Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams need width. All teams use width, its just where and how that differs. Width isnt just about firing in crosses. There are many uses, situations and places where width is applied. Stop thinking in such 1 dimensional ways.

There is a difference between needing width and relying on width.

He's a player I've long admired and was upset he went to those cnuts in the first place.

He's made for United IMO and I felt the same about RVP when we signed him.

Play Carrick and Fletcher as holding midfielders with Mata, Rooney and Januzaj behind RVP.

4th place would suddenly look a lot more likely. Plus, I reckon we'd spank a few sides at OT and start to rebuild the fear factor for sides coming to OT.

Can't really get excited about Mata, especially at the prices that are being thrown around. As Gaz said on TV, Moyes would have to change his system in order to accomodate him.

And what's wrong with that? Mata at 35-40m is far better value than Coentrao at 12m. Coentrao can't even get in ahead of Marcelo, there's no way he's good enough for United.

Is this supposed to mean that Marcelo isn't even that good a left back?

He's good enough for La Liga. He's prone to losing his head and making last ditch tackles because he gets caught out of position too high up the pitch. He may be a bit more turned on than Evra but he's still more likely to concede the foul just because he's a bit of a hot headed pillock. If Coentrao can't get in ahead of a bit of a liability, he's not going to get in ahead of Evra and if he does more fool Moyes.

Can't really get excited about Mata, especially at the prices that are being thrown around. As Gaz said on TV, Moyes would have to change his system in order to accomodate him.
Yes, and the first step towards doing that would be to sign him...

You're hugely under rating both Marcelo and Coentrao

Maybe I am but regarding Coentrao, people only want him because they're desperate for a signing and they think he's coming from a top club. He's a Real Madrid cast-off, he's not good enough at all.

Moyes needs to get the current group of players performing at their peak potential. He needs to demonstrate the capacity to do that soon. If he doesn't, there's no guarantee he will be able to get any new players he buys to do it either.

Moyes needs to get the current group of players performing at their peak potential. He needs to demonstrate the capacity to do that soon. If he doesn't, there's no guarantee he will be able to get any new players he buys to do it either.

I'd argue that players like Welbeck, Rooney, Januzaj, Valencia and Rafael have been playing to their full capacity. Welbeck has been on goal-scoring form, Rooney has been pretty much carrying the team for a while and as has Januzaj. This is as good as it gets with Valencia to be quite honest and Rafael is easily our most consistent defender, when fit.

Maybe I am but regarding Coentrao, people only want him because they're desperate for a signing and they think he's coming from a top club. He's a Real Madrid cast-off, he's not good enough at all.

Yes I agree he's over rated and the club certainly has something to do with that, as does the ridiculous fee he was bought for by Madrid - I think he's the second most expensive fullback ever after Alves. That said he's still better than Evra, and Marcelo certainly is.

Yes I agree he's over rated and the club certainly has something to do with that, as does the ridiculous fee he was bought for by Madrid - I think he's the second most expensive fullback ever after Alves. That said he's still better than Evra, and Marcelo certainly is.

If we want value though, we are far better hedging our bets on Fabio coming good and keeping Buttner on as cover for the bottom feeder matches.

It is a world cup year and Mata needs to be playing, Spain aren't exactly short of players. If he were English he could go all season and not play and still be picked.

He first needs to lift the whole place, get that confidence going again one way to do that is make a big signing. We saw the effect RVP had last year and even though Ozil has played quite poorly that signing lifted the Arsenal players. If we sign Mata and its a big if I think we would see a simular effect. I think of the defence we have quality players there but they are playing with such low confidence imo because they know we are struggling to score alot of goals and really they need to keep clean sheets to win games, if we had more creativity which Mata brings I think the defence as a whole will relax and stop making these indvidual errors. I think getting Rooney to sign his contract would do a simular thing we need to do something big that will bring a response from all the players.

He first needs to lift the whole place, get that confidence going again one way to do that is make a big signing. We saw the effect RVP had last year and even though Ozil has played quite poorly that signing lifted the Arsenal players. If we sign Mata and its a big if I think we would see a simular effect. I think of the defence we have quality players there but they are playing with such low confidence imo because they know we are struggling to score alot of goals and really they need to keep clean sheets to win games, if we had more creativity which Mata brings I think the defence as a whole will relax and stop making these indvidual errors. I think getting Rooney to sign his contract would do a simular thing we need to do something big that will bring a response from all the players.

Exactly. It's a best-defence-is-a-good-offense type move.

Some people tend to underestimate just how much of a negative impact Valencia/Young is having on us. It's not just about them playing poorly.

Teams line up against us more aggressively because of them, resulting us in being on the back foot before a ball is even kicked.

If Moyes recognizes this and is not averse to changing the system, ready to at least try and shed his Everton just-don't-lose mentality, then he'd take one tiny baby step towards persuading me he's at least not totally clueless.

In all seriousness I doubt Moyes has done nearly enough background work on Mata to even consider making a move for him now.

In all seriousness I doubt Moyes has done nearly enough background work on Mata to even consider making a move for him now.

I'm pretty sure our scouts would be keeping tabs on players like Mata all the time, hence the RVP situation, and it would have been going on long before Moyes even got the United job.

Status
Not open for further replies.