Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
This needs to happen badly. Then Moyes can stop playing so negative w Valencia and Young on the wings and go for some modern variant of a 4-3-3.

It's only a mata of time

In 2007-2008, we played with a 4-3-3. So honestly, Neville is talking shit when he says Manchester United always plays with wide men. Plus, Mata is too good a player to not sign, irrespective of squad fit. If it means forcing an under-performing Kagawa to the bench, then so be it.

I'm saying Neville has spouted a lot of shite this season, his word shouldn't be taken as gospel.

No one said it should be taken as gospel, but it does tend to have far more credibility than the orgy of gobshite one finds on internet forums.

No one said it should be taken as gospel, but it does tend to have far more credibility than the orgy of gobshite one finds on internet forums.

Well yeah, but Neville was incorrect to suggest Moyes has to play with traditional wingers. It's becoming an aging way to play the game.

He said Moyes may have a different philosophy in mind, hence the Mata link. Although (and I hate to bring money into it), I think that is far too much for Mata. 22-25m would seem appropriate given that he can't get into the Chelsea team and has played sparingly this year. If he had started all year and was in scintillating form, then a 30m + fee may be more warranted.

In 2007-2008, we played with a 4-3-3. So honestly, Neville is talking shit when he says Manchester United always plays with wide men. Plus, Mata is too good a player to not sign, irrespective of squad fit. If it means forcing an under-performing Kagawa to the bench, then so be it.

The formation doesnt determine width. the players roles do. You can have plenty of width with 433, just depends how you want the players to move. Honestly so many on here lack any creativity when thinking about tactics. Stuck in the rigid thinking that this formation or that means the style of play works a particular way. For example you can play counter attacking football with any formation. Get your blinkers off.
We have always used width, wide players dont have to be only wingers.

I would love for this to happen. Also Mata himself probably would like to move. He needs to play regularly ahead of the world cup, and he clearly can't do this at Chelsea.

All the papers leading with United making a £30-37m bid for Mata in the coming days.

Independent, Telegraph, etc.

All the reports this morning suggest we are "preparing" a bid...what does that even mean?

I can only think Chelsea have asked for Rooney in exchange or first option to buy him in the summer as part of any deal.

All the papers leading with United making a £30-37m bid for Mata in the coming days.

Independent, Telegraph, etc.

A lot of people on her previously convinced this would "never happen" because Chelsea wont sell.

May prove to be the case - but £37 million is an awful lot of money to turn down for a player who isnt needed.

BBC gossip column reckons Chelsea want £40m.

Frankly for a player of Matas class I would just pay it and be done with it. Beggars can't be choosers, we are lacking in quality and there won't be world class players available for peanuts now or in the summer.

We keep making noises about how we have money to spend, time to prove it.

Personally I see this happening.Chelsea know it will make us stronger, but it can't take us to a level any time soon to trouble them.They know we have Arsenal and City to play and we can do them a huge favour and having Mata can help us, one of the few teams in the league, to get important results against their closest rivals this season.That makes sense although it's not the reason for any sale, and it has been mentioned earlier in this conversation, but it will add fuel to any decsision to sell.Ultimately They have a player who is very unhappy and a player they obviously don't want/need and he can command a huge fee.I am sure there will be other offers but imagine he has made it clear he wants to join us or stick around on the bench! It's all very suspicious seeing as we've only been to the bridge two days earlier!! I think he'll sign and this will be a good start to the rebuilding process!

It'd be an incredible lift to everyone at the club but I'l be absolutely shocked if Chelsea sold him to us.

An attacking three of Rooney, Mata and Kagawa/Januzaj behind Van Persie easily bests Chelsea's attack on the whole, in my mind.

Of course we'd still have to find Carrick a partner and shore up the defense, but going from Valencia to Mata would do wonders for us.

I would imagine if they ever decide to sell Mata to us, they would probably use the Mata money to buy themselves a striker. Win-win?

