Mason Mount's Many Misfortunes

I started last year's Arse thread and they nearly won the title before collapsing spectacularly. I also started the Darwin Núñez thread and the Thiago one

Shit :nervous:

Can you start a "When will Grylte get laid" thread?

He's not a very exciting player but I thought he looked good from the bits I've seen.

Very tenacious. I liked his mentality to recover the ball quickly. I can see why Ten Hag bought him, alongside Bruno and Casemiro he can be very effective.

Some of you lot are incredible. I did not watch the game but already passing judgement.
We did not bring him in as a talisman. We brought him to be part of a unit that works better and performs greater than the sum of its parts.
Ten Hag is building a team that does the basics at a high level and will work its socks off. I don’t know what some of you lot are expecting.

Obviously never going to be a player who gets you off your seat but his versatility and work-rate will be important for us this season.

He's Fred but without the brain fart and a bit of creativity and range to his passing.

Watched 1st half and thought he worked hard, pressed well, was looking to get involved. 1st game pre season. Will get sharper as weeks go on and more games he will play.

I'm sure all the moaners in here be saying different if that chip had gone in. Came from his own hard work by pressing high up pitch and nicking ball of the CB and clever what he was trying to do with chip.

Obviously never going to be a player who gets you off your seat but his versatility and work-rate will be important for us this season.

He’s capable of playing a lovely through ball and can finish cleanly off either foot? Throw in work rate and leadership that’s exactly what gets me off my seat and gets the rest of the team moving together too, he’s going to be class for us!

Possibly Cleverley as a number 7. Hopefully he'll be a consistent work horse with good technique to add depth. But a number 7 he is not.
He is pretty much the number 7, you might have been watching different game.

Nothing to judge at this point. I remember Ander Herreras first game in pre season, looked like we signed a creative monster.

Threaded a nice through pass in the opening 15 mins and pressed well before attempting an audacious lobbed shot. Then didn't do much for the rest of the half. Didn't see anything that a young Darren Gibson couldn't do

I don't know what people were expecting....he's clearly a very good player and you could see that even today. There were a number of really good passes and combinations coming from him. Very good pressing, great touches of the ball and when you consider he has a good goalscoring record, he's a really good modern player. We didn't buy him to be an explosive winger or ultra creative no.10 or a metronome. You can instantly see the value he brings and that is what we need.

In terms of our chance creation, this will only start really exploding once our wingers start truly causing threats out wide. Bruno and Eriksen were consistently creating last season, but playing through the middle is tough in today's climate. There's very little space to maneuver. Us switching to this 433 will allow mount and bruno to add a combination piece to our flanks. It's clear we struggle to combine on the flanks, particularly on the right flank, this will help alot.

Not his biggest fan but I will give him the benefit of the doubt until we've actually got going in the league first. If you're judging players by 45 mins in a friendly then Emeran should be starting.

Some really nice passes and touches. Worked hard and was all over the place. Good to see him drop deeper but would like to see more in that area.

My biggest issue and perhaps this is not his fault but the positioning of our players and general play was more or less the same as last year, which was basically a 4-2-4 and that's worrying. Of course it doesn't help that it was a mis-mash of players too but I won't read too much into it for now I suppose.

Some cringey posts here. Played 45minutes after what, a week of training. Did ok, nothing special but had a few slick passes. He will be alright.

Played the exact role Eriksen played last season, and not as the right sided CM that some predicted. Seems like he will slot in for Eriksen, as the slightly deeper left sided #8, and Bruno will continue his normal role.

-------Casemiro
---Bruno------Mount

Didn't think he was as bad as some were saying. To be honest preseason performances don't interest me in the slightest. It's fun to analyse a few performances when nothing else is happening but really...it means absolutely feck all in terms of drawing any meaningful conclusions.

How many false dawns have we seen in preseason with youth products that turn out to be incredibly average? Or conversely top players sometimes just going through the motions because they know there's no point in peaking for a friendly match.

If Mount is going to be good he's going to be good because he's a functioning part of a strong team. Which means a peaked team with the better players around him. He's not going to be some inspirational figure.

Didn't think he was as bad as some were saying. To be honest preseason performances don't interest me in the slightest. It's fun to analyse a few performances when nothing else is happening but really...it means absolutely feck all in terms of drawing any meaningful conclusions.

How many false dawns have we seen in preseason with youth products that turn out to be incredibly average? Or conversely top players sometimes just going through the motions because they know there's no point in peaking for a friendly match.

If Mount is going to be good he's going to be good because he's a functioning part of a strong team. Which means a peaked team with the better players around him. He's not going to be some inspirational figure.

Basically this.

Couldn’t give a feck about pre season for anyone other than strikers tbh. And even then I barely care.

It matters when it matters.

He had a solid game people here are just expressing their bias. Compare to Eriksen debut and the response it got.

Troll post from a Chelsea fan…..bitter much? :smirk:;)

Im not bitter at all. I liked Mase in our team, have said it many times. That reel is tragic without knowing the rest of the game. I wish him no ill will as far as his health goes, but do I want him and Kai to bomb hard at top 4 seeking opponents…. Oh why absolutely!

Good in the first half. Invisible in the 2nd like a lot of the other starters ! Should have never given him the no.7.