View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plain to see a possession based system doesnt suit him at all.

This is my main gripe with LVG. Zero flexibility with tactics even though Rooney, Martial, Mata, Depay would all do much better in a counter attacking system.

That's exactly what they are. Is there a tangible point where we can question him? He's played for Van Gaal, he speaks enough of the language to play football. You're acting as if we've taken a farmer from Mongolia and asked him to perform open heart surgery. He's a wide player. It's part of the job description.
For me, I'd reassess him at the end of next season. We've made an investment on a young player, there's no sense in giving up on him at this point in time.
Having said that, I expect to see improvement from him between now and the end of the season, in terms of offering a more reliable threat, even if it doesn't always result in a goal or assist. The same way that Martial always looks threatening, even if nothing comes off for him. He's looked a lot more threatening in his last few appearances, where he's started to run at defenders from deeper positions as opposed to trying to take them on from a standing start, which he isn't good at (to be fair to him, only Martial seems to have that ability in our entire squad). He's also started taking the ball across the face of goal to draw defenders out, which was what led to Rooney's second goal against Newcastle. So there are some positives there.

No but to resort to personal insults about his ethnic background and his looks is pretty low. He's a Man Utd player so deserves support especially as he's a young lad in a new country, at a huge club. For those that can't see the talent just watch him last year and tell me he's not talented. Isn't it amazing that Di Maria, Mata, now Memphis are all worse players under LVG, now maybe I'm being bold here.... But maybe... Just maybe, Memphis, Rooney Di Maria, Mata playing like shit is down to the manager and not the players. If you want to believe that all these players wearnt top class under different managers then good on you, but it's clear denial to not accept LVGs role in their decline.
I had high expectations for Memphis when he arrived and he clearly hasn't lived up to that yet but there is no way you can Write him off yet without being a fool.

Well said.

I never understood the fuss about his clothes and cars. Does it really matter?

It is not about writing him off at all. We should only adjust our expectations and hope he can fulfill them.
We clearly need to adjust them so that it's not part of his job to create or defend apparently and we can only have nice, fluffy comments about him until either the end of his Utd career or the end of next season.

We clearly need to adjust them so that it's not part of his job to create or defend apparently and we can only have nice, fluffy comments about him until either the end of his Utd career or the end of next season.
Yes that would be best for all involved so we don't have to listen to meaningless moaning all the time...

I'm sure you'll apply that to everyone equally and not just the people you like.
yes I'm sorry that i'm one of those fans that supports the players rather than slates them. Memphis has been poor this season but give the lad a break. Di Maria, Mata, Rooney, how many former world class players are gonna have to turn shit before people realise its the manges tactics and not the players.

Thought he was pretty poor against Chelsea if I'm honest, he slows down our play far too often and is far too negative on the ball. Sure he offers more defensive cover but that's not enough at a club like Utd, to often he turns backwards instead of driving the ball through midfield or playing that killer ball into the strikers. He's got a hell of a long way to go to become Utd quality.

yes I'm sorry that i'm one of those fans that supports the players rather than slates them. Memphis has been poor this season but give the lad a break. Di Maria, Mata, Rooney, how many former world class players are gonna have to turn shit before people realise its the manges tactics and not the players.
Are you though? Or is it just some players.

Are you though? Or is it just some players.
Haha I love it... Thing is I'm not writing off anyone of the new signings, I think Memphis has been poor and I actually don't really have a problem with people saying that. I just cant stand people writing off players before they have had the proper chance to prove themselves. Despite whatever you might throw up i do support the players and thats better than some of the shit people dish out on here.

Whats funny (and a little sad) is looking at your previous posts and realising you only ever post in this thread to tell us how crap Memphis is. Its pretty funny seeing people trying to justify their own agenda against a player. let me guess you don't like the way he dresses, talks, acts....

Haha I love it... Thing is I'm not writing off anyone of the new signings, I think Memphis has been poor and I actually don't really have a problem with people saying that. I just cant stand people writing off players before they have had the proper chance to prove themselves. Despite whatever you might throw up i do support the players and thats better than some of the shit people dish out on here.

Whats funny (and a little sad) is looking at your previous posts and realising you only ever post in this thread to tell us how crap Memphis is. Its pretty funny seeing people trying to justify their own agenda against a player. let me guess you don't like the way he dresses, talks, acts....
But you've done no different with Scnneiderlin to what I've done with Depay. You've done the same with Lingard too. I don't rate Depay from what I've seen. I don't give a shit how he dresses. Have a look through my posts and see if you seen anything where I've talked about how he behaves off the pitch. Good luck. When he plays well I'll post about it. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you'd find it.

