Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean just because Fred and McTominay are rubbish, and Eriksen is better further forward and doesn't have the legs, is not exactly a great endorsement for Mount, who will also need upgrading in a year's time anyway.

Mount is not going to transform our midfield.

I'm not saying he's just better than Fred, McTominay and Eriksen. I'm saying he should be good enough to be a regular starter for United as an 8. Without needing to be upgraded on.

If reports about the asking price are true, I'm getting doubtful this will even happen.

Chelsea want £85m and United are hoping to complete at £55m. That's a huge gap which I hope United don't close. Not because Mount is a bad player, but because I don't want United to go back to the old days of paying over the top for every single target. Arnold looks to me to be a bit more canny than Woodward and I don't want my bubble burst.

We need a ball carrier from midfield and Mount is the best proportional ball carrier from midfield in the PL.

He’ll do a very good job for us.

Again, how do you know what we need better than the man who will actually plan our tactics? Like many said, Ten Hag might go full 4-3-3, high line, full press direct football similar to Klopp and not possession he was playing before United.
And Mount is perfect for that kind of football, with great attitude.

To strengthen your point, ETH isn't a possession focused manager. He was leaning on possession at Ajax because that's how the team was built by Overmars but if you have a look at Utrecht between 2015-2017, their possession rate was around 51.4% over two seasons.

If you have a look at Ajax in 18-19, the season that had everyone rave about ETH and Ajax, their possession rate in the CL was 52.2%.

Very interesting signing. If I had to hazard a guess, he will be brought in to sit on the right of Bruno as a free 8. He'll do exactly what Bruno is doing right now. Casemiro at the base. Lots of question marks on the price though. With click bait headlines of 80 million just downright absurd. Maybe a decent replacement for Eriksen for 40 million? We'd still need to go after a striker and a keeper. And maybe a centerback as well if Maguire does leave.

Eriksen shouldn’t be rotating with anyone. He should be a squad/backup player and replaced in the 1st XI. If that replacement ends up being Mason Mount I would count that as underwhelming. I wouldn’t go for Rice at the prices being quoted.
Well, realistically who then in your opinion we should go for then?

Are we potentially changing formation? I read somewhere (I know not a great source) that we are potentially looking at a fluid 4-2-2-2. Something like:

DDG

Dalot/AWB
Varane
Licha
Shaw

Casemiro
Rice/Caciedo

Bruno
Mount

Rashford
Hojlund

The names are less important as we don’t have a clue who we’ll eventually sign but we are at least linked with them.

How do we see that working? Mount and Bruno both capable of dropping deep to pick up the ball, both also able to drift into wide areas.

ETH's tactics require the 8 to move into the 10's positions from time to time.

So this makes sense, as Mount has the requisite positional flexibility coupled with extremely high work rate/pressing.

We need better players in our midfield. We also need someone who can spell Bruno from time to time.

Hopefully this is just the start. Maybe Rabiot and another if Fred/McTominay leave.

Is it me or is he a very similar profile to our forgotten man Donny? They are players who play in between the 8/10 lines.

Is Mount a bigger upgrade than Donny? he hardly got a look in.

Again, how do you know what we need better than the man who will actually plan our tactics? Like many said, Ten Hag might go full 4-3-3, high line, full press direct football similar to Klopp and not possession he was playing before United.
And Mount is perfect for that kind of football, with great attitude.
Too much of a transformation to make in the short time. Even if that's the plan we are going to be stuck somewhere in the middle. Still not a good sign. No matter how much I argue nothing is going to change if EtH really wants him. I'm tired of arguing this in this forum, let's wait and watch. If he really is successful I'm prepared to be shamed.

Are we potentially changing formation? I read somewhere (I know not a great source) that we are potentially looking at a fluid 4-2-2-2. Something like:

DDG

Dalot/AWB
Varane
Licha
Shaw

Casemiro
Rice/Caciedo

Bruno
Mount

Rashford
Hojlund

The names are less important as we don’t have a clue who we’ll eventually sign but we are at least linked with them.

