Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving Carrick on his one is obviously done with tongue in cheek. Just shows how difficult is will be to fit all of our best players into a starting 11.

Is there a Mata goals/assists video from last season?

If not, I'll make one.

feck wingers.

-------------De Gea--------------
Rafael--Smalling-Jones-Coentrao
-------------Carrick--------------
-----Kagawa-------Fellaini-------
--------------Mata---------------
-------Rooney---Van Persie------

Oh right, well that's clearly a mental formation plucked straight out of FM.

Clearly. That's the point! I don't see how we'll fit everyone in their natural positions without doing something ridiculous.

If Rooney stays and RVP stays healthy it's not looking good for Kagawa.

feck wingers.

-------------De Gea--------------
Rafael--Smalling-Jones-Coentrao
-------------Carrick--------------
-----Kagawa-------Fellaini-------
--------------Mata---------------
-------Rooney---Van Persie------

No boy wonder? I like it though, I keep forgetting about Fellaini.

No boy wonder? I like it though, I keep forgetting about Fellaini.

In all honesty i think he needs a rest anyway. Besides, we'd never get away with that except for maybe Palace at home or something. I agree with the previous chap (name escapes me!) who said we're gonna need to do something a bit different.

Has United run an 'In the Tabloids' article on the official site, where they report on the reports but don't comment on or confirm them?

Because that's always a high point in any transfer saga.

Hopefully if we sign Mata it'll show up those saying our transfer budget was limited re: Fabregas. That was always just a mess. Money was there, we just wasted our time is all. A CM and a LB now and it'll be golden.

1. Offensive fullbacks.
2. Lots of off-the-ball movement, defensively and offensively.
3. Central midfielders who are very good at defending and keeping the ball under pressure.
4. The player behind the main striker is an offensive playmaker, rather than a deep striker. This is in order to keep speed, control and unpredictability in the attacking third, to better make use of the narrow formation and intense off-the-ball running.

If we change a formation like the one below, then I think we can pull off all the four points above. Evra might be a weak link, but he'll do for now. I still think he can attack fairly well.

-------------- DDG -----------
Rafael - Smalling - Evans - Evra
------- Carrick - Fletcher -----
-- Januzaj - Mata - Kagawa ---
---------- Rooney(?) ---------

Cool. Two questions.

1. Could Rooney not easily fit into where you have Januzaj? He complained about playing on the wing but this would be quite different, no?
2. If this is the style Moyes has always been planning to implement, why not sign Ozil when he was available? Is Mata more suited to our needs or does passing on Ozil indicate that this change isn't one Moyes was intending to make (and possibly still isn't).

Ozil has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) for disappearing in the big games. I assume that the psychological aspects play a part in Moyes's thinking just like they did in Fergie's.

Hopefully if we sign Mata it'll show up those saying our transfer budget was limited re: Fabregas. That was always just a mess. Money was there, we just wasted our time is all. A CM and a LB now and it'll be golden.
I don't see how you can make that link really. We don't know what went on behind the scenes obviously, but I don't think it's completely unreasonable to suggest that Moyes might have more money available to him now than he did in the summer because of the situation we're in. I think it's entirely plausible that Glazers underestimated just how good a job Fergie did with the squad and only began to realise that some serious investment is needed after the summer window closed.

I don't see how you can make that link really. We don't know what went on behind the scenes obviously, but I don't think it's completely unreasonable to suggest that Moyes might have more money available to him now than he did in the summer because of the situation we're in. I think it's entirely plausible that Glazers underestimated just how good a job Fergie did with the squad and only began to realise that some serious investment is needed after the summer window closed.
And the fabregas bids were testing the water.

I imagine we'll line up more often than not in the league with:

De Gea

Rafael (Someone) Vidic Evra

Carrick (Someone)

Januzaj Rooney Mata

van Persie

I don't think we'll radically change our so called style of play. Just look to Januzaj for the beating of a full back and look to Mata for the final ball.

Who knows, he just adds something completely different.

1. Could Rooney not easily fit into where you have Januzaj? He complained about playing on the wing but this would be quite different, no?
2. If this is the style Moyes has always been planning to implement, why not sign Ozil when he was available? Is Mata more suited to our needs or does passing on Ozil indicate that this change isn't one Moyes was intending to make (and possibly still isn't).

1. I've personally always preferred Rooney as a striker, but he's certainly versatile enough to play as an inside forward. But for the sake of balance, I'd rather have Januzaj there and Rooney up front. But then again, I'm probably the minority when it comes to that decision. I've never been afraid of the idea to bench star players if it leads to better balance and overall play. Even if that potentially means benching RVP or Rooney.

Also, I don't think Moyes has the balls to play Rooney as a wide forward. Both he and the club seems to have put a considerable amount of effort into making Rooney happy. If Moyes starts to play Rooney out of position now, then he's surely gonna leave this summer.

2. No, I don't think Moyes ever intended for us to use that style. But I guess he sees that he might not have much of a choice now. Mata will not thrive in the current style, unless he takes Rooney's position. Therefore, if we place him on the wing, then it surely means that we're going for a more narrow formation. I don't think Moyes will bench both Januzaj and Kagawa either. Especially not the former.

If we're going to resort to a more narrow formation, then we might as well play an actual AM in the AM position. All things considered, I think this might be end of Rooney. According to Andy Mitten, Rooney didn't like it when we signed Kagawa. He's gonna like it a lot less when we sign Mata, who's a fairly similar player, albeit more direct.

