Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's Mata in, I'm ecstatic. If it's Mata swap for Rooney I'm placated, it's a reasonable compensation for losing Rooney. I'm holding on to the hope that if we make good acquisitions for the squad Rooney will stick around.

We would only end up sticking him on the left wing to throw in crosses anyway, no point to this.

If it's Mata in, I'm ecstatic. If it's Mata swap for Rooney I'm placated, it's a reasonable compensation for losing Rooney. I'm holding on to the hope that if we make good acquisitions for the squad Rooney will stick around.

I would prefer to go into next season with Mata on a five year contract than Rooney on a one year contract anyway. There is also a part of me that is thinking that we need to move on from Wayne Rooney. I think that the status he has in his mind is greater than his status on the pitch.

@everyone

I can't understand people saying that Mata is not the type of player that we need. The guy slices open defences from all angles. Something that we fail to do miserably. He is exactly the type of player that we need!

By that token, there is no further point in supporting this club at all?​
:lol: Don't be a dick.

Just like Kagawa he would be played in his incorrect position. I'm just saying for £40M their are other winger's if our tactics remain the same.

I'm struggling to see how we buy Mata and keep Rooney. mainly due to the history of the situation between these two clubs. I think it's well-established Rooney wants to go to Chelsea with mourinho at the helm and Rooney is Mourinho's pick. I think the flirtation from him over the summer suggests that. I know people want to grab onto the hope that buying Mata will mean taht Rooney will stay. But we really dont know. Can't speak for Wayne and his aspirations but from what I've seen I dont think his future points to staying at United.

If Chelsea want Rooney and are willing to sell Mata, then I'm inclined to think there's some underlying agreement to give them Rooney at the end of the season or something. Although getting Mata now could give us an upperhand against the bigger teams, in the longer term, it could also help us challenge for the title again. So in effect, mourinho could be helping us become title challengers? Does he really want to do that by just giving away Mata? I'm not sure.

I'd be ecstatic with Mata signing but there are good reasons for this transfer happening/not happening.

Just like Kagawa he would be played in his incorrect position. I'm just saying for £40M their are other winger's if our tactics remain the same.

I'm not sure really, you can see Moyes trying to force wingers cut inside, you'll see Valencia inside more often than last season so that's definitely changing, Mata could do the same on the right wing I suppose.

Think of all the positives, he'd be 37 mln quid buy, that means he'd play. Possibly ahead of Young and Valencia. Think positively god damnit.

If there's any substance to these stories, it suggests to me that Moyes:

1) Intends to switch our system to a more fluid one

2) Intends to sell Rooney in the summer, possibly to Chelsea.

I don't see where Mata would fit into the current team setup unless as a creative left-sided midfielder ala David Silva.

The rumour is that 37m is the price Chelsea is asking for, not the bid we're considering. Pay that or nothing.

Seems to good to be true
article-2542982-1AD6417700000578-895_634x417.jpg

article-2542982-1AD6364100000578-358_634x634.jpg

So Woody's already preparing that £14million bid then?

:lol:

I hear he's been spotted at Manchester airport checking in for a flight to London. The words urgent transfer business were apparently uttered as he grabbed his boarding pass...

Seriously speaking though. We must sign Mata. I don't care if he doesn't fit in, I don't care if we already have players in his position. He's Juan Mata. You don't hear Arsenal saying lets not sign Ozil we've got loads of attacking midfielders do you?

We need a lift, we need a big player. Get Mata in. Play him as an inside right with Januzaj as an inside left and lets get this season started.

Poor Hernandez :(

The goal creator stat is wrong. Rooney has plenty of assists. And also, as long as Rooney's here, Mata is playing out wide even if he comes.

I would be mystified if this happens

Me too. Surely it could only happen as part of a Rooney swap. Absolutely crazy to sell to us if we are refusing to sell to them. And our priority has to be central midfield. If we have money left over once a quality centre midfielder has arrived, and a left back, then perhaps we might consider changing our wide players.

Personally, I suspect Mata's agent has leaked the story in the hope of tempting United into bidding.

Me too. Surely it could only happen as part of a Rooney swap. Absolutely crazy to sell to us if we are refusing to sell to them. And our priority has to be central midfield. If we have money left over once a quality centre midfielder has arrived, and a left back, then perhaps we might consider changing our wide players.

Personally, I suspect Mata's agent has leaked the story in the hope of tempting United into bidding.

Considering how productive our wide players have been this season (besides Januzaj) I can well believe this. There is a good case for getting shot of Valencia, Young and even Nani. Januzaj and Mata as inside forwards with overlapping full backs and two holding midfielders could be the way to go. 4-2-2-2 Brazil style. :p

Rooney will inevitabley leave and we need 2-3 new midfielders at least, that whole area of the team needs strengthening, Mata would be a great start.

If we do get him, Rooney will join Chelsea in the summer

I dont see how we can stop him anyways if he's made up his mind. If he refuses to sign an extension and has made it clear that he'l join Chelsea, getting Mata now with an agreement to sell rooney in the summer if they match the highest bid or bid a fixed pre decided amount wont be a bad idea.

I do think there's no real point in buying him unless we try and change up our "style" of play to actually make the most out of him as a player. £37m and then shove him wide in our terrible 4-4-2 system would be mental, but then, these have few months have been full of mental moments.

I don't know about Mata, but surely if we're serious about re hauling the squad, bring in a big name this window and then are clear about our intentions in the summer and rebuild a team capable of competing in the league AND Europe, Rooney could be convinced to stay.

If we miss the champions league this year I reckon we'll keep Rooney and take the hit. Cost us money in the short term but we've got a better chance of getting back into the top 4 with him here, even if we do make a couple of quality signings.

Thanks, hope they are wrong
They'll know nothing and will be repeating that mirror story which was no more than a punt. It came out about an hour after the story first broke and was nothing but opportunism. One of the big English media outlets will know this first.

Let's not worry about formations for now. Think about the morale boost the signing will provide to the players, which could potentially lead to a winning run and getting 4th place. This squad is desperately low in confidence so we need a big signing just to lift spirits, which Mata is. He's also not just playing football, but doing a double degree at university at the moment (irrelevant to the discussion). Always hated seeing him play for Chelsea because he's one of my favourite players in the PL.

Rooney hasn't yet signed a new contract. I'm not convinced he will, either. So if this is some kind of complex swap deal, I think it's a good idea and helps us cut our losses as well as getting a league proven, top class and younger player.

Mata isn't what we need in the slightest.

He isnt what we need the most but if we cant get our top targets now, it'd make sense to get him now and then get them in the summer. No point spending loads on dross just because they are available.

Mata on the right instead of Valencia would be a massive upgrade.

EDIT: didnt realize this was the twitter thread. moving the post.

I can understand your cynicism here but Kagawa and Mata are 2 very different animals. Also if Rooney is off, there would be a great chance of a tactical change, given that the remaining 3 strikers we have would all be line leading strikers.

Couldn't give less of a feck how much we paid for him. He's pure class. We're not signing a Fellaini here, we would be buying a world class player.

Sadly it's inevitable anyway I believe. The sooner we manage to get his replacement and let him bed in, the worse damage will we suffer when Rooney leaves.

Makes me even more irate why we did not go for Ozil if we knew Rooney was not going to sign a new contract with us. Should have just done those deals in the summer and moved on.

If they are asking for 37m for Mata (take it or leave it) then we can say Rooney is worth 60m (take it or leave it).

Status
Not open for further replies.