View full 2015-16 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread represents the true nature of Utd fans. I was always brought up thinking we were a special club with special fans but it seems that we are just like all the other moneybag clubs that don't give a flying monkey about young players. There a litter all people in this thread abusing him with names and racist comments how the hell can you justify that even if Memphis has underperformed. I don't understand why people can't just reserved judgment for a couple of years and under a new manager at the very least.
Should people just blindly pretend he's been great or that he doesn't look to have much talent?

This thread is proper shit. Questioning his tattoos, saying he looks like a Mexican drug cartel/Black gangsta rapper.. feck me :lol:

This thread is always upseting, he is discrete, he doesn't talk much, he doesn't act badly on the field but he is still abused by his own fans. He is only 21 years old, he is still developping and he isn't used to possession football or the PL, he is the perfect example of players who need time and support.
This. just as one of the above posters thought..i too was of the belief the fans of this club were much more patient of our young players. Kids 21, really not fair the treatment. He only wants to get better and back to his best and do well for his club. i have faith he will coem good given time

This thread is always upseting, he is discrete, he doesn't talk much, he doesn't act badly on the field but he is still abused by his own fans. He is only 21 years old, he is still developping and he isn't used to possession football or the PL, he is the perfect example of players who need time and support.

Agreed, from body language experts to style experts he's getting abused all over this thread. He just needs time, he's a magnificent talent and we've seen that in the World Cup, PSV and in flashes at United. It's his first year and it would be idiotic to rule him out already.

This thread is proper shit. Questioning his tattoos, saying he looks like a Mexican drug cartel/Black gangsta rapper.. feck me :lol:

Memphis is a nothing player alright, a footballing fraudster on the pitch, but to take the Mickey out of his life off it is uncalled for and plain sad.

Okay so fans don't like players that don't work hard is what you're saying? Is this strange to you?

What I'm saying is that

A- our fans tend to be more tolerant to workhorses as compared to talented players who are inconsistent, they think that they are bigger than life or lazy

B- since youth talent tend to be inconsistent it would be better off for them not to pissed off the inpatient fans by staying out of the limelight

What I'm saying is that

A- our fans tend to be more tolerant to workhorses as compared to talented players who are inconsistent, they think that they are bigger than life or lazy

B- since youth talent tend to be inconsistent it would be better off for them not to pissed off the inpatient fans by staying out of the limelight

It's not possible the fans track the players now and when they find something they beat the shit out of players with it.

I'd like to see him get a run of games centrally, I think long term he's more likely to be a success there than on the wing.

What I'm saying is that

It would help if he displayed this supposed talent. I'm personally more forgiving of Januzaj's inconsistencies because he's actually shown something at Utd.

It would help if he displayed this supposed talent. I'm personally more forgiving of Januzaj's inconsistencies because he's actually shown something at Utd.

Januzaj is our lad. There's a bias towards him. If he was British he would probably be considered the next Beckham same as Jones was considered the next Duncan Edwards. Depay had shown glimpses of class unfortunately they were rare. The fact that he looks like a gangster and goes in training with flashy rolls Royce doesnt help him much

:lol:

Yeah that's why he's at fecking Newcastle.
You can laugh all you want but in one of the worst PL teams he has manage to get 9 goals and 3 assists in 22 games.. Our Memphis who was bought to replace Di Maria has 4 goals in 23 games in a much better team.. Wijnaldum would also have cost less. Not that I am saying Wijnaldum would have been United quality but he was and is a much better player than Memphis just without all the hype and drama.

Problem with him is that expectations have been far too high. He played some great seasons for PSV and did quite well at the WC.
Some seriously compared him to Ronaldo and a lot of People here thought buying him and selling AdM would improve us.
Looking at it as neutral as possible he is not a bad Player and has some potential but never enough to reach the Level of AdM or other Players in that bracket.
I would be fine if he reached the Level of Valencia/Young at their Peak.

Should people just blindly pretend he's been great or that he doesn't look to have much talent?
No but to resort to personal insults about his ethnic background and his looks is pretty low. He's a Man Utd player so deserves support especially as he's a young lad in a new country, at a huge club. For those that can't see the talent just watch him last year and tell me he's not talented. Isn't it amazing that Di Maria, Mata, now Memphis are all worse players under LVG, now maybe I'm being bold here.... But maybe... Just maybe, Memphis, Rooney Di Maria, Mata playing like shit is down to the manager and not the players. If you want to believe that all these players wearnt top class under different managers then good on you, but it's clear denial to not accept LVGs role in their decline.
I had high expectations for Memphis when he arrived and he clearly hasn't lived up to that yet but there is no way you can Write him off yet without being a fool.