That's quite possible but I refuse to believe Woodward and Moyes would think what we offered would be all that's needed for Cesc. Must have been tester bids. Only logical explanation along with us being swindled.

Juan-Mata-3.jpg

So Mata. Such beard. Very glorious. :drool:

1. I've personally always preferred Rooney as a striker, but he's certainly versatile enough to play as an inside forward. But for the sake of balance, I'd rather have Januzaj there and Rooney up front. But then again, I'm probably the minority when it comes to that decision. I've never been afraid of the idea to bench star players if it leads to better balance and overall play. Even if that potentially means benching RVP or Rooney.

Also, I don't think Moyes has the balls to play Rooney as a wide forward. Both he and the club seems to have put a considerable amount of effort into making Rooney happy. If Moyes starts to play Rooney out of position now, then he's surely gonna leave this summer.

2. No, I don't think Moyes ever intended for us to use that style. But I guess he sees that he might not have much of a choice now. Mata will not thrive in the current style, unless he takes Rooney's position. Therefore, if we place him on the wing, then it surely means that we're going for a more narrow formation. I don't think Moyes will bench both Januzaj and Kagawa either. Especially not the former.

If we're going to resort to a more narrow formation, then we might as well play an actual AM in the AM position. All things considered, I think this might be end of Rooney. According to Andy Mitten, Rooney didn't like it when we signed Kagawa. He's gonna like it a lot less when we sign Mata, who's a fairly similar player, albeit more direct.

1) Rooney has been played out of position this season already, Stoke second half, Tottenham at home and Aston Villa away off the top of my head. Also maybe the club actually want to play him in his position because he has been our best player by a country mile this season with 11 goals and 19(?) assists?

2) Why would he dislike the signings of Kagawa/Mata when he wanted us to sign Ozil?

1) Rooney has been played out of position this season already, Stoke second half, Tottenham at home and Aston Villa away off the top of my head. Also maybe the club actually want to play him in his position because he has been our best player by a country mile this season with 11 goals and 19(?) assists

2 and a half games isn't a lot though. Try playing him on the wing on a consistent basis, and he'll leave us immediately.

Under Fergie we played with Rooney as a second striker in order to accommodate him and RVP. The initial plan was to play Kagawa there, until RVP suddenly became available. Still, Kagawa showed a lot of promise on the left under Fergie, so there was no reason to make a change. We walked the leauge and did well in Europe. Also, Kagawa was cheap, so playing him out of position wouldn't be considered a waste financially speaking.

Rooney isn't scoring so much because he's in his right element. He's scoring because he's a striker, and when we play with him behind the main man, we're essentially play 4-4-2, not 4-2-3-1. Had Kagawa played behind Rooney, then I'm sure his goal/assist would have been equally impressive.

The reason we've kept playing Rooney as a second striker even when RVP is out, is because Moyes is a moron. Under Fergie, Kagawa would have been the first name on the sheet for the AM position the moment RVP or Rooney was out.

2) Why would he dislike the signings of Kagawa/Mata when he wanted us to sign Ozil?

He disliked Kagawa because Fergie signed him with the intention of altering our style to better fit the modern game and Europe. Rooney wanted us to stick to the same 4-4-2. That's why he was opposed to signing Kagawa. Not because of the player, but because of what the player represents.

2 and a half games isn't a lot though. Try playing him on the wing on a consistent basis, and he'll leave us immediately.

Under Fergie we played with Rooney as a second striker in order to accommodate him and RVP. The initial plan was to play Kagawa there, until RVP suddenly became available. Still, Kagawa showed a lot of promise on the left under Fergie, so there was no reason to make a change. We walked the leauge and did well in Europe. Also, Kagawa was cheap, so playing him out of position wouldn't be considered a waste financially speaking.

Rooney isn't scoring so much because he's in his right element. He's scoring because he's a striker, and when we play with him behind the main man, we're essentially play 4-4-2, not 4-2-3-1. Had Kagawa played behind Rooney, then I'm sure his goal/assist would have been equally impressive.

The reason we've kept playing Rooney as a second striker even when RVP is out, is because Moyes is a moron. Under Fergie, Kagawa would have been the first name on the sheet for the AM position the moment RVP or Rooney was out.

He disliked Kagawa because Fergie signed him with the intention of altering our style to better fit the modern game and Europe. Rooney wanted us to stick to the same 4-4-2. That's why he was opposed to signing Kagawa. Not because of the player, but because of what the player represents.

So now you are SAF and Rooney, you just know everything dont you.

Ever thought that signing Mata might be the end of your idol and not Rooney? Kagawa got hardly any playing time even with Rooney and RVP injured, soon they are both going to be back and we will also have Mata.

1) Or maybe Moyes is continuing to play Rooney in the number 10 role because he has the most assists out of everyone in the premier league and also the most assists out of everyone in the champions league? Do you not think that Rooney has been our best player this season? Rooney behind Welbeck was worth persisting with considering Welbeck's goal scoring form recently and Rooney being our most creative player by a mile this season. Moyes did actually give Kagawa a go behind Rooney but he couldn't replicate his CL form over to the premier league and therefore he lost his place with Welbeck coming in.

2) Why are you making this assumption that Rooney wants us to stick with 442? He played as the main striker in the 09/10 season and asked Sir Alex to buy Ozil, yet Fergie said he preferred the idea of Chicharito playing ahead of Rooney. That sounds quite the opposite to me. In all his interviews he has said he prefers EITHER number 9 or 10 roles, why are you making this assumption that he wants us to play 442?

Status
Not open for further replies.