Mehdi Benatia | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they didn't apologize and the reports from Germany are accurate and he is off to Bayern?

Schweinsteigers injury is also worse than initially reported. There is a statement from new technical director Reschke that after that and Martinez, Bayern will "definitely act on the transfer market".

I find a video report on their website about Bayern being "close to signing Benatia", another article collecting some tweets and other 2nd hand stuff. It also said that "representatives" from Bayern were already in Rome. On the other hand, Reschke was seen in Leverkusen on sunday.

"Bild" and "Sportbild" are trash tabloids, but they are extremely well connected to many of the clubs, especially to Bayern. They will exaggerate and try to make a story from harmless remarks, but not out of completely thin air.

I seem to remember there being quotes by Benatia a year or two ago where he was basically begging United to come in for him. Declaring his fandom and such.

So basically English and Italian sources say he is closer to United and German sources hes going to be a Bayern player. Time will tell.

Just to make it clear, Manchester United and Louis Van Gaal showed during this transfer window that we'll go for the 5th option everytime, on every target

Benatia was one of the best defender of Italy last year, maybe on the top 10 in Europe, and he's a target far too unreachable for us

We'll have to go for Marcos Rojo an absolute unknown player from Sporting, who were awful at the World Cup to try to boost our defense

If we can't sign Rojo, we'll never have Benatia.

Just to make it clear, Manchester United and Louis Van Gaal showed during this transfer window that we'll go for the 5th option everytime, on every target

Benatia was one of the best defender of Italy last year, maybe on the top 10 in Europe, and he's a target far too unreachable for us

We'll have to go for Marcos Rojo an absolute unknown player from Sporting, who were awful at the World Cup to try to boost our defense

Just to make it clear, you don't have a clue what goes on behind closed doors at OT. If you believe everything in read in the press then you are going to continue under your black cloud. Talking about going for 5th options when we don't even know what our 1st option is just muppet BS.

what utter rubbish, weather or not we are in Europe, United is one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Do you have inside information about who we are going for? or are you just going of what is put in the papers? just how many fo these players have we bid for ?
The only thing clear about your post is that you read and believe far to much printed in the papers.

I seem to remember there being quotes by Benatia a year or two ago where he was basically begging United to come in for him. Declaring his fandom and such.

On first page he hints the premier league would only entice him away from Italy

Last edited:

What ?

what utter rubbish, weather or not we are in Europe, United is one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Whilst true, during an apparent period of stagnation, the length of which is potentially longer than we all hope, with no Champions League football to offer together with poor performances week after week for all the world (and potential transfer targets) to see, we are very much a far less attractive option to many of the top foreign players than we like to think we are, in my opinion.

Whilst true, during an apparent period of stagnation, the length of which is potentially longer than we all hope, with no Champions League football to offer together with poor performances week after week for all the world (and potential transfer targets) to see, we are very much a far less attractive option to many of the top foreign players than we like to think we are, in my opinion.
I can accept you statement, but at the moment is is only 1 season with no CL and with a couple of decent players, I feel it will only be the one season.

Just like Thiago last season if Bayern are in for him we have no chance.

Just like Thiago last season if Bayern are in for him we have no chance.
Depends on whether we are willing to go the distance like City were when they didn't have CL football to offer. Do you think Bayern would wish to top a £150k/wk offer and make him one of their highest paid players when he is, to them, only an emergency signing ? If we offer him and Di Maria a high enough wage we will have them and then we can balance out the finances i the long term by getting rid of all the deadwood and replacing them with low earners like Rojo, Blind and Clasie.
Bayern are an attractive prospect but at least give him something to think about, take it to £170k and see whether he loves them enough to forego £10k - £30k every week. We have the space on the wage bill and we can open up some more. It's too much but we are in a desperate situation so we should not leave any stone unturned.

Depends on whether we are willing to go the distance like City were when they didn't have CL football to offer. Do you think Bayern would wish to top a £150k/wk offer and make him one of their highest paid players when he is, to them, only an emergency signing ? If we offer him and Di Maria a high enough wage we will have them and then we can balance out the finances i the long term by getting rid of all the deadwood and replacing them with low earners like Rojo, Blind and Clasie.
Bayern are an attractive prospect but at least give him something to think about, take it to £170k and see whether he loves them enough to forego £10k - £30k every week. We have the space on the wage bill and we can open up some more. It's too much but we are in a desperate situation so we should not leave any stone unturned.

The problem is that much of your deadwood are on high wages and won't be willing to accept any move that involves a cut. And the number of clubs that will be able and willing to pay them such wages is almost vanishingly small.

We can blow Bayern out the water in terms of transfer fee and wages.

I wouldn't blame him if he goes there though. What I will blame is that we had all summer to get him. He didn't even play in the World Cup.

Mourinho did say he wasn't interested, and his side is already over the foreign player cap, so I imagine it's between us and Bayern? Bayern are definitely the more attractive outfit but we can offer stronger personal terms.