How do we see that working? Mount and Bruno both capable of dropping deep to pick up the ball, both also able to drift into wide areas.
Nah it'll be a 433 with inverted wingers. We aren't getting Rice or Caicedo. It would be Rabiot in addition to Mount for the midfield spots, to have Rabiot and Eriksen as the depth midfielders for Casemiro, Bruno and Mount. Ten Hag likes width and always uses inverted wingers, he's a versatile manager but that's always been there.

Is it me or is he a very similar profile to our forgotten man Donny? They are players who play in between the 8/10 lines.

Completely different in the way they play. Mount gets far more involved in all phases and is better in all phases. Donny doesn't ever try anything on the ball the few times a game he gets on it.

Romufc. Your nan would be an upgrade on Donny at this point.

:)

Donny has been here for 3 years and has scored a grand total of 2 goals.

Completely different in the way they play. Mount gets far more involved in all phases and is better in all phases. Donny doesn't ever try anything on the ball the few times a game he gets on it.
I don’t love Mount but he’s miles ahead of Donny

Not sure if Boehly will just let Mount leave tbh.

Just as likely for Mason to sign a new deal at Chelsea after a few bids come in for him from United and Liverpool.

Found it interesting on bbc sport the Chelsea fan they had on their said he wanted Mount as his signing.

Got my answer haha. I guess we really need to ship Donny this summer, I hope we can get 20m or something in that line.

Will be interesting to see how Mount fits in if we do sign him.

Not sure if Boehly will just let Mount leave tbh.

Just as likely for Mason to sign a new deal at Chelsea after a few bids come in for him from United and Liverpool.

Chelsea need to sell home grown players for FFP though and Mount will bring in the most money.

He's rejected a new deal a couple of times with Chelsea already and I don't really see him playing much for them next season considering the new players they've bought in.

Oh boy. Too samey with what we already have. Hes not truly a midfielder. Very similar attributes to Bruno and Sancho.

posted on /r/reddevils, no idea if it's an altered image.

cg1mo2h2jd3b1.jpg
It’s real.

Well he has 13 goals 16 assists last season, so yeh, he is probably a bigger upgrade than our Donny boy.

Those two could not be more different.
They play different positions but their attributes are the same. Which is why I didn't want to sign Sancho in the first place - his best play is not on the wing

Wait this is actually happening? I genuinely thought it was another contract play by him.

Not sure how I feel about it. I mean I'm inclined to trust ETH on this one if he thinks he's what we need (I'm going to put the Wout clown act down to the Glazers not giving us much options).

Yeah 2 goals for a box to box midfielder is pretty bad, his stats are as bad as Wout's goals. I don't have his assist numbers but I don't remember being impressive either. All in all, a passerby in the squad that don't contribute much in the attacks.

Perhaps it's already been mentioned, but I believe Shaw is good friends with Mount. Went on a holiday together with Rice a couple of years ago.

I’ve seen him compared to Lingard, Bruno, Donny and Sancho now in this thread. We must be signing the most complete player of all time consider not a single one of those listed above are alike.

I guess we're all expecting McTominay to be moved on and with our links to Rabiot would fans be content with midfield options of Bruno, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount, Fred and Rabiot ?
Got a fair amount of variety there.

I’ve seen him compared to Lingard, Bruno, Donny and Sancho now in this thread. We must be signing the most complete player of all time consider not a single one of those listed above are alike.
You missed the John O'Shea comparison?

I can only assume ETH is planning to play with two 8s, which we've seen a bit more of recently. In which case I guess Mount makes sense.

We'll certainly need another 6 as cover though. Mount would not combine well with Fred or McT in a more withdrawn role.

£40m seems like a fair price given the situation. £80m would be a joke.

You forgot my comparison, a better version of Kevin Nolan.:cool:

If reports about the asking price are true, I'm getting doubtful this will even happen.

Chelsea want £85m and United are hoping to complete at £55m. That's a huge gap which I hope United don't close. Not because Mount is a bad player, but because I don't want United to go back to the old days of paying over the top for every single target. Arnold looks to me to be a bit more canny than Woodward and I don't want my bubble burst.
If you read the article from the independent suggesting we believed he was worth around half of 55m it suggests that Chelsea put out the article that we were going to bid 55m. Mokbel is a Chelsea correspondent so that would make sense too.
I expect we’ll brief the media soon that a bid of around 30m has gone in.

Status
Not open for further replies.