5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught up with the Chelsea game. Oh Memphis. :(

He did a back pass on a windy day at Stoke, with his head. The ball went 2 yards, when his pass was intended for at least 20 yards. Anything he does, good or bad, will not stop this haunting (but funny) sequence in my mind.

I think very few people picked up on this until Souness highlighted it in his post match analysis. I don't think it was as big an issue as the absence of the midfield and the combined step up from Blind and Non step up from Bojack!

are you for freaking real?

You think no one noticed that he horribly gave up possession with minutes left, and they went and scored almost immediately?

Is that what you think? That no one noticed that?

Cripes.

I think he's been a bit unlucky in that nearly all of his errors have been punished with us conceding. A lot of other players are making stupid mistakes and getting a way with it.

Memphis, Memphis, Memphis. What we going to do with you, pal? Unfortunately for him, and us, he's just not making the impact as a sub Van Gaal is looking for. I understand it's hard coming on in such a tough game and adjusting to the pace straight away, but the error he made was pretty basic. I mean, what do we do with him? We freeze him out and give others a chance i.e. Januzaj, Periera, or we continue to play him and hope he finds some form?

I honestly think, as some have suggested, we should try him as a striker. His best all round game come against Watford, in my opinion, when he was played up top. Ran the channels well, held it up, good link up play and scored a great goal. Either that, or we play him as a wide forward in a 433, where emphasis is on running in behind, rather than always getting it to feet, because to be honest, he's not great with the ball at his feet. He's shown signs of good dribbling, but it's been few and far between.

Memphis botched an opportunity to waste precious seconds and he should be condemned for his mistake and his subsequent "I couldn't give two shits" attitude after his mistake, but he wasn't responsible for the goal.

Going forward, I'm torn on what to do about Memphis. He needs matches, but we can't afford to keep giving him matches. Perhaps we should start him against Midget Land and Shrewsbury, which will hopefully give him renewed confidence. But even then I wouldn't start Memphis over Lingard for vital matches. Not for the rest of this season.

For all the crap he gets he was excellent for the 21s tonight, and clearly looked a class above, I still firmly believe he will come good if we give him time.

Bit raw in the first half but some nice moments and I think 2 or 3 assists so good night for him overall.

Also could have spat the dummy out but showed a good attitude tonight. The lad is talented but just hit a wall at moment and bet this is the first time that as happened in his young career

Confidence, he seemed a bit nervy even at the start of this one as the game progressed he became more relaxed and his performance improved.

He's looking leaner and more agile recently compared to before. He'll make it here, just needs time and not be crucified by everyone because he misplaced a pass in the 5 minutes he was on the pitch. I don't think the way van Gaal uses players and drops them for a long time before bringing them in uncomfortable situations is good for them either, just makes no sense. But hopefully he gets some changes to start in the coming weeks, like against Shrewsbury and Mydtjelland. Perfect chance for him and Pereira/januzaj to make an impact.

I think he's been a bit unlucky in that nearly all of his errors have been punished with us conceding. A lot of other players are making stupid mistakes and getting a way with it.

Aye it's unfair that we only really go in hard on the times when it does result in a goal, even if that loss of possession was about 10 yards away from the opponents' goal. It was stupid and somewhat typical of him though unfortunately.

But, is he really? Lets not forget that Kezman and Aves did very good in that league.

Since his transfer here, bar a couple of matches, he has looked anything but talented. Bebe has performed better than him.
If you check out his performances from last season, he looks very talented.He's short on confidence and has a bad attitude to boot. He has to sort those quickly. Or else he might be shown the door.

I'm with those who want to stay patient with him. You can see the class, but his lack of confidence is making him overthink almost everything. In the thread for the U-21s game against Norwich, look out for the gif of the rabona. He's trying everything, and when it comes off (as it seemed to for the most part in this game) he looks great. Also, his attitude has been criticized, but he seemed up for the Norwich match.

Who was it here recently who said, I'm not sure what exactly Memphis offers?:p On a more serious note you would expect him to do well against an U21 Norwich side, nevertheless he looked very good.

Completely ignoring today's performance, it's just stupid to write him off like people have done because of a 5-10 minute appearance. He's hardly getting any chances in the team, so one little mistake like that is getting blown out of proportion. People just need to stay patient with him and not get on his back for little shit. Hell, people couldn't wait to criticize him on here just because he's a more cocky person and enjoys more flashy things. Who gives a feck about all that, really?

