Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer 2011. Chelsea sign Mata. We sign Young for only 5 million less, and he is 3 years older. Discuss.

There are so many of those, for instance two Daniel Sturridges cost less than one Marouane Fellaini, it's best not to remind ourselves of our embarrassing transfer dealings of late, lets just pretend they didn't happen.

Pros and cons about the likelyhood of this deal

Pro's:
+Mata needs regular first team football if he wants to break into the world cup squad, he can't get that at Chelsea. He might lose his place to players like Koke, Pedro and Costa if he doesn't get time
+40 million pounds goes some small way towards FFP for Chelea
+We aren't contenders for the league this season, we can't face Chelsea in any competition and use Mata against them this season

Cons:
-Mata will miss out on the opportunity of winning the league this season. A league title is something that's missing from his impressive medal collection
-Chelsea were completely rejected when it came to us selling Rooney, will they want to deal with us?
-Chelsea fans will be infuriated, Mourinho doesn't want something like this derailing his title challenge
-PSG and other clubs can offer more and are abroad, more importantly to Chelsea
I think his reported popularity at Chelsea might fit in the pro column, if he asks to leave they'll hopefully be less inclined to stand in his way.

+We aren't contenders for the league this season, we can't face Chelsea in any competition and use Mata against them this season

This is a good point. Mourinho loves loaning people around to strengthen sides that can nick points off rivals, this winds up being quite similar. Sad they would see it that way, but I'll take it!

My opinions below...

Pros and cons about the likelyhood of this deal

Pro's:
+Mata needs regular first team football if he wants to break into the world cup squad, he can't get that at Chelsea. He might lose his place to players like Koke, Pedro and Costa if he doesn't get time
Yup
+40 million pounds goes some small way towards FFP for Chelsea
Probably
Definitely

Cons:
-Mata will miss out on the opportunity of winning the league this season. A league title is something that's missing from his impressive medal collection
Your first point is probably more important. Look at when Keane what the CL in 1999 - he didn't play in the final and the win, at least according to his autobiography, left him miserable since he didn't play
-Chelsea were completely rejected when it came to us selling Rooney, will they want to deal with us?
a money club likes money
-Chelsea fans will be infuriated, Mourinho doesn't want something like this derailing his title challenge
a money club likes money, Mourinho or no Mourinho. If he isn't wanted, he is an asset that is depreciating while offering no return in terms of contributing to football results. The bean counters will want to cash in I would think.
-PSG and other clubs can offer more and are abroad, more importantly to Chelsea
a money club likes money. If our money > other money then we win.

Summer 2011. Chelsea sign Mata. We sign Young for only 5 million less, and he is 3 years older. Discuss.

Fergie made a lot of questionable signings in the last few years. See Young, Valencia, Berbatov, Hargreaves, Anderson, Owen, Bebe, Obertan...the list is long.

they will sell to us. they don't see us title challengers this season. selling us players will improve us... and hopefully allow us to beat their title rivals. mourinho isn't in it for the long haul. he wants titles now. 40mil suits him.

Fergie made a lot of questionable signings in the last few years. See Young, Valencia, Berbatov, Hargreaves, Anderson, Owen, Bebe, Obertan...the list is long.

Valencia was great when he first came to United.
Berbatov scored a hattrick against LIverpool that included an overhead kick.
Hargreaves was an important part of the double winning side of 2008.
Owen scored a 96th minute winner against City.

Don't care what else they did (or didn't do) in a United shirt.

Signing Valencia to replace Ronaldo was never going to be enough. It was a massive step down in quality.
Berbatov was overprice and a flop.
Hargreaves was injury prone and average.
Owen was just shit.

A few good moments doesn't make a signing good.

Add to that, Owen was free. Obertain cost 3M, all of which we recouped. Anderson was rated as one of the opt prospects in world football when he came (and had a great first season). Young is Young.

Do you lot see a 'Kagawa or Mata' situation or your foresee them possibly playing together to offer tactical dexterity and more creativity upfront, behind the main striker?

Add to that, Owen was free. Obertain cost 3M, all of which we recouped. Anderson was rated as one of the opt prospects in world football when he came (and had a great first season). Young is Young.

We should have been paid to take Obertan in fairness!

Doesn't make it a total loss, though. I really liked Berbatov tbh.

