Mats Møller Dæhli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rated Morrison highest of all the United youngsters I've seen in the last few years. And his career seems to have come unstuck.

The first time I saw Pogba play for the Academy I was hugely impressed, but I was unhappy with his performances for the Reserves last season. And now he's starting for Juve at 19!

You could lose a lot of money betting on the future of young footballers.

Yeah...spot on really.

Rossi was a precarious case. He was way too good for the reserves but not ready for the first team and was unlikely to break into it.

He's not really managed to make the transition to u21's yet. I think he might need to spend quite a bit of time there first, but I'm not even convinced by him just yet. I think Januzaj is the pick of the bunch but even he is a million miles from being guaranteed anything here. Morrison was as sure a thing as I've seen in a while and look at him now.

I am convinced it's because of his size tbh.

He debuted for the reserves at the age of 16 last season just months after he had joined us and was on the bench for 3 games at least iirc. Januzaj has just been promoted this season.

Think we are waiting on him to grow and get physically stronger before promoting him full time like with Januzaj, as he has outgrown the U19's in terms of talent anyway. I think same is the case at national level probably too.

I rated Morrison highest of all the United youngsters I've seen in the last few years. And his career seems to have come unstuck.

The first time I saw Pogba play for the Academy I was hugely impressed, but I was unhappy with his performances for the Reserves last season. And now he's starting for Juve at 19!

You could lose a lot of money betting on the future of young footballers.

Morrison set it back for himself, really. The talent is there for all to see tbh, and still if you ask Birmingham fans they'll tell you.

But still he is only turned 2 days ago, and is starting for Birmingham regularly and doing as well as Mceachran is doing at Boro apparently. He is younger than a Zaha and also younger than Cleverley when he went to the championship.

If he can sort out his head, he can still be a top player and easily catch up on Pogba who people are getting a bit overboard on. Both have the talent (Perhaps Pogba has more headline catching ability). Both have some issues in terms of attitude to different degrees. Will be interesting to see how each's career pan out.

In terms of recent youngsters, the one who stood out most for me was Jonny Evans. He just looked several levels above everyone else all the way through agegroup football. Even more so than Morrison IMO, although maybe Rossi was more impressive than Evans.

Danny Welbeck for me in recent years. It all looked too easy for him...

I remember when Fraizer was on loan and Welbeck was 17 I was certain he was going to make it over Fraizer. He always looked class.

The only youth player that I have ever been sure of making at the top level after seeing them in the reserves was Rossi, he was dynamite. Looking at the current crop I don't honestly see any of them at Rossi's level of dominance. Nonetheless, many of them are very talented, if I had to bet on one becoming a first team player for us it would be Ben Pearson.

I also really like Ben Pearson. He's got so much bite.

David Jones in the reserves was more or less MOTM in every match he played - I am still surprised he didn't do better even if he has had a good career.

That's just it though. You can't just look at performance levels when watching academy and reserve team footie. You've gotta use your imagination a little bit. What are this guy's weaknesses and how will they affect him at a higher level? Will he able to eradicate them as he matures? If he works his ass off, how good could he be? Basically, it's one big semi-educated guess. Jones' lack of pace and dynamism was always going to be a problem for him at the highest level, even though I must admit to almost being a believer that season he tore it up at Nijmegen. Welbeck, on the other hand, looked like the kind of talent who'd eventually take to first team footie like a duck to water and despite how far he has come, it's quite clear that we ain't seen nothing yet.

Was never convinced by Jones in the reserves tbh. He was good, but lacked that something extra in terms of his all round play and especially workrate/stamina/dynamism.

Maybe he could have done better outside England ?

Rossi was probably the clearest one who stood out, but then he was a goalscorer who always are easier to stand out at that level. Welbeck never really decisively stood out for me, but the talent was there yes. I guess it was due to the trouble with growth spurts and injuries he had.

Promoted to Norwegian U21. Great news.

Nice, wasn't he with them anyway or was he with the u19s?

He's been with the U19's in Spain, but he's got a yellow card in the first two games with them so can't play the third. Therefore they have moved him to U21, who's playing Russia tomorrow.

I think he did perfectly fine in his half hour at this level. I dont think he ever lost the ball, and tried to get involved in the game as soon as the entered the pitch. Kept the game ticking, got plenty of free kicks and looked calm as feck. Impressed by the way he seems to rise to every challenge presented to him, and I really think that he wouldnt look out of place in the Norwegian senior team. We got some dire midfielders in there at the moment.

Did well but then you'd expect him to against 10 tiring Russians. The sending off devalued all aspects of the game from a Norwegian standpoint, including the Mats experiment.

Did well but then you'd expect him to against 10 tiring Russians. The sending off devalued all aspects of the game from a Norwegian standpoint, including the Mats experiment.

Sort of true, but still. The way Mats is playing and developing, I don't see any reason why he should not be a part of this U21-side from now on. At least they should give him a couple of more chances to prove he's worthy of a place, and I'm sure he will take it.

Yeah, he'll get more chances, it's not like he didn't do well tonight. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play his way into the squad for the Euros, but he'll have to earn it by unequivocally bringing something more valuable to the table than the midfielders who worked their socks off to get us there in the first place. That's a tough ask considering we're talking about players 4 or 5 years his senior.

