Mehdi Benatia | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Chelsea easily have the best defence in the Premier League, I don't think they have a single weak point. The're the last team to need another defender.
Because Terry is aging and it remains to be seen how good Zouma copes with the Premier League. Ivanovic set for RB I'd say. Didn't call it a weak point and said that it's nothing compared to Arsenal or us.

Pretty much, I'd make them favourites for the league right now. Not many world class players, but so many really, really good players that their team really has no weaknesses anymore.

The got the best players in all their weak areas, cesc,costa and Luiz.
Benatia would just be a bit much for me to process.

Because Terry is aging and it remains to be seen how good Zouma copes with the Premier League. Ivanovic set for RB I'd say. Didn't call it a weak point and said that it's nothing compared to Arsenal or us.

LB - Azpi and Luis
RB - Ivanovic and Azpi
CB - Terry and Ivanovic
CB - Cahil and Zouma

Their defence is complete to me...

Then they can replace Terry then. They don't need to right now. I disagree on Ivanovic, I see him playing cb this year next to Terry. Luis and Azpilliqueta will be the starting full backs when all are fit imo. Their defence is easily good enough already to start this season.

LB - Azpi and Luis
RB - Ivanovic and Azpi
CB - Terry and Ivanovic
CB - Cahil and Zouma

Six players covering four slots is a little thin IMO, especially when Terry is on his last legs and Zouma is extremely raw.

Six players covering four slots is a little thin IMO, especially when Terry is on his last legs and Zouma is extremely raw.

But most of their defence is not injury prone. If they need depth, they should get some average/good players, their starting defence is excellent. No need to waste great players on the bench like they did Mata.

LB - Azpi and Luis
RB - Ivanovic and Azpi
CB - Terry and Ivanovic
CB - Cahil and Zouma

Did you not read his sentence were he says Terry is ageing and Zouma is completely unproven? It would be a very smart decision to bring in a world class CB in his prime while they can rather than risk facing huge competition for him if a team like United/Barca/Bayern get involved.

Then they can replace Terry then. They don't need to right now. I disagree on Ivanovic, I see him playing cb this year next to Terry. Luis and Azpilliqueta will be the starting full backs when all are fit imo. Their defence is easily good enough already to start this season.
That would be next season to me, depends on Mourinho's plans. With the new signings I expect a more expressive style of play and therefore a higher defensive line, which won't suit Terry.
They could loan Zouma out for the season aswell, if they sign Benatia, who knows.

Did you not read his sentence were he says Terry is ageing and Zouma is completely unproven? It would be a very smart decision to bring in a world class CB in his prime while they can rather than risk facing huge competition for him if a team like United/Barca/Bayern get involved.

My point was a starting back 4 of Azpi - Cahil - Ivanavoc - Luis is solid without Terry. And thats the defence id expect in a tough game if Terry is unavailable. It would be better for them to have Benatia but he is a regular starter that would probably expect the same playing time if he moves. Zouma can hapilly sit on the bench for now, but you think Benatia would?

My point was a starting back 4 of Azpi - Cahil - Ivanavoc - Luis is solid without Terry. And thats the defence id expect in a tough game if Terry is unavailable. It would be better for them to have Benatia but he is a regular starter that would probably expect the same playing time if he moves. Zouma can hapilly sit on the bench for now, but you think Benatia would?

Benatia is better than every defender Chelsea have so no of course he wouldn't be sitting on the bench, and It's a good management decision to bring in a replacement for Terry before he becomes a complete liability, they can easily transition him to being a squad player like United/Chelsea have done in the past with other long time servants. Just because the current defence is solid doesn't mean they shouldn't aim to make it better whilst also dealing with future problems.

I would be very upset if Benatia is available and we let him go to Chelsea unchallenged. We need a top top CB and that's exactly what he is. With Dortmund being tight on Hummels, why have we not gone straight in for Benatia?

But most of their defence is not injury prone. If they need depth, they should get some average/good players, their starting defence is excellent. No need to waste great players on the bench like they did Mata.
Luis,Terry + Benatia, Azpi first choice, Chill, Ivan, Zouma back ups. Given that they usually go long in cups and Europe I think there'll be enough games appropriate to everyone's experience and quality.

