Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not worry about formations for now. Think about the morale boost the signing will provide to the players, which could potentially lead to a winning run and getting 4th place. This squad is desperately low in confidence so we need a big signing just to lift spirits, which Mata is. He's also not just playing football, but doing a double degree at university at the moment (irrelevant to the discussion). Always hated seeing him play for Chelsea because he's one of my favourite players in the PL.
Such a random piece of information to share! :lol: What's he studying?

Makes me even more irate why we did not go for Ozil if we knew Rooney was not going to sign a new contract with us. Should have just done those deals in the summer and moved on.

If they are asking for 37m for Mata (take it or leave it) then we can say Rooney is worth 60m (take it or leave it).
Whut? That's crazy logic.

We need a lot of things, it's not just about strengthening cm. If Rooney is leaving we'll need a quality replacement. Even if he's staying we might need an upgrade on Kagawa as he doesn't look like reaching his best level here. If both are staying we may be changing to a narrower system anyway.

That said, it seems slightly strange that we're in for Mata now yet turned down Ozil in the summer.

Why is it childish logic? Surely Rooney is worth more than Mata? Why is it that United always has to sell its players at reduced prices? feck that. We are selling to a main rival here. The price should be inflated if that is the case. The same they are doing with Mata

Makes me even more irate why we did not go for Ozil if we knew Rooney was not going to sign a new contract with us. Should have just done those deals in the summer and moved on.

If they are asking for 37m for Mata (take it or leave it) then we can say Rooney is worth 60m (take it or leave it).

Problem is that while they are in a position to negotiate - they are comfortable at the top, got Oscar at #10 anyway and Mata's a bench warmer - we are not. We're in the fight for 4th spot and basically need any guns that can improve us. Don't know what the contract length on Mata's contract is but Rooney's got only 18 months left on his.

We can say that Roo's worth 60 mln quid, but if nobody will come in for him for such price, we'll pull out another Lewandowski basically.

Why is it childish logic? Surely Rooney is worth more than Mata? Why is it that United always has to sell its players at reduced prices? feck that. We are selling to a main rival here. The price should be inflated if that is the case. The same they are doing with Mata
Um, no? Mata is 2.5 years younger, has been the better player for the last few years, and has far longer left on his contract. How in the name of god can Rooney possibly be worth an extra £23m on him? It's mad!

Matas much younger and has 4 years on his contract. You're childish logic didn't take either of these into account.

We've got to be careful we dont allow ourselves to be played in this situation because we appear to be, and are, desperate. we dont have a very strong hand but we need Woodward to up his game and play it well to ensure we get a decent deal, if this swap deal is how its going to go.

Um, no? Mata is 2.5 years younger, has been the better player for the last few years, and has far longer left on his contract. How in the name of god can Rooney possibly be worth an extra £23m on him? It's mad!
Tbf mata has only been better one of the past 2.5 seasons.

Bringing Mata in would significantly reduce to inevitable blow of losing Rooney. Hope there's plenty of truth to this. Can only see it in the Summer though.

Lets buy Mata then change our minds about selling Rooney in the summer.

Or we agree now and then in the summer, instead of sending Rooney, we drive both Valencia and Young down to Chelsea, and leave them outside Cobham training ground.

Bringing Mata in would significantly reduce to inevitable blow of losing Rooney. Hope there's plenty of truth to this. Can only see it in the Summer though.
He needs to move now due to the world cup. A lot of players would push for a move but he doesn't look like the kind of guy who would kick up a fuss if he didn't get his way.

Matas much younger and has 4 years on his contract. You're childish logic didn't take either of these into account.

Mata is a bench warmer, a surplus at Chelsea. Rooney is a player in his prime that has been a proven world class striker for years now. Chelsea are desperate for him, this is clear. Rooney has been playing out of position for a couple seasons now. He was prolific for us when we played him up top and this season has been our best player by far. English players are always overvalued and overpriced. The only world class English recognised player in the world at the moment is Wayne Rooney.

The contract is an issue no doubt with only 18 months left however. We should be looking to sell Rooney at a premium price. No need to be patronising with the childish logic comments. Lets keep it civil and none of the sarcy comments.