Singh is in my eyes guaranteed a place, as is Henriksen, Eikrem and Nordtveit IF they are not busy with the first team (I don't think all of them will be able to go with U21). Then you have Svensson, Hussain, Konradsen, Johansen and maybe Ulvestad, who are all good players with more experience from higher level than Dæhli, which he will be competing with for a spot. In my eyes, Dæhli should be able to prove himself worthy of a place among this lot. He's good enough, but he has to prove himself, and it won't be easy seeing he is so much younger and less experienced.

Singh is in my eyes guaranteed a place, as is Henriksen, Eikrem and Nordtveit IF they are not busy with the first team (I don't think all of them will be able to go with U21). Then you have Svensson, Hussain, Konradsen, Johansen and maybe Ulvestad, who are all good players with more experience from higher level than Dæhli, which he will be competing with for a spot. In my eyes, Dæhli should be able to prove himself worthy of a place among this lot. He's good enough, but he has to prove himself, and it won't be easy seeing he is so much younger and less experienced.

That sounds about right. He is capable but incredibly difficult considering the age of some of these players and their experience. It might depend on the coach, who I have no idea about, as he might want to bring through a player like Daehli as quickly as possible and ready him for first team action in a few seasons time.

Yeah, I have no idea what Tor Ole Skullerud (U21 manager) will do here, but if it was me that had to take the decision, I would bring Dæhli, because I think he's on level with most of the players mentioned in my last post, but younger. So in the long run, that would benefit both Dæhli and Norway the most, in my opinion.

Yeah, I have no idea what Tor Ole Skullerud (U21 manager) will do here, but if it was me that had to take the decision, I would bring Dæhli, because I think he's on level with most of the players mentioned in my last post, but younger. So in the long run, that would benefit both Dæhli and Norway the most, in my opinion.

We'll just have to see if Skullerud wants potential or experience I guess.

A few weeks back Skullerud talked about the importance of not putting too much pressure on Dæhli too soon and just 2 days ago he bemoaned the hype surrounding him. Look at the papers today. The focus is on Mats, not the strong result, brilliant first half or MOM Berisha. With that in mind, unless Dæhli emerges as a key member of the squad between now and the Euros, Skullerud probably won't take him. To me that's responsible management.

I guess you can look at it that way, as well. But bringing Dæhli as part of a big squad for the EC this summer, is not the same as putting pressure on the lad in my eyes. It's not like picking him for the squad is the same as putting all the pressure on his shoulders. The media will always be the media, they will continue the hype whatever happens. I think bringing him to Israel would be more of a confidence boost than a negative pressure, and to me he looks like a lad whit a strong psyche. But I can see that somebody would look at it differently.

I guess you can look at it that way, as well. But bringing Dæhli as part of a big squad for the EC this summer, is not the same as putting pressure on the lad in my eyes. It's not like picking him for the squad is the same as putting all the pressure on his shoulders. The media will always be the media, they will continue the hype whatever happens. I think bringing him to Israel would be more of a confidence boost than a negative pressure, and to me he looks like a lad whit a strong psyche. But I can see that somebody would look at it differently.

That's the way I see it. Just being in the squad would be good for him, whether or not he got any game time. Although, it would be nice if he impressed enough to earn a place.

The fact that he already looks this good, came into the U21s without looking flustered, and that he's reportedly the hardest working youth at United (or so Meulensteen, I think, said last summer), has me thinking that he'll go on to be something special. Got a long way to go yet, though.

The fact that he already looks this good, came into the U21s without looking flustered, and that he's reportedly the hardest working youth at United (or so Meulensteen, I think, said last summer), has me thinking that he'll go on to be something special. Got a long way to go yet, though.

I certainly hope so. He seems to have all the ingredients. Superb talent and the desire to achieve his potential. No nonsense, head down. If Daehli doesn't make it here, I will have to accept I know nothing about youth because this is someone special.

I certainly hope so. He seems to have all the ingredients. Superb talent and the desire to achieve his potential. No nonsense, head down. If Daehli doesn't make it here, I will have to accept I know nothing about youth because this is someone special.

This is exactly how I feel. Other United youngsters have come into great form and taken some of the limelight at times over the season and a half. Most on the youth forum probably rate Januzaj higher. But for me, Daehli is the real special talent amongst a remarkable generation of special talents.

Each of the other top 5 or 6 prospects probably could have been the stand-out talent in the last few generations of youth team players, and Daehli is the stand-out talent amongst them.

I agree, if Daehli doesn't make it - then I might just give up on watching youths. It would depress me too much to see what I believe is an absolute legend in the making, turning out to be just a league 1 level player.

Chill pills are in order. He's clearly a brilliant prospect but he's got far too long a way to go to even slightly resemble a sure thing. How many games has he played above academy level? Half a dozen? His proverbial bow still lacks an awful lot of strings, what sets him apart are a few extreme qualities, one of which is his agility. Looking at his parents, he's got a lot of growing to do. Will that make him less agile? Will he struggle with growth related injuries, the way Petrucci (who was every bit as promising at a similar age, if not more so) and numerous others did?

Morrison always had doubts about his mentality. Daehli doesn't. That's the major difference between the two.

I agree but he was more talented than Daehli and he had started putting in performances in first team cameos. Theres nothing to say Daehli won't look completely ordinary when he goes to the u21s, or even the first team. That step up to u21s is a massive one in itself. As Elliott said, he's so far from a sure thing that it's not even worth thinking about right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.