Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on you Chelsea cnuts. Give him to us.

Ah right, thanks. If Arsenal can pay £40m for Ozil, we should be able to match that for Mata. Would be a fantastic signing but might mean goodbye for Kagawa.
In the grand scheme of improving the team...I really don't think anyone would mind. Mad Winger aside...

Ah right, thanks. If Arsenal can pay £40m for Ozil, we should be able to match that for Mata. Would be a fantastic signing but might mean goodbye for Kagawa.

I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand Kagawa has never really settled down at OT and he would be the ideal bargaining chip to get Gundogan at a decent price. On the other hand, he's the ideal player to tap the Asian market.

Surely this signing goes against everything Moyes has shown us tactically in his reign?

We're the most one-dimensional team in the league: Get it quickly out wide to a winger hugging the touch line, try to get in a cross. Rinse. Repeat.

Mata is a wonderful footballer, but it would be as big a waste as sticking Kagawa out there.

Unless...could Moyes be changing to something more inline with today's top teams? I scarcely dare to dream. The sheer technical ability of this:
---Janujaz---Rooney---Mata---
--------------RVP-------------

Or Kagawa in for Rooney...

He's at this all the time, and it's boring. Even in the Summer, Carragher was suggesting that Moyes may do something different with our wide players, Neville stopped him in his tracks and told him that "Manchester United are all about the wings. The club will change him, not the other way around."

He's very set in his ways when it comes to this kind of thing and I guess it's the old romantic in him. If we hired somebody like Guardiola I can well imagine that his punditry would be a little more critical, similar to the way in which he targets our younger foreign players - Rafael, Kagawa, De Gea - more so than he would Cleverley or Welbeck. To be honest, I don't like his punditry when it comes to United. He's brilliant elsewhere though.

It used to be the opposition mantra to "stop the wingers and you stop United." Not true of course, but I've lost count of the times I've heard it going back to the days of Best, Morgan, Coppell, Hill, Kanchelskis, and, more recently, Ronaldo. Even if opponents could nullify the threat of those players, we had options in the middle that more than compensated. Yes, United have always played wingers, but we were never, ever, totally reliant on them. Nowadays, that's changed a bit. If Valencia and Young are kept quiet, there's no Plan B. We can't lump everything onto Januzaj to create, or Nani for that matter, even if he was fit.

Surely this signing goes against everything Moyes has shown us tactically in his reign?

We're the most one-dimensional team in the league: Get it quickly out wide to a winger hugging the touch line, try to get in a cross. Rinse. Repeat.

Mata is a wonderful footballer, but it would be as big a waste as sticking Kagawa out there.

Unless...could Moyes be changing to something more inline with today's top teams? I scarcely dare to dream. The sheer technical ability of this:

Or Nani in for Rooney so we have an actual winger out left. You've got to admit though, that front four looks :drool:

Can't really get excited about Mata, especially at the prices that are being thrown around. As Gaz said on TV, Moyes would have to change his system in order to accomodate him.

Wow. That's revolutionary. I'm sure Moyes has never even thought of something like that.

It's not like he's tried using Kagawa or Januzaj in that narrow wide man type role...oh wait...

So what's the word. Last window we were all banging on about a Rooney swap deal. Is that notion dumped now? £40mil straight up instead? Buy him.

Wow. That's revolutionary. I'm sure Moyes has never even thought of something like that.

It's not like he's tried using Kagawa or Januzaj in that narrow wide man type role...oh wait...

He may have 'put' them there, but he certainly didn't instruct them to play like an 'inside-forward'. That or they didn't listen.

Can't really get excited about Mata, especially at the prices that are being thrown around. As Gaz said on TV, Moyes would have to change his system in order to accomodate him.
Shouldn't him changing the system be something worth being excited about? Surely nobody wants us to play as we've played the last 3-4 years. It's shit, not entertaining and without sir Alex, doesn't work.

It isn't as if the media would make up a story to try and make the last few days of a transfer window seem considerably more exciting. What is in it for them, other than sales and advertising revenue?

The time when a club played with two conventional wingers is over. Wingers are expected to do more than hug the line and cross the ball. That's one of the reasons why United are struggling at the moment.

Januzaj and Mata will inject creativity and unpredictability to the side. Both players can cut inside, create and score goals.

He may have 'put' them there, but he certainly didn't instruct them to play like an 'inside-forward'. That or they didn't listen.

Both Januzaj and Kagawa are coming inside more than they go out wide when they start from that position. Evra is basically our width down the left, with Kagawa/Januzaj coming in behind the front men. Fair enough, Valencia hugs the touchline, but could he play any other way? We're a bit limited in what we can do at the moment with the players we have.

Shouldn't him changing the system be something worth being excited about? Surely nobody wants us to play as we've played the last 3-4 years. It's shit, not entertaining and without sir Alex, doesn't work.

It would if it were the right player in the right system. I'm sure Mata would improve us, but 37m is a massive gamble and probably a panic buy at this stage. Gaz makes a pretty good point about it here.

They are in the same bracket, for sure. I'm not sure it does mean the end for Kagawa. Januzaj, Kagawa and Mata behind RVP with the imminent departure of Rooney doesn't look too bad for me.

Ah feck it, Ed will be involved in this. To the DHL sponsorship deal thread!

