Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like this singing. He is technically sound, has a good pass on him, is fast for a midfielder, good engine, great against the ball, tactically very flexible, has the ability to assist and to score. An EtH Player, if there is one. What's not to like?

If you're against this signing, take comfort in Chelsea most likely pricing him out of a move.

As a squad player on the cheap, fine. But he is our (central) midfield marquee signing. I dont see him as an 8 at all. He plays in Bruno's position, and is not good enough there against Bruno. I dont get it, we can do better.

Can't say im that excited about this deal, but I can at least see the reasoning. Is he an upgrade on Fred and McT? Absolutely, so in that respect, I like the move. I just hope that we're not pinning our entire season's hopes on him, because he's not the kind of guy to get us an extra 10 to 15 points next season.

Never understood what's special about him but he's a tidy midfielder and every manager he's played for from Lampard, Tuchel and Southgate to Potter seems to rate him highly and now Ten Hag seems to be sold on him, so I look forward to what he brings to the side.

You basically created a scenario were every single other option is a success while United's signing aren't. You could reverse all of them and it would be as realistic.
That's partly because I think most of the other players suit us more and partly because of my scepticism towards the two targets. I am aware this is the worst case scenario but given the availability of the players in CM, it is quite disappointing.

A great signing in my opinion, a technically gifted player that will add some much needed quality competition to the midfield starting line up

As a squad player on the cheap, fine. But he is our (central) midfield marquee signing. I dont see him as an 8 at all. He plays in Bruno's position, and is not good enough there against Bruno. I dont get it, we can do better.

Who'd you rather go for that is a guaranteed upgrade and available?

I get your point, but have a look at @Raees analysis of him on YouTube and you'll see what Ten Hag likely has planned for him. I think we're going to be a lot better and harder to break through than with Eriksen in the team.

(70) How GOOD is Mason Mount? ● Tactical Analysis | Skills (HD) - YouTube

I think we have to accept he will have some sort of premium, even if he comes into improve the overall quality of the squad.

He's 24, coming into his prime and will be able to offer a lot for a long time.
English, homegrown and an international.
Coming from a direct rival.
Premier league proven.

All of those things will add to the premium, as there is much less risk than other transfers. There's no doubt he'll improve our squad and offer us a lot of options over the course of the season, which will ultimately impact us net positive. He's not going to revolutionise us, I agree, so that should be considered in what we're paying, but I can see why we're going for him.

Am I convinced Chelsea will sell at a reasonable price? - no. Poch will love him and they'll sell Kovacic and convince him to stay in my opinion, but he does make a lot of sense to go for.

I see him as what Eriksen is, that line between Bruno and Casemiro. An improvement there for sure without setting the world alight.

problem is in this setup, we still need to play Casemiro each game as McTom and Fred are not good enough screening the back 4. Although Mount would be a good option, I see other priorities for that sum of cash.

He can totally play as an 8. And that is obviously what we are signing him for.

I don't think there's any question he's a starting XI level player at United.

I mean just because Fred and McTominay are rubbish, and Eriksen is better further forward and doesn't have the legs, is not exactly a great endorsement for Mount, who will also need upgrading in a year's time anyway.

Mount is not going to transform our midfield.

Don't really think this is accurate, outside of a terrible season of finishing in 20/21 where we accumulated 68.6 xG and only scored 58. In contrast, Man United had 63.2 xG and scored 73.

In 21/22, we scored 76 in the league despite a completely tumultuous situation off the pitch.
Still the wingbacks created a lot and scored as well IIRC.

I mean just because Fred and McTominay are rubbish, and Eriksen is better further forward and doesn't have the legs, is not exactly a great endorsement for Mount, who will also need upgrading in a year's time anyway.

Has anybody claimed he would?

I see him as what Eriksen is, that line between Bruno and Casemiro. An improvement there for sure without setting the world alight.

problem is in this setup, we still need to play Casemiro each game as McTom and Fred are not good enough screening the back 4. Although Mount would be a good option, I see other priorities for that sum of cash.

Pretty confident we're getting Rabiot as well

I am actually surprised so many are against this, sure he hasn't had a good season but no one in Chelsea has. Judging from previous seasons mount is quality in my opinion and i think he would be a good addition if he can bring that level for us.

Who'd you rather go for that is a guaranteed upgrade and available?

I get your point, but have a look at @Raees analysis of him on YouTube and you'll see what Ten Hag likely has planned for him. I think we're going to be a lot better and harder to break through than with Eriksen in the team.

(70) How GOOD is Mason Mount? ● Tactical Analysis | Skills (HD) - YouTube
Great video if you haven't watched England or Chelsea much, like me. Had no idea about his long range passing, for example.

