2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
The usual suspects immediately appear in here to jump on any minor flaw in one of our players. Presumably to pour more pressure on our manager? Who knows, but it genuinely baffles me. It’s like you’re waiting for the people you’re supposed to support to fail.

Anyway, that aside. Not great on the second goal but over all a good performance. Van Dijk sleeping a little on the first goal but nothing too egregious. They look a better partnership than we saw with De Vrij at the Euros, interesting to see how they develop.
De Vrij is much better than De Ligt in Orange. Especially from what De Ligt showed tonight.

I rate De Ligt, but he's terrible for our national team.

De Vrij is much better than De Ligt in Orange. Especially from what De Ligt showed tonight.

I rate De Ligt, but he's terrible for our national team.
Respectfully disagree, De Vrij is not someone I rate too much and given time to develop a partnership I think De Ligt and Van Dijk has a much higher ceiling. Just my opinion, hopefully we get to see more and find out.

Respectfully disagree, De Vrij is not someone I rate too much and given time to develop a partnership I think De Ligt and Van Dijk has a much higher ceiling. Just my opinion, hopefully we get to see more and find out.
De Vrij is definitely on the way out, so I hope De Ligt will step up, but so far, ehhh

Desperately praying Yoro is the one because I have zero faith in this bloke. Bayern sell to us for a reason.

Agreed. I have the same concerns. Not just Bayern, but Juventus as well, and he's been on the bench for the Dutch since WC 22 and under two different managers (LVG and Koeman).

De Vrij is definitely on the way out, so I hope De Ligt will step up, but so far, ehhh
So is Van Dijk, given his age. Will the future be Aké - Van de Ven - De Ligt, or what do you think? I guess Botman could have a place in that as well; or are there any quality CBs I'm missing?

Plays for United now, so obviously every single little error he makes is gonna be blown up out of all proportion.
Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Manchester United is hardest club on the planet to play good football and maintain high confidence levels. Players get absolutely slaughtered from day 1.

Plays for United now, so obviously every single little error he makes is gonna be blown up out of all proportion.
Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Manchester United is hardest club on the planet to play good football and maintain high confidence levels. Players get absolutely slaughtered from day 1.
Not so. De Ligt was being slaughtered long before day 1.

So is Van Dijk, given his age. Will the future be Aké - Van de Ven - De Ligt, or what do you think? I guess Botman could have a place in that as well; or are there any quality CBs I'm missing?
Timber, Hato

Wasn’t this myth of Dier starting ahead of him debunked??? As in, he didn’t start ahead of at all apart from maybe one game?
I thought that they ended up being the favoured pairing over Upamaceno and Kim.

Wasn’t this myth of Dier starting ahead of him debunked??? As in, he didn’t start ahead of at all apart from maybe one game?

In the second half of Tuchel's second season at Bayern he limited De Ligts minutes after his return from injury. When Tuchel opted for a back three for instance, he favored Dier in the center with Upamecano and Kim besides him.

This was the preferred starting three in a few matches including a key game against leaders and eventual champs Leverkusen much to the supporters chagrin after the heavy loss

Last edited:
It's quite clear that De Light is not good in positioning and awareness. It may turn out to be bad recruitment again considering his price and expectation.

I thought that they ended up being the favoured pairing over Upamaceno and Kim.

In the second half of Tuchel's second season at Bayern he limited De Ligts minutes after his return from injury. When Tuchel opted for a back three for instance, he favored Dier in the center with Upamecano and Kim besides him.

It happend in a fee matches including a key game against leaders and eventual champs Leverkusen much to the supporters chagrin after the heavy loss
It was more this that I was referring to:
‘’Eric Dier played 15 games for Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga after signing for the club in January, and in 14 of them, Matthijs de Ligt was a starter.’’

