Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also something that gives me proper optimism for this is that 37m is a proper, realistic offer that I could see Chelsea accepting. They don't use him as anything more then a squad player, and as good as he is, 37m is loads of money, something they could use to help fund for a striker. It's not like in the summer when we were offering pathetically low amounts that everyone laughed away. If we do offer this I can see Chelsea seriously considering it.

How do Chelsea make it work with Willian Hazard and Oscar? Or Madrid last season with Ronaldo, Ozil and Di Maria with Benzema up top? Or this season with Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale and Isco? Or Bayern with Robben and Ribery? We're the only team who picks wingers for defensive qualities.
Ronaldo is pretty much the only one of those wingers who doesnt work hin bollocks off.

As I see it, if we press high enough and well enough we shouldnt need our wingers to drop back to beside our full backs every time we lose the ball.

How do Chelsea make it work with Willian Hazard and Oscar? Or Madrid last season with Ronaldo, Ozil and Di Maria with Benzema up top? Or this season with Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale and Isco? Or Bayern with Robben and Ribery? We're the only team who picks wingers for defensive qualities.

Yeah, what Mata contributes is being able to keep the football, which is much more important. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball. No point playing Young on the basis of supposedly defending well when he's giving the ball away everytime he gets it

I'm not sure how we'd be able to accommodate Rooney and Mata in the same side. That is unless Moyes tinkers with the formation. I'd rather we not spunk £37m on a number a 10. Ironically we've already wasted £27m on a player who's best position...is...a number 10 role.

Yeah we couldn't ever play him centrally as a No10 when everyone's fit. Agree with that.

Juan's obviously given up on trying to score against DDG. :D

Apart from England. :(

City seem to do ok, but their midfield actually has moving parts.

Well yeah. Forgot to mention City... Nasri, Silva and Navas or Aguero are hardly work horses defensively now are they :lol:
You always hear they won't help out, or playing Nani here is defensively suicide, but they're no worse then Valencia or Young defensively! The latter 2 are just thought to be better defensively because they don't do much on the other end of the pitch so they greatly exaggerate their defensive abilities.

Ronaldo is pretty much the only one of those wingers who doesnt work hin bollocks off.

As I see it, if we press high enough and well enough we shouldnt need our wingers to drop back to beside our full backs every time we lose the ball.

Well true, but it's not like Mata is lazier then any of those players? He works hard as well most of the time, and is a world class player who just doesn't suit Mourinho's style (or rather, he prefers Oscar there who is also a brilliant player).

This is almost proper muppetry again. BTW if anyone sees Jeston or Olly tell them to piss off. Their wonderful gifs are now nothing but bad omens for transfers.

Well yeah. Forgot to mention City... Nasri, Silva and Navas or Aguero are hardly work horses defensively now are they :lol:
You always hear they won't help out, or playing Nani here is defensively suicide, but they're no worse then Valencia or Young defensively! The latter 2 are just thought to be better defensively because they don't do much on the other end of the pitch so they greatly exaggerate their defensive abilities.

pretty much. Valencia has been pretty average defensively this season too.

This is almost proper muppetry again. BTW if anyone sees Jeston or Olly tell them to piss off. Their wonderful gifs are now nothing but bad omens for transfers.

:lol:

Just had a scene in my head where Jeston and Olly are approached and told to piss off randomly while they look on bemused.

Well true, but it's not like Mata is lazier then any of those players? He works hard as well most of the time, and is a world class player who just doesn't suit Mourinho's style (or rather, he prefers Oscar there who is also a brilliant player).
Yeah, I agree with your point, just a few bad examples. ;)

He'd be like Silva at City if we stuck him on the left, only he seems faster than Silva. I would absolutely love this to happen.

As much as I rate Shinji, I think the writing might already been on the wall for him here. If Dortmund come back with a half decent offer, I can see him leaving.

If Woody has any sense he'll dangle him like a Japanese carrot and enquire about young Ilkay... :drool:

Yes, an attacking midfielder! We can play him wide left. Solve some serious issues.

We could buy a proper midfielder. But heh...

Why do that, when we could just bring Scholes back again? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'd say that our wingers wouldn't look half as shit if we had a proper midfielder pinging balls out to them, exactly the way Scholsey did. Unfortunately, CM's of that quality are almost impossible to sign right now.

Yeah I saw that. Completely agree with Carragher there as well. Although on what Neville says, I don't think we'll continue to play a flat midfield formation and 2 strikers like we've done this season past the summer. Moyes has been moving Rooney deeper and deeper anyways, so a fluid trio of Rooney, Mata and Januzaj behind RVP is very possible and has huge potential.

Yeah I saw that. Completely agree with Carragher there as well. Although on what Neville says, I don't think we'll continue to play a flat midfield formation and 2 strikers like we've done this season past the summer. Moyes has been moving Rooney deeper and deeper anyways, so a fluid trio of Rooney, Mata and Januzaj behind RVP is very possible and has huge potential.

