Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I find hilarious is Romero also claimed Roberto Martinez is a front runner for the Barcelona job didn't he? :lol: If true that will be very fun to watch.

What I find hilarious is Romero also claimed Roberto Martinez is a front runner for the Barcelona job didn't he? :lol: If true that will be very fun to watch.
Messi FC doesn't need a coach right. Just pass the ball to Messi.

~250k sounds reasonable, it's what I've said we're probably offering all along. He'll be our best defender right away. We've been dicking around a long time since Rio and Vidic left. Time for a new Rio, just that this lad is ahead of his years.

It would be good to get another centre back if we do pull this one off, without trying to sound too greedy :nervous:

So many Muppet suicides incoming when he inevitably chooses Barca over us.

Assuming we're even in for him, which we might not be.

So many Muppet suicides incoming when he inevitably chooses Barca over us.

Assuming we're even in for him, which we might not be.

Must be tough when Raoila gives you a call, do you have a chancr to get a top player or is he using you.

There's still this thing about De Jong getting about 300k and De Ligt being offered half that. Also said Nike are paying half. Whatever the case De Ligt will want something similar to his friend.

Despite being more than club, the sporting choice of ballbag and De Jong saying Barca is his dream, Barca still had to cough this money up for De Jong to beat PSG and City. The have the highest wage bill but don't pay the defenders much.

There's still this thing about De Jong getting about 300k and De Ligt being offered half that. Also said Nike are paying half. Whatever the case De Ligt will want something similar to his friend.

Despite being more than club, the sporting choice of ballbag and De Jong saying Barca is his dream, Barca still had to cough this money up for De Jong to beat PSG and City. The have the highest wage bill but don't pay the defenders much.

Its one thing he has to weigh up. He could be part of a successful next generation for Barca but really as a defender he will never be celebrated like he will in the BPL.

To be fair, good on the club for at least trying for it. He is the calibre of player we need, plenty of time to go for good players in the window.

Think we should hold the club accountable if he doesn't sign for us? It really seems like we can match the financial ask and there's an opportunity to convince him to join us. It would likely take the likes of Rio and Stam as well as VDS to talk up their time with us. We've seen players swayed by Clubs and managers that went one step further to sign them.

Given our needs and the profile Ole is looking for, I really hope we go all out.

He's cleverly worded the tweet. Obviously we are unsure on reality but the best guess is Barca aren't as crazy for him as we are.

I was also thinking he probably has no idea how close we actually are, just an educated guess

My faith has been restored. I think it’s on.

With I think it’s easier for us get other players in this summer. We cannot afford another shit window and season so no fecking around Mr. Woodcock.

De Ligt, Sancho, AWB, Rabiot, James and Collins :devil:

It is not crazy. You do it for certain types of signings.

What is the lesson to be learned btw? I've argued against big wages for players that aren't in demand. Lingard for example was in no danger of leaving, and if he had left it would be to clubs who would not give him the same wages. This is not one of those situations. I'm assuming the lesson you're talking about is in regards to mercenaries. However, what does that make of City? It's one of those "playing for the shirt" nonsense narratives that don't make any sense once some thought is put into the discussion.
The lesson I’m talking about is managing player’s wages in a logical way so that the squad is balanced and happy, and we don’t get situations where players are demanding a fortune just because another players on more. Sanchez is the obvious example, but I personally think Rashford’s lost it a bit after he’s seen the money. He’s a hard worker but he seems to care less about the football and more about the lifestyle - which is what I’d do as a 20 year old lad with more money than I know what to do with.

Think we should hold the club accountable if he doesn't sign for us? It really seems like we can match the financial ask and there's an opportunity to convince him to join us. It would likely take the likes of Rio and Stam as well as VDS to talk up their time with us. We've seen players swayed by Clubs and managers that went one step further to sign them.

Given our needs and the profile Ole is looking for, I really hope we go all out.

There's really not much more we can do, financially we've done our all and are trying to deal with the devil (Raiola) again. But the reality is we're in the Europa League and De Ligt has to waste a year when he's with us to get us back to the top. Where as Barcelona are well... Barcelona. He'll instantly be recognised as one of best CB's when he's part of a top team there.

He's cleverly worded the tweet. Obviously we are unsure on reality but the best guess is Barca aren't as crazy for him as we are.
Agreed. He’s pretty much saying “ if he loves Barca he needs to prove it by signing for much less money like de jong” even though that isn’t actually true.

When he joins us they’ll say he chose money. Ready made excuse

He'll be worth it.

Ideally we do want to cut the gap between us and the top 2 too, so we will have to pay over the odds in wages to attract one or two big talents.
I’d have to agree with De Ligt just because he seems to be that special level of talent, but getting players to come based on money isn’t always the wisest way to go about transfers. I just hope he actually wants to come here (if he fecking does of course).

And going by rumours it does seem like we're going for younger players in the right positions. I'm optimistic about this window.
Precisely. Seems like we’ve abandoned the Galactico approach which can only be good news.

Dan James will be young and hungry. De Ligt excites me far more than Koulibaly ever did. We need players that will build a core and a foundation for years to come and grow with the team, not mercenary prima donnas

There's really not much more we can do, financially we've done our all and are trying to deal with the devil (Raiola) again. But the reality is we're in the Europa League and De Ligt has to waste a year when he's with us to get us back to the top. Where as Barcelona are well... Barcelona. He'll instantly be recognised as one of best CB's when he's part of a top team there.

Yeah. I'm hopeful. Not so much from the journos but from what we've heard from the lad himself about development, playing time and of course his love for the Premier League. The first two sound like a level headed 19 year old , despite being the best young CB in the world, getting ready for more hard work..love the attitude

The lesson I’m talking about is managing player’s wages in a logical way so that the squad is balanced and happy, and we don’t get situations where players are demanding a fortune just because another players on more. Sanchez is the obvious example, but I personally think Rashford’s lost it a bit after he’s seen the money. He’s a hard worker but he seems to care less about the football and more about the lifestyle - which is what I’d do as a 20 year old lad with more money than I know what to do with.
The reason why I'm not bringing wage problems into the de Ligt discussion is because there are ways to curb that problem. We currently have squad players on very minimal roles that could and should be taken by our youth players who are on at least half their wages. The next thing is that players who could be asking for more should be dialed back a bit because they're not as wanted as de Ligt is. United need to do a better job at determining which players have a lot of negotiating power and which do not. There is no reason why our wages should be above Spurs for players that aren't better than Spurs players. De Ligt doesn't fall into that category. Shaw, Rojo, Young, Jones, Lingard, etc... should be dialed back in wages. They're not some hot commodity wanted by clubs who can afford their wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.