Re: Manuel Neuer, the point is he is a world class player we don't need. I'm not convinced we need Mata either.

Re: Fellaini, I think that United again spending big in an area outside of central midfield may suggest Moyes feels the area isn't as urgent as we do. He did buy a midfielder 'of sorts' in the summer whom he has barely had available to him, so he may not agree with our clamour and feel other areas need to be strengthened more than midfield.

Tbf mata has only been better one of the past 2.5 seasons.
I think overall he was better on his debut season too, even though Rooney got all those goals, he wasn't actually that good (weird to say, I know, but that's what I thought), I much prefer the Rooney of this season before he got injured that actually contributed so much to our overall game to the Rooney who is used primarily to get goals like in 09/10 and 11/12. And it's not really fair to compare this season seeing as Mata hasn't really had any game time.

I'm not sure who's better, maybe Rooney is at his best, but Mata's younger and probably just as talented a footballer.

He needs to move now due to the world cup. A lot of players would push for a move but he doesn't look like the kind of guy who would kick up a fuss if he didn't get his way.
Don't know about that last line. He does seem a nice guy but he was clearly pissed at being subbed his last game and hasn't featured in 3 weeks since. Seems like words were had.

I'd also add that whilst he's obviously better in the #10 he's still a quality player from the left. That's where he spent his Valencia days iirc.

... but that's the main reason it's crazy.

"I'm not a cnut, well, if you don't count the fact that I murder people"
:D

Well, we bought a 29 year old injury-prone striker :nervous: in the last year of his contract for 24M. Surely Rooney would go for more.

Children are naive, and it's naive to think that we'll get 60 million for Wayne Rooney with 18 months left on his contract, at the age of 28 and shitloads on wages.
Mata might be a bench-warmer, but unlike us, Chelsea can afford to have him there. He is on a longer contract and is younger.
If you think 37 million for Juan Mata is so outrageous that we should put price-tag of 60 million on Rooney then you can't have seen Mata played, at all.
That or you think we should let Rooney run down his contract and sign for whoever he wants for free.*

* Assuming he does not sign a new contract.

What's a Mata Mou, Hey, gotta no respect, whatya tink you do, Why you looka so sad, Itsa not so bad, bench is not a nice place, Ah shaddapa you face.

Children are naive, and it's naive to think that we'll get 60 million for Wayne Rooney with 18 months left on his contract, at the age of 28 and shitloads on wages.
Mata might be a bench-warmer, but unlike us, Chelsea can afford to have him there. He is on a longer contract and is younger.
If you think 37 million for Juan Mata is so outrageous that we should put price-tag of 60 million on Rooney then you can't have seen Mata played, at all.
That or you think we should let Rooney run down his contract and sign for whoever he wants for free.*

* Assuming he does not sign a new contract.
Its the club who keep saying that is the plan. Though that is a sensible position to take publicly and Im sure isnt how they want to play it.

:D

Well, we bought a 29 year old injury-prone striker :nervous: in the last year of his contract for 24M. Surely Rooney would go for more.
I think it's more so the comparison between him and Mata that was the ridiculous thing there. If Mata = 37m, Rooney = 60m, somehow.

Not to mention that over the course of a 4 year contract he'd cost c. £20m less in wages.

I would prefer we kept Rooney and not get Mata.

Mata isnt even the player we really need anyway (Not saying I dont rate him, he is a great little player)

I think it's more so the comparison between him and Mata that was the ridiculous thing there. If Mata = 37m, Rooney = 60m, somehow.
I would do a straight swap and have done with it. Seriously.

I would prefer we kept Rooney and not get Mata.

Mata isnt even the player we really need anyway (Not saying I dont rate him, he is a great little player)
Do you mean that on the assumption Rooney stays to finish his career with us? Or would you keep him till the end of his current contract just to stop Chelsea having him? If keeping Rooney for the next 3 or 4 years is an option then it would be my preference as well, I just suspect it isnt.

Surely this is Chelsea angling for a swap deal with Rooney, I can't believe we'd contemplate £37M for Mata after fecking around with the Fabregas bids in the summer.

Does anyone believe that Chelsea offered us Mata/Luiz + cash for Rooney in the summer as was reported?

Status
Not open for further replies.