He's clearly a talented fecker, but nowhere near as good as Fergie wanted him to be, or thought he was. He got blinded by a shiny new striker imo, and £30 million was ridiculous.

I understand that teams like PSG can outbid United aswel as being a preferable destination for Chelsea..

But am I the only one who thinks they wouldn't outbid us? Infact, if he doesnt move to us in January and he moves abroad I would doubt that Chelsea could break even and get the 24m they paid for him.

Im not sure they'd even get 20m for a wantaway player who is surplus to requirements.

I understand that teams like PSG can outbid United aswel as being a preferable destination for Chelsea..

But am I the only one who thinks they wouldn't outbid us? Infact, if he doesnt move to us in January and he moves abroad I would doubt that Chelsea could break even and get the 24m they paid for him.

Im not sure they'd even get 20m for a wantaway player who is surplus to requirements.

They got £18 + add ons for De Bruyne. They will easily get £30m for Mata.

I think we're the only team willing to buy him now to be honest. And Chelsea would know they wouldn't get as much if they sell abroad in the summer.

I think we're the only team willing to buy him now to be honest. And Chelsea would know they wouldn't get as much if they sell abroad in the summer.

Based on what? I think there will be plenty of interest in him either now or in the summer. I struggle to see any scenario where Mata goes for below £35m and I think they could fetch that now or in the summer. I think you're looking at it very optimistically, which is fair enough, but I don't think you're the only club that will show interest.

Also, doesn't a received transfer fee comply with the Financial Fair Play in terms of being reinvested? Chelsea badly need a striker...

They got £18 + add ons for De Bruyne. They will easily get £30m for Mata.

Fair point. On reflection it's a ridiculously low number for a player of his quality - but I'm not sure why I just don't think it screams big money.

Honestly though, I think that United is probably a more preferable destination for Mata than PSG.

It helps in his bid to get Rooney, he can use it to feed his ego, he can spin this as a brave risk, where he wasn't afraid to sell one of his best players to a rival etc.etc.

Remember this?

Jose Mourinho has insisted Manchester United should not be scared of selling Wayne Rooney to Chelsea.

United have rejected two bids for Rooney ahead of tomorrow night’s clash between the two clubs, insisting they do not want to sell to a rival – but Chelsea will try again with a new £40million offer after the Old Trafford match.

Asked if he would sell one of his best players to a rival, Chelsea boss Mourinho replied: “Yes. You see it happen in Italy every season without a problem.

“I don’t know why it doesn’t happen here. I don’t think the old-fashioned mentality of ‘I don’t sell players to the clubs in the same country’ helps the market.

“It doesn’t help the players and sometimes you push players abroad when you should be interested in making sure they play in your league.

“When you keep players in your league, you are contributing to making your league the best. So when you want to sell and you push the players abroad, I think you are giving the wrong contribution to the league.”

Mourinho used William Gallas as an example of letting an unhappy player leave to join a rival.

Defender Gallas moved to Arsenal in 2006 as part of the deal that saw Chelsea sign Ashley Cole. Perhaps that gives United encouragement that Mourinho would sacrifice Juan Mata to land Rooney.

“We had Arjen Robben unhappy, we sold him to Real Madrid because he wanted so much to go to Madrid,” said Mourinho. “We had William Gallas unhappy, we sold him to Arsenal.

“I was so sad about Gallas because he was fundamental for us. But he want, he want, he want, he want to go and we couldn’t stop him, so we decided NOT to stop him.

AFP

Mourinho doesn't see why United shouldn't sell Rooney to the Blues

“As you know, in this club it wasn’t an economical problem. The player just wanted to go. [Ricardo] Carvalho and [John] Terry were playing central defence all the time and he [Gallas] wanted to be first choice all the time.

“He was playing many matches in a position that wasn’t his best position. He was playing left-back and sometimes Wayne Bridge was playing, so he wasn’t happy.
So we thought it was a fair situation to sell William in the end.

“Many times players are unhappy because they want new contracts. Other times they are unhappy because they want to leave.

“Sometimes they are happy and the agents are unhappy, and it is all about a new contract and more money. But after two days they are happy again! Other times, it’s because they really want to go.”

Mourinho dismissed conspiracy theories that he has talked up his interest in Rooney to try to destabilise Premier League champions United.

“I don’t understand those theories because it is normal that we would want to strengthen our squad in every position,” said Mourinho.

