Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mata isn't very inspiring from out wide which is why he is being sold. He hasn't been able to adjust to playing out wide.

Must be the worst transfer idea in history, like Chelsea buying Kagawa from us with the reasoning to play him out wide next to Oscar.

He's not just an attacking player that sits in the hole, he's far more than that, he can come from wide and also drop deeper, he wasn't player of the year twice for being one dimensional. Kagawa has so far failed to produce or provide the goals as have our wide men, to the point we are fully reliant on an 18 year old as our main focus.

All of that aside buying players of top quality when they become available is exactly how football clubs remain competitive. If he's available, buy him or leave top four in the balance and perhaps kiss goodbye to millions in Champions league revenue.

He's not just an attacking player that sits in the hole, he's far more than that, he can come from wide and also drop deeper, he wasn't player of the year twice for being one dimensional. Kagawa has so far failed to produce or provide the goals as have our wide men, to the point we are fully reliant on an 18 year old as our main focus.

All of that aside buying players of top quality when they become available is exactly how football clubs remain competitive. If he's available, buy him or leave top four in the balance and perhaps kiss goodbye to millions in Champions league revenue.

It sounds like you are making a con-Mata argument really. He's scored 0 goals all season and just 1 assist from all his games out wide this season.

Mourinho told him "adapt to Oscar playing centrally" - he has failed which is why he is sold if he ends up sold. He has failed to adjust to playing wide so he is being sold from a top 4 club because he in their mind isn't top 4 quality out wide.

So your idea is that we buy him and play him out wide? Would be a huge waste of money then considering how much better he is centrally.

I've been on the edge of full-blown muppetry before, never to this extent. I'll finish this night shift, and if it's not confirmed by the time I wake up, I'll cry myself back to sleep.

:lol:

Go out and buy supplies for nine days. Arrange a pile of beer, canned food and Kleenex next to your PC and you're all set.

Arsenal had no lack of creativity and yet went out to splash big money on Ozil. Despite having spent an entire window chasing their primary concern which was a striker. It worked bloody well for them. And in our case we could actually do with a world class league proven creative player. It would also leave our central midfield to just concentrate on protecting the defense. There is good logic behind smashing our transfer record here, imo.

Arsenal had no lack of creativity and yet went out to splash big money on Ozil. Despite having spent an entire window chasing their primary concern which was a striker. It worked bloody well for them. And in our case we could actually do with a world class league proven creative player. It would also leave our central midfield to just concentrate on protecting the defense. There is good logic behind smashing our transfer record here, imo.

Aye, the way we have looked so hopeless in creating a half decent chance, we couldn't get someone better than Mata to improve that.

One of the biggest positives if this comes off is him already adapted to the Premiership, which is a massive bonus seeing we need someone immediately as a catalyst for that 4th place.

Why would Chelsea allow Mata to go to one of their rivals? I just don't see this transfer happening unless United pay over the odds for this player.

Ever since Woodward has taken charge it seems like we have been chasing players we have little hope of getting. Fabregas, Bale, Ronaldo, even a player like Marchisio or Dante, these aren't players likely to leave their clubs for us. There just seems to be a lack of guile or common sense on the part of our transfer policy. Yes, we have the money to pay these players, but it isn't as simple as that.

"No formal bid has yet gone it yet" However "progress has been made" "35 million pound"

all this on ssn.

Why would Chelsea allow Mata to go to one of their rivals? I just don't see this transfer happening unless United pay over the odds for this player.

Ever since Woodward has taken charge it seems like we have been chasing players we have little hope of getting. Fabregas, Bale, Ronaldo, even a player like Marchisio or Dante, these aren't players likely to leave their clubs for us. There just seems to be a lack of guile or common sense on the part of our transfer policy. Yes, we have the money to pay these players, but it isn't as simple as that.

As far as this season goes I don't see what we are rivals for.

And we ARE paying over the top. A player who has been hardly used the whole season and doesn't look like getting into the team going for 40 mill is very high. Don't think they will get a better offer.

I agree with Gary Neville. Mata doesn't fit our needs. Like Kagawa he drifts inside and doesn't defend well enough for the big matches.

Unless...unless we want some insurance should Rooney fail to sign a new contract in the summer.

