McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only reason McT is refusing to leave now because he knows he has a big fat signing bonus waiting for him around the corner, none of this "loves the badge" shit is real.

We desperately need to get rid this summer. We need the funds, and if we can sell him this summer, we lose him for a free just like we did Lingard.

He's an academy product and a valuable squad player. It is not shambolic if we decide against selling him for less than his market value.
He also is not good enough. Being unable to sell McTominay means losing him for free, essentially losing 23M for a year of his service.

That has a direct impact on our transfers : delaying Ugarte's transfer to next seasons budget -> meaning we will invest comparatively less in our midfield next season when Casemiro and Eriksen leave too.

Well I'm a bit disappointed as I felt he should be moving on along with Eriksen, but I guess he's here for another year or two. I was hoping there might be a chance of two midfielders incoming but I guess that was a long shot.

He'll be good for at very least 5 important goals this season. We'll be carrying more ineffective players than him in the squad this season.
Difference being, McTominay is the most sellable amongs them, and his contract is up next year, meaning he leaves for a free.

That has a direct impact on our transfer budget.

Those 5 goals are not worth 20+3.5M(fee+salary).

Difference being, McTominay is the most sellable amongs them, and his contract is up next year, meaning he leaves for a free.

I want him sold if a good offer comes, as do the club by the looks of it. I'm just not going to throw a tantrum if it doesn't happen.

But he is good enough for where we currently are. And he has contributed to it. Without replacement, he ought to be retained in my opinion.

Yes, he has been a big contribution to where the club currently is.

I want him sold if a good offer comes, as do the club by the looks of it. I'm just not going to throw a tantrum if it doesn't happen.
If youre looking for a pat on the back, you're not gonna get it, because that just means youre accepting a horrible decision.

We should have sold him last summer, when we also tried to play hardball. When will United learn that this only leads to players running down their contracts for us, and then leaving for free/peanuts. Its happened so many times, its frustating. Then you have fans wondering "oh gee, why do we have such terrible net spend"

Whatever little McT offers as a squad player is offset by the fee we will get for him this summer, which will enable us to buy a midfielder now, and not kick it down to next summer, when we need 2 more midfielders anyway. That's how good clubs operate.

Only reason McT is refusing to leave now because he knows he has a big fat signing bonus waiting for him around the corner, none of this "loves the badge" shit is real.

We desperately need to get rid this summer. We need the funds, and if we can sell him this summer, we lose him for a free just like we did Lingard.

Which is understandable. He may think that if he really impresses here he can get a renewal or sign a big contract elsewhere. There is a big risk too. One major injury and he may struggle to find a good contract.

We have an option to extend - he isn’t going to leave for a free next year. We’re also looking to sign Ugarte regardless of if Mctominay goes.

However, to help cheer you up Fulham backed away from the Mctominay deal because they sensed he wanted to go elsewhere. Napoli’s sporting director is in the country for talks and progress is being made. This is according to Whitwell.

We have an option to extend - he isn’t going to leave for a free next year. We’re also looking to sign Ugarte regardless of if Mctominay goes.

However, to help cheer you up Fulham backed away from the Mctominay deal because they sensed he wanted to go elsewhere. Napoli’s sporting director is in the country for talks and progress is being made. This is according to Whitwell.
Thanks I need it, I'm moaning too much I'm afraid :lol: Yeah really hope the Napoli deal goes through, though I dont trust Italian clubs.They will probably ask him to run down his contract, and offer us a terrible loan deal or something on deadline day, knowing it would get rejected.

The option to extend is there, but we're then gonna be stuck in the same situation we found ourselves with AWB, having to pay McT to leave the club.

And the Ugarte deal is turning into a loan with obligation rather than a pure buy this summer, which I'm not a fan of. And I suspect not being able to sell McT is a big reason why.

If we don't sell this summer but extend, will that not guarantee him a cut of the transfer fee next summer like AWB?