Give him some proper game time, not in a style like we were doing earlier in the season when everyone looked awful, but when we actually play more attacking football like recently, and give him more then 5-10 minutes, and he'll play a lot better. Like Rooney and everyone else, he's just not suited at all to a possession side.

I think games like he seemed to have tonight, and his form in the Dutch league, shows that he's clearly capable of performing and looking like a very good, capable player when he's in a more dominant side against weaker opposition where he's probably got more freedom. Now, he's got to start improving at a higher level and feel more confident to express himself/play with freedom against better sides. He's still young though, and he's one of the players in our side I still have a lot of hope for when it comes to improving, despite how abject he's often been this season.

Completely ignoring today's performance, it's just stupid to write him off like people have done because of a 5-10 minute appearance. He's hardly getting any chances in the team, so one little mistake like that is getting blown out of proportion. People just need to stay patient with him and not get on his back for little shit. Hell, people couldn't wait to criticize him on here just because he's a more cocky person and enjoys more flashy things. Who gives a feck about all that, really?

Give him some proper game time, not in a style like we were doing earlier in the season when everyone looked awful, but when we actually play more attacking football like recently, and give him more then 5-10 minutes, and he'll play a lot better. Like Rooney and everyone else, he's just not suited at all to a possession side.

Ahead of who?

Plus seriously, could we stop pretending that 'people are blaming him for one mistake'? People are blaming him for what he's done after that fecking atrocious pass, which is being a lazy cnut that he's shown the whole season.

Last edited:
Ahead of who.

Plus seriously, could we stop pretending that 'people are blaming him for one mistake'? People are blaming him for what he's done after that fecking atrocious pass, which is being a lazy cnut that he's shown the whole season.
Blaming him for jogging back? He was the right winger, that goal defensively speaking wasn't remotely his fault. We had almost everyone back and when he came on his role was pretty clearly to stay high and try and counter like he tried to do that one time.

Also I'm not saying start him right away, but give him more sub appearances and start him in the cup games against the lower league opposition. Or in prior games when the likes of Fellaini and Lingard were being pretty useless in every game. It's not like our team is firing on all cylinders and it's a side where everything is working and you don't want to mess with it. It's improved compared to before, but it's still far from being good all around and can easily be improved upon.

Blaming him for jogging back? He was the right winger, that goal defensively speaking wasn't remotely his fault. We had almost everyone back and when he came on his role was pretty clearly to stay high and try and counter like he tried to do that one time.

Also I'm not saying start him right away, but give him more sub appearances and start him in the cup games against the lower league opposition. Or in prior games when the likes of Fellaini and Lingard were being pretty useless in every game. It's not like our team is firing on all cylinders and it's a side where everything is working and you don't want to mess with it. It's improved compared to before, but it's still far from being good all around and can easily be improved upon.

Yes, the jogging back given that he was on the pitch for whole five minutes is probably more annoying than inability to play a 5 yard pass. Who we've had behind is one thing, him starting it all is another and all the shit at the back wouldn't have happened at all if it wasn't for him. He's been jogging back (if at all) defensively whole season, it's been pointed out number of times here that he's giving absolutely no defensive contribution.

Given that Fellaini is playing a CDM role this season I can't see how he would get ahead of him, or where for that matter. Sure, the side can be improved upon, but does Depay bring any improvements to the side? At the moment it's pretty much contrary.

I'll pretty much repeat what I've said last time in this thread, since hopefully it's Jose at the helm next season, he either steps it up and fixes his lazy attitude or he'll be one of the very first to be shown the door.

Yes, the jogging back given that he was on the pitch for whole five minutes is probably more annoying than inability to play a 5 yard pass. Who we've had behind is one thing, him starting it all is another and all the shit at the back wouldn't have happened at all if it wasn't for him. He's been jogging back (if at all) defensively whole season, it's been pointed out number of times here that he's giving absolutely no defensive contribution.

Given that Fellaini is playing a CDM role this season I can't see how he would get ahead of him, or where for that matter. Sure, the side can be improved upon, but does Depay bring any improvements to the side? At the moment it's pretty much contrary.
He's worked hard plenty of times defensively as well, and he has tried to improve on that aspect compared to the first few months. He's just not very good at it. It's like when Nani would track back defensively... They do it, they just aren't very good at it and there's a fair chance of them fecking something up or not doing it properly, so it's more useful for them to be the ones waiting to counter attack.