No mate, the thread represents the culture we've become accustomed to with regards to players over the years. a number of people don't seem to give players the time to adjust to united / English football etc and I agree with you there

The true nature of a united fan is to love the club and support players who play for it, those who slate a 20 year old who moves to a new league and country and struggles aren't the fans I know as all my mates understand it will take time with elvis
Yeh your bang on here

Problem with him is that expectations have been far too high. He played some great seasons for PSV and did quite well at the WC.
Some seriously compared him to Ronaldo and a lot of People here thought buying him and selling AdM would improve us.
Looking at it as neutral as possible he is not a bad Player and has some potential but never enough to reach the Level of AdM or other Players in that bracket.
I would be fine if he reached the Level of Valencia/Young at their Peak.

I think he can be the same player that left PSV only if we change our style. Counter attacking football suits him, not giving him the ball when there's 9 men already in the box and expecting him to score.

The key is that Memphis isn't a creator, he is a finisher. Knowing that, people should understand that he will always be one of the first victims of our incapacity to create chances, unless we manage to completely change his game. His game is all about movement and shooting technique and he showed that he was good at both, it's obviously not enough for us since we lack in creativity, but he was never the player that some people fantasized.

Januzaj is our lad. There's a bias towards him. If he was British he would probably be considered the next Beckham same as Jones was considered the next Duncan Edwards. Depay had shown glimpses of class unfortunately they were rare. The fact that he looks like a gangster and goes in training with flashy rolls Royce doesnt help him much
And yet I never felt that way about Darron Gibson or Kieran Richardson. Bias has nothing to do with it. Would you think Depay was an extremely talented player if he played for one of our rivals?

No but to resort to personal insults about his ethnic background and his looks is pretty low. He's a Man Utd player so deserves support especially as he's a young lad in a new country, at a huge club. For those that can't see the talent just watch him last year and tell me he's not talented. Isn't it amazing that Di Maria, Mata, now Memphis are all worse players under LVG, now maybe I'm being bold here.... But maybe... Just maybe, Memphis, Rooney Di Maria, Mata playing like shit is down to the manager and not the players. If you want to believe that all these players wearnt top class under different managers then good on you, but it's clear denial to not accept LVGs role in their decline.
I had high expectations for Memphis when he arrived and he clearly hasn't lived up to that yet but there is no way you can Write him off yet without being a fool.
Writing him off is no more foolish than having high expectations for him. In fact the way he's performed lends more evidence to the former being less foolish. His performances in the Dutch league are no basis for believing he will be a great player.

With all those players you still saw glimpses occasionally of them being very good players for Utd. They've also done it at other clubs at a much higher level than Depay. Take away games against teams from a much lower level and Depay has done next to nothing at Utd. I've asked this question of others and it's not been answered. How highly would you rate him if he'd signed for Liverpool? People would be falling over themselves laughing at him.

He was getting stick after he'd scored or assisted 8 times in his first 10 matches.

I understand the criticism and he has been woeful at times. But I think it's foolish to rule him out just yet. I'd say a lot comes down to LvG's inability to motivate and I think Memphis needs a chance to gain some momentum and confidence. And maybe next season, that will be under a new more attacking manager.

You can laugh all you want but in one of the worst PL teams he has manage to get 9 goals and 3 assists in 22 games.. Our Memphis who was bought to replace Di Maria has 4 goals in 23 games in a much better team.. Wijnaldum would also have cost less. Not that I am saying Wijnaldum would have been United quality but he was and is a much better player than Memphis just without all the hype and drama.

Utd aren't a much better team though when you compare our offensive to Newcastles. We've managed to score only four more goals than Newcastle this season in the BPL (28 goals scored vs 24). Over all competitions Memphis has amassed 5 goals and 5 assists while Wijnaldum's got 9 goals and 3 assists having played about 500 minutes more than Memphis has in all competitions in the premier league only. So there really isn't as big a rift between them as you say. One could even argue that Wijnaldum has had the better conditions to flourish in.

Wijnaldum is three and half years older.

Great win but a terrible player. But anyone that watched a bit of Eredivisie could see that Wijnaldum was the guy to buy not that flashy knob.

I suppose PSG,Liverpool and us were competing to sign for Wijnaldum then?

If you ask me, Depay his shown much more in some of his performances in the Champions League, notably the qualifiers. What does Januzaj have to his name? that performance vs Sunderland?