I don't know a single United fan that wants to see us continue to play a 442 at this time. No one. Of all signals that we intend to change styles and actually get a style this is the biggest possible one.

Agree with what Carragher said about playing Jones at CB and the fact that we probably won't actually need 7 or so players even though it looks that way now. Also, signing Mata would certainly raise the suspicion that Rooney is off, unless we're moving away from using out and out wingers.

Now Sam Wallace and Ian Herbert have done a joint story about the bid. Why can't just one of them write these fecking things?

Manchester United are expected to make a bid for the out-of-favour Chelsea playmaker Juan Mata in the next two days, with Jose Mourinho having the ultimate say over whether the Spain international leaves or not.
With a bid of more than £30m expected to be the very minimum for Mata, a non-playing substitute in the victory over United on Sunday, it will then be left to the Chelsea manager to decide whether he is prepared to go against everything he has said so far and sell.
Mourinho has repeatedly stirred the pot after United’s refusal to sell Wayne Rooney to Chelsea in the summer and it would require a thaw in relations between the clubs before the sale of 25-year-old Mata to Old Trafford. A loan move to Atletico Madrid is another possible escape route from west London for Mata.
Mourinho has made it clear that, since Mata’s demotion to a role as Oscar’s deputy for the No 10 role, he wants the player as part of his squad as they fight on three fronts in the new year. He would also require a replacement before the end of the month to maintain the balance of his squad.
There are few arguments in favour of letting Mata go, other than the fact that Chelsea have little room for manoeuvre when it comes to their Premier League squad. They have the maximum number of non-homegrown, over-21 players registered, 17, of which Mata is one.
Otherwise it would be a major call for Chelsea to allow Mata to leave, in spite of his marginalisation under Mourinho. He was player of the year at the club for the previous two seasons and has started 11 Premier League games this season, equal, for instance to the number of league games started by Fernando Torres and Cesar Azpilicueta.
The bid by United underline their increasing desperation to make a signing this window. The club had previously worked on the basis that targets like Atletico Madrid’s Koke and Arturo Vidal of Juventus would not come until the summer, provided they could be landed, and that this window may yet pass without a new addition. However, 14 points behind leaders Arsenal, and after a humbling 3-1 defeat at Stamford Bride, there appears to be a greater urgency.
United will not be panicked into buying their way out the trouble they are in, though the potential availability of the Seville left-back Alberto Moreno does create the opportunity for reinforcement Moyes has been looking for in that department.
Seville are a selling club who have a €30m (£24.7m) buyout clause for Moreno that would be negotiable, with any interest from Real Madrid thought not to create a major impediment to the Premier League champions, who are facing the prospect of Europa League football next season.
United have put on hold plans for a promotional tour of the United States as they wait to see what their uncertain future holds next season. A three-week tour of North America in mid-July had been planned to coincide with the launch of the club’s Chevrolet shirt sponsorship deal, which is worth £45m a year.

If United qualify for the Europa League as the winners of the Capital One Cup, they would have to play a third qualifying round tie on 31 July, which would cut short their pre-season tour.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...--but-decision-is-jose-mourinhos-9073307.html

So £37m is the figure that United's intermediaries have been told it will take to get Mata in January.

The journo just on Talksprt seemed to think that there would be a bid in the next few days if this is legit.

Agree with what Carragher said about playing Jones at CB and the fact that we probably won't actually need 7 or so players even though it looks that way now. Also, signing Mata would certainly raise the suspicion that Rooney is off, unless we're moving away from using out and out wingers.

Yeah he spoke a lot of sense in fairness.

I don't know a single United fan that wants to see us continue to play a 442 at this time. No one. Of all signals that we intend to change styles and actually get a style this is the biggest possible one.

That's my biggest hope, not that we are maybe just signing a great player. That this is the sort of player that might signal a change from our dinosaur formation and into a modern one. You cannot pin Mata down into a rigid position like we seem to do with all players, you have to let him be free and do his thing. 35 assists last season tells you what he brings to a side when allowed to be free. So unless we are going to let him play like he did last season then it's a pointless transfer. Mourinho wants his players regimented and machine like and that's not Mata's game.

The journos have heard something, there's too much smoke for them all to be reporting it. Usually you'll see a bullshit made up story in one of them that nobody bats an eyelid at, but this is now in all of them.

This seems pretty strange, 37 mln quid, Mata, so many sources reporting it, Neville and Carragher talking about him, Mourinho not playing him and his post-match comment, Woodward being 5 feet deep inside Roman's ass. I mean, it's all theorycrafting and a lot of coincidence going on, but damn, could it really be on?

Status
Not open for further replies.