Mehdi Benatia | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they need someone to guide them which makes us signing a top CB even more important.

Also feel we've not really handled them the best way possible in their time here. This guidance should have come when Rio and Vida were here but they spent more time at RB than at CB.

To be fair Bayern's offer jumping from 18 euros to 30m is completely implausible. I don't think they want to spend that much hence looking in Spain as well.

Bayern should have the money and they were already a bit weak in numbers in terms of CBs even before Martinez got injured. I think they will buy the best CB they see as available.

Sport1 never reported that Bayern pulled out of the deal. They just reported that so far they've struggled to find an agreement over wages, which is kinda funny, because yesterday they reported, Bayern already agreed on a deal with the player and only have to find a solution with the club.

And why do you quote some random idiot on twitter who isn't even capable of translating very short news articles? It's really beyond me, you can't seriously believe that is valid information?

Last edited:
Sport1 never reported that Bayern pulled out of the deal. They just reported that so far they've struggled to find an agreement over wages, which is kinda funny, because yesterday they reported, Bayern already agreed on a deal with the player and only have to find a solution with the club.

And why do you quote some random idiot on twitter who isn't even capable of translating very short news articles? It's really beyond me, you can't seriously believe that is valid information?

Did Bild report something about Bayern switching to Iturraspe now and Benatia's demands being too high etc.. ?

Bild have an article that's titled "Why the Benatia transfer MIGHT fail" but it's paid content.

Bild + might is usually just pure speculation tho.

I cant believe one of the best CB's in Europe is available and we let him slip through our fingers.

My concern is that was supposed to be the plan with Vidic and Rio – they were supposed to develop with them. But to my mind they haven't, at least not enough. Should we repeat the process? Isn't that the definition of madness?

In that case seeing as Vidic was the best CB in Europe betwene 2008 and 2012 maybe its more that they simply are not good enough to develop that far. You cant really have much better coaching at being a defender than with Vidic and Rio. Look at how Cahill turned from a decent defender into a top class one by being around Terry, it can have that effect, but you still have to have that ability.

Chelsea aren't in for him.

As far as I can infer no one is in for him other than Bayern, and they don't value him that highly.

Because of wages? That's what I read on twatter.
I don't know it takes a paid membership account to read more than the head line. But when Bild use the word "might" it's 99% pure speculation or even straight up BS, so the article will have little value anyway.

In that case seeing as Vidic was the best CB in Europe betwene 2008 and 2012 maybe its more that they simply are not good enough to develop that far. You cant really have much better coaching at being a defender than with Vidic and Rio. Look at how Cahill turned from a decent defender into a top class one by being around Terry, it can have that effect, but you still have to have that ability.

Yes that's exactly what I'm thinking. Though Evans with a top class enforcer type next to him might work – if he could stay fit. And I have high hopes for Blackett on the evidence so far.

I cant believe one of the best CB's in Europe is available and we let him slip through our fingers.

We have let loads of top players in this window do the same...fabregas...kroos...If any of these were even willing to come to us....

Good point, and shame on you for making me miss Vida :(

€4m net is a huge amount to pay a CB. I can't see them paying that if they wouldn't pay Kroos his wage demands.

Last edited:

You're overlooking a key point here. Cahill was given the opportunity to play alongside Terry in his favoured position, with Ivanovic nailing the RB position. The likes of Jones and Smalling have been frequently shunted into alien positions - Smalling at RB, for instance, reeks of absurdity.

In any case, it's a bit knee-jerk - Jones is 22 (6 years younger than Cahill), while Smalling is 24 (4 years younger) - let's see how they develop playing in their proper positions.

All that said, our injury epidemic means Jones is likely to be forced into midfield. All this positional movement is no good for development.

Cahill looked like a worldbeater because he played in the perfect defensive lineup. Many people who praise him at the moment, would eventually slaughter him, if he would have played for a less organised team. It has very little to do with development.