If you ask me, Depay his shown much more in some of his performances in the Champions League, notably the qualifiers. What does Januzaj have to his name? that performance vs Sunderland?

Shhhh don't say thing like that too loudly, we must maintain that Januzaj under Moyes was the best thing since slice bread....

He'd a lot of good performances that season I would say. The best that can be picked out for Depay is a performance against a pub team. Januzaj was also three years younger than Depay.

Shhhh don't say thing like that too loudly, we must maintain that Januzaj under Moyes was the best thing since slice bread....
Yeah, because that's what I was saying. Be careful you don't go against the supporting our young players grain.

Yeah, because that's what I was saying. Be careful you don't go against the supporting our young players grain.

Because I have a differing opinion?
I support Januzaj, I actually like him. However it seems his performances that season have been widely over played.
Even in the games he did well in, he was inconsistent (as most young players are) I don't see how anyone can say hes done more than Depay.
For me they have both shown some talent and contributed to goals, but have been inconsistent in many games and poor defensively on the wing in a lot of games too.

Yep, unfortunately too many idiots judge him based on how he dresses or his tattoos or the cars he likes. It's fecking pathetic.

It's a struggle to remember too many individual games from that season but he was good in the game he scored against West Ham that I can remember. I also can recall being more hopeful while watching him play than I have been watching Depay. Though obviously he was just as shit last season so perhaps he'll turn out to be a flash in the pan. He wouldn't be the first. Not sure how any of this makes Depay one of the most exciting talents in Europe.

He'd a lot of good performances that season I would say. The best that can be picked out for Depay is a performance against a pub team. Januzaj was also three years younger than Depay.

I don't see how that's relevant, unless Januzaj was performing at that level since that season, which he hasn't been. Plenty of 18 year olds burst onto the scene only to quickly fade away and I'm not saying Januzaj will. The only game that really sticks out for me is that Sunderland game he scored the volley in. Depay has bagged a few good performances in the Champions League, including a goal against his old side.

Because I have a differing opinion?
I support Januzaj, I actually like him. However it seems his performances that season have been widely over played.
Even in the games he did well in, he was inconsistent (as most young players are) I don't see how anyone can say hes done more than Depay.
For me they have both shown some talent and contributed to goals, but have been inconsistent in many games and poor defensively on the wing in a lot of games too.
Apparently so. People are being accused of not being real Utd fans for not pretending Depay is great. And my opinion differs from yours. I think Januzaj was better that season than Depay has been. I'm sure I'm not in the minority there.

Yep, unfortunately too many idiots judge him based on how he dresses or his tattoos or the cars he likes. It's fecking pathetic.

It's insane, I can't believe I'm reading some of the stuff on here. He's 21 ffs, what do people expect? "He looks like gangster," I have read it all now.

He's a young player making a huge step up, in a new league and the team is off-form. Him being poor on the pitch is not a surprise.

I don't see how that's relevant, unless Januzaj was performing at that level since that season, which he hasn't been. Plenty of 18 year olds burst onto the scene only to quickly fade away and I'm not saying Januzaj will. The only game that really sticks out for me is that Sunderland game he scored the volley in. Depay has bagged a few good performances in the Champions League, including a goal against his old side.
Because you're comparing their performances as to who was more impressive. Depay has done nothing outside of games at a very low level for Utd. I can just about see why people retain hope for the future but I don't see how anyone can say he's been anything but awful this season.

Because you're comparing their performances as to who was more impressive. Depay has done nothing outside of games at a very low level for Utd. I can just about see why people retain hope for the future but I don't see how anyone can say he's been anything but awful this season.

I agree, he's been for the most part awful, but I don't see how Januzaj could be marked down at the brighter talent either. Both have a hell of a lot to prove.

I agree, he's been for the most part awful, but I don't see how Januzaj could be marked down at the brighter talent either. Both have a hell of a lot to prove.
They do. Januzaj has been disappointing for over a year now. I only used him as an example of a player I would be more forgiving of being inconsistent because there was a time when I felt he played well for us. All Depay has going for him is performances in a nothing league and a game against the worst team we've faced all season against whom even Rooney in the worst form of his career scored a hat trick. Even players just struggling to adjust will normally show what they have in their locker. I don't see it with Depay. All I see is a wide player who struggles to beat players, doesn't pass the ball very well and has erratic shooting.

Anybody else think maybe his choice of boots has effected things?

He was fantastic while wearing Adidas for PSV, soon as he switched to under armour towards the end of the season he stopped scoring. Since he's joined us his form hasn't recovered, time for a switch back to Adidas I feel.

not really being serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.