Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if we buy him and then play him in a midfield two, with Valencia/Young out wide still...someone reasure me that Moyes wouldn't do that :nervous:

My point is that it very much looked like we were working on nobody else while we were running after Fábregas. The De Rossi and Herrera stuff only started after the Fábregas chase was definitely over.

I got your point. What am saying is that I dont think we are that incompetent. I also dont pay much heed to who all the media link us with. The De Rossi nonsense happens every summer.

Not keen really.

He's nowherte near as effective out wide, meaning it's either a replacement for Rooney, or we'll try and shoehorn him in like with Kagawa.

And like someone else mentions, not exactly blessed with pace or strength.

RvN?

Most players we sell are either 30+ or very young and haven't been near our first team though, we don't sell players in their prime. I don't think we're any more of a charity than any other big club, are we? If we were doing what Arsenal have been, and selling Nasri's and Adebayor's in their prime, I'm sure we'd be getting far more money. Thankfully, we don't do that.

You'd be surprised!

I think Tosic went for around 8m to CSKA Moscow. I think Rossi went for about 8m too. That was also the year we got rid of Heinze to Madrid for around 10m?

Not keen really.

He's nowherte near as effective out wide, meaning it's either a replacement for Rooney, or we'll try and shoehorn him in like with Kagawa.

He can play out wide and did so for most of his career.

Not keen really.

Well firstly, Mata can and has played out wide and has been effective there. Secondly, he's not a replacement for Rooney - as I fully imagine Rooney will play when fit.

What he is though, is a replacement should Rooney want to leave in the Summer - which is beyond our control at this point.

I got your point. What am saying is that I dont think we are that incompetent. I also dont pay much heed to who all the media link us with. The De Rossi nonsense happens every summer.
De Rossi himself and the Roma coach both confirmed we made a bid for him.

This has got to be a wind up post, but nevertheless, I would happily take a couple more rejects with Mata's skill level and age, should we happen to find them. One at left back, one or two 24yr old centre backs and one up front to replace Pudsey bear should he decide to leave.

If only we went for a Real Madrid reject or two in the past.

You'd be surprised!

I think Tosic went for around 8m to CSKA Moscow. I think Rossi went for about 8m too. That was also the year we got rid of Heinze to Madrid for around 10m?
Neither Tosic or Heinze were particularly great though, were they? We also wanted rid of both.

Rossi turned out to be a bit of a bargain for sure, but he wasn't part of the clubs plans. If you really wanted to name a feck up, you should've said Pique for 4m :)

De Rossi himself and the Roma coach both confirmed we made a bid for him.

Oh, wow. Didnt know that. Moyes's comments on signing Fellaini did come across as a last resort when everything else failed so it makes sense.

Even if what you say is true, the simple fact that no one close to Mata's quality is available now means that the cases are totally different. If we want a top player, its only him. If we're willing to overpay over an average one, we can do that in the last week anyways.

Well firstly, Mata can and has played out wide and has been effective there. Secondly, he's not a replacement for Rooney - as I fully imagine Rooney will play when fit.

What he is though, is a replacement should Rooney want to leave in the Summer - which is beyond our control at this point.
Mata has played out wide but if we persist with this rigid 4-4-2 with Valencia and ask him to hug the touchline then he'll be as effective as Kagawa. We need to adapt and evolve to get anything out of Mata. Even if Rooney leaves he won't be a direct replacement in the sense that he's not a second striker.

Not that I believe we'll sign him though but still, interesting hypothetical argument.

Neither Tosic or Heinze were particularly great though, were they? We also wanted rid of both.

Rossi turned out to be a bit of a bargain for sure, but he wasn't part of the clubs plans. If you really wanted to name a feck up, you should've said Pique for 4m :)

Barca wanted him back, he wanted to go back, they had us by the nads..

Oh, wow. Didnt know that. Moyes's comments on signing Fellaini did come across as a last resort when everything else failed so it makes sense.

Even if what you say is true, the simple fact that no one close to Mata's quality is available now means that the cases are totally different. If we want a top player, its only him. If we're willing to overpay over an average one, we can do that in the last week anyways.
Is your point that if there's a realistic chance that we could get Mata we should go all in for him above everything else? If so, I agree.

