Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given his stop-start season at Chelsea so far, and our own current predicament, how long do we expect it to take for him to find his form?

In an ideal world he'll make an instant impact but with my cautious hat on it might take weeks/months before we see him play at the kind of level he displayed in previous seasons.
Doesn't need to find his form to improve us. So I think he will look good from the start.

I hope he likes crossing.

Exactly, and this is why I'm indifferent to this transfer. So long as Rooney remains pampered to, Mata's just going to end up "on the wing". Sadly, Rooney's idea of playing as a number 10 involves spraying the ball wide and then bombing into the box for the cross.

I always like it when left footers can cut in aka Robben and Di Maria and Mata has a wicked left foot too. The curl he puts on his shots is just pure sex. I do understand that Mata is not a classic winger but I think our wide wingers arent exactly lighting up the world.

RVP

Kagawa-----Rooney-----Mata​

No pace and no player who can beat a man in that front 4. I'd prefer Januzaj to start in one of the wider positions.

Mourinho said after Sunday's victory over Manchester United, his is a team "that runs a lot". "We press very high on the pitch. My attacking players have big distances to run between the initial pressure and the way they compact with the defensive players."
So that's not Mata's natural game.

So will he be a Berba; slow plodding?

No pace and no player who can beat a man in that front 4. I'd prefer Januzaj to start in one of the wider positions.
Yes because Januzaj is as fast as Ronaldo and can light up pace wise? He was also a technically sound like the other three I mentioned above. Not everything is about pace in football. If you have the talent to pick apart a team, then I would have take a slow technical sound front 4 like the one I mentioned rather than the one we fecking have now. What are Valencia and Young and Nani doing with pace?

Mourinho said after Sunday's victory over Manchester United, his is a team "that runs a lot". "We press very high on the pitch. My attacking players have big distances to run between the initial pressure and the way they compact with the defensive players."
So that's not Mata's natural game.

So will he be a Berba; slow plodding?
Mourinho's explanation does make sense given he has a definite style of successful football, but you'd think Mata would be a good enough player to overcome this limitation.

Mourinho has always preferred pace and power in attack though.

...Chin up pal, we can't win every year.

That's true. It's also true that we've never finished outside the top 3 since the inception of the Premier League, and last time we finished outside the top 4 was 23 years ago. We've been in the Champions League every year I can recall since what, 1993? So, yeah, while John's post was a little over the top, I've learned to excuse some of the more negative comments from cafe member these days considering that what the club is going through isn't simply a case of "not winning it every year," but, something significantly worse.

In the big scheme of things we don't really have much to moan about then do we, when you put it like that.

Sorta like the Shankly saying 'if you can't support us when we draw or lose don't support us when we win'. Utd have given us decades of success, maybe we should be a little more paitent as the club goes through its biggest transition in 25 years.

It's about time we starting throwing our weight around in the transfer market. We've been been complacent for long enough and this is the end result.

Mata's genuine world class and he will make a difference. If we're smart enough to rebuild our team around players like him instead of forcing him to adjust to an ineffective system, we will become a feared side again. Can't wait until it's signed and sealed and we can look forward to better days. He can hopefully give us the lift that we desperately need.

Bringing in Mata will add a much needed new dimension to our attacking phase of play. I hope to good baby Jesus that it spells the end of Valencia or Young blindly starting every week. Neville's full of shite when he says we have to play with traditional wingers, it's a dying tactic at the highest level. Our front four will probably be the strongest in the league, if Moyes can't deliver top four with it then the mind boggles.

Mata Rooney Januzaj
van Persie​

Valencia Kagawa Nani
Welbeck​

We also have Young, Hernández , Zaha and Lingard in reserve. I mean, feck me Moyes is a poor manager if we don't get top four with them all fit and playing.

Yes because Januzaj is as fast as Ronaldo and can light up pace wise? He was also a technically sound like the other three I mentioned above. Not everything is about pace in football. If you have the talent to pick apart a team, then I would have take a slow technical sound front 4 like the one I mentioned rather than the one we fecking have now. What are Valencia and Young and Nani doing with pace?

None of those 3 players would be anywhere near my preferred starting front 4. Januzaj is obviousy not as quick as Ronaldo but he has enough pace that the other front 4 of Van Persie, Mata and Kagawa/Rooney do not have which means United can vary the pace of their attacks and counter-attacks.

I wonder if we'll ever get to see Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, Januzaj, and Mata all on the pitch at the same time.

I wonder if we'll ever get to see Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, Januzaj, and Mata all on the pitch at the same time.

Rooney can play CM. And I suspect if we need to push for a game, we would move him there.

Bringing in Mata will add a much needed new dimension to our attacking phase of play. I hope to good baby Jesus that it spells the end of Valencia or Young blindly starting every week. Neville's full of shite when he says we have to play with traditional wingers, it's a dying tactic at the highest level. Our front four will probably be the strongest in the league, if Moyes can't deliver top four with it then the mind boggles.