Metro and Express say he's going to Chelsea, so we can definitely rule out him going there.

I would be very upset if Benatia is available and we let him go to Chelsea unchallenged. We need a top top CB and that's exactly what he is. With Dortmund being tight on Hummels, why have we not gone straight in for Benatia?
Roma and Chelsea have ECL - we don't.

That's how your lot & Shitty have become so successful.

I really think we need to follow the RM mould in the transfer market, as distasteful as that my be to many supporters. We want this player and we are going to buy him, sooner rather than later.
RM flash the cash majorly too, its not just about their appeal.

I for one am at a loss to understand why United fail to attract as much top talent, and one of the only reasons I can think of is the location.

RM flash the cash majorly too, its not just about their appeal.

I for one am at a loss to understand why United fail to attract as much top talent, and one of the only reasons I can think of is the location.

RM do flash the cash. As to United's attractiveness - head to head with Madrid or Barca and offering the same money, yes I think United would usually miss out, due to location as much as anything. However as we seldom even match their financial offer, we don't give many players anything to think about.

What are you saying? We aren't the biggest club in the World? Chavs and Roma are bigger are they?
Biggest club in terms of what? Sponsorship deals maybe, but in football terms, no way. And that's what matters for a football club

We may be a 'bigger' club than Chelsea but they're definitely a better prospect for players to go to right now, and that's what matters.

Even when we had CL football and Sir Alex we couldn't get players over them, like Hazard.

We may be a 'bigger' club than Chelsea but they're definitely a better prospect for players to go to right now, and that's what matters.

Even when we had CL football and Sir Alex we couldn't get players over them, like Hazard.
We couldn't get Hazard for a different reason, and none of those actually include "football". I have no idea how they are a better prospect than us, to be fair.

You argue like a 12 year old

Where as you have no arguments at all. Have you forgotten that United are the most successful club in the PL era? Over 20 years at, or around, the top of the league. One season with a useless shithouse in charge doesn't negate everything that went before.

Real Madrid clearly are.

The original post suggested Roma and Chavs are somehow a bigger draw than United.

We couldn't get Hazard for a different reason, and none of those actually include "football". I have no idea how they are a better prospect than us, to be fair.
Huh? We couldn't do Hazard because of fees where as they could, which is one of the reasons they're a better prospect, they can afford players and fees we cannot (well, not according to Woodward, but that remains to be seen). It's one of the reasons they get players over us.

Where as you have no arguments at all. Have you forgotten that United are the most successful club in the PL era? Over 20 years at, or around, the top of the league. One season with a useless shithouse in charge doesn't negate everything that went before.

The original post suggested Roma and Chavs are somehow a bigger draw than United.

Being a bigger club and being a bigger draw are different. Right now we can offer the best manager in world football, a stable team and CL football, more money, plus living in London.
That makes us a bigger draw to most players, despite obviously not having the historical appeal of United.

I think as fans we assume players see the clubs as we do as opposed to how our actual lives would be. Fabregas said that if he came back to the EPL he wanted it to be London didnt he?

Go with the time - I was talking about right now in world football.

Being a bigger club and being a bigger draw are different. Right now we can offer the best manager in world football, a stable team and CL football, more money, plus living in London.
That makes us a bigger draw to most players, despite obviously not having the historical appeal of United.

I think as fans we assume players see the clubs as we do as opposed to how our actual lives would be. Fabregas said that if he came back to the EPL he wanted it to be London didnt he?

Ahem...

Surely the best manager in world football at the moment is Ancelotti.

Surely the best manager in world football at the moment is Ancelotti.

No, overall Jose is still number one and one trophyless season does not change that. SAF went 3 years without the league and only a couple of cups, but that didnt stop him being number one.

No, overall Jose is still number one and one trophyless season does not change that. SAF went 3 years without the league and only a couple of cups, but that didnt stop him being number one.
Fair enough. I do rate Mourinho higher than Ancelotti, but at the moment his Madrid would be a more attractive proposition in my opinion.

Huh? We couldn't do Hazard because of fees where as they could, which is one of the reasons they're a better prospect, they can afford players and fees we cannot (well, not according to Woodward, but that remains to be seen). It's one of the reasons they get players over us.
How are those footballing reasons? Or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.