View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He really needs to kick on. He's new to the league, a big jump from PSV, but you have to wonder if he has improved at all. We can argue if its the team tactics or his role on the pitch, whatever is to blame for his poor form, however, his natural ability should shine through once in a while. Lets face it, he has not shown any at this level.

He just has to knock Lingard, who isn't any worldie, off the team for a start. There's no Euro for him to look forward to as a motivation as well. He's just going with the flow.

Funny, but Smalling was covering the hole he left on the right side.

Yes, attackers will leave holes, it's not something new, is it? Where were the midfielders in that case? He gave the ball away, fine. But I can't believe that we're blaming him for the goal, how about getting an offside trap right? How about staying with/behind Costa? Memphis did not do himself any favours but we had adequate time to regroup and we did not.

And before yesterday, he's done well in substitute appearances & many were calling for him to start ahead of Lingard (on twitter atleast).

I don't mind that he can lose the ball at times or make a wrong decision, he's young and it happens. However his lack of effort and willingness to work defensively is not on. He isn't Messi or Ronaldo, put in a defensive shift!

Just one more season lad. Just one more to show something. Else be ready to go to China for 75M

I though I'd wake up and find some positives about him to console myself.

Nope. He's still dogshit and needs to be sold this summer.

Last edited:

Nope. He's still dogsit and needs to be sold this summer.

Exact same feeling. Went to sleep absolutely disgusted with him. Got up, watch the video again and feel the same. I don't want him sold, but he needs to wake up and really play better.

Pass was disgusting - no idea how a professional can pass like that. The pisses me off is his lack of effort in tracking back. Very rarely do I agree with Henry but he was spot on. He loses the ball, he should be sprinting back and help out the defense - he just came on and there were only a few minutes left - there's no excuse. Instead he slowly jog and stood around defending no body. It simply isn't good enough.

The goal wasn't completely his fault, but it could have been avoided if it wasn't for him. 5v3 - you expect us to be 2-0 up. Blind tried intercepting but slipped. BJ played everyone onside (due to Blind stepping up) but tried to recover and almost did.... Memphis played a horrible pass and jogged back.

The lad is clearly struggling and finding it tough in this league, i blame LVG for throwing him on when we needed to close the game off.

Still think we should give him another season before completely writing him off.

Oh give over, bad pass but you can't blame him when he's been on for a minute
Is this a joke? You can't blame him for that pass because he was on the pitch as a sub for a couple of minutes? He didn't need to thread a needle with 10 opposition players in between. He needed to make a 5 yard pass to Morgan who was in acres of space.

I said it when he came on that he wouldn't track back and it would hurt us. I like him, and maybe he's just going through a rough patch, but he needs to wake up and realise he's playing for Manchester United.

I said I wanted him gone straight after the game but that was hasty. There is talent there but the attitude has to change. He won't last under Mourinho anyway if he doesn't change. Mou would have lost it completely if he was in charge yesterday.

I said I wanted him gone straight after the game but that was hasty. There is talent there but the attitude has to change. He won't last under Mourinho anyway if he doesn't change. Mou would have lost it completely if he was in charge yesterday.

Agreed. If Jose shipped can ship out Duff (and arguably Joe Cole) who contributed more offensively then Memphis, Then I would hazard a guess that Depay's days would be numbered unless he really knuckled down. This is all based on the gossip that Jose is actually taking over.

There's a video online showing he had three opportunities to recover the situation if he was willing to work. Instead he let Willian do his thing on here separate occasions. Carrick was even screaming at him to press.
Personally, I don't rate him. Worst case is I'm not seeing any redeeming quality. I'm not seeing anything to hold on to that he's going to be a great player for us.

It's as if LVG hadn't watched him at all this season before bringing him on... why did he/we expect anything else from him (Memphis that is)?

I think very few people picked up on this until Souness highlighted it in his post match analysis. I don't think it was as big an issue as the absence of the midfield and the combined step up from Blind and Non step up from Bojack!

laughing at those who say it isn't working out because of our system. The truth is his attitude stinks and it comes across when he's playing. What annoyed me wasn't the pass that a five year old could make it was his attitude after he cocked up. He wasn't remotely bothered and then decided to jog it back instead of trying to make up for his mistake.

This thread is something else and I only thought that he would be a good player at best.

I've seen little flashes that he has creative ideas in possession & a decent first touch & shot maybe but he doesn't seem lightning quick by any means & decision making & attitude are just utterly piss poor. Big NO atm, and I don't think he can turn it around, meself. Hasn't got enough, or one big asset which is a threat on its own, kinda thing. Might be wrong.

I think very few people picked up on this until Souness highlighted it in his post match analysis. I don't think it was as big an issue as the absence of the midfield and the combined step up from Blind and Non step up from Bojack!
Go back and look at the match thread.

Everybody was screaming at him being shit in the match thread and straight after his blunder.

Feel a bit sorry for him. I don't know why but he seems so down and out. His body language is so negative. I'd definitely give him another season because if he does turn it around he is capable of being one he'll of a player.

Feel a bit sorry for him. I don't know why but he seems so down and out. His body language is so negative. I'd definitely give him another season because if he does turn it around he is capable of being one he'll of a player.

Yeah I wouldn't right him off yet but he certainly needs to work harder. Maybe with a new manager in next season he can start from fresh.

I think he needs a new manager at this point.

Hopefully we can provide him with one.

It's as if LVG hadn't watched him at all this season before bringing him on... why did he/we expect anything else from him (Memphis that is)?

It is really weird that he doesn't give him minute against Derby and other shit opponents and yet he brings him when we are defending against Chelsea.

The europa league can't come quick enough for him. He needs real game time to build himself up again. It's really not helping him that he's always thrown in at the deep end when the shit's hit the fan.

That's an awful comparison. Messi's attacking contribution is so good that he can get away without tracking back.

Memphis meanwhile just contributes nothing and continues to look like a pub player out there.
His task was to counter! It's his role that makes that tracking back was not the main duty. Not his attacking contribution. Should he have had a football brain and pass to Schneiderlin or Mata in a 100% safe pass to make sure the ball is in the box against 1 defender and scoring a 2:0, he would have done exactly what he was asked to do.

nothing wrong with playing in the u21's. for some it's a great way to get confidence back, which is something he should hopefully be able to gain from it.

nothing wrong with playing in the u21's. for some it's a great way to get confidence back, which is something he should hopefully be able to gain from it.
Surprised he hasn't done it before. It could really help. As long as he isn't the sort to take it as an insult.

Nope. He's still dogshit and needs to be sold this summer.
Sell after one season at the age of 21 and his first season here in England? Don't exaggerate, yes he made a horrible mistake yesterday doesn't mean we should get rid of a promising 21 year old after just one season.

Still not sure what he's good at. I think he probably needs a run of games but we're in no position to give him that.

Status
Not open for further replies.