But you've done no different with Scnneiderlin to what I've done with Depay. You've done the same with Lingard too. I don't rate Depay from what I've seen. I don't give a shit how he dresses. Have a look through my posts and see if you seen anything where I've talked about how he behaves off the pitch. Good luck. When he plays well I'll post about it. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you'd find it.
Except for the part where I still fully expect Sneiderlin to improve and be a mainstay of this Utd team, because guess what I think he deserves time. I forget that in your world you have to perform instantly to be any good and have any quality. Sometimes in life it takes longer to settle into a new area, a new life for different people and that's no different with football players ( who may I remind you are still human beings). I've in no way written Sneiderlin off, and I'm fully entitled to thinking he had a poor performance and hasn't hit his potential yet the same way I acknowledge that depay has been poor. I just don't think you can judge a new player and particularly a player that young, after less than a season. Particularly when he's shown glimpses of real quality.

Except for the part where I still fully expect Sneiderlin to improve and be a mainstay of this Utd team, because guess what I think he deserves time. I forget that in your world you have to perform instantly to be any good and have any quality. Sometimes in life it takes longer to settle into a new area, a new life for different people and that's no different with football players ( who may I remind you are still human beings). I've in no way written Sneiderlin off, and I'm fully entitled to thinking he had a poor performance and hasn't hit his potential yet the same way I acknowledge that depay has been poor. I just don't think you can judge a new player and particularly a player that young, after less than a season. Particularly when he's shown glimpses of real quality.
But yet you've said that he has a long way to go to be Utd quality. You've also said the same about Lingard. You're being a hypocrite and no amount of words you use will change that.

Playing Memphis in a front of 3 with Martial and a new right winger/wide forward would be interesting, like Barcelona with Neymar-Suarez-Messi or Madrid with Ronaldo-Benzema-Bale.

Memphis-Martial-[Griezmann/Dybala/Sane] look good to me.

Do you think he would improve in a 433 (like when he was in PSV)?

I never understood the fuss about his clothes and cars. Does it really matter?

It does if it suggests he's more concerned with acting the lad around town than knuckling down and making sure he has a career here

Memphis isn't the top dog on his team anymore. He has to learn how to defer and take his chances when there are available and cannot force it nearly as much. Martial, arguably, is top dog next to Rooney.

In order for Memphis to improve, his effort, composure and selflessness must improve ten fold.

Merely pointing out your hypocrisy. You just want people not to comment negatively on players you like but you're happy to do it yourself.
The thing is reading your posts I'm really not sure you want Memphis to come good, you've written him off already and I think you'd love to be right.

The thing is reading your posts I'm really not sure you want Memphis to come good, you've written him off already and I think you'd love to be right.
It's blatantly obvious, in the Newcastle the only thing he could talk about was a missed tackle. Apparently he should be completely adjusted to the game in England after the equivalent of 15 games and anything he did prior to joining United doesn't matter, honestly.

Playing Memphis in a front of 3 with Martial and a new right winger/wide forward would be interesting, like Barcelona with Neymar-Suarez-Messi or Madrid with Ronaldo-Benzema-Bale.

Memphis-Martial-[Griezmann/Dybala/Sane] look good to me.

Do you think he would improve in a 433 (like when he was in PSV)?
I'd say unequivocally, it would play to his strengths, as it's been alluded to in this thread he's more of a finisher than a creator. His off the ball movement really is top notch and he'd be pretty dangerous as a wide forward.

Yeah, I absolutely love it when Utd players turn out not very good. Be sensible. I've done no different to what you have done on other players. At least be honest with yourself.

It's blatantly obvious, in the Newcastle the only thing he could talk about was a missed tackle. Apparently he should be completely adjusted to the game in England after the equivalent of 15 games and anything he did prior to joining United doesn't matter, honestly.
Anything he did previously needs to be judged on its own merit. Goal scoring in Holland should not be taken too seriously when you look at the two players who currently top their scoring charts. Something everyone here is failing to acknowledge. I don't expect him to be fully adjusted. I expect better from somebody allegedly so talented. He's not showing it and if he played for anyone else there wouldn't be anybody here singing his praises currently.

Anything he did previously needs to be judged on its own merit. Goal scoring in Holland should not be taken too seriously when you look at the two players who currently top their scoring charts. Something everyone here is failing to acknowledge. I don't expect him to be fully adjusted. I expect better from somebody allegedly so talented. He's not showing it and if he played for anyone else there wouldn't be anybody here singing his praises currently.
Yes it does need to be taken on its own merit, no one here thinks it's an elite league, but its still a decent league and he deserves some plaudits for his performances there. You seem to be incapable of seeing anything between genius and atrocious. He's underperformed yes everyone accepts that but he's shown glimpses of genuine quality, enough to not totally disregard him as a failure not midway through his first season in a new country at the age of 21, like you.

