Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

I mean signing a player because the manager wants him is a very strong reason
Lots of managers walk out the door if they don’t get their star man
It's not a strong reason when that manager is known to be dodgy in the market.

He's an average, basic player lads.

At no point has any United fan looked at Chelsea and coveted Mount. We all laughed at them when they tried to rate him or defend him, he's very average, has zero standout ability, he's not fast, he's not skillful, he's not creative, he's not clinical, he's just 6/10 on everything.

I'm inclined to agree, but I also retain some faith that ETH sees something we don't and sees that Mount has potential to develop as an 8, which is a new position for him.

Weirdly the only stand out attributes I think Mount has are pressing from the front, movement in the final third and being quite good in front of goal. All attributes which he will barely utilise playing as an 8.

Personally I think the decision will backfire on ETH. I wouldn't be surprised if towards the end of the season Mount as an 8 has been abandoned and he's playing as a false 9 instead...which means we'd need to sign two more actual CMs...

He would look the part in City's system. There is no fluidity or cohesion in the way we play.
Like feck he would. Did you not read the Guardiola interview? He wants and loves players who want the ball all the time. Mount is very happy to hide most of the games in pockets. He had like 26 touches when played as a fecking central midfielder.

Do you remember Haalands first 2 PL games?
Yes, do you remember some of the stuff posted after the community shield?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/nordic-goal-yeti-haaland-at-city.470426/post-29197381

Again though, Haaland was not my point. He's just an example of easy it is for people to throw out how a player is overrated or won't work at a team, now we don't care that they were wrong. There's little downside to it.
You do get to see those people pop up in the performance threads as soon as a player doesn't have a brilliant game though, because who doesn't love being correct about a player they called crap?

Why did we buy him? There was a reason he didn’t play his last season at Chelsea, he’s fe+king hopeless, non existent, I preferred seeing McTom at least he put himself about.
I was pondering this earlier. He's obviously a different type of player to McTominay but is he actually better? If McTominay put up the passing stats Mount has in the last 2 games he'd be getting absolutely slaughtered on here. He's averaged 19 passes a game in the last 2 matches. Thats not good enough by a long stretch.

So… If you get Amrabat, which I think would be an excellent fit, is Mount an indication that ETH sees Bruno moving on? That seems strange. I don’t watch you guys all the time, but he seems like a primary creator for you.

My United fanatic friend says Bruno can play out on the right, and Mount and him can kind f switch spots back and forth. That seemed like a horrible idea. Mount at RW was one of our worst experiments.

Does ETH plan to start him on the right and have him tuck in to form part of a midfield square? It is the new fad and I saw it mentioned yesterday.

That could work: Bruno and Mount up high, Amrabat and Casemiro low, BUT you don’t really have the type of FB that makes that work.

Im curious to see what happens.

Whereas City have a squad of 22, apparently we only have a squad of 11?

As long as the thread title is not former Chelsea Player of the season x2 :o all is good.

Leaving aside the usual arguments of 'was he worth it' etc. and assuming we ditch the system we're playing, how do we actually fit him in the team if Bruno remains more of a 10? Something like this is the only thing i can think of:

Casemiro McTominay
Bruno
Mount Hojlund Rashford

One of them is going to have to be shifted to the right and, considering the way Antony and Sancho have played so far in their careers, it's a spot that's up for grabs.

Unless this system suddenly clicks into place the Bruno/Mount issue could get very problematic.

Today is the first time I’ve posted 3 times on the CAF as I’m mostly a consumer here. The manager of this club should be able to get all the players he requires to build a team irrespective of outgoings. We shouldn’t be held at ransom by Maguire etc.., this club has been reduced to a second tier club due to the ownership situation and this isn’t the managers fault. ETH probably needs Mount plus another 2 and would have wanted all of them before the season only to be told that we have sell before we buy.
It’s also funny that the same people blaming ETH for bringing in Dutch players are those valuing our deadwood at exorbitant rates. I hope we put them in a boot sale and listen to offers of up to 35m for the whole lot.there should be an acceptance that we made a loss on all of them. That loss is a failure to win or play at standards required of players at Manchester United and shouldn’t be measured in monetary terms. Therefore it shouldn’t be about turning a profit or all this accounting rubbish that easily spouted on here- because we’re Manchester United not any other team. Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern do it so we should also br able to do it. The likes of Maguire, Martial, VDB have failed here, they should find themselves teams to play for or get game time in our reserves. The only exception are the academy players so McT and Henderson can warm the bench.

Such a fecking weird signing :lol:

It was so blatantly obvious as well.

I remember being shouted down with ‘I think ETH knows a bit more about football than you’ etc - yeah, no shit, that’s why it’s so fecking odd!

How can a bunch of no marks (talking about myself here) on an Internet forum blatantly see certain things that skilled, knowledgeable coaches seemingly cannot..?

Football’s a weird game.

I’m happy with a manager signing players, the final say should always be with the manager

Final say is one thing.

You state Moyes got one player - wasn't Fellaini one too many? What other top club sanctions that?

Now we seem to be going for players ETH knows, or someone familiar and overpriced like Mount. You don't want us to have a better system in place where we might uncover some gems once in a while instead of paying over the odds all the time? Seriously, how often have we uncovered gems in the transfer market in the last decade? And have a system in place where a Van Gaal possession-type manager might not be lumbered with Fellaini, and Mourinho not with Van Gaal-type players, and then Ole, and then ETH . . . all different managers trying to get square pegs into round holes, while the quality of football never seems to change.

