McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people defending mctominay and wanting to keep him are definitely people who judge footballers off stats alone.

Forget his 10 goals, eye test alone watching him should tell you he doesn't have the ability to play for a top 4 club as a starting central midfielder.

30 million to invest on a more suitable starter would be good business.
Goals aren't just stats, they are points.

Sometimes going more direct in games is a good option to have.

While McTominay is not the most technical player around, he's nowhere near as limited as is being implied.

I don't feel it's imperative that we keep him, but he should not be allowed to leave for a song like we're glad to be rid of him. He's a useful player.

Last edited:
He is in the right set up. But I agree with letting him go for £30m and holding out for his uppermost value. I don’t agree with those so keen to see the back of him for peanuts
No he’s not. He is nowhere near good enough for a club that has top 4 aspirations. Ask yourself why is it only a club like Fulham that is interested in him?

Think if he's kept he should be at centre half, has all the attributes to play there
Except composure, intelligence, awareness, technical ability, pace.

What you probably meant to say was he’s big, brave and can get his head on things.

Could you imagine playing out from the back with McT…oh my days

Can’t understand anyone even slightly debating whether we should keep McTominay. If we receive a £25m+ bid we simply have to take it IMO.

Yes, he’s homegrown and loves the club.
Yes, he’s a good trainer and professional.
Yes, he can score the odd goal.

But

He doesn’t suit the way we want or should be aspiring to play.
He’s only really been a notable goal scorer last season.
He arguably prohibits our no.9 by taking up their positions too much.
He’s very much a squad player and surplus to requirements.
He can fetch us a decent fee as he’s not on stupid wages.
He will be pure profit and alone fund probably two much needed signings.

It’s sad to see him go, but he’s clearly not starter material for us and he obvious has an appetite to leave and be a true first teamer elsewhere. It’s not like we’re doing a Chelsea purely seeing academy talents as profitable assets and selling them all to get around FFP. Scott has had his fair shot here and I’m sure he feels it’s probably time for a new challenge, unlike what Chelsea seem to be doing with Chalobah, Gallagher, and previously Mount.

I’m sure our priority was to sell Casemiro and Eriksen first but that interest seems to be on ice for now (I actually expect interest to pick up near the end of the window), and we need the new additions to the squad now before the season kicks off.

The people defending mctominay and wanting to keep him are definitely people who judge footballers off stats alone.

Forget his 10 goals, eye test alone watching him should tell you he doesn't have the ability to play for a top 4 club as a starting central midfielder.

30 million to invest on a more suitable starter would be good business.
You can hate stats all you want, but points dont lie. He was the difference of 10-15 points and the difference in many games last season. Not many are claiming he should be a starter - he’s just a great squad player to have for goals. Hard to get the same output for 25m these days.

The news about Marseille wanting to sign Andreas Pereira is starting to gather pace and that could be very good news for this deal. It was difficult to see how Scott and Andreas both fit into the Fulham midfield so this would both clear the way for a starting role for Scott and also provide the funds for Fulham to potentially increase their offer. I also think we have a small sell on percentage with Andreas so it could be even more beneficial.

The club didn't try very hard to keep Fred, who was a considerably better player. It's time for McTom to follow the PNeville/Butt route and move on to develop his career.

Except composure, intelligence, awareness, technical ability, pace.

What you probably meant to say was he’s big, brave and can get his head on things.

Could you imagine playing out from the back with McT…oh my days
Think he's better than that, anyone who can play in midfield will find centre half much easier

The club didn't try very hard to keep Fred, who was a considerably better player. It's time for McTom to follow the PNeville/Butt route and move on to develop his career.
Butt was an odd one really, peaked quite early between 19-24, was keeping Scholes out of the team on merit for long periods, but a few injuries meant he lost a bit of pace and agility and he regressed. At his best he would comfortably have walked into the Utd midfield of the last 10 years.

A lot of fans seem to want rid but I think it’s a bit shortsighted to want a squad full of small technical players. McTominay has a fairly unique skill set that allows him to affect both boxes.