Yes it does need to be taken on its own merit, no one here thinks it's an elite league, but its still a decent league and he deserves some plaudits for his performances there. You seem to be incapable of seeing anything between genius and atrocious. He's underperformed yes everyone accepts that but he's shown glimpses of genuine quality, enough to not totally disregard him as a failure not midway through his first season in a new country at the age of 21, like you.
I haven't called him a failure or a flop, merely I haven't seen this talent and I have doubts. I've seen him fail at the basics a lot more than seeing him excel. That people are clinging to a cross against Newcastle shows what he's served up this season. The Dutch league is awful. Truly awful so forgive me if I don't believe he's incredibly talented based on what he did there last season. The same way I don't think De Jong or Kuyt are great players. Do you? How often did you actually watch him in Holland? If he goes on to improve then super. But he needs to. A lot.

I haven't called him a failure or a flop, merely I haven't seen this talent and I have doubts. I've seen him fail at the basics a lot more than seeing him excel. That people are clinging to a cross against Newcastle shows what he's served up this season. The Dutch league is awful. Truly awful so forgive me if I don't believe he's incredibly talented based on what he did there last season. The same way I don't think De Jong or Kuyt are great players. Do you? How often did you actually watch him in Holland? If he goes on to improve then super. But he needs to. A lot.
And for every failure there's a Saurez or a Robben, whats your point? Try judging him on as an individual and not applying a blanket generalisation.At no point have you suggested anything as grey as having 'doubts', you've rather blunt about your opinion on him so there's no point in trying to purvey a degree of balance in your view.

And for every failure there's a Saurez or a Robben, whats your point? Try judging him on as an individual and not applying a blanket generalisation.At no point have you suggested anything as grey as having 'doubts', you've rather blunt about your opinion on him so there's no point in trying to purvey a degree of balance in your view.
My point is saying he's undoubtedly talented because he scored lots of goals last season is stupid unless you think Kuyt and De Jong are too. I see you've ignored my question on how much you watched him so I'll guess you didn't. I am judging as an individual and on what I've seen. It's not been an undoubtedly talented player struggling because he's moved to a country where he speaks the language and has played for the manager before. The excuses here from him from certain posters all season has been unreal. Initially it was because he was played in the middle. Now it's because he plays out wide and he'd be better in the middle. One minute he's the only player being creative. The next it's not his job to create. Or defend. What is it about his game this season that has stood out?

I am no more blunt in my opinion than you have been in yours. Unfortunately for you there's more evidence backing my current stance than there is for yours. Because I didn't come in with a predisposed opinion on how good he'd be. If he turns out to be as good as you think then happy days. My words are here for them to be quoted to prove me wrong. While I don't think he'll become the player you think it doesn't mean I rule out the possibility he'll improve.

My point is saying he's undoubtedly talented because he scored lots of goals last season is stupid unless you think Kuyt and De Jong are too. I see you've ignored my question on how much you watched him so I'll guess you didn't. I am judging as an individual and on what I've seen. It's not been an undoubtedly talented player struggling because he's moved to a country where he speaks the language and has played for the manager before. The excuses here from him from certain posters all season has been unreal. Initially it was because he was played in the middle. Now it's because he plays out wide and he'd be better in the middle. One minute he's the only player being creative. The next it's not his job to create. Or defend. What is it about his game this season that has stood out?

I am no more blunt in my opinion than you have been in yours. Unfortunately for you there's more evidence backing my current stance than there is for yours. Because I didn't come in with a predisposed opinion on how good he'd be. If he turns out to be as good as you think then happy days. My words are here for them to be quoted to prove me wrong. While I don't think he'll become the player you think it doesn't mean I rule out the possibility he'll improve.
Again with the black and white analysis. He speaks the language, so does Van Gaal but you're telling me he hadn't struggled to protect his point? To communicate to the level he has. You've ignored entirely any possible variables and decided there's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be performing to his best at this moment in time. It would be a valid point of he hasn't played the equivalent of less than 15 games for the club. Speaking of ignoring statements (yes I've seen a decent amount of him prior to joining us) why do you think less than 15 games of football is enough to write off a new player? Show me where you've alluded to him he'll possibly improve to a good standard? Because up until now you've been entirely brazen about how shit you think he is. You've been an constant in this thread and you've been exclusively negative, even when hes played well. Yes there's more evidence for your point if you choose to ignore or discount anything in his favour as you've clearly done, I'm managed to stay balanced accepting when's he's been poor and praising him when he's played well. You've actually goes out of your way to find fault.

