Mehdi Benatia | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
We absolutely need a new CB to come straight into the side. Even with Rio and Vidic in the squad we had so many injuries Carrick and Fletcher had to be used there. Going into next season with only 3 qualified CB's playing a formation which requires all 3 of them to be fit seems like total madness to me. If we don't sign another defender I will have zero sympathy for LVG when the inevitable happens and Jones manages to injure both Evans and Smalling.

That doesn't tell any of us why Benatia played for that many clubs and wasn't a target for a bigger club until now; he played a solid number of years in Italy by now. With all due respect to Roma, he would have gone anywhere else by now if he is as good as some people say.

He was rated when he started his professionnal career ( but not by L1 coaches), he had injuries who bothered him.

And he wasn't the type of CB's liked in France, too good technically and too far from a bodybuilder.

I know minimal about this lad but looking at his stats, did he really score 15 last season?

Is The Express the only actual link on this one, or is there more to it?

Didn't di Marzio say we had interest? Or did that stem from The Express?

Here's a super-collection to show some of his best stuff from last season.

I think you guys will enjoy some of the goals :)

Last edited:

Only the Express, everything came from there.

Didn't di Marzio say we had interest? Or did that stem from The Express?

No he said Roma's asking price and said we haven't bid, only said it because of the Gazetta report and they referenced the Express.

Only the Express, everything came from there.

No he said Roma's asking price and said we haven't bid, only said it because of the Gazetta report and they referenced the Express.

Bloody hell the express are like flies around shit this summer for transfer rumours.

So currently there's nothing in this story? LvG said we need defenders. Well we didn't get Vermaelen. Rodriguez links went quiet. Hummels is a no go. Rojo links happened because he started following United and some of our players on Instagram. If we're not after these players then who are we looking at?

So currently there's nothing in this story? LvG said we need defenders. Well we didn't get Vermaelen. Rodriguez links went quiet. Hummels is a no go. Rojo links happened because he started following United and some of our players on Instagram. If we're not after these players then who are we looking at?
I feel like we'll get Blind. His comments and the fact that we need both a defensive minded CM and a LCB just seems so likely. The comments he and his people have been making seem like he's a goner and Barcelona were the only other club linked, and I doubt they'll get him.

There's something in his career that I don't understand. If he's that good, why did he play for that many teams over the years? Why did he not get his chance with a bigger team in Italy by now at age 27, no disrespect to Roma? Something doesn't feel right about him, so I'm not that convinced about how good he would be at United. We talk about finding someone who can fill the boots for Rio and/or Vidic with leadership qualities of his own. There's only one CB out there who matches that profile for sure, and that someone is not the subject of this thread.
I don't really agree with this logic. Are you saying a player can only be quality if he's playing for a top club and there can't be quality lying around elsewhere? We know he was a Chelsea target before they went for Cahill which would have a lot to do with English and PL experience and what not. Anyone who has watched Benatia over a period has been impressed easily as he's a class player with very few weaknesses if any.

Vidic was at Spartak Moscow till the age of 26 and I don't remember many "Top clubs" being interested in him when we signed him. It's really no use of having scouting networks, quality ones, if we are just going to look at players who are either at top clubs or are being chased by one.

I feel like we'll get Blind. His comments and the fact that we need both a defensive minded CM and a LCB just seems so likely. The comments he and his people have been making seem like he's a goner and Barcelona were the only other club linked, and I doubt they'll get him.
same here - vermaelen was plan A apparently...

I don't understand how we can go from Vermaelaen to benatia, they are completely different defenders in two completely different price brackets....unless LVG was going for two cb's.

Vidic was at Spartak Moscow till the age of 26 and I don't remember many "Top clubs" being interested in him when we signed him. It's really no use of having scouting networks, quality ones, if we are just going to look at players who are either at top clubs or are being chased by one.
You get people saying we need to sign established players to show intent then statements like this :lol:
United always sign unknown players who turn out to be great, a lot more than signing players at top clubs.

Roma’s Garcia: “No deadline for Benatia. I wait for him for the start of the season”

10/08/2014 - 19:29

di Enrico Passarella

garcia.roma_.cagliari.2013.141-470x305.jpg

Rudi Garcia spoke after the friendly against Elterndorf: “Benatia? There is no deadline like in the past year for De Rossi, but he has a contract with us and I wait for him at the start of the season with us. Starting from now, the less we change, the better, also considering the Champions League.”

