Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can it possibly end in failure for them if it's only a rumor and they never had any intention of going after Mata at all?

Hence the quotation marks, it doesn't have to be real to be added to the list by journos, ABUs and some of our own fans.

It is clear there is interest on our behalf now and we'll probably submit (or have submitted) a bid.

It may be the Thiago saga all over again but it Juan Mata if we sign him :D

Mata is a guy we should def go for if Mourinho really doesn't want him anymore.

/muppetmode.on

Then add Draxler next summer into the mix and our attacking midfield would all of a sudden look really good. Draxler - Mata - Januzaj

Just imagine the goals RvP could score with that much creativity and passing skills behind him.

:drool:

/muppetmode.off

Do Mata, Draxler and Januzaj have physiotherapy degrees?

How can it possibly end in failure for them if it's only a rumor and they never had any intention of going after Mata at all?

Maybe because the reaction on here proves this is everything they should be doing.

Aside from the on pitch benifts of signing Mata, it would also allay fears over the consequences of losing Rooney in the summer and our general ability to attract top quality players.

As for finishing top 4 this season, signing a player like Mata will certainly do more for us than signing a player like Cabaye, even though cm is where we need to strengthen the most.

Maybe because the reaction on here proves this is everything they should be doing.
It proves nothing because we've no idea how factual all these rumors are. There's no way it can be seen as a failure if they don't actually do anything at all.

if I told you to go talk to a hot girl in a club because I tell you she's definitely up for blowing you, and you refuse, does that make you a failure?

Gary coming out with something meaningless there. The philosophy of any club is what the manager decides based on factors including the roster of players at his disposal.

Gary coming out with something meaningless there. The philosophy of any club is what the manager decides based on factors including the roster of players at his disposal.

The Nevilles annoy me, especially Gary. Its irrational and I cannot explain it but they just do.

Anyway, there seems to be no more momentum to this story. Whats probably happened is that someone got wind that United are indeed interested in Mata and ran with it. If there is genuine interest there probably wont be anything happening until the summer. I highly doubt now that he will be in red come Feb 1st.

If the club's philosophy involves playing crap wingers like Valencia, Nani and Young over an actual quality player like Mata then I'm more than happy to see some change. Of all the things this club stands for, using wingers is probably the most trivial.

I'd actually rather we bid for nobody rather than bidding and ending up looking dicks again. If we think we can get Mata and are willing to pay what that'd take - great. But if we're going to talk bollocks to the press until the deadline and then reveal we failed with a £14m offer - they can get fecked.

I felt guilty when I got rid of wingers as United in Football Manager and used 3 attacking midfielders behind the striker. I then won 4 consecutive leagues and a CL, so I think that says everything. Take note Moyes.

-------------De Gea
-------Smalling Jones Evans
Rafael----------------------Evra
---------Carrick--Fletcher
--------------Mata
--------Rooney-----RVP

Would love to see it. Even with Kagawa in for Mata. Makes too much sense though, not going to happen.

Edit: Not sure where this leaves Januzaj though..back to the drawing board!

Last edited:
I felt guilty when I got rid of wingers as United in Football Manager and used 3 attacking midfielders behind the striker. I then won 4 consecutive leagues and a CL, so I think that says everything. Take note Moyes.

Wingers should be an option to utilise not 'Plan A'. The game has moved on so much in the last few years tactically and technically it's almost painful to see 'get to the byline and whip it in' as a prevailing tactic.

Wingers should be an option to utilise not 'Plan A'. The game has moved on so much in the last few years tactically and technically it's almost painful to see 'get to the byline and whip it in' as a prevailing tactic.

I wouldn't say playing wingers in a 4-4-2 is necessarily the problem. The bigger problem is how effing shite Valencia, Young and Nani have been. If we had the same wingers in form, I don't think we would have such a big problem. Sure we may get found out tactically in the big games, but I don't think the situation would be this dire.

Fergie played Valencia and Young in a 4-4-2 away to City last year (granted we had RvP and Rooney fit). But I think it's also the form and quality of our wingers that's the problem. I don't necessarily believe a system can become archaic overnight.

I'd actually rather we bid for nobody rather than bidding and ending up looking dicks again. If we think we can get Mata and are willing to pay what that'd take - great. But if we're going to talk bollocks to the press until the deadline and then reveal we failed with a £14m offer - they can get fecked.
The only thing we've apparently told the press is that we haven't made a bid.

Come on, let's just do it and give our whole squad a lift.

Is it just me or does there seem a bit more momentum behind this story than any other so far this month?

What does Moyes imagine happening here after the way they refused talks over Rooney in the summer?

Maybe if the deal included an option to have a fixed bid accepted for Rooney in the summer it could happen.

What does Moyes imagine happening here after the way they refused talks over Rooney in the summer?

Maybe if the deal included an option to have a fixed bid accepted for Rooney in the summer it could happen.

I would think Moyes will imagine that Chelsea understand football and that we refused talks as we did not want to and could not afford to sell a player. Chelsea would be well within their rights to refuse talks, but as they have a top quality player, worth a hell of a lot of money, not in their first team plans, they might be open to at least listen to any offers.

Would any of the current top 3 need him? I couldn't see him going anywhere else in Spain.
Unless I'm forgetting somebody, Real only have Ronaldo, Di Maria, Bale and Isco filling the positions behind Benzema. You could add Jese to that list, but I don't think he'd be a factor if Mata was to be available.

If Di Maria is unsettled as the rumours suggest, then having Ronaldo on one wing with Bale on the other and Isco and Mata fighting it out for the #10 spot then that's a cracking line up.

This smacks of Arsenal's Ozil deal. Wenger spent the whole summer chasing a striker and getting knocked back, and then thought 'feck it, any top player will do. I just need a top player' and bought Ozil, who he did not need. We have seemingly been knocked back by a few top central midfielders, so will just spend a shit load on any top player we can get.

Thing is, Ozil's arrival changed the whole mood around Arsenal, and hopefully, if Mata signs, it will do similar. Although I think it's slightly different in the sense that Ozil came from Real Madrid, and was a key player there. It lifts everyone to think your team can go out and get the man who wears the #10 shirt for Real Madrid for mega-bucks in his prime. It's a statement. Getting Mata from Chelsea isn't' quite the same I don't think.

I would think Moyes will imagine that Chelsea understand football and that we refused talks as we did not want to and could not afford to sell a player. Chelsea would be well within their rights to refuse talks, but as they have a top quality player, worth a hell of a lot of money, not in their first team plans, they might be open to at least listen to any offers.

Also think of this FFP rule also.

If a club is prepared to pay 35+ million, and if we are the only ones interested (somewhat doubtful but nonetheless) surely they would listen

Status
Not open for further replies.