Mata has played out wide but if we persist with this rigid 4-4-2 with Valencia and ask him to hug the touchline then he'll be as effective as Kagawa. We need to adapt and evolve to get anything out of Mata. Even if Rooney leaves he won't be a direct replacement in the sense that he's not a second striker.

Not that I believe we'll sign him though but still, interesting hypothetical argument.

Yes, we need to use him like City use Silva. Playmaker tucked in from out wide. I doubt we'd be stupid enough to let him play like Valencia does stuck out on the touchline. What a waste that would be.

We've never asked Kagawa to hug the touchline. No reason we'd do that with Mata either

I wasn't naming feck ups, those are our largest sells. :p

Think it goes: Ronnie, RvN, Heinze, Rossi, Tosic

I still have horrible dreams about us getting rid of Rossi and Pique in that window. I was so sure they'd be terrific for us. :(

Is your point that if there's a realistic chance that we could get Mata we should go all in for him above everything else? If so, I agree.

Yes.

If it doesnt work and we're desperate enough to sign an average player anyways, we can do that in the last few days by throwing cash around though I sincerely hope we dont. Much rather we wait till the summer than have another young on 100k a week with a long contract.

Of course he wouldn't.

Andy Mitten said he were after a centre back, left back, attacking midfielder and a striker. Mata can be considered an attacking midfielder. Hope I'm completely wrong.

I wasn't naming feck ups, those are our largest sells. :p

Think it goes: Ronnie, RvP, Heinze, Rossi, Tosic

I still have horrible dreams about us getting rid of Rossi and Pique in that window. I was so sure they'd be terrific for us. :(

:eek:

Andy Mitten said he were after a centre back, left back, attacking midfielder and a striker. Mata can be considered an attacking midfielder. Hope I'm completely wrong.

You are.

Moyes hasn't had the best of times but he's not incompetent.

You'd be surprised!

£8m for Tosic was supposed to be a bargain?

You'd be surprised!

Which side of the argument are you on? I can't tell.

Both Tosic and Heinze deals sound like good business to me.

Rossi wanted to leave and given his recent injury troubles that figure doesn't look too bad.

Which side of the argument are you on? I can't tell.

Both Tosic and Heinze deals sound like good business to me.

Rossi wanted to leave and given his recent injury troubles that figure doesn't look too bad.

? There was no argument? I was listing out our most expensive outs. As I put in the next post? I think RvN is our 2nd biggest out at 14m, Heinze at 10m and Rossi/Tosic at 8m each. Either way, this is offtopic and should be in a different thread.

I am love how optimistic everyone is and even the few late night trolls weren't able to knock it. Great to see the caf with some positivity for a change. This could have the exact same effect on the squad. Imagine what our first team lads are thinking now. They must be absolutely buzzing.
Except for Young and Valencia :D

Meh, it's happened before and will no doubt happen again.
Search Google for 'Disillusioned + *INSERT PSG PLAYERNAME*'... Just shows the state of football in France, I'd be less worried about PSG hijacking any players these days.

? There was no argument? I was listing out our most expensive outs. As I put in the next post? I think RvN is our 2nd biggest out at 14m, Heinze at 10m and Rossi/Tosic at 8m each. Either way, this is offtopic and should be in a different thread.

We sold Beckham for £25 and Veron for £15m. We've never been a selling club to be fair and aside from Beckham and Ronaldo we barely sold any first team players.

Ronnie was the only player that we got decent money for though Cina. We sell our youngsters for peanuts, we sell our experienced trophy winners for peanuts. We've always been rubbish at this. I can't remember the last time we sold a player for more than what? 8m (discounting Ronnie) probably Veron?
I may be wrong but from SAF autobiography, it seemed like he sold players to where he thought was the right club for them (bar some BIG money moves of course). E.G. Sold Phil Nev to Everton although Newcastle were offering more.

I would love to believe this is true. In a profession run by money, it would show that there still are class characters out there, in this case being SAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.