Link

Roma's Garcia "No deadline for Benatia" http://t.co/XeXOcboQ7z

Does anyone else have the feeling LVG doesn't want to sign a star defender to slip straight into the first team? I just feel that Vermaelen was the perfect player to come in and be an excellent deputy/competition for Jones, Evans and Smalling.

I think he has plans for that three and buying someone like Benatia for £30m would see one of them get hurt again on the progress front. I think he's in for experience that he won't feel uncomfortable benching.

I too thought this.

I don't really agree with this logic. Are you saying a player can only be quality if he's playing for a top club and there can't be quality lying around elsewhere? We know he was a Chelsea target before they went for Cahill which would have a lot to do with English and PL experience and what not. Anyone who has watched Benatia over a period has been impressed easily as he's a class player with very few weaknesses if any.

Vidic was still 24 when he signed for us.

Does anyone else have the feeling LVG doesn't want to sign a star defender to slip straight into the first team? I just feel that Vermaelen was the perfect player to come in and be an excellent deputy/competition for Jones, Evans and Smalling.

I think he has plans for that three and buying someone like Benatia for £30m would see one of them get hurt again on the progress front. I think he's in for experience that he won't feel uncomfortable benching.
Excellent? Vermaelen's been shite for two years, was never that good in the first place, is always injured and still cost 15m plus add ons. It would've been a poor signing.

I think we need a top centre half more than anything else, if we genuinely want to play a back 3 long term. Benatia will miss a month or so at the ACoN and Jones/Evans/Smalling will cover for each other's knocks and they'd all still get plenty of game time to develop.

Excellent? Vermaelen's been shite for two years, was never that good in the first place, is always injured and still cost 15m plus add ons. It would've been a poor signing.
Not to mention he got injured as soon as Barca signed him. I don't get why in the world LVG wanted this guy.

Great. As if Chelsea even needs one more central defender, and United don't....

If Azpilicueta and Luis are to start as fullback they would have Cahill and Terry with Ivanovic and Zouma as backups. So I am not sure if they actually need another CB, specially one who will cost 30m.
Not sure which role Zouma will play this season, possible that he'll get loaned out again if they sign Benatia. Ivanovic only played 2 out of 36 games at CB last season, I expect him to start there for Chelsea this season, of course he's still a good CB backup. Well, like I said, not as urgently as United or Arsenal, but still, if they're looking to sign someone a CB would be appropriate.

Didn't Mourinho state a few weeks ago that he's done with transfer business this summer?

Its one of two positions we could do with a signing.

Well, maybe. But not in the league of Benatia, he's a monster of a player and will walk in to Chelsea without any problems, the question is on whose expense, your captain or Cahill's? You have Ivanovic and Zouma who can play there, more than well cover in my opinion.

We on the other hand, are badly in a need of a world class central defender, which Benatia is.

I still think we are a CB and another striker away from a good shot at the league and Beniata would suit us but is he worth the money when we have too top class CB's already its true. Zouma looks a bit raw though, wondering if he might go on loan.

Terry is 33/34. Ivanovic seems to be preferred at RB and has errors in his game more at CB.

And having seen bit of Zouma he is pretty raw though has very good attributes.

Cahill Injury and even with their deep defensive line and the defensive game that Mourinho plays there defense would look a bit weak tbh.

They can definitely use someone top class like Benatia.

Well, they could do with one, not as urgently as we though. Or Arsenal

Why? Chelsea easily have the best defence in the Premier League, I don't think they have a single weak point. The're the last team to need another defender.

Why? Chelsea easily have the best defence in the Premier League, I don't think they have a single weak point. The're the last team to need another defender.

If Chelsea get him, their transfer window will be as good as reals IMO.

Terry has a year or 2 left and will prob turn into a Lampard/Giggs type happy to stay as part of the squad for his final few years. Going after Benatia makes perfect sense for them and another example of excellent management decisions if they do which is in stark contrast the total clusterfeck we've become.

If Chelsea get him, their transfer window will be as good as reals IMO.

Pretty much, I'd make them favourites for the league right now. Not many world class players, but so many really, really good players that their team really has no weaknesses anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.