He started a single game, ffs. Let the guy settle in. He is clearly a MASSIVE upgrade on Maguire, Lindelof, and Evans. That much is clear. How good he is beyond that - we will need time to see and he will need time to adjust

Most importantly we need players who are not made out of glass. Availability is crucial ability

He started a single game, ffs. Let the guy settle in. He is clearly a MASSIVE upgrade on Maguire, Lindelof, and Evans. That much is clear. How good he is beyond that - we will need time to see and he will need time to adjust

Most importantly we need players who are not made out of glass. Availability is crucial ability
Everyone realises he has started one game for us and I am sure everyone wants him to have a good career at Utd.
From what he has shown in the past two seasons he is clearly not a MASSIVE upgrade on Harry or a 35yo Evans and it is not even complimentary to say he is an upgrade on Lindelof.
Everyone raved about Kim and Upamecano and a cast off from Spurs went over to Bayern and benched them so let us not go overboard on De ligt just yet.

Everyone realises he has started one game for us and I am sure everyone wants him to have a good career at Utd.
From what he has shown in the past two seasons he is clearly not a MASSIVE upgrade on Harry or a 35yo Evans and it is not even complimentary to say he is an upgrade on Lindelof.
Everyone raved about Kim and Upamecano and a cast off from Spurs went over to Bayern and benched them so let us not go overboard on De ligt just yet.
We know you have made up your mind about him, it is getting tiresome now. Bayern's best defender which most Bayern fans agree on, but Bondi77 on the caf pretends to have watched him more and claims he isn't. Not a massive upgrade on Evans and Lindelof? Posts like these are so tedious.

Your entire post is just based on Bayern wanting him out, but it doesn't say anything about his quality or his performances. I could give you a list of players who were forced out of their club. Kroos, Hummels, Sneijder, Özil, Di Maria, Yaya Toure, Gundogan, Kanté, Makelele, Thiago Alcantara, Jaap Stam, van Nistelrooy etc. So many more. I bet you wouldn't take these players because their previous club didn't want them anymore.

Desperately praying Yoro is the one because I have zero faith in this bloke. Bayern sell to us for a reason.
So why did they sell Kroos to Real Madrid and Hummels back to Dortmund? Enlighten us how this flawlessly, faultless club makes godly decisions at all times.

Plays one game and you already got "supporters" like yourself ready to obliterate him. Get a grip.

Aké will replace Van Dijk I'd say, the leftside is more open. There's De Ligt, Geertruida, maybe even J. Timber (though he's now playing lb at Arsenal).

Hopefully De Ligt will do spectacularly well at United and cement his spot in Oranje that way, but somehow he's just been unlucky in his games for Oranje or something.

its fair not being sold on him, but this is just embarrassing.. And if you look at post from just after the game last night, its clear that not everyone wants him to do well

We know you have made up your mind about him, it is getting tiresome now. Bayern's best defender which most Bayern fans agree on, but Bondi77 on the caf pretends to have watched him more and claims he isn't. Not a massive upgrade on Evans and Lindelof? Posts like these are so tedious.

Your entire post is just based on Bayern wanting him out, but it doesn't say anything about his quality or his performances. I could give you a list of players who were forced out of their club. Kroos, Hummels, Sneijder, Özil, Di Maria, Yaya Toure, Gundogan, Kanté, Makelele, Thiago Alcantara, Jaap Stam, van Nistelrooy etc. So many more. I bet you wouldn't take these players because their previous club didn't want them anymore.
Where have I given the impression I have made my mind up about him?
If he can show the form he showed at Ajax I would be doing cartwheels because we would have a star on our hands.
I have said he is an upgrade on Lindelof but that is hardly a compliment... why is that hard to understand?
He was'nt great at Juventus according to reports but I don't watch Serie A and from a lot of reports from Germany Dier went there on a free and was as impressive as the other more well known CBs at the club and Dier is not that great IMO.
If he is an upgrade on Harry then he will get more minutes than him and if he does then that can only be good for the club and it's supporters of which I am one.
What gets tiresome is when players come to the club and are hyped up on here to be so much better than what we already have and that ends up not being the case.