“We did it from the goalkeeper, we did it in midfield, in the creative positions, we did it in the striker’s position where we have kept the players we had last year and a player returned from loan.

“It is basic and normal, and we want to give more quality to the whole structure. It is obvious that the striker position was a position we would try to improve.”

He'd be another to add to the list of players Mourinho was brave enough to let leave.

Based on what? I think there will be plenty of interest in him either now or in the summer. I struggle to see any scenario where Mata goes for below £35m and I think they could fetch that now or in the summer. I think you're looking at it very optimistically, which is fair enough, but I don't think you're the only club that will show interest.
He wants out, if the press are to believed. There's an abundance of attacking midfield players in world football now. He wouldn't get into Madrid or Barcelona's side. Bayern and Dortmund I can't see going for him. Italy probably couldn't fund a move for him. Leaving ourselves and the French sugar daddy's really. I don't think PSG would be as pushed to bring him now, just looking at their squad. Chelsea's and Mata's options are a bit limited right now.

He wants out, if the press are to believed. There's an abundance of attacking midfield players in world football now. He wouldn't get into Madrid or Barcelona's side. Bayern and Dortmund I can't see going for him. Italy probably couldn't fund a move for him. Leaving ourselves and the French sugar daddy's really. I don't think PSG would be as pushed to bring him now, just looking at their squad. Chelsea's and Mata's options are a bit limited right now.

I wouldn't exactly say you particularly need him at the moment either looking at your squad. I wouldn't have said Bayern needed Thiago, I wouldn't have said Arsenal needed Ozil, I wouldn't have said Chelsea needed Schurrle, I wouldn't have said Barcelona needed Neymar. I'd argue all of these players were signed when the squads have more pressing needs or already have a surplus of players in their position. It hasn't stopped them being signed.

Yeah. Also, I don't think it necessarily means we will give them Rooney in summer or for that matter sell him abroad. Our stand on Rooney has been polar opposite to Chelsea's on Mata (though not explicitly made clear by Chelsea side). If anything, this will give Rooney the assurance that we can still sign big players and he will be ready to sign contract extension even if we miss out on CL. Worse case, he wants to leave, we can sell him abroad and we have a creative player, 4 years younger signed up already.
Let's see how it pans out. For now, all eyes on getting Mata signed up :drool:

I wouldn't exactly say you particularly need him at the moment either looking at your squad. I wouldn't have said Bayern needed Thiago, I wouldn't have said Arsenal needed Ozil, I wouldn't have said Chelsea needed Schurrle, I wouldn't have said Barcelona needed Neymar. I'd argue all of these players were signed when the squads have more pressing needs or already have a surplus of players in their position. It hasn't stopped them being signed.
We need the lift more than anything. Look at Özil's effect at Arsenal.

Yeah. Also, I don't think it necessarily means we will give them Rooney in summer or for that matter sell him abroad. Our stand on Rooney has been polar opposite to Chelsea's on Mata (though not explicitly made clear by Chelsea side). If anything, this will give Rooney the assurance that we can still sign big players and he will be ready to sign contract extension even if we miss out on CL. Worse case, he wants to leave, we can sell him abroad and we have a creative player, 4 years younger signed up already.
Let's see how it pans out. For now, all eyes on getting Mata signed up :drool:

I'm sure Rooney will be chuffed at having more competition for his place. It wouldn't surprise me to see you sign Mata, but should it happen I think Rooney is as good as gone.

Incidentally, how do Liverpool fans feel about Mata to United? Reckon it could effect the race for fourth spot?

I'm sure Rooney will be chuffed at having more competition for his place. It wouldn't surprise me to see you sign Mata, but should it happen I think Rooney is as good as gone.

:lol: Why would it be competition to Rooney's place? Mata can be deployed on left.

RvP
Mata-Rooney-Januzaj

This front 4 can interchange positions throughout the game. Don't think Rooney will have problem with it.
You thinking or you hoping Rooney is as good as gone? ;)

Let's look at it this way. If we don't sign some class player like Mata and end up languishing in the league + missing out on CL, what's our leverage on Rooney?

So one step at a time. If Mata is available now, get him. And deal with Rooney later.

Does he have some relative working at United's restaurant, tea garden, toilets? :p

I heard De Gea is his brother from another father and mother. Don't think how it works out, but it is true for sure. Again, ITK friend told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.