Gazette delo sport says, that bayern and Roma came to an agreement about the fee. They also say, that he is not going to play tonight against AEK Athen. lets see if he is in the squad.

We have let loads of top players in this window do the same...fabregas...kroos...If any of these were even willing to come to us....
I have absolute faith in LVG, but I would love to know why he apparently had no interest in bringing Kroos and/or Fabregas to United.

I have absolute faith in LVG, but I would love to know why he apparently had no interest in bringing Kroos and/or Fabregas to United.

I would find it very hard to believe we truly had no interest in either, I think LVG is good at sniffing out what their real intentions were, they would have not signed for us IMO.

They would have led Moyes on till deadline day.

I would find it very hard to believe we truly had no interest in either, I think LVG is good at sniffing out what their real intentions were, they would have not signed for us IMO.

They would have led Moyes on till deadline day.
I do get the feeling that LVG is covering a bit for Woodward, at least in public. The whole 'last week I was an angel, and now I am the devil' is kind of evidence of this, IMO, as I haven't seen many blame him for our transfer inactivity.

Perhaps as you suggest, he knew that we'd have no chance with either, and was protecting Woodward from himself.

This is the Transfer Forum. This is no place for valid information. It's for gifs and muppets talking about their genitals.

This page lacks gifs and dicks, so I'll assume nothing is happening.

http://soccerlens.com/benatias-head-turned-manchester-united-meeting/150086/

Reports that Benatia's trying to force his way out of Roma now.

As much as I'd love some of the other names we're being linked with, I think bringing in a top class CB could make or break our season.

No point having all the wingers and strikers in the world, if we're just going to keep shipping goals.

Indeed. It's a close call between what our priorities should be, but I'd have Vidal first, then Benatia, then Di Maria last.

We have enough attacking talent in our team. But we really lack world class players in midfield and defence.

http://soccerlens.com/benatias-head-turned-manchester-united-meeting/150086/

Reports that Benatia's trying to force his way out of Roma now.

As much as I'd love some of the other names we're being linked with, I think bringing in a top class CB could make or break our season.

No point having all the wingers and strikers in the world, if we're just going to keep shipping goals.

Benatia is the closest thing out there to a Vidic replacement that is available at the moment.
If Roma want 40m for him we should pay it, he could be the difference in winning back the title.

Benatia is the closest thing out there to a Vidic replacement that is available at the moment.
If Roma want 40m for him we should pay it, he could be the difference in winning back the title.
We aint going to win the title this season for sure. I can put money on that. We need to sort out our midfield first.

We aint going to win the title this season for sure. I can put money on that. We need to sort out our midfield first.

He would at least enable us to have a solid chance of reaching top 4 then.
Either way, we need a quality senior CB.

If Bayern don't want too pay it, we should. He's better than any defender we could sign.

Desperate times and all. We can't get Hummels or Varane, Laporte has signed a new contract and won't leave either. He'd be the best option for a top bracket player.

With Bayern dilly dallying over this deal and trying to bargain Roma into a €25m deal which is frankly outrageous for a player of his quality we should just step it up, offer €35m and be done with it while we're at it. :)

With Bayern dilly dallying over this deal and trying to bargain Roma into a €25m deal which is frankly outrageous for a player of his quality we should just step it up, offer €35m and be done with it while we're at it. :)
We're in the market for a CB so I wouldn't be surprised if we've at least contacted Roma about him.

I'd honestly worry though if we signed him as it'd most likely mean we were going to switch to 352 permanently (can't see us playing a 2-man defence with 8 players) and I can't see this team being at its best in that formation. We'd probably use Di Maria as a wing back if it came to that.

:lol:

So over the weekend we've gone from 'agreed terms with the player, but don't want to pay up to what Roma want to have' on Friday to 'agreed a fee with Roma, but won't pay 8m a year in wages to the player' to 'everything looks done' yesterday. And today, well reset and repeat, let's start the cycle again?

Status
Not open for further replies.