I think he’d be much more effective in a team without Bruno Fernandes, as the most attacking 8 in a midfield 3. We will miss his ability to defend our box to close out games and I can see why Ten Hag likes him.

Why are we as a fanbase in such a rush to sell players on the cheap and pay whatever fee other clubs and players want? And then we complain about it later. We’re in this restricted financial situation because of exactly that, complete incompetence at the top of the club. Hold out for £30m, a more than fair value for a player at his peak with two years left, off the back of his best ever season for club and country. It will cost us as much if not more to upgrade on him.
This is a bit of a strawman. I haven’t seen a single person saying we should just fill our whole squad with small technical players.

Most people who are in favour of selling him simply recognize that we desperately need funds to improve our starting 11, and selling a squad player who has pretty obvious limitations whose sale will go in the books as pure profit from an FFP standpoint makes a lot of sense.

As for having skills that affect both boxes, in some aspects that is also true in a negative sense with McTominay. He often lacks the defensive awareness, positioning and tracking and that can sometimes leave our back 4 exposed. His lack of touch, passing and creativity also hampers our attacking interplay going forward. Some people think his knack of popping up with goals adequately compensates for those deficiencies, but many of us don’t.

I mean it's the same for Fred, McT and AWB. Players did their job and were part of the team, warts and all. I don't mind any of them, have sympathy in fact. But they're in the last year of their contract, so the question is "do you like them to the point you'd give them an extension, higher wages, and not improve the position ?"

It's not even certain McTominay can repeat his ransom of goals, arguably if the team works better we'll rely less on him pulling an Holy Fellaini. He's limited and he probably will be stuck to playing utility or super sub at best here. He can get a raise & possibly more minutes (which he deserves) in another side and the profit from the sale is good for MU.

It is insult to make that bid for McTominay. We should mention Rice and Caicedo and tell them how it is. He is not worse. Not that I expect near 100m but he should not be sold like he was a championship player. Even Smith Rowe who played as much as I have went for more.

With Hojilund injured for 6 weeks, I almost feel Mctomminay is one of the luckiest men in world football at the moment. We'll keep him on the basis that he can play an advanced role and score the odd goal.

Unless he genuinely wants to leave to start every game I’d prefer almost any other avenue of generating money to spend.

For all his limitations he’s won us so many points off the bench the past couple seasons and the ease with which some fans are writing off an academy player who made it past 250 appearances for United is insane. There’s definitely something to be said about keeping some homegrown United DNA in the squad.

It is insult to make that bid for McTominay. We should mention Rice and Caicedo and tell them how it is. He is not worse. Not that I expect near 100m but he should not be sold like he was a championship player. Even Smith Rowe who played as much as I have went for more.
Mctominay is not worse than Caicedo and Rice?

Unless he genuinely wants to leave to start every game I’d prefer almost any other avenue of generating money to spend.

For all his limitations he’s won us so many points off the bench the past couple seasons and the ease with which some fans are writing off an academy player who made it past 250 appearances for United is insane. There’s definitely something to be said about keeping some homegrown United DNA in the squad.

We’re okay for “homegrown DNA.” Mainoo, Evans, Rashford, Collyer are all getting game time. Shaw has played here for 10 years, Dalot, since he was 18. McTominay has been fortunate to have a good career at United, not the other way round. Take the money, and everyone wins.

Please sell. For a decent fee circa £25m. Wish him the best of luck if so. Academy graduate. Decent enough squad player but we need to lift our bottom level. Hopefully we can sell a few others as well.

McT ain't no DM, we'll buy one with the money his sale generates.
That's the point, we are not getting new DM without selling one of our midfielder and from the reports Casemiro is going nowhere. Choice is simple to either have Mctominay in the squad and start with Casemiro or improve the first XI by selling a player who can generate decent fee and doesn't get in our best eleven.

With Hojilund injured for 6 weeks, I almost feel Mctomminay is one of the luckiest men in world football at the moment. We'll keep him on the basis that he can play an advanced role and score the odd goal.