The problem is that much of your deadwood are on high wages and won't be willing to accept any move that involves a cut. And the number of clubs that will be able and willing to pay them such wages is almost vanishingly small.
Right now we have the financial space to accommodate a couple of high earners since we lost Rio, Vidic, Evra and Giggs plus Hernandez is most likely to find an outright buyer, easily. The problem players are Nani, Anderson, Fellaini and Young, Anderson's contract expires next summer so he is insignificant in the long run so that leaves Nani and Fellaini since it appears we still have use for Young.

I can accept you statement, but at the moment is is only 1 season with no CL and with a couple of decent players, I feel it will only be the one season.

I can accept your optimism. I am more pessimistic however. I see a minimum of 3 years needed to turn us around.

I can accept your optimism. I am more pessimistic however. I see a minimum of 3 years needed to turn us around.
Right now we are in a better state than Arsenal were when we put eight past them, who then needed a couple of panic buys inside three days, to rescue their season and eventually see off a strong Spurs side for a third place finish. Granted the league is now more competitive but if we sign Di Maria, Benatia and a low cost DM don't be surprised if we stabilize and force our way into the title equation in April. What we need right now is to make the necessary signings.

Right now we are in a better state than Arsenal were when we put eight past them who needed a couple of panic buys inside three days to rescue their season and eventually see off a strong Spurs side for a third place finish. Granted the league is now more competitive but if we sign Di Maria, Benatia and a low cost DM don't be surprised if we stabilize and force our way into the title equation in April. What we need right now is to make the necessary signings.

We're in a better state than Arsenal? Are you serious?

EDIT: didn't actually read the full post!

Mourinho did say he wasn't interested, and his side is already over the foreign player cap, so I imagine it's between us and Bayern? Bayern are definitely the more attractive outfit but we can offer stronger personal terms.

Jose can be liberal with the truth though... plus he is not stupid when it comes to transfers - for example he wont go around saying he has a massive transfer fund and can break the world record transfer fee if he wants (like a certain united executive).

If they wanted him that badly they could easily loan out zouma or replace a squad player like schwarzer or mikel with an english squad player

they may even have established players like torres or chech leave before the end of August so I certainly wouldn't count Chelsea out of it at the moment and the lure of London and CL football may prove difficult for us to compete against as I imagine both teams could easily match his wage demands.

Plus as you say Bayern would certainly be attractive - to pretty much any player and could we really offer much stronger personal terms than them?
http://www.bavarianfootballworks.co...alary-considerations-and-extending-toni-kroos
http://www.tsmplug.com/football/bayern-munich-player-salaries-2014/
what would we pay him... £100k per week - that would certainly seem to fit comfortably in bayerns pay structure, even £120k or more wouldnt appear to be a massive problem for them - so I cant see us blowing that out by such a massive amount it would outweigh cl football and playing in arguably the best team in the world

Right now we are in a better state than Arsenal were when we put eight past them, who then needed a couple of panic buys inside three days, to rescue their season and eventually see off a strong Spurs side for a third place finish. Granted the league is now more competitive but if we sign Di Maria, Benatia and a low cost DM don't be surprised if we stabilize and force our way into the title equation in April. What we need right now is to make the necessary signings.

And if we do not make those necessary signings as a club we probably dont deserve top 4....and the lack of ambition the club is showing presently will only make it even harder to attract anyone of note in the coming windows. Vicious circle.....

And if we do not make those necessary signings as a club we probably dont deserve top 4....and the lack of ambition the club is showing presently will only make it even harder to attract anyone of note in the coming windows. Vicious circle.....
Couldn't agree more, this window could be the second most important window in our recent history. Well we messed up the most important last year both with allowing Gill to go along with Sir Alex, appointing Moyes to replace SAF and the chain of disasters that followed. If this continues to be as disastrous then the vicious spiral could accelerate our decline.

I thought it's been proven that they're the same paper.

They're two different papers from the same publisher (Axel Springer, incidentally my employer). They have nothing to do with each other. One is a daily newspaper and the other is one of the two big weekly sports magazines (the other being Kicker). The editorial staffs are not connected at all. And while the newspaper is comparable to the Sun (I think?), the sports magazine is quite credible when it comes to... well sports. :)

And this may come too late... sorry about that. :)

They're two different papers from the same publisher (Axel Springer, incidentally my employer). They have nothing to do with each other. One is a daily newspaper and the other is one of the two big weekly sports magazines (the other being Kicker). The editorial staffs are not connected at all. And while the newspaper is comparable to the Sun (I think?), the sports magazine is quite credible when it comes to... well sports. :)

It's the Sun of german standards (but not as bad), yes. But in terms of sports Bild is, in regards to Bayern and Dortmund and Schalke, very reliable. They have such a huge staff and connections, sometimes for decades, to highest officials in german football, it's insane. And they do share informations and such things with SportBild.

Benatia and Smalling would look great for partnership. Though I'm still not sure with the current Serie A defenders to play in EPL. But we might should get this guy instead of Rojo.
I'm assuming Evans and Rafael will missed a lot of games due of injury prone.

Jones - Smalling - Benatia - Shaw
Not a fans of 3 in the back.

You can't be serious?

What are you taking about? Sporting were awful at the WC?

As an aside Rojo was in many peoples team of the tournament?

What are you taking about? Sporting were awful at the WC?

As an aside Rojo was in many peoples team of the tournament?
He has a point. Sporting made no impression on me at the World Cup at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.