Our bargaining position will be worse next summer, as right now we effectively control McT for 2 more years. I don't see that as a massive issue though; he's worth something to us being on the roster this year. If we get one more year out of him and then sell him for £15M next summer, that's not so much worse than selling for £20M but losing control right now.
If we don’t need to sell to buy another midfielder, sure. Otherwise he’s wasting space for us to sign a priority position whilst being the only midfielder at the club we can make any sort of money on.

Also, we might get £15m selling him next season, but it will most likely be alongside a payoff as the Wan Bissaka deal set a precedent for.

I genuinely think that if we sign Ugarte, Mctominay is still an asset for us. Fir a while he was used too far back for what his skill set is. It's telling that the season he's played further forward that h has his best scoring season. If Mainoo need a rest Scott could be played in the pivot with ugarte, and with the way our full backs invert at times he's not needed to play a defensive role as much. He's a strong lad with decent feet, as he's shown a lot. He just struggles when he's given too much of a defensive role. Our defense is stronger now, the system is changing for the better and we'll be looking to keep more possession than last year. I'm not saying he's gonna be a starter but as a squad player in the system that I'm seeing we're progressing into, he will be a decent player to be able to call upon.

He'll be good for at very least 5 important goals this season. We'll be carrying more ineffective players than him in the squad this season.
We’re talking about a central midfielder. I don’t care about 5 important goals. We won’t “carry” a player as “ineffective” as him when it comes to passing a football or retaining the ball under pressure.

His value further up the field is lessened massively with the arrival of Zirkzee and the now fitness of Mount — both occupy similar positions and offer more.

I like McT but he’s certainly not a starter in ANY top 6 side. He tries really hard and can put the ball in the net but he does run around like a headless chicken a bit too much.

I still think he’s possibly been part of our worst midfield in PL history. Fred, McT, Pereira. Seeing any two of those on the same team sheet or alongside Lingard sent shudders of boredom before the game kicked off.

Be nice to see him get a fresh start where he can get regular football and hope he does well (except against us).

If youre looking for a pat on the back, you're not gonna get it, because that just means youre accepting a horrible decision.

We should have sold him last summer, when we also tried to play hardball. When will United learn that this only leads to players running down their contracts for us, and then leaving for free/peanuts. Its happened so many times, its frustating. Then you have fans wondering "oh gee, why do we have such terrible net spend"

Whatever little McT offers as a squad player is offset by the fee we will get for him this summer, which will enable us to buy a midfielder now, and not kick it down to next summer, when we need 2 more midfielders anyway. That's how good clubs operate.
This contradicts itself, you’re saying we have an awful net spend because we let players go for peanuts or let them leave for free but then you say we are wrong for hardballing negotiations to get better fees.

Shock horror, a guy is looking for his best interests. Players like McT are not the problem, he is obviously on reasonable wages. Our problem is big money transfer duds like Casemiro, Antony.

If we don't sell this summer but extend, will that not guarantee him a cut of the transfer fee next summer like AWB?
This last year clause guaranteeing transfer fee info was floated by Phil Brown who is far from credible and hasn't been corroborated by any of the credible sources in media but somehow it has become a fact here .

Wan Bissaka playing hardball and extracting money to leave is entirely different and doesn't mean every player would act similarly .

This contradicts itself, you’re saying we have an awful net spend because we let players go for peanuts or let them leave for free but then you say we are wrong for hardballing negotiations to get better fees.
Its not contradictory at all.

Selling for a good fee > selling for a bad fee > losing player on a free.

You should only hardball when you have other options, that's negotiation 101.

He’s pretty much has season after season, try looking it up before spouting your BS. Yeah and every single manager who has played him, during some of the worst football the club has churned out has been sacked for failure. That turned out well. Strange also why when he’s up for sale that he’s of such ‘quality’ that there’s only really the likes of Fulham interested in him. Bizarre that
If you’re changing from ‘always’ to ‘pretty much’ it seems you already have checked and found he has played in 2/3ds of the games the last six seasons despite having very few injuries. What you probably didn’t know is that he has started under half the games those six seasons. And then I’m omitting his debut season and his breakthrough season. Started less than half the games + ‘always a regular starter’ = BS.