You mean because he’s one of our best players at doing the latter points…a good DM won’t help us score the goals.

Poor comparison IMO. Those three were all very good players with well established positions who brought balance to our squad. Scott is not. He’s not an effective DM or CM (miles way from what Butt brought to those roles) and failing to sell him will hinder our ability to purchase an effective DM or CM, which we desperately need in order to progress as a team. His main use now is as an impact sub and someone who can maybe grab a goal late in a game, but we have already spent money on or promoted more creative players who can fill those positions further forward.

And when so few clubs seem interested in buying him at the price we value him at, that is not a position of particular strength. If we can get anything around the £25 mark for him we should bite their hand off and move on with the rebuilding project.

So not to clutter up the tweet thread.

I'm glad you agree with me then that 25m is an acceptable fee, which is what I've said.
And again, if you read my posts in that thread, I'm not comparing the quality of the players, just their status in the squad.

McTominay is averaging more league games than Nicky Butt did in the same amount of time, so you could almost say he's been more important to us than Butt was.
Yes I know, the squad back then was far stronger, and I agree, and yes, Butt was a better player than McTominay, that I can also agree on.

But that was United then, and this is United now.
McTominay still has a value which should be met. Selling him too cheaply may mean we cant get the player we actually want, so we have to hold out for what we think is fair. My point all along. Too many people want to get rid of him, and don't care about the fee, but thats not how this works.

I'm convinced Fulham, or somebody will pay the money, and in that case, United, Ineos, has been right to reject these lower bids all along, But fans still jump on the ACCEPT IT, ACCEPT IT, train.

I'd love to know their ebay accounts so I can low ball them, they'd surely jump all over my bids.... oh wait, thats their money though, so I'm guessing thats different

So not to clutter up the tweet thread.

I'm glad you agree with me then that 25m is an acceptable fee, which is what I've said.
And again, if you read my posts in that thread, I'm not comparing the quality of the players, just their status in the squad.

McTominay is averaging more league games than Nicky Butt did in the same amount of time, so you could almost say he's been more important to us than Butt was.
Yes I know, the squad back then was far stronger, and I agree, and yes, Butt was a better player than McTominay, that I can also agree on.

But that was United then, and this is United now.
McTominay still has a value which should be met. Selling him too cheaply may mean we cant get the player we actually want, so we have to hold out for what we think is fair. My point all along. Too many people want to get rid of him, and don't care about the fee, but thats not how this works.

I'm convinced Fulham, or somebody will pay the money, and in that case, United, Ineos, has been right to reject these lower bids all along, But fans still jump on the ACCEPT IT, ACCEPT IT, train.

I'd love to know their ebay accounts so I can low ball them, they'd surely jump all over my bids.... oh wait, thats their money though, so I'm guessing thats different

I broadly agree with most of that. I think the fear with many fans is that we won’t end up selling him and others because we’re quibbling over a few million, which may prove short sighted when we look at how major and urgent the task of rebuilding our squad is. We’ve struggled to move on the deadwood for the past few seasons but doing so is an absolute prerequisite for building a better and more balanced squad.

For example, we rejected a bid of £30 million for McTominay last summer and many were convinced we should and would be able to get more for him if we held out. In the end the reality was that the interest just wasn’t there, and now we’re getting bids for £10 million less. There are just as many fans overvaluing our players versus undervaluing them in these discussions, IMO.

I broadly agree with most of that. I think the fear with many fans is that we won’t end up selling him and others because we’re quibbling over a few million, which may prove short sighted when we look at how major and urgent the task of rebuilding our squad is. We’ve struggled to move on the deadwood for the past few seasons but doing so is an absolute prerequisite for building a better and more balanced squad.

For example, we rejected a bid of £30 million for McTominay last summer and many were convinced we should and would be able to get more for him if we held out. In the end the reality was that the interest just wasn’t there, and now we’re getting bids for £10 million less. There are just as many fans overvaluing our players versus undervaluing them in these discussions, IMO.
To be fair. The people in charge last year didn’t have a clue from start to finish.