Again with the black and white analysis. He speaks the language, so does Van Gaal but you're telling me he hadn't struggled to protect his point? To communicate to the level he has. You've ignored entirely any possible variables and decided there's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be performing to his best at this moment in time. It would be a valid point of he hasn't played the equivalent of less than 15 games for the club. Speaking of ignoring statements (yes I've seen a decent amount of him prior to joining us) why do you think less than 15 games of football is enough to write off a new player? Show me where you've alluded to him he'll possibly improve to a good standard? Because up until now you've been entirely brazen about how shit you think he is. You've been an constant in this thread and you've been exclusively negative, even when hes played well. Yes there's more evidence for your point if you choose to ignore or discount anything in his favour as you've clearly done, I'm managed to stay balanced accepting when's he's been poor and praising him when he's played well. You've actually goes out of your way to find fault.
That's a lot of words to say very little. I haven't alluded to him proving me wrong and being as good as you think because I don't believe he will. It doesn't mean there isn't the possibility I'm wrong.

Have you really? I don't believe you. How much did you watch him in Holland because I don't think you were singing his praises too much before we signed him. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

How often have you accepted he's been poor? Can you show me a post during or after a game from this thread where you've said he's been poor and haven't constantly made excuses?

That's a lot of words to say very little. I haven't alluded to him proving me wrong and being as good as you think because I don't believe he will. It doesn't mean there isn't the possibility I'm wrong.

Have you really? I don't believe you. How much did you watch him in Holland because I don't think you were singing his praises too much before we signed him. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

How often have you accepted he's been poor? Can you show me a post during or after a game from this thread where you've said he's been poor and haven't constantly made excuses?
That was just awful.
And your argument in a nutshell, let's flip it and now you prove to me how regularly you've watched him play prior to his move (good luck with that).
Your turn, let's see this balanced view that didn't magically appear in the last couple of pages, oh that's right you're talking nonsense, whats the line? Feel free to prove me wrong.

And your argument in a nutshell, let's flip it and now you prove to me how regularly you've watched him play prior to his move (good luck with that).
Your turn, let's see this balanced view that didn't magically appear in the last couple of pages, oh that's right you're talking nonsense, whats the line? Feel free to prove me wrong.
Your post about his attempted headed back pass? Would you like me to quote your follow ups? Is that really the best you could do?

I've never claimed to watch much of him. I saw him in the World Cup and didn't think much. So there's not really a lot to be proven wrong I'm afraid. I've been quite clear on the fact I'm forming my opinion on what I've seen. I'm not the one pretending I watched him in Holland.

no idea what he'll be or what he won't cause I've seen signings that have excelled and others that have failed irrespective of what we've paid for them. Dutch league maybe a lessor standard but the list is endless the amount of truly world class players that have come from it, including some that have been here.

For me, the fact that the goalkeeper is probably the only world class player in this team and the football is so shocking, I think even Messi would struggle to show in this team. Needs a team that's more attack minded and a manager thats more expansive too before we see the best out of him....

Your post about his attempted headed back pass? Would you like me to quote your follow ups? Is that really the best you could do?

I've never claimed to watch much of him. I saw him in the World Cup and didn't think much. So there's not really a lot to be proven wrong I'm afraid. I've been quite clear on the fact I'm forming my opinion on what I've seen. I'm not the one pretending I watched him in Holland.
:lol::lol: at least you've been consistent, thought I wouldn't find criticisms (wasn't hard), when I do (easily) you downplay them. Just to clarify I work within the horticultural trade, we get a hell of a lot of plants from Holland here (Veen, Planting etc.) so football is a chief subject.

:lol::lol: at least you've been consistent, thought I wouldn't find criticisms (wasn't hard), when I do (easily) you downplay them. Just to clarify I work within the horticultural trade, we get a hell of a lot of plants from Holland here (Veen, Planting etc.) so football is a chief subject.
One post. Surrounded by excuses for him. If you've been so balanced show us some more examples. I could show posts where I've said something positive about him. Like yours mine also come with a but though. But I'm capable of being honest. It's surprising with how much Dutch football you watched you weren't telling us more about him when he was first linked. I didn't realise talking to Dutch people was evidence of your keen interest in watching the league.

One post. Surrounded by excuses for him. If you've been so balanced show us some more examples. I could show posts where I've said something positive about him. Like yours mine also come with a but though. But I'm capable of being honest. It's surprising with how much Dutch football you watched you weren't telling us more about him when he was first linked. I didn't realise talking to Dutch people was evidence of your keen interest in watching the league.
Well show then. What evidence were you looking for then that I watch Dutch football, examples please.

Well show then. What evidence were you looking for then that I watch Dutch football, examples please.
I just find it strange such a keen watcher of Dutch football had only a handful of posts in the year long thread before he signed none of which talking about games he'd played in. Ultimately it doesn't really matter because you're clearly unlikely to back down and admit you were bullshitting now.

I just find it strange such a keen watcher of Dutch football had only a handful of posts in the year long thread before he signed none of which talking about games he'd played in. Ultimately it doesn't really matter because you're clearly unlikely to back down and admit you were bullshitting now.
Still waiting for those posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.