Chelsea have to be taking a really short-sighted view on the situation of they don't see us as rivals. Less that half of this season left. A good summer window changes everything. I'm not complaining though.

we should just admit defeat in future and not try for the best players.

I agree with Gary Neville. Mata doesn't fit our needs. Like Kagawa he drifts inside and doesn't defend well enough for the big matches.

Unless...unless we want some insurance should Rooney fail to sign a new contract in the summer.
Neville didn't say Mata doesn't fit our needs.

As far as this season goes I don't see what we are rivals for.

And we ARE paying over the top. A player who has been hardly used the whole season and doesn't look like getting into the team going for 40 mill is very high. Don't think they will get a better offer.

We are paying over the top for a player who may not make much of a difference this season for us.

It feels like we're making a statement by buying big rather than getting a player that meets our needs.

It sounds like you are making a con-Mata argument really. He's scored 0 goals all season and just 1 assist from all his games out wide this season.

Mourinho told him "adapt to Oscar playing centrally" - he has failed which is why he is sold if he ends up sold. He has failed to adjust to playing wide so he is being sold from a top 4 club because he in their mind isn't top 4 quality out wide.

So your idea is that we buy him and play him out wide? Would be a huge waste of money then considering how much better he is centrally.
Mourinho just doesn't like him full stop, he's hardly been given a fair run at any position let alone out wide. You actually need minutes on the pitch to notch up goals and assists, and it's 2 assists, minutes like Kagawa has had, am I right saying 0 goals 0 assists this season ?
Mata has featured 13 times and completed 1 game being subbed 9 times, Valencia couldn't get subbed off here if one of his legs fell off.

Mata, Rooney and Januzaj would hardly be a static 3 you would imagine a lot of movement and rotation between them, a far cry from Tony V stood on the touch line waiting to smash the ball into a full back.

By the time I get to go to bed I'll have been awake for over 48 hrs, I may never wake from my slumber.

When you wake up, and if half the stories on here have a grain of truth in them, you will not recognize half the side we put on against Cardiff.

Sky Sports News @SkySportsNews 1m
Sky Sports News understands the deal to take Chelsea's Juan Mata to Man Utd is a step closer - full details on #ssnhd from 6am.

Tuned in at 6 only to find them giving 10 minutes to a meaningless fecking cup tie last night with endless comparison lists; and then your man turns up and says nothing more than "we understand progress has been made and Ballbag is certain talks are ongoing."

He also does something else, that is creating chance with incredible consistency.

Also, Neville simply said he doesn't fit a traditional 4-4-2. Which is true and we don't play that anymore.

Januzaj has been our best player this season after Rooney and he's not a traditional wide player playing out wide.

I'd like to correct a few fans here.

Without having any inside knowledge on what's going on behind the scenes, it's well known among the CFC support, that Jose currently doesn't have the same power he had at Chelsea the first time around (at least in 2004-06 period, before Roman started interfering). When it comes to such an important transfer as this, his opinion will be heard and counted, but it would be the board, namely Abramovich and his close circle, that will make the actual decision. So when some here claim Jose doesn't care about the fans and will do what he feels is right, it's ultimately will not be up to him to decide.

I don't see the logic behind selling Mata to MU from Chelsea's point of view. Suggestions that it'll help CFC because United can potentially damage City or Arsenal's hopes for the title this season are silly. Even if Mata is desperate for playing time with a view of the upcoming World Cup, we can always offer him on loan to a number of foreign clubs, that'll be more than happy to accommodate Chelsea and, if things don't change, get some serious money for him in the summer from, let's say, PSG.

Given Mata's age, ability, overall attitude and contract situation, we'd be crazy to sell him to United. Timing is also questionable. With De Bruyne just sold to Wolfsburg, Mata is our only alternative to Oscar, if the Brazilian gets injured, suspended, loses form, etc. With four months and plenty of matches left to play, letting him go even on loan can potentially hurt us this season, to say nothing of selling him to the domestic rival only to regret it for years to come.

Christ, Sky Sports and Telegraph are reporting this?

Time for my early morning tug.

We are paying over the top for a player who may not make much of a difference this season for us.

It feels like we're making a statement by buying big rather than getting a player that meets our needs.

Not make much of a difference? Seriously? We can't create a decent chance to save our life with the current set of players.

