Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't you be worried if de Ligt chooses United, knowing that's he's likely only coming for the money and otherwise would really prefer to be playing for Barca in the CL?

No. Why would we be?

This shite is getting tiresome. If he wants to sign for Barcelona he can. They want him.

If he’s prepared to sign for United for more money he’s obviously not that bothered about Barcelona.

Won't you be worried if de Ligt chooses United, knowing that's he's likely only coming for the money and otherwise would really prefer to be playing for Barca in the CL?
Given the circumstances, I don't think any player would actually prefer to play for us if he had to choose between us and a CL club.

Money is the only thing we got to offer these days.

Why would we be worried about Barca not being able to afford a player?
Utd are a massive club.absolutely huge to the point that lack of CL football doesn't seem to hinder our chances of signing players at all.
If we do sign him then that would be both he and Pogna signed after finishing sixth, both times fighting off the Spanish big two.
We are not an oil club, we are an institution.

Please.
Manchester United is still Manchester United. The attraction is still there whether you like it or not :)

And also top tier footballers are no different than any other careerist. They may well love the idea of certain romantic clubs like Barca and United but hey, if they can combine the romance and the money then they get the best of both worlds, materialism and idealism in one !!!

I mean Pochettino is a great guy, brilliant manager too, but realistically, without him who in their right mind is going to want to sign for Spurs.
So I'd rein it in a little if I were you on the trolling that footballers only want to sign for United for money.

Think about it.

Last edited:
I'm really curious as of how many of you genuinely believe he would come here. I would love if I was proved wrong but I think there's a 0% chance he will end up here. Considering the clubs that are in for him I can't see why he would ever opt for us unless he is interested of going to the club that will offer him the highest wage package which will 100% be us.

We are probably doing our damnedest to sign this lad, could be the bench mark for other significant signings if we do get him. Ready made captain, and the start of developing a strong spine to the team. A top RB, CM and striker then required.

Won’t you be worried when most of your best players leave in the next year or two because you won’t pay them fair market wages.

I asked a legitimate question, since, all things being equal, it's reasonable to suppose that most players would regard playing for Barca in the CL as being at the top, or very near the top, of their dream aspirations.

Your comments don't address this at all (besides being the same old stuff that's trotted out every summer).

He’s never said he has a preference for Barca as far as i’m aware, in fact has been a bit dismissive of the Spanish league. Still don’t believe he’s coming here anyway, but the Premier League is a massive draw for many players. Still don’t get the attraction of having to play in the CL, the EPL is just as competitive with a big game against a top 6 side every few weeks. Not the case in many other leagues where you can name the winner before the season starts. One year out of the CL won’t harm any player, harms the clubs more imo.

As much as I want him here it’s crazy if we’re offering a 19/20 year old kid £200-£250k a week. When will we learn?

If Barca really do want Martinez to take over, De Ligt should run a mile. Martinez is to defending what Jose was to joy.

Also, we have to buy other defenders. It’s going to be another Pogba situation if we expect a talented player like De Ligt to perform and develop alongside Jones, Young etc.

Don’t know why I’m talking like we’re actually getting him mind, just thinking out loud :lol:

As much as I want him here it’s crazy if we’re offering a 19/20 year old kid £200-£250k a week. When will we learn?
It is not crazy. You do it for certain types of signings.

What is the lesson to be learned btw? I've argued against big wages for players that aren't in demand. Lingard for example was in no danger of leaving, and if he had left it would be to clubs who would not give him the same wages. This is not one of those situations. I'm assuming the lesson you're talking about is in regards to mercenaries. However, what does that make of City? It's one of those "playing for the shirt" nonsense narratives that don't make any sense once some thought is put into the discussion.

If those wages mean we would have the slightest chance of getting him then hell if I care. This guy alone would take our backline to another level.

He'll be worth it.

Ideally we do want to cut the gap between us and the top 2 too, so we will have to pay over the odds in wages to attract one or two big talents.

I wonder if the stories of us denying interest (if true), are us not wanting to show how much we’re willing to spend on a CB.

If we made it known that we’re willing to break the bank for DeLigt, and he goes somewhere else it could really hurt us in negotiations for other targets!

Status
Not open for further replies.