It used to be the opposition mantra to "stop the wingers and you stop United." Not true of course, but I've lost count of the times I've heard it going back to the days of Best, Morgan, Coppell, Hill, Kanchelskis, and, more recently, Ronaldo. Even if opponents could nullify the threat of those players, we had options in the middle that more than compensated. Yes, United have always played wingers, but we were never, ever, totally reliant on them. Nowadays, that's changed a bit. If Valencia and Young are kept quiet, there's no Plan B. We can't lump everything onto Januzaj to create, or Nani for that matter, even if he was fit.

Yeah, I agree.

Well our current system is not working very well, so its time for a system change.

Not necessarily. Mata, Kagawa and Januzaj behind a forward would be a great prospect.

They are in the same bracket, for sure. I'm not sure it does mean the end for Kagawa. Januzaj, Kagawa and Mata behind RVP with the imminent departure of Rooney doesn't look too bad for me.
Yeah they are, and he currently plays for a premier league rival so there's that to consider price-wise. As for not being the end for Kagawa, well that's assuming of course Rooney's departure is imminent.

Not sure if posted, but...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-united-for-fee-in-excess-of-40m-9075585.html

Transfer news: Chelsea prepared to sell Juan Mata to Manchester United for fee in excess of £40m
juan-matav2.jpg

Jose Mourinho must still give his approval, but that is looking increasingly likely
Sam Wallace
plus.png
, Ian Herbert
Tuesday 21 January 2014
facebook.png

twitter.png

googleplus.png

linkedin.png

reddit.png

share.png

Print
Your friend's email address
Your email address
Note: We do not store your email address(es) but your IP address will be logged to prevent abuse of this feature. Please read our Legal Terms & Policies
A A A
Email

Chelsea are prepared to sell Juan Mata to Manchester United this week for more than £40m with a deal close and now just requiring a final seal of approval from Jose Mourinho who has, thus far, agreed the player can go.
As of this afternoon, Chelsea were still discussing their final course of action but there is an acknowledgement that the situation the club finds itself in, with a big-name player frustrated and out the team, cannot be allowed to continue.
There have been inquiries for Mata from Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona, as well as a longstanding interest from Tottenham Hotspur, but none of those clubs have come close to offering the kind of deal that United will propose. Chelsea rate Mata, who has two further seasons on his contract, as of similar value to Mesut Ozil who cost Arsenal more than £42m in the summer.
The ultimate decision will rest with Mourinho, who could yet veto the move this month. However, Mourinho recognises that Mata's recent failure to get any first team game-time - he has not played since reacting angrily to being substituted against Southampton on 1 January - has caused tension behind the scenes at the club.
The player himself is unhappy, although not disruptive. Mourinho is aware that keeping the player on the bench in his current role as an understudy to the Brazilian Oscar is not a long-term option. While in an ideal world, Chelsea would keep the 25-year-old, the respect for Mata at the club means they accept that may not be possible.
At £40-45m, Mata would be United's record signing. Chelsea are also aware of the pressures of Uefa financial fair play compliance. In their last accounts Chelsea said that they will comply with FFP, over the most recent monitoring period, keeping losses within the limit of 45m euros (£37.5m).
Since then they have made a net spend with the acquisition of Nemanja Matic offset by the potential sale of Kevin De Bruyne. Allowing Mata to leave would give them some scope to spend. In the event of a sale, they plan either to sign cover this window or promote a member of the academy squad as cover.

Well our current system is not working very well, so its time for a system change.

Exactly, is it such a bad prospect? Our style based in width is clearly outdated and doesn't bring results anymore so a switch to something potentially more exciting and perhaps more efficient would be a welcome change.

Moyes may have to make a change to the system? feck, and it was working so well for us.

If changing the system means we play a 4-2-3-1 style like Chelsea and Arsenal too, then what the feck are we waiting for?

Oh and Ekeke , your wumming is incredibly boring.

Exactly, is it such a bad prospect? Our style based in width is clearly outdated and doesn't bring results anymore so a switch to something potentially more exciting and perhaps more efficient would be a welcome change.

Agreed. I think a system change is what we need. If Moyes wants to change the system and buy Mata and keep Rooney,Kagawa and RVP then I hope the board back him.

I'm going to light some candles and in incense, then I am going to f.a.p hard to this.

Teams need width. All teams use width, its just where and how that differs. Width isnt just about firing in crosses. There are many uses, situations and places where width is applied. Stop thinking in such 1 dimensional ways.

They're all reporting this with a fair amount of certainty. I don't why I do this to myself but this does actually seem to have some major legs.

It would if it were the right player in the right system. I'm sure Mata would improve us, but 37m is a massive gamble and probably a panic buy at this stage. Gaz makes a pretty good point about it here.
Any signing will be labeled a panic buy at this stage. And we do bed I panic buy. It would be a more sure thing then most of the other signings we could get as well. He's proven to be a world class attacking midfielder, be it out wide or in the middle.

Neville is just worried that we'll lose our tradition of using out and out wingers like Valencia, which we should do away with. We're not going to bring him in to shove on the wing and keep playing a 4-4-2 when every single other top team in the world has moved towards a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. 4-4-2 is our tradition because sir Alex loved it and he's been our manger for the past quarter of a century. It's time to evolve with the times and adapt in order to play better and become a top team again. It's not like teams like Chelsea have no width playing mata like players. They're just different type of wide players and are a lot better an more beneficial to your overall play.

Certainly would. However I also agree with Carragher that it probably signals Rooney is off in the summer in which case he's a perfect replacement. I dont think it makes much sense otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.