He said Moyes may have a different philosophy in mind, hence the Mata link. Although (and I hate to bring money into it), I think that is far too much for Mata. 22-25m would seem appropriate given that he can't get into the Chelsea team and has played sparingly this year. If he had started all year and was in scintillating form, then a 30m + fee may be more warranted.
If he started all year and in scintillating form for Chelsea, then they wouldn't even consider selling him, and Mata himself wouldn't want a move. There's no rule on how much a player is, especially one that still have 4 years left on his contract. It's the selling club who set the price. If Chelsea feels that he worth 37M, then that's his price

Naah, we are their direct rivals. They wouldnt see if he was a cert starter and bang on form. The only reason this bid makes sense is that he cant get into that team. Even then, we'd need to pay a lot because we are direct rivals. A 20mil bid wouldnt even get a second glance imo, Chelsea dont need the cash.

If he started all year and in scintillating form for Chelsea, then they wouldn't even consider selling him, and Mata himself wouldn't want a move. There's no rule on how much a player is, especially one that still have 4 years left on his contract. It's the selling club who set the price. If Chelsea feels that he worth 37M, then that's his price

and its January and we are desperate.

Give them whatever they want, he is the kind of player we need and we desperately need a lift.

BBC gossip column reckons Chelsea want £40m.

Frankly for a player of Matas class I would just pay it and be done with it. Beggars can't be choosers, we are lacking in quality and there won't be world class players available for peanuts now or in the summer.

We keep making noises about how we have money to spend, time to prove it.

I agree, Moyes can't have another Fabregas debacle....if we are interested then we need to be swift

I suspect the complexity is around Rooney.

If Mourinho is planning to strengthen us for the remainder of the season to beat his rivals and it works. Well, you would have to call that a stroke of genius. Glorious pragmatism worthy of any great leader. Seems a little far fetched to me though.

I have to remain more cynical I am afraid. It seems that we are playing silly buggers again by releasing stories to the press, we are probably being led a merry dance by his agent as we were with another Spanish player in the summer.

I would love to see Mata here, sod Gary Neville and the Manchester United philosophy. I think that all fans just want to see us play exciting football befitting the legend of the club. Sorry Gary but 4-4-2 wing play does not inspire anymore. The world has moved on and so should we.

It would be hugely encouraging to see Moyes evolving his own footballing philosophy as a signing of Mata would suggest. For me that would represent a major step forward and is something that I would not expect from Moyes.

I live in hope but the truth is that I am a cynical and sceptical bastard. It ain't going to happen lads.

It's really only a Mata of time before Juan leaves given Mourinho's obvious preference for Oscar. Seeing as United is out of the title race, I don't see a difference between selling him to us now and in the summer, if they're willing to at all. I think the World Cup will be at he forefront for Mata and he and his agent will push for a move now rather than sitting on the bench for 6 more months to be sold in the summer.

I'm filing this one under 'never going to happen'.

Just like I did with those sily 'RVP to United' stories the other year.

How do Chelsea make it work with Willian Hazard and Oscar? Or Madrid last season with Ronaldo, Ozil and Di Maria with Benzema up top? Or this season with Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale and Isco? Or Bayern with Robben and Ribery? We're the only team who picks wingers for defensive qualities.
all these players you mentioned bar ronaldo put in a regular defensive shift. Have you not read how both robben and ribery upped their defensive contributions with Heycnkes? cmon mate

He'd link up well with Adnan and Kagawa you'd have to think and would be another top player that can carry the dross. A left back and Mata in Jan with a midfielder in the summer would see us title challengers again.

Mata is a quality player but I am not sure he'd solve our biggest problems, although having him to play from the right instead of Valencia would be good.
Mata isn't what we need in the slightest.

1545691_10201093675839258_1391747674_n.jpg

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but he has created more chance himself than 5 of our players put together.

I like the way Januzaj has been omitted from the chances created list.

Last edited:
I think that is far too much for Mata. 22-25m would seem appropriate given that he can't get into the Chelsea team and has played sparingly this year.

But is he not in the team because he had a fight with Maureen?

Status
Not open for further replies.