Mata Rooney Januzaj
van Persie​

Valencia Kagawa Nani
Welbeck​

We also have Young, Hernández , Zaha and Lingard in reserve. I mean, feck me Moyes is a poor manager if we don't get top four with them all fit and playing.

There's an incredible amount of talent in this squad, as your little forward lines above emphasise. Sadly, some would have you believe that we are riddled with retards, and that half of the squad needs shipping out. Mata, Rooney, Van Persie and Januzaj. Yes, that can be our front four. Let that sink in guys. Moyes is sitting on a goldmine of talent.

For me it signals the start of some major changes to this team.

I don't see all four of Kagawa Young Nani and Valencia keeping their place at this club come this summer. Mata comes in as one of their replacements and Januzaj has set himself above all four in the last 6 months.

I think we will go for someone who fits the more 'traditional' winger mould come the summer...possibly someone in the Di Maria mould if not Di Maria himself.

I imagine Moyes is a man of numbers. His senior four attacking midfielders have embarrassing collective numbers.

abGgjRWair.jpg

In my opinion, we may need another CM signing. Unless Kagawa can find his form.

Last edited:
Push Valencia and Young out wider, like off the screen, and you're all set.
You could also just put in Zaha and Lingard for them. The things Fergie would do with all these wingers at the club... Who needs center midfield.

Mata United :drool:

Who would have thought this would be about to happen at the end of last season

I still can't quite believe this is happening. After so many false dawns I'm still expecting this to go tits up, somehow.

I mean, it's Juan Mata ffs! He's an amazing player, highly technical, creative, Spanish, and plays for one of our rivals. How the feck have we managed to pull this off?

A really positive signing. We finally have that 'magic' no. 10 in the team. Someone who will be the envy of other teams in the world. The most exciting part is, he's so consistent in performance, which make him even better signing than Ozil.

A really positive signing. We finally have that 'magic' no. 10 in the team. Someone who will be the envy of other teams in the world. The most exciting part is, he's so consistent in performance, which make him even better signing than Ozil.
Hasn't signed, hasn't played.
Can turn out to be, and if he carries over the form he had in Chelsea then he most certainly will.
(I know, nitpicking)

Honestly, if this transfer were to go south, can you imagine the backlash and the sense of downbeat? Especially after being knocked out of the league cup

Hasn't signed, hasn't played.
Can turn out to be, and if he carries over the form he had in Chelsea then he most certainly will.
(I know, nitpicking)

Ozil with Arsenal isn't as good as Ozil's Madrid, either. But you're right, though. He hasn't played yet, and could turn out to be another deuce.

But then, it's Mata :drool:

Mata United :drool:

Who would have thought this would be about to happen at the end of last season
Just look at all the comments at the start of this thread, nobody thought there was any chance of this happening. I still have a doubt but that's only because of United's history with transfers! I can't wait until he puts pen to paper and we can all finally relax about this, it would give everyone a huge lift.

Just imagine if Fabregas was coming last summer. We could have 3 future Spain NT in the team. Although 2 isn't THAT bad.

Just look at all the comments at the start of this thread, nobody thought there was any chance of this happening. I still have a doubt but that's only because of United's history with transfers! I can't wait until he puts pen to paper and we can all finally relax about this, it would give everyone a huge lift.
I'm still not convinced 100%. I keep checking the offical site even though I know nothing will be updated at this time.

The comments at start of the thread were from summer when obviously the chances were very less. For full-muppet mode, read from around page 70 onwards :drool:

Honestly, if this transfer were to go south, can you imagine the backlash and the sense of downbeat? Especially after being knocked out of the league cup
Don't wanna tempt fate but I think with the Ronaldinho saga almost 10 years ago a similar thing happened. Fee agreed, possibly even personal terms agreed just had medical to go, but Barca gazumped us.

I see Mata outlasting Moyes here. Imagine we'll have him in his prime?

Yes definitely (answer for your 2nd sentence). Outlasting Moyes, well depends how much success we get under him. Let's not go there at the moment.

Do Chelsea really not see us as a threat anymore? But we did sell Veron in the past, when Chelsea was on the way up as well.

Do Chelsea really not see us as a threat anymore? But we did sell Veron in the past, when Chelsea was on the way up as well.

I don't think they can be that daft. I imagine it is more a case of we offering enough money to them, player desperate to play regularly ahead of world cup and Chelsea not exactly being so fussy about not selling to other teams in league.

I'm sure they're aware we'll be a threat again within a few seasons. It's more that they know for sure that Mata wasn't going to be there long, they know for sure they won't get a better offer than the one we've just made, they know for sure we'd be back challenging them soon anyway and they're very confident they'll be able to use that money to strengthen themselves. Strengthening your rivals doesn't matter if you strengthen yourselves even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.