As for Fellaini, I'm using him as an example. We used herrera as a 10 for many games in a row, even though he's more of a midfielder, and we've stuck with Lingard for a while despite him not doing much for a while (as all players do). Memphis had runs like that at the start of the season, but in recent months, has hardly had a look in, but in some of his recent sub appearances, has looked a lot better (like the Newcastle game where he made a big impact). But then subbing him on yesterday for 10 minutes when we've parked the bus and had 10% possession in the last 20 minutes is just stupid. It was asking for trouble and isn't going to help his confidence.

People are just too quick to write him off basically. He's a young player, who scored almost 30 goals as a winger last season, of course he has potential. He just needs time to adapt to the league and develop as a player with the higher expectations at a club like United. Also in an environment where the attack is actually functioning and not completely useless for most of the season, as that also won't help him.

Memphis has played a lot more than either Fellaini and Lingard in both the league and the CL. The idea that Lingard should be dropped after a few poor performances and Memphis should return and be rewarded for an entire season's worth of shit performances is mind boggling. And then you have people saying, the forum is biased towards the academy players...

In all the time I've watched United, I'm struggling to think of a single player who's played as much as Depay has despite being nothing short of complete garbage week in week out. Januzaj and Perrera must be double teaming LVG's daughter if they're struggling to get ahead of Memphis.

He's got something, it just needs a chance to develop. He's going to make mistakes, but now I've calmed down a bit there's no point blaming him for too long. We can't rely on him as a first teamer just yet, but I think he's shown enough promise to justify some faith.

Memphis has played a lot more than either Fellaini and Lingard in both the league and the CL. The idea that Lingard should be dropped after a few poor performances and Memphis should return and be rewarded for an entire season's worth of shit performances is mind boggling. And then you have people saying, the forum is biased towards the academy players...

In all the time I've watched United, I'm struggling to think of a single player who's played as much as Depay has despite being nothing short of complete garbage week in week out. Januzaj and Perrera must be double teaming LVG's daughter if they're struggling to get ahead of Memphis.
I think it's understandable. Memphis has more potential. I think we all can agree on that.

All these flicks show to me is a lack of maturity. I think Depay and Januzaj are both in the same boat, and the trajectory of their careers depends mostly on how much they want to improve and are willing to work for it.

Based on what?
Isn't it obvious? Lingard is a solid player. He was a good finisher for the u21s. He doesn't have much more in his locker. Now that's not a bad thing as he can still contribute and as he grows, he can continue to play for United. Memphis has more skill and has shown at first team level that he can finish better than Lingard. Right now his confidence is down and his decision making is a bit rocky. He's young. It can get better as he gets older.

Jesus, I didn't think this was controversial in the least bit. I'm surprised by the responses. It's not like Lingard has looked amazing while playing for the first team either. He's contributed nicely taken goals and assists, but he also needs to improve his all around game at first team level.

Isn't it obvious? Lingard is a solid player. He was a good finisher for the u21s. He doesn't have much more in his locker. Now that's not a bad thing as he can still contribute and as he grows, he can continue to play for United. Memphis has more skill and has shown at first team level that he can finish better than Lingard. Right now his confidence is down and his decision making is a bit rocky. He's young. It can get better as he gets older.

Jesus, I didn't think this was controversial in the least bit. I'm surprised by the responses.
I'd like Memphis to show that at the first team level in the PL before coming to the conclusion. PL is a different beast to the eridivise and it's showing atm. Even Memphis referred to the huge gulf between the standards of the RBs he's used to facing. I do agree about Lingard in that I don't think he'll become a permanent starter unless he gets better and adds to his game but at his age, it could very well happen.

I'd like Memphis to show that at the first team level in the PL before coming to the conclusion. PL is a different beast to the eridivise and it's showing atm. Even Memphis referred to the huge gulf between the standards of the RBs he's used to facing. I do agree about Lingard in that I don't think he'll become a permanent starter unless he gets better and adds to his game but at his age, it could very well happen.
The thing is, he showed more in the Eredivisie than Lingard showed for the u21s or when he was out on loan. Also, it's not like Lingard has completely dominated at first team level like Martial has or even to the level that Januzaj did under Moyes. He's not showing technique, vision, etc... on a level like Pereira or Januzaj that you can factor into this comparison. He's contributed goals and assists, but his overall game hasn't been impressive. He tracks back, offers some good movement at times, and pops up out of nowhere with a goal or an assist. It certainly doesn't show that Lingard now has more potential.

Hell, potential doesn't mean Lingard won't perform better than Memphis next year or the year after. All it means is that if Memphis does fulfill his potential, he'll be a better player than Lingard should he also fulfill his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.