Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mata has played out wide but if we persist with this rigid 4-4-2 with Valencia and ask him to hug the touchline then he'll be as effective as Kagawa. We need to adapt and evolve to get anything out of Mata. Even if Rooney leaves he won't be a direct replacement in the sense that he's not a second striker.

Not that I believe we'll sign him though but still, interesting hypothetical argument.

Well for one, we could play in the way that Arsenal/Chelsea play now - with Rooney operating in the Ozil/Oscar role... though I imagine that my piss him off or something,

The only problem would be Mata and his defensive duties in a wide position - but he's shown himself he can put a bit of a shift in - and it's not like Walcott/Hazard and such work overly hard... it basically just relies on having two deep centre midfielders who aren't expected to contribute to attacking phases - which would be fine to do right now, if our wingers weren't Young and Valencia.

This psg link has come from a baz post about a rumour on another forum. You do realise that, yeah?

Even so, I'd be shocked if they weren't interested in him. I'm a bit surprised tbh how little rumours there are linking him with other clubs. I'd have thought as soon as this story broke out other top clubs would step up. Which might suggest the player has his heart set on coming here. /shrugs.

Even so, I'd be shocked if they weren't interested in him. I'm a bit surprised tbh how little rumours there are linking him with other clubs. I'd have thought as soon as this story broke out other top clubs would step up. Which might suggest the player has his heart set on coming here. /shrugs.
Most big clubs are stacked in his position(s) though. He would be a squad player again for most of them, no matter how good he is.

Even if the PSG thing originated as a Baz wind up, it illustrates how precarious this whole thing is. The fact of the matter is Mata is class and wants out and there are plenty of others who will be interested in taking him on and some of those clubs are bound to be in a position to offer more money than us, and probably a better chance of CL football next year as well.

My god, if this actually happens it will be the most exciting transfer since Berba. He is one of the best players in the world and we could build a team around him.

..Van Persie?!

The club has been working very hard to sign mata

Most big clubs are stacked in his position(s) though. He would be a squad player again for most of them, no matter how good he is.

Squad player? I think the only teams he probably wouldn't get into would be Barca, Madrid, City and Bayern.

Surely Mata is one of the worlds best creative players no? He won fan player of the year twice running at Chelsea for good reason. I still find it hard to believe that Chelsea would be daft enough to sell him to us. Reading the Chelsea forum, they all seem to agree and think Abramovich would be an utter moron if this transfer did go through. I'd certainly give Ed some plaudits if it happened. Still sitting on the "no way this will happen" side of the fence.

This psg link has come from a baz post about a rumour on another forum. You do realise that, yeah?
Also, playing in the French league won't exactly help Mata's world cup ambitions. I'd be more worried if a Spanish club was to put their hat into the ring.

Squad player? I think the only teams he probably wouldn't get into would be Barca, Madrid, City and Bayern.

Surely Mata is one of the worlds best creative players no? He won fan player of the year twice running at Chelsea for good reason. I still find it hard to believe that Chelsea would be daft enough to sell him to us. Reading the Chelsea forum, they all seem to agree and think Abramovich would be an utter moron if this transfer did go through. I'd certainly give Ed some plaudits if it happened. Still sitting on the "no way this will happen" side of the fence.

He's better then Nasri, and there's not much difference with him and Silva. He'd get in the City team imo.

I must say in terms of the quality of the player arriving this deal wouldnt beat the RVP deal. But in terms of how badly we need it I would say it would be more important. We needed a lift after losing the title to City but let's face it, that crisis was nothing like this. At least we still have Dear Leader running things.

Blanc said a couple of days ago that they're after a midfielder and have been heavily linked with Pjanic and Cabaye. I don't think the Mata ''link'' is real.

Well, those are the clubs that can match Chelsea's asking price and afford his wage. The Italian giants probably can't afford him so that leaves PSG and Monaco as potential rivals. It's not really a surprise that the other big clubs aren't in for him even though he's a great player.

Well, those are the clubs that can match Chelsea's asking price and afford his wage. The Italian giants probably can't afford him so that leaves PSG and Monaco as potential rivals. It's not really a surprise that the other big clubs aren't in for him even though he's a great player.

I keep forgetting that Italy and Spain are bankrupt. So yeah, you're probably right. Our only competition realistically will come from Monaco/PSG. Monaco have been very quiet this window, expected them to spend more cash if i'm honest.

I really hope this puts an end to Young and Valencia starting. Januzaj and Mata wide of Rooney and RVP will be something we havent had for a long while. A best front 4 and with Carrick and Fletcher you'd have to call it a best 6. Rafael and De Gea included that's 8 of a best XI. We'd be getting there.

Has Fergies influence on this potential deal been speculated on yet?

Wait til it's done.

Moyes and Woodward will be ridiculed all over the place. "United sign a world class player but it took Fergie and Gill to get the deal done. More evidence that Woodward and Moyes aren't up to the job". Yada yada.

I need more updates on this. It's all gone stagnant in the last couple of hours with no new tweets etc. Ffs tell me that he is arriving for his medical as we speak! Is there someone already waiting with the blankets at the hospital entrance?

Wait til it's done.

Moyes and Woodward will be ridiculed all over the place. "United sign a world class player but it took Fergie and Gill to get the deal done. More evidence that Woodward and Moyes aren't up to the job". Yada yada.
I havent read anything to suggest but at a guess I think this is what some will point towards. Fergie's special relationship with Jose and the fact him and Gill met with Roman on Sunday.

Even if Mata isn't the perfect fit position wise, the team NEEDS this big signing. The club needs a couple of marquee signings or this shit will just get worse.

Exactly. Mata a dam good start to that process. The more quality players the better. We need to be less reliant on Rooney and an 18 year old(who sooner or later could have a bad patch). We need to spread the creatively around more players.

Think of how Liverpool/Everton/Spurs will feel about it. It will be a blow to them if it happens. It will give us all a huge boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.