And if you remember how it actually was, you’ll remember that he was not meant to be first choice for most of those periods. Pogba and Matic was, first under Mourinho and then Solskjær. Herrera and Fred was ahead of him several spells. Even Pereira at at time. Then Van De Beek was bought in, expensively, to partner Pogba. Two years ago, Casemiro and Eriksen was brought in, immediately becoming first choices. Fred again was ahead of him under Ten Hag. Last season Mount and Amrabat was brought in.

All these players have started seasons ahead of McTominay as midfield starters. Injuries and his performances has seen him claw himself to starts in 110 games out of the last 228 ones. This is the truth, not BS. ‘Always a regular starter’, ‘season after season’ is BS.

Is he a regular starter now, as you claimed? Hard to say, we have only played two official matches this season. He started neither. So maybe, on evidence, the poster you answered, who said he is a squad player, maybe he wasn’t so far off?

Point 2. You not being able to understand why Mourinho, Solskjær, Rangnik and Ten Hag has started McTominay 110 times and subbed him on many more, probably relates to them being immensely more knowledgeable about both McT and football than you. That they have only been able to get United two second spots, two third spots, four cup trofees and three lost finals has lead them to be sacked at United, yes, but it doesn’t change the fact that they are all, still, immensely more knowledgeable about football - and about McTominay - than you.

Shock horror, a guy is looking for his best interests. Players like McT are not the problem, he is obviously on reasonable wages. Our problem is big money transfer duds like Casemiro, Antony.
I dont mind McTominay looking for his interests, I advocate every player/employee should do that. That's why I suggested Kane down tools for Tottenham, which was a cotnroversial opinion here :lol:

What I'm saying is, United need to look out for their interests as well. Casemiro/Antony are problems yes, but selling them is difficult. But selling a homegrown player on low wages should be the easiest sell. We are fecking that up too.

Think the big issue with him is the valuation.

His valuation from other club is very low and United don't need to sell him for cheap when Chelsea can sell an academy graduate for 40M.

We should have sold him last year, true, but it didn't happened, and we shouldn't let him leave for 20M when he can clearly impact some games this season.

Unfortunately, it seems that the only two offers are from Galata with a low value, and from Napoli with only a loan...

calm down. If someone said to me, you can play for United for another season and then pocket £5 million yourself. Or leave now and get a fraction of that, I know which option I’d take.

Mad to think that any human should give up money to help a massive company make more money. United should take the £25 million and sell him to the club he wants to join.

Think about it this way, if we were rumoured to be buying 27 year old McTominay for £30 million, would there be a single person on this board happy with that?

On a personal level I hope he secures a move to Serie A, what a way to spend the latter part of your career playing in another top league in an amazing country.

At this stage I expect he'll be staying, even though I don't think that's really the best outcome for anyone.

This last year clause guaranteeing transfer fee info was floated by Phil Brown who is far from credible and hasn't been corroborated by any of the credible sources in media but somehow it has become a fact here .

Wan Bissaka playing hardball and extracting money to leave is entirely different and doesn't mean every player would act similarly .
Thanks, I thought it was a common thing we'd put into the agreement of the +1 option.

It’s possible but from his perspective if he went somewhere like Fulham how much would he play. Not in Europe, a lot of these teams field weakened teams in the Cups and they have ESR and Perreira in positions he wants to play. He wouldn’t last long in their starting eleven as a Palhinha replacement.

I’m sure he’s been told by Utd that he won’t play as much and they are trying to sell him but it’s not like we are stacked for options in midfield. We will play a lot more games and he’s only an injury away from starting. From his experience our midfield is a mess and he might have to experience it not being a mess and his minutes massively declining in order to be convinced to move on.

This was the last summer we could have made some cash on him. Shambolic if we cant sell him.

United made 15m on AWB and he was in his last contracted year.

McTom has a 1+1 contract so you are probably looking as 20-25m this summer or 15-18m next summer.

Those numbers are not going to make or break any future plans United have for the club/squad.

United made 15m on AWB and he was in his last contracted year.

McTom has a 1+1 contract so you are probably looking as 20-25m this summer or 15-18m next summer.

Those numbers are not going to make or break any future plans United have for the club/squad.
If we activate the +1, we will also have to pay him off, taking our profits down to ~10M.

