Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they can be that daft. I imagine it is more a case of we offering enough money to them, player desperate to play regularly ahead of world cup and Chelsea not exactly being so fussy about not selling to other teams in league.

I don't think they would sell Mata to Man City or Arsenal this season. But in general, yes, you're right.

I don't think they can be that daft. I imagine it is more a case of we offering enough money to them, player desperate to play regularly ahead of world cup and Chelsea not exactly being so fussy about not selling to other teams in league.

Possibly Rooney going in the opposite direction don't forget.

Dont you honestly think if Rooney was going to go in the other direction, even if it is in the summer, that some news would have leaked out by now?

I'm sure they're aware we'll be a threat again within a few seasons. It's more that they know for sure that Mata wasn't going to be there long, 1. they know for sure they won't get a better offer than the one we've just made, they know for sure we'd be back challenging them soon anyway and they're very confident they'll be able to use that money to strengthen themselves. 2. Strengthening your rivals doesn't matter if you strengthen yourselves even more.

1. I think they could get better offer easily. But strongly suspected that Mata only wants to play for United.
2. It's true in general, but they could hardly buy better player than Mata's class with that money, even in different position.

Its not a case of Chelsea not seeing us as rivals, its a case of us making a offer simply too good to refuse.

Close to 40 million for someone who isn't first choice and wants to leave is an amazing price. It'd be like Chelsea offering us 25 million for Kagawa.

Last edited:
That fee should be tied up with United success this season.

Will he on that 30% wages cut if United don't make top 4 also?

Possibly Rooney going in the opposite direction don't forget.

I don't see that as likely. I mean, Chelsea will at max offer 20-25 for him given it will be his last year of contract. PSG-Real would love to get a guy who can bring great revenue commercially, costs 25m only and is still a v.v. good player.
From Chelsea's point of view, maybe they didn't see anyone giving them this much money for Mata? Otherwise I am sure they would have preferred to offload him to say, Atletico instead of us.

Apparently he was only on around 70k per week so it's not a big deal. Considering Young is apparently on 120k a week, I'm perfectly okay with Mata earning a bit more.

Young isn't really on 120k a week is he? How the hell did that happen? The likes of Vidal are on around 70k ffs.

I find it hard to believe but it is quite possible. Chelsea don't pay wages on the same level of City.

Young isn't really on 120k a week is he? How the hell did that happen? The likes of Vidal are on around 70k ffs.

That's why they are interested to come I guess even with no guarantee of CL! ;)
We can offer Mata-Vidal etc top salary and try to balance out at least some part of it by offloading Young-Valencia-Anderson-Buttner. Rio will also be off wages list next summer.

I think everything about this deal screams good business Chelsea.

Jose knows he is a fantastic player, but just doesn't fit his own style for what he wants Chelsea to play. He is a great manager and has identified this and I think he sees this season as a big chance for Chelsea to sneak in and win the league when everyone is talking about City and Arsenal. The main points in my opinion are:

• We don't play Chelsea again this season (and if we meet in the Champions League, Mata can't play for us anyway).
  • Chelsea need to balance their books if FFP is anything to be taken seriously, due to the current circumstances, they can make a significant profit on a player who is rarely going to feature. Circumstances are that United need to push for the top four and will pay over the odds, and Mata wants out to play top level football on a regular basis.
  • Jose probably believes Mata will improve our squad enough to take points off City and Arsenal when we play them in the League - two draws is very realistic and could be the difference between Chelsea winning the league or not.
Next season will take care of itself, if we're a big rival and finish above Chelsea, it could be described as a mistake. But it could still be a stroke of genius on their part. I don't mind us paying over odds for Mata, but it's to be seen how much our side will improve with a singing like him. Hopefully it has the effect Ozil did on Arsenal, even if he doesn't play exceptionally well. I think he's the kind of signing that will make even players like Rooney and van Persie step up their game and think "yeah, this club is still serious about challenging for everything".

Reactions: brewlio
I'd be shocked if Mata was on such 'low' wages. He's one of the best in the league and Chelsea are cashed up like an ATM.
I'd be quite happy to double his wages, it's actually a bit of a bargain for United in the current climate. Silva who's very similar is probably on closer to 200k a week.

It often happens that a player gets a big payday when they move to a new club when they have just a year on their current deal, reducing the asking price of the club they signed from. 120k or not, I'm sure he's on a high wage that in no way reflects his poor performance. Unfortunately this particular deal seems to have been a triple whammy of big fee, big wages and not working out/another player we could have had instead being the clearly superior signing.

I'd be shocked if Mata was on such 'low' wages. He's one of the best in the league and Chelsea are cashed up like an ATM.
I'd be quite happy to double his wages, it's actually a bit of a bargain for United in the current climate. Silva who's very similar is probably on closer to 200k a week.

Well, remember that he signed from Valencia who had no money. I'm sure his wages were very modest, especially as he was promised a new deal at the club and then it was put off for at least a season. If I recall he finally got a new deal with them, but with them being broke he certainly wouldn't have been on the wages he deserved.

So then he signs for Chelsea, they will have bumped him up nicely on what he had before. But he's still on his original contract from when they signed him right? So he wont be on "our best player for 2 seasons" wages, he'll be on that starting Chelsea wage that looked great compared to his Valencia contract

I think everything about this deal screams good business Chelsea.