Passing accuracy of our midfielders:

Bruno Fernandes : 74.4%
Christian Eriksen: 81.0%
Casemiro: 77.9%

Mason Mount: 76.4%

From this signing, and the way our current midfielders play we can't complain about a lack of control next season because of the players qualities. It's clearly intentional, or control/possession isn't that valuable in our set up.

Interesting.. are you able to post where you got these stats from?

https://www.infogol.net/en/player/mason-mount/16882

In the PL this season gone Mount was averaging 81% and 86% the season before

Bruno is also 78% this season in the PL.

It's actually TAA, Bruno, Salah, then Mount. He just pips KdB, but I also think KdB missed a significant chunk of time with injury in 20/21?

So it's definitely somewhat selective, but still pretty noteworthy I'd say.

Thank you, very interesting/surprised to see Mount's name so high up the list.

It might seem a little underwhelming on paper but how many times has the big name signing failed to live up to expectation in recent times. If the manager wants him and thinks he fits the system then I'm all for it.

Read he had something like 11 goals and 16 assist last season. That's elite numbers

Mount & Rabiot would be very underwhelming midfield signings.
It’s not underwhelming when we also have Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen in our squad.

Do people really expect us to sign Rice to rotate with Casemiro, and De Jong to rotate with Eriksen?

So if we were to compare him to Erik's Ajax teams, would he be fulfilling the role that Gravenberch had? I don't see why he can't do that.

What midfielder available is going to transform our midfield?

I personally don’t like the signing but I’m also still in the ‘trust ETH’s vision’ camp. If he sees tools that suit the way he wants to play then I’m happy to see how it plays out.

Mount & Rabiot would be very underwhelming midfield signings.

We are likely going to have to replace McTominay, Donny and Fred this summer. I’d think of them less as underwhelming but a necessity and still an improvement on the outgoing players.

It’s not underwhelming when we also have Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen in our squad.

Do people really expect us to sign Rice to rotate with Casemiro, and De Jong to rotate with Eriksen?

Eriksen shouldn’t be rotating with anyone. He should be a squad/backup player and replaced in the 1st XI. If that replacement ends up being Mason Mount I would count that as underwhelming. I wouldn’t go for Rice at the prices being quoted.

I think he brings the overall quality of our squad higher, which is what we need to do when we're competing in the competitions that we are. The way I look at it is when he starts, he's a good player, and even coming off the bench he's definitely a 'he could come on and score/assist' type of player which is great. The price doesn't sound ideal but it is what it is - trusting Erik on this one!

Last edited:
Not my job to find out. Why do people keep asking this question over and over? How do other teams manage to find quality players over and over?

It's just weird to complain when you don't know how it's going to turn out, also because you can't suggest an alternative.
Very few midfielders would transform our midfield, and I don't think any of them are available. Casemiro did, but he wanted to leave and is a 5 times CL winner and one of the best CDM in the world.
I think De Jong would transform our midfield, but he doesn't want to come.

Still the wingbacks created a lot and scored as well IIRC.

So what? Do you think Mount won't be able to function in a team without wingbacks...?

Half the reason the wingbacks were well placed to succeed was passes from Mount. There's zero question which player was the creative hub in Tuchel's best Chelsea.

It's just weird to complain when you don't know how it's going to turn out, also because you can't suggest an alternative.
Very few midfielders would transform our midfield, and I don't think any of them are available. Casemiro did, but he wanted to leave and is a 5 times CL winner and one of the best CDM in the world.
I think De Jong would transform our midfield, but he doesn't want to come.
How do other clubs sign midfielders that we end up looking at with envy? We are always one step behind in everything we do.

I'm not moaning just for the sake of it. My concern is for the quoted 60m and 250k+ wages when our transfer budget is so constrained, he isn't what we need.

I think he brings the overall quality of our squad higher, which is what we need to do when we're competing in the competitions that we are. The way I look at it is when he starts, he's a good player, and even coming off the bench he's definitely a 'he could come on and score/assist' type of player which is great. The price doesn't sound ideal but it is what it is - trusting Eric on this one!
I agree. Good player, good signing, but hopefully at a lower price.

I'm not moaning just for the sake of it. My concern is for the quoted 60m and 250k+ wages when our transfer budget is so constrained, he isn't what we need.

Again, how do you know what we need better than the man who will actually plan our tactics? Like many said, Ten Hag might go full 4-3-3, high line, full press direct football similar to Klopp and not possession he was playing before United.
And Mount is perfect for that kind of football, with great attitude.

United signing a good midfield player. Two seasons in a row.
It's almost unheard of!

A very good player who will be an asset to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.