoyable performance though, because he made so much happen. And he showed his talent to those who don't have a good eye for it. I liked the cocky stuff also, not because he's at a point in his careeer or was at a point in the match to show off, but because he found himsef and will find himself a lot in static situations. He has to be a threat from standing still with the ball at his feet, with the possession game and everybody high up the pitch he can't always have a running start or take the ball away from the defender with his first touch.

He took a lot of risks, and when it didn't work out, he just tried again and cut the mourning short. It was more about determination than confidence, the confidence grew on him during the second half. The moment I like best was the turn and the blind cross to Mata's toe, that's what he should do more often, just put it in the spot where a teammate should be, don't take the time to aim carefully because in the PL he isn't given that time.

I think it was a 8/10 performance. He made a lot of mistakes, put a few poor crosses and shots in, dwelled a bit too much after getting past his man a few times. Defenitely MotM and a very enjoyable performance though, because he made so much happen. And he showed his talent to those who don't have a good eye for it. I liked the cocky stuff also, not because he's at a point in his careeer or was at a point in the match to show off, but because he found himsef and will find himself a lot in static situations. He has to be a threat from standing still with the ball at his feet, with the possession game and everybody high up the pitch he can't always have a running start or take the ball away from the defender with his first touch.

He took a lot of risks, and when it didn't work out, he just tried again and cut the mourning short. It was more about determination than confidence, the confidence grew on him during the second half. The moment I like best was the turn and the blind cross to Mata's toe, that's what he should do more often, just put it in the spot where a teammate should be, don't take the time to aim carefully because in the PL he isn't given that time.
How can you have such terribly low standards for van Gaal and then spout this shite?

It was the best attacking performance of any player this season. 8/10? Pu-lease.

If he plays like this against Arsenal and Martial has a good game we'll win, it's what we've been waiting for all season; those two to be in form at the same time, if he does stay like this it could be extremely exciting!

He's been generally poor since arriving but some of the stick he has gotten on here is a tad OTT. To make things worse, plenty on here have used the likes of Lingard as a stick to beat him with. I don't understand that at all; Depay has struggled but then people go into the Lingard thread and say things like 'oh lol Lingard is great, look how shit Depay is' - I never understand that type of thing on here. It was like last season when everyone used to absolutely tear into RvP, Rooney and Falcao and use the whole 'oh Welbeck is amazing, look how shit our current strikers are' argument- this was instead of just trying to support the players that we had. Supporting youth products is all well and good but I feel other players get a-lot of, sometimes unwarranted critisism because of this. Rant over, but I just don't get it at all.

Anyhow, Depay was absolutely brilliant last night. The opposition were equally as shocking but still, I hope that he can push on from this.
He's starting to learn that he can't just keep cutting in as he has become predictable, was good to see him go around the full back. Probably the best individual performance this season from any of our attackers.

Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha..... this is incredible. The best performance by an attacking player this season. Ha ha ha..... look how far we have fallen.

We played FC bleedin' Midtjylland!!! This is his best performance since...... coming on as a sub against SHEFFIELD UNITED... and of course his great games against CLUB BRUGES...

Ha ha ha....

Bellerin's lightning, and also a generally excellent fullback. There aren't many harder opponents for a LW in the league at the moment. He'll have to muck in and do some defending too, Bellerin's one of their most reliable attacking outlets and too fast for any fullback in our squad bar Shaw to deal with on his own.
He's very defensively suspect but his pace hides a lot of that but I agree he's a massive challenge, maybe we'd be better off sticking Martial there as Memphis having a bad game against Bellerin could knock his confidence back to square one.

Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha..... this is incredible. The best performance by an attacking player this season. Ha ha ha..... look how far we have fallen.

We played FC bleedin' Midtjylland!!! This is his best performance since...... coming on as a sub against SHEFFIELD UNITED... and of course his great games against CLUB BRUGES...

Ha ha ha....
Be honest, you didn't even watch the game did you?

Ha ha ha....
A newbie-level post, if I ever saw one.

Ha ha ha....
What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.