It is RVP all over again. Half the caf was against buying him saying he would halt the progress of Danny and Chicha or how he would work with Rooney and what not.

These are genuine match winners, who win games specially when you don't have a World Class squad capable of dominating every game.

Is it really that simple?

I just felt he was not a Jose type of player wide. Jose tends to favor fast direct wingers (Robben and Ronaldo are his ideal wingers) and I at least just felt Jose never gave him a fair chance.... Now I didn't follow it all that closely so will not surprise me to be proved wrong, but this guy was Chelsea's player of the year two years in a row, and I just felt he was hard done because he is a different type of player... fantastic mind you, just not fantastic at being fast and direct.

Now that said, we need that wide play and I think Mata would excel here. Yes he will cut in a fair bit but...

------Carrick----???????-----
--Mata----Rooney--Januzaj--
------------RVP------------

would seems to be one player away from a Team that could seriously compete not just domestically but also Champs League... with tons of squad players already lining the bench as back-up ;).

Thoughts?

we should just admit defeat in future and not try for the best players.

We have bought the best players in the past. Rooney, Vidic, Van Nistlerooy, Ronaldo, Tevez etc etc. But they weren't under contract at big clubs like Bayern, Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid or PSG. Do your homework and find a player that is available rather than just making a wish list and running down rabbit trails all summer only to end up empty handed.

I'd like to correct a few fans here.

Without having any inside knowledge on what's going on behind the scenes, it's well known among the CFC support, that Jose currently doesn't have the same power he had at Chelsea the first time around (at least in 2004-06 period, before Roman started interfering). When it comes to such an important transfer as this, his opinion will be heard and counted, but it would be the board, namely Abramovich and his close circle, that will make the actual decision. So when some here claim Jose doesn't care about the fans and will do what he feels is right, it's ultimately will not be up to him to decide.

I don't see the logic behind selling Mata to MU from Chelsea's point of view. Suggestions that it'll help CFC because United can potentially damage City or Arsenal's hopes for the title this season are silly. Even if Mata is desperate for playing time with a view of the upcoming World Cup, we can always offer him on loan to a number of foreign clubs, that'll be more than happy to accommodate Chelsea and, if things don't change, get some serious money for him in the summer from, let's say, PSG.

Given Mata's age, ability, overall attitude and contract situation, we'd be crazy to sell him to United. Timing is also questionable. With De Bruyne just sold to Wolfsburg, Mata is our only alternative to Oscar, if the Brazilian gets injured, suspended, loses form, etc. With four months and plenty of matches left to play, letting him go even on loan can potentially hurt us this season, to say nothing of selling him to the domestic rival only to regret it for years to come.

He isn't a massive cnut though, not Chelsea material at all.

Not make much of a difference? Seriously? We can't create a decent chance to save our life with the current set of players.

I still see us finishing fourth with this group of players, especially when Rooney and RVP come back into the side. For next season it is a fullback or two, a midfielder and maybe an out and out winger that will get us back on top again.

If Kagawa can barely get a game and gets shunted out to the left side, then where will Mata go?

Don't get me wrong. I think Mata is a great player. I just also think that Rooney and Kagawa offer plenty already in his best position.

If this transfer goes through, I think it will be more about our club making a statement of intent by splashing some cash than making a decision purely for football reasons. I think the club is looking to lift the mood with a big buy rather than filling our real need in central midfield and at the fullback positions.

He isn't a massive cnut though, not Chelsea material at all.

True. That's why I feel sad when I see City having Aguero/Silva etc. Only utter cnuts of players look good match at City and Chelsea.

This thread has exploded:eek:

Any other news other than the tweets on the twitter thread??

We have bought the best players in the past. Rooney, Vidic, Van Nistlerooy, Ronaldo, Tevez etc etc. But they weren't under contract at big clubs like Bayern, Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid or PSG. Do your homework and find a player that is available rather than just making a wish list and running down rabbit trails all summer only to end up empty handed.
Bale was available as he moved to Madrid. If we didn't go in for him you would have probably questioned our ambition. Ronaldo too has come out and said he thought about resigning for us, and I think us vacating the 7 shirt gives an indication how close it was. The only one really is Fabregas that I'll give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.