View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was immense last night, and I think a lot of that came from confidence. He started well against their rightback, and thought "I can beat this guy."

I liked his attitude as well, wanting to take corners quickly, encouraging his teammates. After seeing him strolling around in a few games, it was nice to see.

Yeah that was good. He stood up last night and looked determined to became the main man in the absence of first teamers like Rooney and Martial.

Pleased for him. The opponents had some good moments and some nice quality but couldn't handle the pace or intensity. We are not a poor team when we stop worrying and play our game. The problems have been when there is a lack of energy in the team and that makes it harder for the likes of Depay, who seem to thrive on tempo. Promising performance.

In some weird way the inexperience of our team actually seemed to help us. After we went 1-0 down the team just switched up a gear and went all out trying to overturn the deficit and got rewarded for it. Seeing a Manchester United squad play with some fire and urgency for a change was a very welcome sight for me.

How can you have such terribly low standards for van Gaal and then spout this shite?
Me, low standards?

It was the best attacking performance of any player this season. 8/10? Pu-lease.
I'm afraid those are not mutually exclusive. It was very enjoyable, sparkling and decisive, but it wasn't like he didn't put a foot wrong. Enjoyable and good are not exactly the same.

Because Flair players or wide players tend to steal the show maybe, especially if up against a defender they clearly got the beating of. Anyways, I am not discrediting his performance. It was a 10/10 performance no doubt about it. You said initially that anyone questioning his talent are ridiculous and it is all confidence with him. Now that is not strictly true as with all players. Your talent is as good as the level it shows or works at. Memphis has made it as a professional footballer who plays on the wing. Just like 100's before him, he must've had a level of skill and talent to make it pro. My doubt is whether he has the talent for the top level of the game which he has yet to show me. When I played semi professionally as a teen, I looked very talented playing against grown men amateur sides who we would beat 7-0. Playing with other semi pros of my age and lets just say it weren't so obvious. As Memphis says, playing with lower opposition you can do whatever you want. If Memphis played with us in a kick-about he would look like Rivaldo. Playing against better defenders you can't do this. It's what separates the real from the pretenders. The pros from the professional showboaters. and so on and so on. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong and demolishes Bellarin. With Martial out, Memphis is our Obi-Wan "our only hope"
There's a difference between being talented and performing on a weekly basis. Ravel Morrison is supremely talented, far more talented than say James Milner, but it's looking increasingly likely JM will have a far better career than Ravel. Things like work ethic and confidence contribute as much to your performance as talent does. I beleive it's abundantly obvious Memphis has the technique, skillset and physique to be a top-drawer player, hes just suffering mentally at the moment. It's whether he can play under such pressure and find consistency and retain confidence even when the going gets tough that'll decides if he reaches his potential or not.

Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha..... this is incredible. The best performance by an attacking player this season. Ha ha ha..... look how far we have fallen.

We played FC bleedin' Midtjylland!!! This is his best performance since...... coming on as a sub against SHEFFIELD UNITED... and of course his great games against CLUB BRUGES...

Ha ha ha....

Why do I have the displeasure of being quoted in this abomination of a post?

There's a difference between being talented and performing on a weekly basis. Ravel Morrison is supremely talented, far more talented than say James Milner, but it's looking increasingly likely JM will have a far better career than Ravel. Things like work ethic and confidence contribute as much to your performance as talent does. I beleive it's abundantly obvious Memphis has the technique, skillset and physique to be a top-drawer player, hes just suffering mentally at the moment. It's whether he can play under such pressure and find consistency and retain confidence even when the going gets tough that'll decides if he reaches his potential or not.

Very true. As I've been saying, he's able to show that he's got plenty of talent against lesser teams when he's got more time on the ball and arguably less pressure to perform. Now, we need to hope that he gains enough confidence from those performances to go on and start performing in the bigger games. It's still his first season though, and he's quite young. While he's struggled this season, I don't think he's had work ethic problems in the same way, say, Morrison has, who's had a lot of problems outside of football. Even if he doesn't kick on from this game specifically, Depay's still young and I've got a lot of hope that he'll really start to perform as he gains experience.

I hear what you are saying its just I expect any winger to have tricks in their locker. I guess its just my standards I guess and comparing those around. People say he has the talent to become world class etc etc but they won't say that about wingers who embarrass superior opposition. I have seen many African, Portuguese, South American Wingers who have pulled out all the tricks vs lower opposition. Matias Fernandez formerly of Villareal. Also Ricardo Quaresma. these guys mugged off players with insane skills. Better defenders than who depay performs against as the Superliga and La Liga is superior to eridivisie. They had the talent, probably superior talent than Depay, but I didn't feel the need to hype them until they stepped up to the plate and did it vs meaningful opposition (TBF Fernandez is pretty good). Point is I've seen many Depays come and go in my time and he doesn't stand out amongst them IMHO. Quaresma did some insane shiz. I'm sure anyone of Sterling, Bolasie, Zaha, LAMELA, Deulofeu, Lallana, Firmino, Ben Arfa, Mane, Shaquiri, Arnautovic, Sessegnon, Payet, NANI, would look World Class vs these lot under these circumstances (no football for 2 months); They are skillful players who are likely to show boat and take the piss out of their opposition. Show boating doesn't mean you are more talented. Jay Jay Okocha can look awesome against a side because he is doing things others could only dream of, but it doesn't mean he is a better player than say Stevie G or Lampard. (Okocha is however one of my favorite all time Premier league players).

Think LVG should consider playing him up top and Martial on the left against Arsenal.

Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha..... this is incredible. The best performance by an attacking player this season. Ha ha ha..... look how far we have fallen.