Where have I given the impression I have made my mind up about him?
If he can show the form he showed at Ajax I would be doing cartwheels because we would have a star on our hands.
I have said he is an upgrade on Lindelof but that is hardly a compliment... why is that hard to understand?
He was'nt great at Juventus according to reports but I don't watch Serie A and from a lot of reports from Germany Dier went there on a free and was as impressive as the other more well known CBs at the club and Dier is not that great IMO.
If he is an upgrade on Harry then he will get more minutes than him and if he does then that can only be good for the club and it's supporters of which I am one.
What gets tiresome is when players come to the club and are hyped up on here to be so much better than what we already have and that ends up not being the case.
You gave the impression when you said he hasn't been good these last two seasons despite not having watched him.
It's also funny you mention his time for Ajax for measurement when he is better now than what he was. The reason he was hyped up there was because of the potential he had at his age. He looked like he would be the world's best centre back in a few years. He didn't live up to his potential, but how many players do? And it doesn't matter, because he is still a very good defender, and he has developed since his Ajax days and gained more experience and all-around a better defender, so where are those cartwheels you were talking about?

Yeah, de Ligt was so bad for Juventus that Bayern made him their second record signing in terms of transfer fee. Funny that. Now, why would they do that?

You gave the impression when you said he hasn't been good these last two seasons despite not having watched him.
It's also funny you mention his time for Ajax for measurement when he is better now than what he was. The reason he was hyped up there was because of the potential he had at his age. He looked like he would be the world's best centre back in a few years. He didn't live up to his potential, but how many players do? And it doesn't matter, because he is still a very good defender, and he has developed since his Ajax days and gained more experience and all-around a better defender, so where are those cartwheels you were talking about?

Yeah, de Ligt was so bad for Juventus that Bayern made him their second record signing in terms of transfer fee. Funny that. Now, why would they do that?
So have you watched Serie A on a regular basis?

There's nothing clear about it.

its fair not being sold on him, but this is just embarrassing.. And if you look at post from just after the game last night, its clear that not everyone wants him to do well
Do you think it is a compliment to be rated better than Lindelof?

There is if you watched the last 2 years of league football. And don’t just base it on one international weekend.

Not to mention one has consistently been playing at a higher level for years.

Did Holland play with a back 3? If so, then that's why De Ligt probably didn't play well. I didn't watch it so I don't know. But I've heard enough times that one of the reasons Tuchel didn't fancy him at Bayern was cause Tuchel preferred a back 3, a formation that doesn't suit De Ligt.

International matches are hardly a good way to judge a player anyways no matter who the opposition is. If they were then Kleberson would've been one of our all time great defensive midfielders. Poborsky would've been one of our all time greats too. Podolski would be one of the greatest strikers ever.

Did Holland play with a back 3? If so, then that's why De Ligt probably didn't play well. I didn't watch it so I don't know. But I've heard enough times that one of the reasons Tuchel didn't fancy him at Bayern was cause Tuchel preferred a back 3, a formation that doesn't suit De Ligt.

International matches are hardly a good way to judge a player anyways no matter who the opposition is. If they were then Kleberson would've been one of our all time great defensive midfielders. Poborsky would've been one of our all time greats too. Podolski would be one of the greatest strikers ever.
You could throw Pogba in that list as well and I take it you don't put much worth into the form of Ugarte playing for his national side.

It is. Maguire is not as bad as a lot of people make out, but De Ligt is obviously better.
There's nothing obvious or clear about it. He has to prove it in the PL and get judged by the same standards. Hopefully he is, but I was told the same on here about Lindelof until people caught up.

I pay no attention to twitter comments on our players because there is already a standing bias towards hating our players just because they play for us. De Ligt is a great CB. Just needs to stay fit and he will easily repay the fee with his performances.

Both of them are amongst the best CCBs in the world, but according to casuals it's Championship-level bum Harry Maguire vs Juve-Bayern-Netherlands reject + benched by Dier Matthijs De Ligt.

And there's really not much between them tbh.

"Massive upgrade" = Social media told me Maguire is a joke

De Ligt wasn’t even that bad last night, but he is get hammered for Bosnia’s 2nd goal (yet looks to me there’s a communication issue with the goalie, did the goalkeeper call for the ball?). As you can imaging in a match the Dutch scored 5 goals, he generally didn’t have a great deal to do.