This is why I have been so vocal about selling McT. It has a direct correlation to us being able to buy a #6, exactly as I feared.

How many in the "happy to keep him in the squad" are okay with him if that blocks us from getting Ugarte?

If we activate the +1, we will also have to pay him off, taking our profits down to ~10M.

This is why I have been so vocal about selling McT. It has a direct correlation to us being able to buy a #6, exactly as I feared.

How many in the "happy to keep him in the squad" are okay with him if that blocks us from getting Ugarte?

Ah that's a good point.

But still we are talking 5m-10m differences here, I don't think those numbers are ever going to cause United huge stress.

There's a difference between being up for sale and being open to sell though. In the former, the club actively wants to get rid of the player for one reason or another ( see Ugarte). In the latter, the club would consider an offer what they perceive as being too good to turn down for a player. For instance they think the 30 million they might get for the player outweigh the benefits of keeping him. But they might also consider that at 20 million, the benefits of keeping him outweigh the fee being offered. With McTominay, it's a case of the latter. If someone offers 30 million he'll go, otherwise he'll stay and make 40 plus appearances easily.

With Mainoo or say Bellingham or Vinicius at Real, the benefits of keeping the player outweigh any potential fee they might receive for them. Real could get 200 million for Bellingham, but they wouldn't find a player who would be better than him so no point selling him.

I think you're mistaken between being open to sell, being on sale and wanting to get rid of a player at all cost.

a- being open to sell. It usually comes a month prior to the transfer window. The idea is to try and lure the big buyers in. Unless someone comes in with a ridiculous bid then that the media interaction on him will die out very quickly (ex Rashford this season)
b- being for sale. That usually generate more interest then A and will remain consistent throughout the transfer window. The club will usually allow the player to finalize personal terms with other clubs as well but will not accept any ridiculous fees (ex McT, Osimhen, Lukaku)
c- wanting to get rid at all cost. This usually comes after a scandal or a break in relationship between club and player. In that case the club will listen to almost any offer thrown at them (ex Greenwood and Sancho last season)

McT is for sale. United had made it obvious that they'll listen to a fee of around 30m and I have a feeling that they'll go down to 25m at this point. If he was an A then then United would attach a silly price tag (70m-100m?) and would indirectly dare anyone to meet it.

The trouble seems to be that we seem to have a group of players on huge salaries and who are heading towards the end of their contract that seem determined to leave on their terms, ideally on a free next summer.

Choosing to believe that hack is a weird choice.

Rejected 30m last summer and 23m this summer.

With hindsight we're lucky we kept him last year as he saved us in quite a few games.

If he does the same this season then it's wise to reject 23m.

Personally since we've now signed Zirkzee I think he'll be used less, and it will probably prove silly to reject 23m considering he walks on a free in 12 months time.

This wasn't a clear no brainer decision either way, so time will tell if it was a good decision or not.

In that case, the two sales (for an equal price) would have exactly equal effects on PSR / FFP profitability. McT's would free up more money in year 1, while Sancho's would free up more in year 2. But the total impact is the same.

Once you realize the amortization fee is a sunk cost that we are going to incur whether we sell the player or not, the "homegrown players are pure profit" line is complete nonsense. Sancho's transfer fee we paid to BVB will be amortized absolutely no matter what we do. So all that matters is the cash we get in this next transfer and the saved wages. A £25M Sancho sale is worth exactly as much as a £25M McT sale if their wages were the same. Since Sancho's wages are higher, in reality it's actually much more beneficial to us to sell Sancho.
Yes but organisations can be very short sighted in regards to their books. Selling McTominay helps way more for buying players this window.

Just a shitty situation which is not McTominay's fault. Don't blame him for wanting to stay. Would rather we get rid of Eriksen than McTominay if that also frees up enough room in the squad / finances to sign a #6 for example.

I don’t get why players should sacrifice their earnings for a club who themselves would show no loyalty if their performances fall off.

I am the biggest United fan but if I were in McTominay’s position I would also look to run down my contract and get a signing bonus. It’s not his job to make United’s accounts better.

Status
Not open for further replies.