Jose knows he is a fantastic player, but just doesn't fit his own style for what he wants Chelsea to play. He is a great manager and has identified this and I think he sees this season as a big chance for Chelsea to sneak in and win the league when everyone is talking about City and Arsenal. The main points in my opinion are:

• We don't play Chelsea again this season (and if we meet in the Champions League, Mata can't play for us anyway).
  • Chelsea need to balance their books if FFP is anything to be taken seriously, due to the current circumstances, they can make a significant profit on a player who is rarely going to feature. Circumstances are that United need to push for the top four and will pay over the odds, and Mata wants out to play top level football on a regular basis.
  • Jose probably believes Mata will improve our squad enough to take points off City and Arsenal when we play them in the League - two draws is very realistic and could be the difference between Chelsea winning the league or not.
Next season will take care of itself, if we're a big rival and finish above Chelsea, it could be described as a mistake. But it could still be a stroke of genius on their part. I don't mind us paying over odds for Mata, but it's to be seen how much our side will improve with a singing like him. Hopefully it has the effect Ozil did on Arsenal, even if he doesn't play exceptionally well. I think he's the kind of signing that will make even players like Rooney and van Persie step up their game and think "yeah, this club is still serious about challenging for everything".

Good post and a rather accurate description of the situation.

That's what most of the media has reported. He is anywhere between 100-120k depending on who you want to believe.

If we can offload Young, and get Mata for 140k, that would be a very good deal wrt wages as well.

Mata was on 10-15k pw at Valencia. When Chelsea got him, they offered him 60-70k.

During the same time, we bought Young at 100k, and Liverpool bought Downing for 70k pw.

I remember that was being reported at the time. Just searching it on google says his salary is 6.24 million GBP per year, which comes out to 120k a week. For Ashley Young. Mata is at 3 million per year. Then again, that same search says Rooney is on 300k a week so who knows how accurate it is. Football Manager does say Young is on 120k though, so I think that one is accurate.

Mata was on 10-15k pw at Valencia. When Chelsea got him, they offered him 60-70k.

During the same time, we bought Young at 100k, and Liverpool bought Downing for 70k pw.
Putting it like that makes it sound so depressing, anyone with half a brain can point out which team was getting the best player, even then when Mata was unproven in England :lol: What were we thinking.

Really over the moon with this.

A signing in the right direction.

A statement to players inane out of the club that we are serious about rebuilding this team.

If we can get rid of anything up to 10 deadwood players and replace them with a handful of top quality recruits we will be well on our way.

Won't be cheap but I think with the likes of Rio, Evra, Giggs, Young, Valencia and possibly Vidic - all high earners - hopefully moving on we should be able to greatly off-set wage bill increases.

In terms of recouping transfer fee money, Hernandez and Kagawa might bring reasonable fees if sold.

Really over the moon with this.

A signing in the right direction.

A statement to players inane out of the club that we are serious about rebuilding this team.

If we can get rid of anything up to 10 deadwood players and replace them with a handful of top quality recruits we will be well on our way.

Won't be cheap but I think with the likes of Rio, Evra, Giggs, Young, Valencia and possibly Vidic - all high earners - hopefully moving on we should be able to greatly off-set wage bill increases.

In terms of recouping transfer fee money, Hernandez and Kagawa might bring reasonable fees if sold.
umm we haven't signed him?

Well, remember that he signed from Valencia who had no money. I'm sure his wages were very modest, especially as he was promised a new deal at the club and then it was put off for at least a season. If I recall he finally got a new deal with them, but with them being broke he certainly wouldn't have been on the wages he deserved.

So then he signs for Chelsea, they will have bumped him up nicely on what he had before. But he's still on his original contract from when they signed him right? So he wont be on "our best player for 2 seasons" wages, he'll be on that starting Chelsea wage that looked great compared to his Valencia contract

Of course but I just assumed after his first season, which was brilliant, he (or his agent) would be demanding a bumper contract, pay rise that would put him in line with his performances. It's his third season at Chelsea right? I always thought he would have been given a new deal at some point.

Of course but I just assumed after his first season, which was brilliant, he (or his agent) would be demanding a bumper contract, pay rise that would put him in line with his performances. It's his third season at Chelsea right? I always thought he would have been given a new deal at some point.
Mata is a nice fella. :)

He has easily been my favourite player in the league ever since he joined Chelsea. What a joy to watch.

Also, his dead ball skills are brilliant and I'd say he should take over the free kick and corner duties from Rooney.

Impossible not to get excited watching that video. He's just fantastic.

Also puts to bed any concern he may not be as effective playing from wide.

:lol: I hope he lives up to the expectation.

Yeah man, really hope so. I'm really excited to watch him and Adnan together in particular, both work on similar philosophies and are incredibly gifted technically.

I don't think I have ever been this excited about a transfer. Veron and Berba come close.

Yeah man, really hope so. I'm really excited to watch him and Adnan together in particular, both work on similar philosophies and are incredibly gifted technically.

I don't think I have ever been this excited about a transfer. Veron and Berba come close.

RvP?

Anyway, yeah I am also looking forward to seeing Mata-Rooney-Januzaj behind the striker. If we can somehow secure Vidal or Gundogan we will be good to challenge on all fronts next season.

Probably our most universally welcomed signing in years? Haven't seen anyone suggest it's a bad idea or that we're overrating Mata.

Had a look on some of our rivals' fan sites, even there it's universally accepted that this is a great signing for us (and a bad move by Chelsea).

Status
Not open for further replies.