Ineos so far seem very competent in what they’re doing

I mean it's the same for Fred, McT and AWB. Players did their job and were part of the team, warts and all. I don't mind any of them, have sympathy in fact. But they're in the last year of their contract, so the question is "do you like them to the point you'd give them an extension, higher wages, and not improve the position ?"

It's not even certain McTominay can repeat his ransom of goals, arguably if the team works better we'll rely less on him pulling an Holy Fellaini. He's limited and he probably will be stuck to playing utility or super sub at best here. He can get a raise & possibly more minutes (which he deserves) in another side and the profit from the sale is good for MU.

I agree, I’m not saying we should, but at least it’s an option. I’m only arguing for his positive traits because I feel he’s been unfairly dismissed by much of our fanbase. He’s a good squad player with good qualities that we might miss at certain points in the season. I think we should sell, but I’d certainly want closer to £30m than £20m. Ultimately, we need a better #6 for the first.team so if this is the only way to raise the funds, so be

You mean because he’s one of our best players at doing the latter points…a good DM won’t help us score the goals.
This myth about him being a goal scorer is just that. He’s had one season when he scored a few and one only. Even then the return to wasn’t all that great. The way some talk on here you’d think he was peak Lampard getting 20+ a season every season. There’s a reason why there is so little interest in him from other clubs and those that are interested in him only seem to value him at £20m max. He’s a very poor player with a mediocre level of ability as a footballer. We would be well rid of him for whatever we can get. We will get literally nowhere with him continuing to stink up the midfield every single week.

Needs to sack his agent if the only bites he's getting are from Turkey

Needs to sack his agent if the only bites he's getting are from Turkey

Says it all about the player though. West Ham, Fulham, Galatasaray, Fenerbache he’s bang average with mid level clubs after him yet he’d play 30 odd games for United, he should have been sold years ago it’s been blatant for so long he’s not good enough

Awful player.

Says it all about the player though. West Ham, Fulham, Galatasaray, Fenerbache he’s bang average with mid level clubs after him yet he’d play 30 odd games for United, he should have been sold years ago it’s been blatant for so long he’s not good enough

Awful player.
For someone who's supposedly very good, it's amazing to see the level of club that's showing interest in him.

It's almost like he's not actually that highly rated outside of the Caf.

Fulham have had two bids rejected for him already and may return with a third.

You're right.

Just find it strange that there are no other competing bids from other EPL clubs around Fulham's level, for a proven (decent) goalscoring midfielder

He scores goals at clutch moments, he's settled in the country, experienced enough at the highest levels for club & country, prime age, not on obscene wages & selling club is notorious for letting go at a steal usually.

Should have a host of buyers & one of our easier sales, yet here we are

For someone who's supposedly very good, it's amazing to see the level of club that's showing interest in him.

It's almost like he's not actually that highly rated outside of the Caf.
He’s not highly rated on the Caf.

It’s only a few vocal ones who went overboard with him. If you put out a poll easily 70-80% would want him benched or sold, not anywhere near the first XI.

I'd take McTominay over Casemiro and Mount any day of the week. Get rid of those that *aren't* contributing before we get rid of someone who actually scores goals for the team and can play for 90 minutes at a high tempo that is also moving into his prime years.

Modern day Fletcher when it comes to the fans, honestly. Berated for years when he was actually doing us a solid. Just starting to get into the fans' good books and now we're selling him? Textbook Post-Fergie United.
Selling McTominay now would actually be the opposite of that. We've traditionally held onto players for so long in the faint hope they *might* amount to something that any value they may hold completely diminishes. We've already made that mistake last summer when we rejected the £30m bid from West Ham, now Fulham are looking to come in with a lower offer.

10 goals in all competitions is McTominay's peak contribution in 7 and a bit seasons as a United player. He doesn't help us control games and we need players who can. We shouldn't be getting bogged down in debates of who should be sold first between him, Casemiro or whoever when none of them are good enough to play for us. Just get them gone and hopefully re-invest that money in some players who are more suitable for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.