I mean signing a player because the manager wants him is a very strong reason
Lots of managers walk out the door if they don’t get their star man
They really don't.

Even Pep and Klopp, who have a lot more credit in the bank, don't get indulged on signings nearly as much as United managers.

I remember being shouted down with ‘I think ETH knows a bit more about football than you’ etc - yeah, no shit, that’s why it’s so fecking odd!

How can a bunch of no marks (talking about myself here) on an Internet forum blatantly see certain things that skilled, knowledgeable coaches seemingly cannot..?

Football’s a weird game.
Because as any Ajax fan will tell you, Ten Hag is shocking in the transfer market. All the good signings made there under his tenure were made by Overmars.

Because as any Ajax fan will tell you, Ten Hag is shocking in the transfer market. All the good signings made there under his tenure were made by Overmars.
As you would expect. At most clubs, the manager isn't in charge of transfers.

I honestly don't think this signing happens if it weren't for the fact mount had a good spell in Holland when eth was ajax

Football’s a weird game.

Strangely, this is the reason why deep inside I'm still kind of open minded about seeing where this experiment is headed. Like you said it was such an obviously pointless signing to us randoms on the internet, I can't accept that professionals who are getting paid to coach cannot see this. There has to be something we're missing.

Like feck he would. Did you not read the Guardiola interview? He wants and loves players who want the ball all the time. Mount is very happy to hide most of the games in pockets. He had like 26 touches when played as a fecking central midfielder.
:lol: that's unacceptable.

Amongst our starting XI, Mount has the lowest number of touches (57). Even lower than Onana (91), Garnacho and Rashford (72) :lol:

I also think Onana has been more threatening if I'm being honest. In comparison, the ex-Chelsea midfielder Kovacic has registered 181 touches this season.
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/touches

Edit: Eriksen - his 2nd half replacement, has had more successful tackles than Mount (2) and only 6 fewer passes.
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_tackle

I'm in the minority who actually felt that Eriksen still has a big contribution this season, and that he'd end up being the better starter vs Mount because of the control and stability he brings to our midfield - which sadly means we still haven't upgraded on the position.

Of course, I guess we need to trust the process and new system - which strangely enough determines that the better player is the one who makes fewer passes, touches, tackles etc. At least for now.

Last edited:
There are plenty of signs to see team mates not yet take him one of their own. He seems isolated ignored despite he tried to pick passes whenever he has the ball. Probably he should demand the ball vocally more.

Ten hag should have demanded players to use him more for ball retention and rotation.If you have to stretch defence intrinsic passing between players must.

That isn't what Mount was like at Chelsea, though. His average passes per game were around 45 to 50 in the Premier League. It did drop last season, but that is because they didn't have the ball anywhere near as much.

I would say this is definitely more of a team issue that him trying to hide from possession.

That isn't what Mount was like at Chelsea, though. His average passes per game were around 45 to 50 in the Premier League. It did drop last season, but that is because they didn't have the ball anywhere near as much.

I would say this is definitely more of a team issue that him trying to hide from possession.
This criticism of Mount has always been there. Even Chelsea fans agree he goes missing in games. The same happens when he plays for England as well.

Former chelsea fan here

He is good at pressing but honestly a jack of all trades, master of none.

He is good at certain attributes like finishing, passing etc but not fast, physical or consistent enough.

I knew he would be a flop for Man united because he is not a number 8, Tuchel tried that once and it flopped massively. He doesnt have the awareness of a CM. Also, another negative is nobody knows his best position, hes not a CF, he can play LW yes but isn't your typical winger. He is a good CAM but with Bruno at Man united he isn't going to play there.

He also tries hard for the team but when the going gets tough or hes not in form then its very hard for him to get it going again.

60M for Mason mount and the wages you have spent on him is good for us as we have just brought lavia for the same money on far less wages.

Yes we wanted to keep him for the fanbase/team but I was actually happy to get rid especially the price we you gave us.

May be ETHs downfall, but only time will tell all I can say is he is bang average so goodluck and his goals and assists for past 3 seasons reflect that.

You aren't wrong. MM has offered nothing and Casemiro has looked shit but I personally think it's down to team selection and also due to lacking a good defensive midfielder to play alongside Casemiro. In an ideal world we shouldn't need two CDMs but because our attack has no fluidity so we have to be more Conservative.

It's dawned on me that ETH is shoehorning MM and Bruno together. He obviously doesn't want to bench either of them. Putting MM (who I rate highly as a footballer) alongside Casemiro in a deeper role is puzzling to put it politely.

ETH will struggle to drop his £80m winger to accommodate his £60m midfielder.

This criticism of Mount has always been there. Even Chelsea fans agree he goes missing in games. The same happens when he plays for England as well.

He goes missing in games, been watching mount as I am a chelsea fan and when the going gets tough his head goes down very fast. He runs a lot and gives his all sort of like a conor gallagher but hes an average player that was overhyped by a lot of us chelsea fans.

Tuchel used him a lot because he was efficient at pressing and was used more like a CAM between werner and Havertz. He is best utilized further up the field not as a 8.

The more he plays as a 8 the more you will see thats not his position. At best he is backup to Bruno