We played FC bleedin' Midtjylland!!! This is his best performance since...... coming on as a sub against SHEFFIELD UNITED... and of course his great games against CLUB BRUGES...

Ha ha ha....
I think its time for a 'root and branch' review of the newbie system
Why do I have the displeasure of being quoted in this abomination of a post?
:lol:

You get what the hoola was all about now!
I have been one of his biggest critics on here. I'm desperate for him to show this kind of invention against a decent side. Starting with Arsenal I hope.

Quotes from Romer (the RB that Depay humiliated) after the game:

"I have never been this close to crying after a match. I am devastated, and it's not going to be a good night of sleep."

"He is the best player I have ever faced. It is difficult to argue for anything else when he plays like this. He is the best. He can do anything. He will go inside, outside, turn me around and use his incredible pace to get past me."

"Obviously, I would have loved some more backup, but when I am the one being destroyed over and over, it is not fair to blame my teammates for anything."

"The second yellow card is a redundancy. Completely unnecessary. It will be a game I remember for a very long time."

:lol: Poor lad

Here's the full article (in Danish): http://www.bold.dk/fodbold/nyheder/rundtosset-roemer-var-taet-paa-at-graede/

Think LVG should consider playing him up top and Martial on the left against Arsenal.
I'm of the opinion of not fixing something, when it is not broken. Why move position, when he's just played the best game of his United career from the left?

If he can take this form into Sunday's game, well then we can truly say he's turned a corner. I'd love him to succeed here, I really would.

I'm of the opinion of not fixing something, when it is not broken. Why move position, when he's just played the best game of his United career from the left?
I understand but I'm still of the opinion Martial is the more superior player. He doesn't see enough of the ball when he plays up top IMO. Memphis best quality are the runs he makes.

So pleased he was able to step up Lady night albeit against poor opposition he needs confidence and I think he gained plenty of that with that performance. He created chance after chance and scored a goal, if he can replicate it in the prem I'll be very happy indeed.

Yes, Memphis has been absolutely tumescent till now and may continue to be even after last night. But, lets see the performance for what it was - absolutely devastating. There are times when a player can just be so horny, that it doesn't matter who they are up against. When Ashley Cole was still considered a top left back but, Valencia was also at the top of his game, he would just roast him even though he knew what was coming.

The other thing is last night we actually kept feeding him the ball and that just made him grow in confidence even more. The times he has played this season after a couple of failed moves, we've abandoned getting him the ball and to me that's one of our biggest mistakes, we don't keep getting the ball to our danger men - we've even done it to Martial.

Hopefully on Sunday we will see a lot of the same but, also as a team make sure we use him (and Martial if fit) as much as we can. We've got to work on find ways to make sure they get a chance to run at Arsenal.

I have been away for a couple of days and didn't catch the game. Outrageous piece of skill above though!

Still, by his own admission, he struggles with the pace and pressing in the Premier League. He has actually turned up against all the weak sides we have played this season so he needs to step up against a Premier league side. Sunday is a massive game for him. His confidence should be through the roof at least.

Depay was very horny yesterday, and hopefully that level of sexual appetite continues the rest of the season. We need guys like him to have raging boners running at defenders and wreaking havoc.

Look forward to Sunday now. Bellerin will be a big test for him. But all the raw materials are there. Maybe working with Giggs one to one is also helping. Who better to learn from, if you're a left winger, than one of the best ever.

ps I believe he broke the Europe League record last night for most successful dribbles in a game. 15.

That might just be the case indeed, crazy performance o.O
Enjoyed the highlights reel so much, I decided to rewind it and count his nutmegs during the game. 6 (or 5, if you don't count the one where that other player has the ball for half a second, but then Memphis takes it back) fecking nutmegs in one match.
The joke's been made before, but geez.. that lad was horny as feck yesterday. Really impressed me. A game to remember.

Really pleased for him. Even if he didn't do it against the big teams but didn't it to everyone else, we'd be top of the league and still in CL.....

Just watched that. Although their defence was pathetic I didn't think he was capable of playing that well against anyone or of that skill level. Some great crossing in there too.
He's capable of even better. He had many displays like this last year. Just the his bad transition to our league has jaded many towards him. Hopefully he'll kick on now.

He's capable of even better. He had many displays like this last year. Just the his bad transition to our league has jaded many towards him. Hopefully he'll kick on now.

That's the test though. He said in an interview that I posted earlier in the thread that he has struggled coming to terms with the pace and pressing of the PL. The key is time on the ball, in the Premier League you have less time to be effective on the ball. At the moment he has only been a flat track bully for United. He needs to step up and show some quality against a side that is strong and willing to press him and kick him.

That's the test though. He said in an interview that I posted earlier in the thread that he has struggled coming to terms with the pace and pressing of the PL. The key is time on the ball, in the Premier League you have less time to be effective on the ball. At the moment he has only been a flat track bully for United. He needs to step up and show some quality against a side that is strong and willing to press him and kick him.
I reckon it will only take one game for him. The Arsenal one may be too soon with all our injuries to the squad, bit as soon, he does it once then he will start to shine.

Times journalist Paul Hirst showing once again that you dont have to understand football to be a sports journalist. Gave Memphis a 2/5 rating for last night

Times journalist Paul Hirst showing once again that you dont have to understand football to be a sports journalist. Gave Memphis a 2/5 rating for last night

But Paul Hirst is excused, I heard he had some problems with his cognitive functions.

I missed the game yesterday, but just watched a highlight compilation. My word!! That was some performance - imagine if he can maintain anything close to that level; he and Martial would be devastating. With Mata in the hole and a new right winger, we'd have a pretty impressive attack there.

Status
Not open for further replies.